Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Leraika posted:

Well, it looks like it's all resolved itself in the end, so there's that.

(you were there, nerd)

I still say you should've just started killing people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Those .45 caliber depleted uranium bullets to kill druggies aren't buying themselves, gradenko.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Sion posted:

So, on the subject of literally fuckin' anything else how's everyone's week shaping up? I'm back at work tomorrow oh no

Ran Dread on Sunday for my indie RPG group. Invited my sister who has never played an RPG before and she had a blast! Won't stop talking about it. The Jenga tower is just the perfect device for horror and suspense.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

gradenko_2000 posted:

To be fair, there's a smidgen of a real issue with what hyphz is describing with his Shadowrun story.

If you can create a character that dumps all their points into Shoot, it's possible if not likely that that character will be able to shoot everything in the premade adventure really easily.

The natural reaction is for the GM to make the monsters harder to shoot, but if the rest of the party did not dump all their points into shoot, then you have this extreme dichotomy where a monster is either piss-easy to be shot by the Shootman while being "just right" for everyone else, or difficult to shoot for the Shootman while being impossible to hit for everyone else.

This is why D&D 4e moved to the "Half-Level Bonus" as a baseline number for all of their stats: the designers realized that in 3e, there was an unsustainable disparity between a character that went all in on AC like a Paladin, versus a caster. Or the disparity between a Fighter's poor Will saves and their good Fort saves. Or the disparity between a skill that you were maintaining full skill points into, versus one that you weren't.

At least with 4e's Half-Level Bonus bringing up the rear, there's still a disparity, but one that is within the range of the d20 to be able to capture (and within the player's power to try and mitigate).

In Shadowrun 5e, the current workaround is to use the Run Faster sourcebook's Life Modules character generation system to buy predefined packages of skills, that result in more well-rounded characters, rather than a pure point-buy where you can buy as many points of Shoot as you can specifically afford.

The Philippines is passing this tax cut bill which is similar to, but not as explicitly rapacious as, the one the US did, and I've been low-key monitoring it all year because there's a special exemption in it that I'm making use of that was rumored to be getting axed.

The exemption is still there in the House version ... it's still there in the Senate version ... it's still there after the bill comes out of conference ... and then on the Friday before Christmas, Duterte uses a line-item veto to strike it (and three other provisions) from the bill.

It's kinda stressing me out because I'm losing anywhere between 500 to 1200 USD a year (I'm converting here) because of it, when I already made the grand decision to buy a car in November and everything is pretty tightly budgeted. HR is gonna have an all-hands later this afternoon, but I'm really doubtful that they're going to give a raise just to make up for it.

That's apart from my mom's business going under just before New Year's and saddling me with 3,400 USD in credit card debt, and the rest of the family in another 8,000 USD, but maybe that's a story for another time.

Wow, that really sucks dude. I wish I could help but I don't know anything about that country set of tax laws, only America's.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Covok posted:

Wow, that really sucks dude. I wish I could help but I don't know anything about that country set of tax laws, only America's.

Thanks. And, to be clear, it's not like I'm gonna starve or anything (COUNTBLANC I WILL THROW IN BUCKS FOR GOFUNDME) - it's sort of a bougie thing to be worried about in the grand scheme of things, it just sucks that it's not like I'm getting universal healthcare out of seeing my taxes go up, right?

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Ugh, best of luck to the both of you.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Hope things work out. I should look into that myself, I can only tell that my income tax is just a tiny margin smaller.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

gradenko_2000 posted:

To be fair, there's a smidgen of a real issue with what hyphz is describing with his Shadowrun story.

If you can create a character that dumps all their points into Shoot, it's possible if not likely that that character will be able to shoot everything in the premade adventure really easily.

The natural reaction is for the GM to make the monsters harder to shoot, but if the rest of the party did not dump all their points into shoot, then you have this extreme dichotomy where a monster is either piss-easy to be shot by the Shootman while being "just right" for everyone else, or difficult to shoot for the Shootman while being impossible to hit for everyone else.

