Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Get some fluences so you can ruin your ear for all other clean tone ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Curtis Novak, my bae of pickup-ery, is coming out with some rails soon:

http://curtisnovak.com/pickups/ComingSoon/index.shtml

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

field balm posted:

Thoughts on noiseless single coils itt? Looking at neodymium or stacked I guess, but are these just single coil voiced humbuckers? Should I just suck it up and embrace the hum? What about active single coils? Gonna order some stuff off gfs later I think.

If you do go with stacks remember that they're quite a bit taller than normal single coils and it can cause fit issues (like in my Talman.)

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
I have some Lace Sensors from a poo poo Strat build I've since ripped apart. I was told they were Whites but I think one is a Silver, or whatever Buddy Guy likes.

Bassier, rounder, but I'd lean towards saying they are kinda bland.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Go with lipsticks, they're like the single-coiliest single coils. They don't even have poles! They're just a loving bar!

edit: to reduce hum on my Dano, I keep it in the middle position (parallel, so the bridge and neck are additive instead of averaged), with the tone on the bridge all the way open and rolled off all the way on the neck. I also angled them so the bridge pickup is much closer to the high strings and the neck is much closer to the bass strings. Gives it a strong sound, clear highs and full lows. Plus like half the hum.

Baron von Eevl fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jan 10, 2018

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

its curtains for Kevin posted:

Get some fluences so you can ruin your ear for all other clean tone ever

Still can’t figure out if my CV60s Strat is “good enough” for those. I want them but I feel like they deserve to be in something nicer and US made. I don’t know. I’m usually not too picky about something like that but yeah.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I put a capo on my Tele, and it instantly fixed my sitar-buzzing/low-fret intonation issues, so I guess all of my problems are coming from the cheap plastic nut that came with the kit.

Are Tusq nuts pretty good out of the box? I don't want to spend $80 on a set of nut files, (and I don't think my hands/eyes are good enough to shape proper slots if I had them) so I'd be thrilled if I could just pop in a $10 replacement.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I just finished installing Zhangbucker P90s in a client’s guitar. It was in a Les Paul something or other and I would say they are a good mid/upper tier pickup that don’t approach the best like Lollar but are still quite good. Much better than the stock pickups that were in there and considering the price I want to check out some of their stuff for one of my less expensive guitars that I gutted and need electronics for. Very clear sounding with a lot more high end than the stock pickups and good string separation. Apparently the guy will take almost any custom order so that’s cool too.

Edit: there’s really no way to know how good a precut nut will be on any particular guitar until you drop it in. They are cheap though so I’d get one and do some ghetto nut slot work. When I started I just used a nail file, a sharp straight edge knife and a narrow small saw tooth serrated knife. Doesn’t sound like it but just those things and I could do a serviceable job on my guitars. Proper files make it quicker and easier but if you already have a problem nut and have the time you can get tusq nuts cheap and if you gently caress up then start over on a new one.

rio fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jan 10, 2018

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

What is the go to nut file set?

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
You can also buy nozzle cleaners for welding torches or use old scraps of wound string to file away at a nut and get it to the correct gauge. Jeweller's needle files are good for trimming quick burrs and tidying up cheap plastic flash too but they don't tend to come in a set with most string gauges covered so you have to measure and guess with the tapered files on each slot.

Oh and keep a B2 pencil or softer lead to lube each slot with graphite when you're done.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Jazz A is doing a set with Donny Mccaslin in a few weeks, and we just got the setlist. Like 8 of his songs. Jesus Christ this is a lot more intense than playing regular swing.

And the open guitar solo in Second Line Sally intimidates me :smith:

Just says open, with backgrounds come in on cue...for the final 16 measures. No chord progressions. Just G13. It will be interesting I guess!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Actually I don't care anymore because I decided to use JustinGuitar's app instead and it's working way better for me in terms of keeping my attention and teaching me poo poo I want to learn.

T-minus 20 years til I finally feel good enough to jam with my dad! :bubblewoop:

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Nobody said it, but Yousician is trash anyway. You made the right choice.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Kilometers Davis posted:

Still can’t figure out if my CV60s Strat is “good enough” for those. I want them but I feel like they deserve to be in something nicer and US made. I don’t know. I’m usually not too picky about something like that but yeah.

I'm the opposite: my Partsmaster Jazzmaster is all Warmoth and some Allparts but has "expensive" pickups in it. I would put Fluences in a Squier, I'm that craaaazy. :D

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I mean I’ve already put BKPs in a Squier Tele soooooo

and Antiquity IIs in my JMascis lol

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Kilometers Davis posted:

I mean I’ve already put BKPs in a Squier Tele soooooo

Yesssssssssssss!!!

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party

Kilometers Davis posted:

I've got an American Deluxe that I got cheap many years ago, but it's hard for me to justify $400 on it (if you get the rechargeable battery but maybe that's just stupid) plus installation because I'm literally the world's worst solderer

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
But tone

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I had to turn it down, but sweetwater has a demo version of the black strat loaded fluences for 270 instead of 300. Probably the cheapest a loaded pickguard will be for a while

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Yeah it piqued my interest as soon as someone referred to it as "like Duolingo, but for music." I can see why someone would describe it that way but I'm not sure if I would. Maybe the piano course is better?

