Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Haifisch posted:

What does #addictionrecovery have to do with this?
Much like other cults, MLMs often market to people in vulnerable mental states i.e. sexual abuse survivors (Younique is especially gross about this) and recovering addicts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

It would be sick if Jesus materialized and started whipping banking CEOs to death.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

computer angel posted:

It would be sick if Jesus materialized and started whipping banking CEOs to death.

That would be amazing for a number of reasons, some of which would even be theological.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Youth Decay posted:

Much like other cults, MLMs often market to people in vulnerable mental states i.e. sexual abuse survivors (Younique is especially gross about this) and recovering addicts.

I think it taps into this inner need to be wanted/desired/respected/valued. Vulnerable people are susceptible because they might be more starved for validation. That might explain why they don't seem to be fazed by making so little; perhaps to them the validation of running a ~successful business ~

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Phanatic posted:

The Bible is BWM:

An IRA is unChristian. Those cousins know what's up.

You can plan for the future without being greedy and materialistic. Or at least I can.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Haifisch posted:

What does #addictionrecovery have to do with this?
What does #mastersdegree have to do with it either? Apparently its a pretty lovely master's degree if they are dumb enough to end up a Younique distributer.

Chocolate Milk
May 7, 2008

More tea, Wesley?
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/7pcmei/realtor_had_someone_else_apply_for_a_mortgage_in/?st=JC968JW4&sh=10e75311

This is not bad with money for OP but realtor is definitely bad with money because this is not going to work out well for her.

quote:

I also posted this over in legaladvice, wanted to check with you all too in case you know something on the mortgage side.

Around a month ago, my spouse and I filled out an application to rent a home, and were told our credit would be pulled. We gave the realtor our information to run a credit check, which was then passed along to a woman associated with the realty who ran a credit check.

Today we received a bunch of paperwork in the mail from a lending company congratulating us on applying for a mortgage. We contacted the loan officer, who confirmed that a mortgage application was filled in our names but there was no property attached to the loan.

We then contacted the woman who ran the credit check, and she said that in order to pull our credit, she applied for a mortgage with this company. She said "don't worry, there's no property attached so it's not a REAL mortgage, and this is how all credit checks are run".

Sounded fishy to us, so we went and contacted the credit bureaus to freeze our credit. Transunion then told us that someone had logged into the Transunion website as us and checked our credit reports - this was done on the same day that the mortgage application was filled out.

So basically this woman applied for a mortgage to pull our credit, and then logged into Transunion pretending to be us and checked our credit.

Setting aside the obviously illegal Transunion identity theft piece, we have two questions:

1) Is this normal procedure/legal for someone to apply for a mortgage in order to check someone's credit? We obviously didn't authorize her to apply for a mortgage in our names.

2) If not, any advice on what we should do?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I don't understand law enough to know exactly how illegal that is but it sounds really really really illegal

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Oh no. Oh nooo. Oh noooooooooooooooooo.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
How To Talk To A Family Member About Politics And Also The Fact That Their New Jewelry Business Is A Pyramid Scheme

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

computer angel posted:

I had a (non-religious) friend in college who printed out slips of paper with the "It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven" quote on them.

He then went to church parking lots on Sunday and slipped them under the windshield wipers of the various BMWs, Mercedes, etc.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

SlyFrog posted:

I had a (non-religious) friend in college who printed out slips of paper with the "It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven" quote on them.

He then went to church parking lots on Sunday and slipped them under the windshield wipers of the various BMWs, Mercedes, etc.

But you see, the Eye of the Needle is gate to a particular city and doesn't actually literally mean an actual eye of a....aaaaaaabbbaabaaaarfffffrationalization....

Now we prescribe to the idea that if God didn't want you to be rich you wouldn't be rich.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

My grandparents also believe that the whole “As you have done for the least of these, you have done for me” thing is by country and not by person because it says God gathers all the nations of the Earth. Individual responsibility absolved.

They’re also Mennonites (pacifists) who believe that it’s our duty to support Israel in their war against Palestine.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jan 10, 2018

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Chocolate Milk posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/7pcmei/realtor_had_someone_else_apply_for_a_mortgage_in/?st=JC968JW4&sh=10e75311

This is not bad with money for OP but realtor is definitely bad with money because this is not going to work out well for her.

Well, I mean, if it's not a real mortgage application then where's the harm? Seems like everything is above board here. Just a normal everyday "pull, apply, commit identity fraud to check" mortgage prequalification. Talk about getting worked up over nothing! :rolleyes:

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

22 Eargesplitten posted:

My grandparents also believe that the whole “As you have done for the least of these, you have done for me” thing is by country and not by person because it says God fathers all the nations of the Earth. Individual responsibility absolved.

They’re also Mennonites (pacifists) who believe that it’s our duty to support Israel in their war against Palestine.
If the BWM thread has taught us nothing else, it's that people have a tendency not to be entirely rational most of the time.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

My grandparents also believe that the whole “As you have done for the least of these, you have done for me” thing is by country and not by person because it says God fathers all the nations of the Earth. Individual responsibility absolved.

Clearly talking about individuals, unless countries can also be sick or in prison and need visiting.

