Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Xinder posted:

I've got a 2e question, since I'm somewhat new to it. When should I engage my party in social maneuvering? They talked down an alchemist pointing a gun at them and I almost had them use it there, but then I looked at how it worked and realized it wouldn't fit in that situation.

The game I'm running is Promethean, btw.

Whenever the consequences/reward would be worth spending just as much time as a full combat would take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I think we touched on this a couple weeks ago, but ghosts and spirits share the same Twilight, right? It just requires different senses to perceive them?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Soonmot posted:

I think we touched on this a couple weeks ago, but ghosts and spirits share the same Twilight, right? It just requires different senses to perceive them?

Twilight is 'the state of being incorporeal' and ghosts and spirits are basically on different frequencies.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Soonmot posted:

Ghosts and spirits in Twilight states cannot naturally see or touch each other. Ghostly Twilight is distinct from spiritual Twilight, which is distinct from goetic Twilight, which is distinct from angelic Twilight. Similarly, powers that let you see into and touch beings in one form of Twilight don't extend to other forms.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

I Am Just a Box posted:

Ghosts and spirits in Twilight states cannot naturally see or touch each other. Ghostly Twilight is distinct from spiritual Twilight, which is distinct from goetic Twilight, which is distinct from angelic Twilight. Similarly, powers that let you see into and touch beings in one form of Twilight don't extend to other forms.
A mage could probably cast a spell that would let you interact with all forms of twilight, but it would have the side effect of making you sparkle in the sunlight.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Ghosts (plus Angels) are in Twilight. Spirits, the Werewolf animism kind, are in the Shadow. They are different places

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jan 10, 2018

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Basic Chunnel posted:

Ghosts are in Twilight. Spirits are in the Shadow. They are different places

Twilight is the ephemeral state ghosts and spirits are in when they're hovering invisibly around Earth, whether because a ghost is still anchored to the living world or a spirit left the Shadow to mess with resonance sources. The equivalent to spirits being in the Shadow would be ghosts being in the Underworld.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Twilight isn’t a place, it is the state of incorporeality. And spirits in the world of flesh are naturally in a twilight state.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
Twilight is a novel series, and a horse

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Bedlamdan posted:

Twilight is a novel series, and a horse
You brought me here but can you take me back again?

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Hi so since this is basically the white wolf thread, is it okay to ask about scion and where the gently caress that's gotten to in here or is there somewhere else for that?

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Sion posted:

Hi so since this is basically the white wolf thread, is it okay to ask about scion and where the gently caress that's gotten to in here or is there somewhere else for that?

Scion gets talked about here, yeah. Rattus summarizes stuff from the backer previews from time to time and there's usually a small flurry of discussion each time. Last word was that Scion: Origin is almost done and would be out in preview draft form to backers soon, I think. How soon soon is is open to question, though.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

unseenlibrarian posted:

Scion gets talked about here, yeah. Rattus summarizes stuff from the backer previews from time to time and there's usually a small flurry of discussion each time. Last word was that Scion: Origin is almost done and would be out in preview draft form to backers soon, I think. How soon soon is is open to question, though.

That's still my understanding as well.

I do like that the pantheon descriptions aren't quite so... well... first edition. Like I now feel mostly safe in hoping that Artemis is a goddess of the hunt and not of sexy lesbians.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jan 10, 2018

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Artemis?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

unseenlibrarian posted:

Before the end of the month is my personal hope.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I'm looking forward to it but expect me to grump about the Norse gods. Not because there'll be anything wrong with the books stance, but because I'm inevitably going to mix up my bizarre syncretic views with what's actually in the source texts.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yup. It was early. Athena, if I remember right, was vaguely close to the original (although I'm pretty sure they reminded you how voluptuous she was).

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Well if everybody doesn't constantly want to gently caress the gods, where are all these scions coming from hmmm? :colbert:

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Spontaneous generation, clearly. Nature abhors a vacuum and will produce a baseline amount of scions over a period of time to fill a specific ecological and theological niche. As long as the circumstances of spawning are ideal, they will just appear from nothingness and people of no previous importance.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

Well if everybody doesn't constantly want to gently caress the gods, where are all these scions coming from hmmm? :colbert:

Back when I ran Scion forever (i loved the concept so much i was willing to overlook its many, many flaws) I had a scion born from two other scions because that's still half-divine blood, whatever.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Scion 2E also has the option of "The Scion is a new version of an existing god, reincarnating themselves in mortal flesh for reasons."

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

unseenlibrarian posted:

Scion 2E also has the option of "The Scion is a new version of an existing god, reincarnating themselves in mortal flesh for reasons."

I appreciate moving away from loving ALL THE TIME that 1e was really into, so this is nice.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Yeah, I'm genuinely very excited about new Scion. I love the concept, and I even ran a non-Storyteller Scion-type thing where you could be descended from the gods, a chosen champion of a god, or pretty much whatever. It was real good and I'm glad that is being incorporated in the actual game now.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

Nessus posted:

You brought me here but can you take me back again?