This is why D&D 4e moved to the "Half-Level Bonus" as a baseline number for all of their stats: the designers realized that in 3e, there was an unsustainable disparity between a character that went all in on AC like a Paladin, versus a caster. Or the disparity between a Fighter's poor Will saves and their good Fort saves. Or the disparity between a skill that you were maintaining full skill points into, versus one that you weren't.

At least with 4e's Half-Level Bonus bringing up the rear, there's still a disparity, but one that is within the range of the d20 to be able to capture (and within the player's power to try and mitigate).

In Shadowrun 5e, the current workaround is to use the Run Faster sourcebook's Life Modules character generation system to buy predefined packages of skills, that result in more well-rounded characters, rather than a pure point-buy where you can buy as many points of Shoot as you can specifically afford.

It 's definitely the mark of a less than stellar designed game for sure but i think it shouldn't be too hard for a gm to look at a character sheet and go "hey your character is a bit too specialized tone the x skill down a few points and round them out a bit"

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Elfgames posted:

It 's definitely the mark of a less than stellar designed game for sure but i think it shouldn't be too hard for a gm to look at a character sheet and go "hey your character is a bit too specialized tone the x skill down a few points and round them out a bit"

I think what is most frustrating about something like shadowrun is the general lack of guidance of when a number high enough to be the best as many rpgs never have a point you can reach where you are too good to ever need to increase it, especially at character creation.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Thanks. And, to be clear, it's not like I'm gonna starve or anything (COUNTBLANC I WILL THROW IN BUCKS FOR GOFUNDME) - it's sort of a bougie thing to be worried about in the grand scheme of things, it just sucks that it's not like I'm getting universal healthcare out of seeing my taxes go up, right?

I appreciate the offer, but I don't really feel comfortable taking money from e-strangers (though I don't begrudge those who do). Especially since I do feel pretty strongly about nailing those interviews, but it's been so long since I've been able to get reliable work that it's hard to be truly optimistic

I did play A Hat in Time this last week and really loved it though and might take up speedrunning because of it, it looks like you can reliably get <90 minutes with basic routing (and down to 60 with practice) in any% which is about the ideal run time for me

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jan 10, 2018

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Countblanc posted:

I appreciate the offer, but I don't really feel comfortable taking money from e-strangers

just become friends, blammo

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

kingcom posted:

I think what is most frustrating about something like shadowrun is the general lack of guidance of when a number high enough to be the best as many rpgs never have a point you can reach where you are too good to ever need to increase it, especially at character creation.

To compare and contrast, GURPS tells the GM that they might want to cap stats/skills at somewhere between 16 to 20 to prevent impossible-to-hit/impossible-to-miss scenarios, as well as introduces explicit rules that will cause very high skills to only count as something like 16 or 18 regardless of how the actual number is in certain situations.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

grassy gnoll posted:

I get your intent and and have verified that it ain't me, but how would I know what my desk smells like when I'm not at my desk? You're getting into some weird, pee-scented ontological territory there.

As someone with a philosophy degree, I regret to inform you that all ontological territory is weird and pee-scented.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Antivehicular posted:

I'm not even sure Godbound would work, because the core problem is that the things I loved about Exalted (beyond the general "it was huge in my college scene, you had to be there" stuff) were the weird setting bits, particularly Jenna Moran's work on the line, and where that took me in terms of chargen and imagination -- but that was mostly in a really low-power direction. I could definitely run the "my ideal Exalted game" stuff for him, but given that one of my ideas for that sort of thing is a police procedural game set in a modern-tech city populated by Demon-blooded, it's probably not going to be the actual game as published, you know?
There's a game called Mutant City Blues you might like to check out.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

grassy gnoll posted:

This is the same dude who took fifteen minutes of resettting to get through the Tanker in MGS2 one year.