Honestly I started to feel pretty weary once I searched for info on it in this thread and found this post from last year:

Hellblazer187 posted:

One thing I have with yousician is I neeever remember the songs unless I'm at the computer looking at the bouncing ball move along. If I like went to a guitar store and wanted to test out a guitar, I wouldn't be able to remember a single thing from Yousician. So, that's a problem.

That's... not exactly what I want to get out of it.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I had to turn it down, but sweetwater has a demo version of the black strat loaded fluences for 270 instead of 300. Probably the cheapest a loaded pickguard will be for a while

Fuuuuck that’s the exact one I want too.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

Kilometers Davis posted:

I know he's been known to use them, so it checks out. That is awesome.

Curious to see what the G&L Jazzmaster style MFD pickups (on the Doheny) are like.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Mak0rz posted:

Honestly I started to feel pretty weary once I searched for info on it in this thread and found this post from last year:

That's... not exactly what I want to get out of it.

Yeah, I switched to Justin's course after about a month or two. I was on like level 7-8 on yousician and it's fun and everything but at least as far as the lead parts were concerned I had zero retention. But like, really whatever keeps you with a guitar in your hand 20-60 minutes a day is the best thing, so if you find yousician fun I think there's benefit to it.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Just the other day I tried Yousician and quit after about 5 minutes. It felt like playing a video game, not like learning the guitar. Not what I'm wanting.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

If anyone doesn’t know, Chicago Music Exchange has been blowing out Gibsons below wholesale prices. I just heard that they got their last shipment from Gibson and when this stock is gone the blowout is over. I am committed not to buying new Gibsons but if I were I would get an ES-330 and ES-Les Paul because the prices are ridiculous so if anyone wants in on that now is the time.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

rio posted:

If anyone doesn’t know, Chicago Music Exchange has been blowing out Gibsons below wholesale prices. I just heard that they got their last shipment from Gibson and when this stock is gone the blowout is over.

that's nuts. cme's one of the biggest fartsniffer boutique shops around; and if gibson's cutting them off, who's left besides bain capital subsidiaries and sweetwater

they just bailed on namm presumably because they're not interested in new distribution

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
People got all pissed off about the CBS/Fender poo poo back in the day, but what Gibson has been doing lately makes that poo poo look downright inconsequential. gently caress Gibson.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Nah, they're bailing on NAMM because they're trying to save money to pay back their debt. I can't really fault them for that as it's a huge amount of money for floor space at a convention that's been drawing less people each year.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Them not being there is pretty symbolic of them struggling to remain relevant and overcome their massive money problems. Practically it does make sense since it is just another Les Paul and some solid bodies no one cares about so why bother.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Yeah, I totally get the symbolic part of it, it just seems like Gibson is kinda trapped in a PR nightmare no matter what they decided to with NAMM. If they went, people would say it's a huge waste of money for a company in such debt and how out of touch they are going despite already revealing their 2018 range; and if they didn't go, well, we can already see the response there.

I'm no Gibson apologist, but I can understand their decision. My hope is that this will lead to a restructuring with a focus on quality over quantity, but I wouldn't be surprised if that doesn't happen.

Chip McFuck fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jan 11, 2018

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
isn't summer NAMM the more guitar orientated show where the winter one is more for everything else anyway?

ragle
Nov 1, 2009
if going to NAMM is profitable they should, if it's not they shouldn't, debt has nothing to do with it
look at Gibson's revenue versus debt and consider what a pittance NAMM is in comparison

Gibson Guitar May Default if Company Can't Refinance Its Debt

quote:

Levered at a rate of 10 times debt to Ebitda, Gibson has $375 million in senior bond debt maturing on Aug. 1, 2018. An additional $145 million in senior bank debt has a springing maturity of June 23, 2018, if the company doesn't manage to refinance the bonds.

The Nashville-based company, famous for its Les Paul guitar, has $1.2 billion in revenue annually, according to Moody's, and manufactures brands Gibson, Philips, Epiphone, Kramer, Baldwin, Onkyo, KRK and Stanton.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Fender has a new offset guitar for NAMM

I have absolutely no idea if I love it or hate it. But it’s new. Something different. Gotta give them credit for that.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Kilometers Davis posted:

I have absolutely no idea if I love it or hate it. But it’s new. Something different. Gotta give them credit for that.

Give me a double hum version with different inlays and I'm loving it.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Kilometers Davis posted:

put a jazzmaster pickup in the neck and sold

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Kilometers Davis posted:

*sigh*

Now I have to buy another guitar...

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Very 70s look to it, like an old Peavey or one of those Norlin Gibsons that nobody liked.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

This, but in a positive way. I'd like the part under the elbow to be a bit, uh, shorter/rounder, I guess?

I think it'd look amazing with just a bridge humbucker, but that's not gonna happen.

e: Am I weird because I like the maple fretboard with black blocks?

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jan 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

You know, you kids really ought to stop getting involved with this stuff.

rio posted:

If anyone doesn’t know, Chicago Music Exchange has been blowing out Gibsons below wholesale prices. I just heard that they got their last shipment from Gibson and when this stock is gone the blowout is over. I am committed not to buying new Gibsons but if I were I would get an ES-330 and ES-Les Paul because the prices are ridiculous so if anyone wants in on that now is the time.

They've been blowing out a lot of Memphis "floor models." You get better prices by calling.

Edit: I think CME will probably keep carrying Gibsons. Just that Gibson massively overproduced and needs to dump this stuff fast for cash. Probably something to do with their debt situation as other posters have pointed out.

Killbot fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jan 11, 2018