It's either real or it's a dream there's nothing that is in between!

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Oh man, if they sell enough tickets (I think they need about 50 more sales), there's going to be a local screening of the WoD documentary.

I'm not sure if it'll be a trainwreck worth shelling out $20 for though.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

unseenlibrarian posted:

There's also Chosen (someone got picked to get a portion of a god's powers) and Created (someone made you out of clay or wood or something)

I'm beyond hyped for Scion 2e and keep compulsively checking my email for the text release

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

cptn_dr posted:

Oh man, if they sell enough tickets (I think they need about 50 more sales), there's going to be a local screening of the WoD documentary.

I'm not sure if it'll be a trainwreck worth shelling out $20 for though.

Depending very slightly on where you live, I cannot imagine selling 50 tickets to something like that, especially at 20 bucks a seat.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

Depending very slightly on where you live, I cannot imagine selling 50 tickets to something like that, especially at 20 bucks a seat.

Yeah, I don't really expect it to. Especially since anyone in the city who remembers the old Vampire larp that used to run gets a thousand yard stare every time WoD is mentioned (as far as I can tell, it pretty much destroyed the larp scene here - WoD and otherwise - for about a decade. I didn't live here at the time, and people are pretty reluctant to talk about it, but I gather it had all the usual larp problems, compounded by a comparatively small community).

Still, there miiiight be enough non-larp grognards around who want to squeeze into some leather and relive the glory days... Okay, I've convinced myself not to go.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I sort of want to see it just to see how badly they wallpaper over the years from 1996 to 2011.

"Lo and then Vampire 20th anniversary edition sprang fully formed from seafoam and sold itself and absolutely no other roleplaying games were published in the previous 8 years. As was spoken by our prophet Rein dot Hagen. So shall it be."

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Blockhouse posted:

There's also Chosen (someone got picked to get a portion of a god's powers) and Created (someone made you out of clay or wood or something)
Also cool poo poo like Wesir/Osiris needing to ask Aset/Isis to appoint scions for him, since he can't father or even adopt them himself.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Also cool poo poo like Wesir/Osiris needing to ask Aset/Isis to appoint scions for him, since he can't father or even adopt them himself.

That's the poo poo that happens when you lose your penis and your pantheon's symbolism is fuckin' obsessed with sex.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Blockhouse posted:

I'm beyond hyped for Scion 2e and keep compulsively checking my email for the text release

Chosen seem like a nice way around the tedious 'you're actually the Scion of another god but the god who LIKES you can't/won't breed' that came up.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 10, 2018

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
So what horrible garbage did White Wolf force OPP to put in Beckett's Jyhad Diary?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Pope Guilty posted:

So what horrible garbage did White Wolf force OPP to put in Beckett's Jyhad Diary?

I think they added references to the Beckoning, which still pretty mysterious, but Neall seemed to indicate that they were overall pretty happy with it the way it was.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
So nothing like the Changing Ways bullshit?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
If anything it's more progressive than before instead of less. Neall talked a bit about wanting to make the most prominent trans character in Vampire less awful, so Sascha Vykos is now "they" instead of "it" and has given up on tentacles-for-tentacles-sake.

This leads to a mildly funny scene after the (mostly off-camera) bit where Sascha, having failed to give birth to their inhuman progenitor who was lurking inside their body since Dark Ages: Vampire, has adopted a more human shape, and Beckett is basically "so does this mean you're a dude now" and Sascha is basically "what? No. God, no. That was one thing and this is another; Beckett is an idiot."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rand Brittain posted:

If anything it's more progressive than before instead of less. Neall talked a bit about wanting to make the most prominent trans character in Vampire less awful, so Sascha Vykos is now "they" instead of "it" and has given up on tentacles-for-tentacles-sake.

This leads to a mildly funny scene after the (mostly off-camera) bit where Sascha, having failed to give birth to their inhuman progenitor who was lurking inside their body since Dark Ages: Vampire, has adopted a more human shape, and Beckett is basically "so does this mean you're a dude now" and Sascha is basically "what? No. God, no. That was one thing and this is another; Beckett is an idiot."

Huh. You know, I never thought of Vykos as trans? They were just... Vykos.

It'd be funny to get Lambach's reaction to their little hobby.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

Huh. You know, I never thought of Vykos as trans? They were just... Vykos.

I think Vykos was called "it" because they had discarded all of their humanity in pursuit of total monstrousness like the Tzimisce strive for, but referring to a gender neutral character as "it" is a bad idea nowadays. It always felt awkward to me- I kept wanting to default to "he".

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
I once had an argument with someone who kept trying to use 'it' as the gender-neutral pronoun for all vampires, period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Attorney at Funk posted:

I once had an argument with someone who kept trying to use 'it' as the gender-neutral pronoun for all vampires, period.

i mean...they are all inhuman monsters, i guess