Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

This seems extremely cool and good, what's the catch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Lightning Knight posted:

This seems extremely cool and good, what's the catch?

https://twitter.com/ReutersUS/status/950936879918190594

They still don't have to process new applications.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

King of Solomon posted:

They still don't have to process new applications.

Ah, that's lovely. How many people are going to be hosed over by that?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

it's actually not a thing that USCIS should be doing

Why not?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

self unaware posted:

she's a billionaire dude, please get your brain worms treated

Having money doesn't make you evil. What you choose to do with your money and privilege can.

Or are you suggesting that FDR didn't really care about the poor?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Having a billion dollars makes you some grade of evil, yes.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Alter Ego posted:

Or are you suggesting that FDR didn't really care about the poor?

yeah, brain worms

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Chilichimp posted:

Having a billion dollars makes you some grade of evil, yes.

I'd be willing to entertain the notion that a purely creative artist who made that much money might not necessarily be evil. Like, J.K. Rowling doesn't seem to have done anything overtly horrible.

On the other hand, Rowling isn't a billionaire any more because she gave away so much money it moved her off the billionaires list. Which, y'know, Oprah has not done.

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

Didn't Rowling go from being extremely supportive of social safety nets that let her right her books in the first place to screaming that Jeremy Corbyn must be stopped at all costs as she claws at her gold? Money breaks people's brains.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Iron Twinkie posted:

Didn't Rowling go from being extremely supportive of social safety nets that let her right her books in the first place to screaming that Jeremy Corbyn must be stopped at all costs as she claws at her gold? Money breaks people's brains.

That did not happen at all, you can answer poo poo like this with a quick google search to at least see if you're in the right ballpark.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'd be willing to entertain the notion that a purely creative artist who made that much money might not necessarily be evil. Like, J.K. Rowling doesn't seem to have done anything overtly horrible.

On the other hand, Rowling isn't a billionaire any more because she gave away so much money it moved her off the billionaires list. Which, y'know, Oprah has not done.

She's New Labour, so, you know.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

No Butt Stuff posted:

That did not happen at all, you can answer poo poo like this with a quick google search to at least see if you're in the right ballpark.

I mean

https://mobile.twitter.com/jk_rowling/status/771222307297636352

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
It’s pretty remarkable that people are SeriousPosting about Oprah, a person who has made no indication that she is running for President.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEUP

Democrazy posted:

It’s pretty remarkable that people are SeriousPosting about Oprah, a person who has made no indication that she is running for President.

Make no mistake, her desire to run for president was leaked precisely to test the waters of public opinion.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Yes, she didn't like Corbyn, but it wasn't because she was pawing at her gold, which is the point I was getting at.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Her reason for crusading against Corbyn is that she thinks he is an ineffectual / antagonistic leader, unlike the Labour mainstream. Since her argument seems to overlap pretty much 1:1 with the neoliberal consensus on the "new way of politics" and has no foundation in empirical performance of Corbyn's internal party opposition, it is only fair to ask if it is motivated by sharing ideology with the proponents of the neoliberal consensus. And if we suspect she does share their viewpoints, we can't separate her hating Corbyn from supporting "pro-market" welfare for the wealthy and suppressing popular movements as inconvenient to rational, moderate governance. Those things come as a package deal.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jan 10, 2018

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Lmao people have been talking about Oprah running for loving decades. Let it go until something concrete happens. I'm tired of having to defend her from bullshit attacks and random sourceless accusations.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

steinrokkan posted:

Her reason for crusading against Corbyn is that she thinks he is an ineffectual / antagonistic leader, unlike the Labour mainstream. Since her argument seems to overlap pretty much 1:1 with the neoliberal consensus on the "new way of politics" and has no foundation in empirical performance of Corbyn's internal party opposition, it is only fair to ask if it is motivated by sharing ideology with the proponents of the neoliberal consensus. And if we suspect she does share their viewpoints, we can't separate her hating Corbyn from supporting "pro-market" welfare for the wealthy and suppressing popular movements as inconvenient to rational, moderate governance. Those things come as a package deal.

cool, so you're just assuming.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's called thinking, try it.

Even if she is not consciously ideological (which is most likely), she is guilty of propping up a political structure responsible for regressive policies, Tory dominance etc.