Oddly enough, Judas's main beef with Jesus is that he was Bad With Money:

John 12:1 posted:

Six days before the Passover, Jesus came to Bethany, where Lazarus lived, whom Jesus had raised from the dead. Here a dinner was given in Jesus’ honor. Martha served, while Lazarus was among those reclining at the table with him. Then Mary took about a pinta of pure nard, an expensive perfume; she poured it on Jesus’ feet and wiped his feet with her hair. And the house was filled with the fragrance of the perfume.

But one of his disciples, Judas Iscariot, who was later to betray him, objected, “Why wasn’t this perfume sold and the money given to the poor? It was worth a year’s wages.”

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

BarbarianElephant posted:

Clearly talking about individuals, unless countries can also be sick or in prison and need visiting.

Oddly enough, Judas's main beef with Jesus is that he was Bad With Money:
You can't pull that out and leave out literally the next line:

John 12:6 posted:

[. . .]It was worth a year’s wages.” He did not say this because he cared about the poor but because he was a thief; as keeper of the money bag, he used to help himself to what was put into it.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

also the idea that the poor can't have nice things

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Literally in bad faith :v:

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

canyoneer posted:

Literally in bad faith :v:
:downsrim:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

No Butt Stuff posted:

also the idea that the poor can't have nice things

98% of the poor in Israel have a bucket.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

BarbarianElephant posted:

I meant that it’s how the countries treat the poor / sick / imprisoned. I meant gathers, not fathers.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
You have the parable of the rich man, who asked how he could follow Jesus, and was told to give up everything he owned and follow him (he didn’t); GWM

You have the parable of another rich man, whose dogs ate better than the beggars at his gate because they got the scraps from his table, but went to hell for it.

You have the story of Zacchaeus, a tax collector and therefore hated as a traitor to his fellow Jews for selling out to the Roman Empire*, but Jesus called him by name and he ended up giving half his wealth to the poor. BWM

There are quite a few more, but looks like following Jesus is bad with money :monocle:

*(Fun note: as I understand it, Romans outsourced their tax collection in territories and Satrapies by having an auction to who could collect the most. These bidders then could keep any extra they were able to scrounge up, so there was an incentive to lie cheat and steal; explains the hatred, beyond just having the foreign entity taking your money)

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

DarkHorse posted:

You have the parable of the rich man, who asked how he could follow Jesus, and was told to give up everything he owned and follow him (he didn’t); GWM

You have the parable of another rich man, whose dogs ate better than the beggars at his gate because they got the scraps from his table, but went to hell for it.

You have the story of Zacchaeus, a tax collector and therefore hated as a traitor to his fellow Jews for selling out to the Roman Empire*, but Jesus called him by name and he ended up giving half his wealth to the poor. BWM

There are quite a few more, but looks like following Jesus is bad with money :monocle:

*(Fun note: as I understand it, Romans outsourced their tax collection in territories and Satrapies by having an auction to who could collect the most. These bidders then could keep any extra they were able to scrounge up, so there was an incentive to lie cheat and steal; explains the hatred, beyond just having the foreign entity taking your money)

Well, and, apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh-water system, and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

DarkHorse posted:

That, and the tax payments were purely a tribute from the conquered to the conqueror exacted at swordpoint. Aside from a few roads the populace got nothing from the deal.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

Well, and, apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh-water system, and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?

one reading of jaspers's the axial age is that the religions of the world came from a reaction to the money systems of the world (cf. graeber's debt), because the money systems of the world worked wonderfully and life was poo poo. actually, made shittier by the money system

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

Romanes eunt domus!

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Goons delenda est.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Why are you guys casting Harry Potter spells?

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Is this GWM? There's no such thing as a free horse.

If any of you in AZ want a horse (or 50 of them) here's your guy.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Son is GWM

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Gonna make a lot of money selling horse trusts to old people who are afraid of their GWM heirs selling or dissassembling all their pretty horses. :kheldragar:

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I would hate to see all these house put down

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Moneyball posted:

Son is GWM

Surely they're worth a couple bucks each at auction; for peak GWM the son should have called Elmer's and Gorilla Glue first and tried pitting them against each other before trying to get rid of these house on Facebook (??).

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

Hoodwinker posted:

You can't pull that out and leave out literally the next line:

I’m pretty sure this country was founded on selectively quoting and the Bible, then interpreting it entirely without any historical context.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

howdoesishotweb posted:

I’m pretty sure this country was founded on selectively quoting and the Bible, then interpreting it entirely without any historical context.
Just pretend I do all the work of quoting individual words from vastly different sections of the Bible so it says, "Make America Great Again," like a letter compiled from magazine scraps sent by a kidnapper asking for ransom.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Teeter posted:

Is this GWM? There's no such thing as a free horse.

If any of you in AZ want a horse (or 50 of them) here's your guy.

I wonder how much slaughterhouses pay for horse meat anyway.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Vox Nihili posted:

I wonder how much slaughterhouses pay for horse meat anyway.

You could probably sell the lot to a senior class for a kick rear end prank.

Horse heads in every teacher's bed.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

52 horses, one to eat for every week of the year. Frankly, that's just wasteful to give them away. You could be eating horse steak every night!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

quote:

Doug Verstraete, manager of Beaver Hill Auctions, said the price of loose horses averaged 55 to 60 cents a pound, but some prices reached as high as 70 cents per lb.

A young horse is probably around 1000lbs, so you're looking at maybe $600 a horse? So if you can pitch them at all at that average, you're looking at $30,000 to not own 50 horses, which is a pretty great deal!