He sounds really bad at doing speedruns.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Sion posted:

So, on the subject of literally fuckin' anything else how's everyone's week shaping up? I'm back at work tomorrow oh no

Been weirdly productive for a couple of weeks now, using reminders and checklists rather than my memory for task management. Doesn't have any of the other markers of a hypomanic episode, so I'm not sure of the cause. I'm cooking more and my flat's less messy, and as a result I'm feeling... what's that emotion, the one that makes people bare their teeth and make weird barking noises, but that doesn't involve punching people? That one.

Rehearsing this week for a gig, so I hope I can get someone else to write the notes in my Sunday night game because after eight and a half hours drumming over the week, my hands are going to be hosed. Hopefully it's going to be the last session of our L5R beta game. Hopefully both because there's bits of the system I hate with a passion, and because we've been playing this game weekly for a year now and I need a break from fantasy samurai for a bit.

Serf
May 5, 2011

luckily there exists a better shadowrun. sometimes i think it sticks too close to the original game, but overall its way better .

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Splicer posted:

There's a game called Mutant City Blues you might like to check out.

I have MCB and it's great. I just need to get other people to play it with me, but isn't that always the problem?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Serf posted:

luckily there exists a better shadowrun. sometimes i think it sticks too close to the original game, but overall its way better .

no no no, this is actually terrible and reads like written by someone who hates shadowrun

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Elfgames posted:

Oddly that wasn’t the problem. I should clarify we were playing SR 4e. In 4e, all extra successes on a shot carry over to damage, rather than the number being limited by the gun you’re using as in 5e. That makes combat really deadly, and initiative really important.

So the problem was that I was trying to do the whole fiction based ad-lib thing but I couldn’t because of this character. He obviously wanted to play a bad rear end gun fighter but I couldn’t let him, because any threat that could be defeated with a gun would either be over in 30 seconds or so, or beat his initiative and blast the whole party. Any that couldn’t he’d just be twiddling his thumbs. And anyway what’s action cyberpunk fiction without a cool gunfight or two? (Yes I know original style cyber wasn’t based on that.)

The same thing came up a bunch of times. I set up a meeting between two gangs in a warehouse that was intended to be a neat set piece but the players just blocked the entrances and sieged it. The players committed a bunch of crimes but any time Lone Star showed up they just surrendered instantly (because they had no problem with actual atrocities that could be justified as scum-on-scum but didn’t want to touch “innocent” cops), so I had to have them mysteriously never show up or campaign over.

So yea, fiction driven ad-lib rubs me the wrong way. Also I had a friend be bereaved and a bunch of work plans go haywire within the last week so I probably wasn’t in the best mood when I posted that stuff. Sorry.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

hyphz posted:

So the problem was that I was trying to do the whole fiction based ad-lib thing but I couldn’t because of this character. He obviously wanted to play a bad rear end gun fighter but I couldn’t let him, because any threat that could be defeated with a gun would either be over in 30 seconds or so, or beat his initiative and blast the whole party. Any that couldn’t he’d just be twiddling his thumbs. And anyway what’s action cyberpunk fiction without a cool gunfight or two? (Yes I know original style cyber wasn’t based on that.)

Like I said, I don't think the problem is with "the fiction-based adlib thing" so much as the idiosyncrasy of Shadowrun allowing that player to create a character that's so good at shooting that he either trivialized every possible combat encounter, or made the combat encounter lethal to the entire rest of the party.

There's a bunch of ways around it (not the least of which is playing a different game), but I don't think writing off the adlibbing style is part of it.

Like, it's absolutely possible in D&D 3e and 5e to have a character go all-in on AC and have them be very difficult to hit by monsters, and then have that turn into a serious problem because too many monsters are only AC-attacking melee dudes.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Antivehicular posted:

I have MCB and it's great. I just need to get other people to play it with me, but isn't that always the problem?
It's a procedural, trick people into playing a one shot, then later run another one shot "and in hey I still have your sheets from last time!", repeat.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I also played Shadowrun 4e, and had the exact same issues as some of the ones you are describing. My original character idea was this fast-talking gun merchant. But one of the other characters was a PhysAd and we had a mage and a rigger. The PhysAd basically overtook me in terms of social skills so it was literally worse for the party to use me, the original face, over him. There was nothing I could really do about it either, the skill and magic stuff that the PhysAd had were way better than anything I could get as a cyber-augmented human. This drove me to just dump all of my XPs into guns and I managed to convince the GM to give me even more skills in firing a specific gun, and then I also got wired reflexes, which made me a death machine because at least then I could do something meaningful. Unfortunately, the mage that we had basically made combat trivial against anyone else (just send a bunch of spirits into a warehouse to kill everyone), so even my combat skills were useless at that point.

Points to take away from the above:
- Shadowrun (especially 4e) is a badly thought out, badly implemented and badly balanced system. Combat is 100% reliant on getting multiple turns in a single round and doing devastating alpha strike damage so that enemies can't fire back at you.
- It's extremely easy for inexperienced Shadowrun GMs to let the game/players get out of hand because there are so many different exploitable loopholes within the rules/equipment/skills etc, so the only way that you can make the system work as a whole is to severely restrict what your players can do and remove the options that break the game over on its knee. This issue is pretty much re-iterating the first issue.

So the issue that you had in Shadowrun was entirely due to how lovely the system is and how easy it is to exploit. The problem with Shadowrun is that if you attempt to run it fiction-based, it doesn't work because the game uses old design practices. Your line of reasoning is that, because running fiction-first in Shadowrun didn't work, other games like BitD are just as easy and open to exploitation as Shadowrun. But that's not the case: Shadowrun is just a badly made system that just doesn't work unless you spend a lot of time fixing the issues with the system (which, to be honest, is not the job of a GM).

The issue isn't with "fiction driven ad-lib" as you call it, because Shadowrun isn't a system that can work using "fiction driven ad-lib", because it's basically busted from the ground up. Shadowrun is a very old-school D&D-style combat system with minimal integration of rules with theme, unlike PbtA/BitD.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
The fiction ad-lib thing was more triggered by the sea monster encounter in Star Wars. The problem I had is that without a gamist subgame to delegate to a la DnD combat, following the fiction seemed to rob the game of tension because the GM is not the only one familiar with fiction and the players can all see exactly where it is leading.

Serf
May 5, 2011

hyphz posted:

The fiction ad-lib thing was more triggered by the sea monster encounter in Star Wars. The problem I had is that without a gamist subgame to delegate to a la DnD combat, following the fiction seemed to rob the game of tension because the GM is not the only one familiar with fiction and the players can all see exactly where it is leading.

so what you're saying is that you need a codified system to fall back on in every situation so that it can tell you what to do?

assuming you wanted to use the big sea monster as anything other than set dressing (which is totally cool and fine), you could absolutely keep a clock, ticking it down each time the players have a bad roll, and then when it ticks down, the monster manages to breach the hull and now you're dealing with a race against another clock (BitD, p. 16 danger clock -> racing clock)

and since clocks are usually exposed to the players, even if the danger never comes to pass, the players at least know the danger was there. it creates tension

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Star Wars FFG also has a lot of issues, and the one SWFFG pre-made scenario I ran was so bad and rail-roady that we also TPKed several times and our GM had to bail us out and then cut the ending short because it relied on loads of "well you passed this roll but actually because I have to follow the scenario, bad things happen instead". FFG makes pretty bad pre-mades and, overall, pre-mades are railroady and make it difficult to let the fiction build itself because you can't stray off the railroads or otherwise it's difficult to return to the preset scenarios unless you are a very experienced GM, and by that stage you might as well run your own, more creative scenarios.

Again, the issue is that SWFFG uses old design methodology that makes it difficult to impossible to run a game that allows the players to follow the fiction/do things that are outside the confines of the rules/fight things that are not statted up. PtbA and BitD don't have these issues, because they are built ground-up with being able to deal with this sort of problems. The issues that you have were caused by imperfectly crafted systems that are simply bad at trying to evoke the sort of mechanisms that PtbA/other more narrative-driven games have.

I would honestly just recommend you play a PtbA and see how it goes, but I know it can be difficult to get past the mindset that games like D&D/Shadowrun/SWFFG create, because that's the acknowledged and mainstream view of how an RPG should play/feel/act, which is why a lot of people that try narrative-driven games bounce off them, especially after decades of playing D&D, because they attempt to use methodology that was taught them by years of playing D&D into a game that just doesn't work that way.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Let me give an example of how, if there was an hypothetical SW PtbA (which uses rules similar to the ones used by Masks), the scenario with the leviathan would be handled:

- SWFFG: The GM would need to start looking at the rulebook to see if there are stats for the creature, then see if there are any rules for fighting underwater, then if they can't find anything, check splats, and if there truly isn't anything that would fit the stats of the leviathan, make them up wholesale, which might take 10-20 minutes, boring the players. In the end, the GM just tells the players that they can't fight the leviathan.

- Hypothetical SW PbtA: The GM tells the group that a leviathan suddenly breaks into the room, then turns to them and asks "What do you do?". One player says that they use their blaster to attack the beast. The GM tells the player to roll on "Attack a threat directly" move, and maybe tells them that they have a -1 to the roll because of the water filling the room. Player rolls, on 6 or below, bad stuff happens and the GM makes a hard move, on 7-9, the player succeeds at a cost, and on 10+ they succeed really well. Meanwhile, another player says that they try to evacuate people, and the GM tells her to roll on the "Defend the Innocent" move etc etc.

There's still tension, because your characters could fail (and then people could die/other people could die), but you don't have to look up stats/pre-plan for something, because PbtA can cater for any imaginable scenario ever, due to the way that the game is constructed, and the mechanisms of PbtA (at least, for the better ones, there are a load of PbtA which are dogshit because they don't understand how PbtAs are meant to be created mechanically) allow for the above situations seamlessly.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

DigitalRaven posted:

Been weirdly productive for a couple of weeks now, using reminders and checklists rather than my memory for task management. Doesn't have any of the other markers of a hypomanic episode, so I'm not sure of the cause. I'm cooking more and my flat's less messy, and as a result I'm feeling... what's that emotion, the one that makes people bare their teeth and make weird barking noises, but that doesn't involve punching people? That one.

Rehearsing this week for a gig, so I hope I can get someone else to write the notes in my Sunday night game because after eight and a half hours drumming over the week, my hands are going to be hosed. Hopefully it's going to be the last session of our L5R beta game. Hopefully both because there's bits of the system I hate with a passion, and because we've been playing this game weekly for a year now and I need a break from fantasy samurai for a bit.

What issues did you have with the L5R beta, btw?

I've been looking at it, but it's hard for me to get over WEIRD FFG DICE BUY A NEW SET OR THE APP.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Leraika posted:

What issues did you have with the L5R beta, btw?

I've been looking at it, but it's hard for me to get over WEIRD FFG DICE BUY A NEW SET OR THE APP.

For FFGSW there were web pages which were like 10x better than the app, I’m sure there will be for L5R too.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
FFGSW is basically space Shadowrun with funny dice, gear porn and rocket tag combat included.

About the only thing it's missing is multiple initiative passes, but instead the winning move is multi-attacks (so basically the same thing).

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

hyphz posted:

Could you post the name if the adventure because I really want to talk about this fish but I want to fact check first.

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

ImpactVector posted:

FFGSW is basically space Shadowrun with funny dice, gear porn and rocket tag combat included.

About the only thing it's missing is multiple initiative passes, but instead the winning move is multi-attacks (so basically the same thing).

I'll never understand the inclusion of the insane amount of gear in FFGSW. Gear basically never matters in any way in the movies, is it just to sell more splatbooks?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Jimmeeee posted:

I'll never understand the inclusion of the insane amount of gear in FFGSW. Gear basically never matters in any way in the movies, is it just to sell more splatbooks?

cynically, i'd say yes, they're just motivated by wanting to have material to put in more books

even more cynically i'd say its a sympton of the brain rot that pervades so many popular rpgs

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/The_Essential_Guide_to_Weapons_and_Technology

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Splicer posted:

Could you post the name if the adventure because I really want to talk about this fish but I want to fact check first.

I wouldn't be able to get it before Saturday, other than that the series of adventures we went through in the campaign was:

FaD sample
FaD GM screen sample
AoR sample
Onslaught at Arda 1
Chronicles of the Gatekeeper

But there was another similar case way back in Over The Edge, where I ran It Waits. That has the players searching through three locations to find an item (a clue to some intelligent rats I think) and as soon as I described that to the player, he immediately said ".. and it'll be in the last one we look in." That was what it actually said in the book, so I decided to break predictability by sticking it in the second one, but that means they missed one of the environments (although it's a pretty dreadful adventure, one of the three encounters is basically "the PCs see two gangs fight in a weird way then leave")

In a similar one when someone else ran Curse of Strahd for a similar group, there's a cutscene in which the players are going through a graveyard and a bolt of lightning illuminates a corpse hanging from a tree and it's one of the PCs. The player just looked on and said "well, my character would probably think that was terrifying, but for me, it's just meh and cliche"

I guess that's the big issue.. that 90% of railroading, or "Romeroading" (where the PCs are free to choose their actions but the ultimate destination of their actions is predetermined, as in All Roads Lead To Rome) is done in the name of making the game fit fictional standard. "Following the fiction" potentially means that the players will know that whatever they achieve will fit into fiction standards, and since the players know those, they seem to be able to make things a bit predictable and dull, and potentially neutralise mechanics. "Only just escaping" is the horror trope, if we know we're following that fiction, why bother drinking the healing potion? There'll just be more dangers until you're into the "only just" state again, but you don't have to worry about dying either because the fiction is "only just escaping", not "getting killed".

Serf
May 5, 2011

hyphz posted:

I guess that's the big issue.. that 90% of railroading, or "Romeroading" (where the PCs are free to choose their actions but the ultimate destination of their actions is predetermined, as in All Roads Lead To Rome) is done in the name of making the game fit fictional standard. "Following the fiction" potentially means that the players will know that whatever they achieve will fit into fiction standards, and since the players know those, they seem to be able to make things a bit predictable and dull, and potentially neutralise mechanics. "Only just escaping" is the horror trope, if we know we're following that fiction, why bother drinking the healing potion? There'll just be more dangers until you're into the "only just" state again, but you don't have to worry about dying either because the fiction is "only just escaping", not "getting killed".

except when it absolutely is "getting killed" because that is what the fiction would dictate and the gm and player agree on that

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

hyphz, I think you are misunderstanding what "following the fiction" means in the context of narrative games. Following the fiction in the context of narrative games doesn't mean that you march in lockstep with the tropes of a particular genre. It means that that consequences of actions follow the fiction that was previously defined within a previous session that the players and the GM were playing, and that the actions that unfold make sense in terms of both what happened before and what the actors in the scene are and the situation that it is involved. It's just a short hand for "do what makes sense considering the setting and the previous actions of the players". You are misunderstanding what people mean by the term, and I'm not the first person in this thread to point this out. "Following the Fiction" reminders are helpful in narrative games because narrative games don't attempt to provide 'rules as physics' models of the entire world in which the game takes place (which, in my opinion, is impossible anyway).

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
I want to play Hyphz’s nightmare game. A theoretical game where the fiction doesn’t follow. Some sort of surrealist masterpiece, where I try to attack the goblin and flowers sprout up everywhere, and the goblin wasn’t even actually there.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

DalaranJ posted:

I want to play Hyphz’s nightmare game. A theoretical game where the fiction doesn’t follow. Some sort of surrealist masterpiece, where I try to attack the goblin and flowers sprout up everywhere, and the goblin wasn’t even actually there.

David Lynch presents D&D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

DalaranJ posted:

That's one of the old mage: the ascension "end times" scenarios, iirc.