It's a typical case of a celebrity using their public presence recklessly.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jan 10, 2018

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Paracaidas posted:

She's New Labour, so, you know.

Anyone on the left-wing spectrum is at worst a confused ally. Either you have a herd instinct and care about your fellow human beings, or you don't. The left isn't really in a position right now to conduct purity purges.

Yeah exactly I might disagree with her on any given specific thing but overall she's disagreeing about paths, not disagreeing about goals.

steinrokkan posted:

This is an extremely tenuous argument based on multiple layers of guilt by association.

Rather than assuming she's just squatting on her gold-hoard, itt's equally possible (for example) that she genuinely wants to help the less fortunate but it's hard to keep perspective when you're living in a castle, or that she's older and thus has the learned helplessness of the boomer left, most of whom still think the faintest pink tinge to your politics is electoral poison and must be covered over at all costs.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jan 10, 2018

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Chilichimp posted:

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEUP

Make no mistake, her desire to run for president was leaked precisely to test the waters of public opinion.

Seth Myers and the Crooked Media guys spitballed the joke on their podcast about encouraging Oprah to run by telling her not to, Seth used it at the Golden Globes, and then the media ran with it

You're advocating some weird conspiracy stuff that her puppet-mastering was the genesis of this rather than a fun knock-on effect

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I don't know how anybody can take "this person might run!" stories seriously before we've even gotten to the midterms. It's all just clickbait.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Koalas March posted:

Lmao people have been talking about Oprah running for loving decades. Let it go until something concrete happens. I'm tired of having to defend her from bullshit attacks and random sourceless accusations.

You don't have to defend a billionaire.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Devor posted:

Seth Myers and the Crooked Media guys spitballed the joke on their podcast about encouraging Oprah to run by telling her not to, Seth used it at the Golden Globes, and then the media ran with it

You're advocating some weird conspiracy stuff that her puppet-mastering was the genesis of this rather than a fun knock-on effect

When it was first leaked, the story was "2 sources close to Oprah say she's mulling running for president". If that was just bullshit, sorry for my assumption.

I would like to see her run for Senate before President if she decides to run for anything.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Typical Pubbie posted:

You don't have to defend a billionaire.

Come the gently caress on. She's still a black woman who gets hosed up attacks leveled against her

And it's not like all the money in the world stopped a couture store from kicking her and refusing to sell her poo poo because they thought she couldn't afford it. So you can loving miss me with that bullshit.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Anyone on the left-wing spectrum is at worst a confused ally. Either you have a herd instinct and care about your fellow human beings, or you don't. The left isn't really in a position right now to conduct purity purges.

If the left doesn't conduct "purity purges", (which is a very loaded way of describing a demand for political accountability) the right (aka New Labour) will happily purge them in turn, as they have demonstrated multiple times.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Koalas March posted:

Billionaires don't need you to defend them :shrug:

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

steinrokkan posted:

It's called thinking, try it.

Even if she is not consciously ideological (which is most likely), she is guilty of propping up a political structure responsible for regressive policies, Tory dominance etc.

It's a typical case of a celebrity using their public presence recklessly.

that tweet you're responding to is her specifically making GBS threads on "helping torries" so maybe I just don't respect this topic enough to bother understanding your outrage, or you're convinced she's pro-market regardless of evidence to the contrary.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jan 10, 2018

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Real talk if I see anything say some hosed up racist/misogynistic poo poo I'm gonna speak up. I don't care if it's about Beyonce (love), Oprah (indifferent) or Omarosa (hate), that poo poo don't fly.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

It's 2018 and you're still operating under the assumption that neoliberals "care about their fellow human beings".

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Chilichimp posted:

that tweet you're responding to is her specifically lovely on "helping torries" so maybe I just don't respect this topic enough to bother understanding your outrage, or you're convinced she's pro-market regardless of evidence to the contrary.

She considers Corbyn to be "helping" Tories by not being a third way centrist, i.e. one of the people responsible for Tories being in power through their sheer unlikability. It's respectability politics to the core.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

steinrokkan posted:

If the left doesn't conduct "purity purges", (which is a very loaded way of describing a demand for political accountability) the right (aka New Labour) will happily purge them in turn, as they have demonstrated multiple times.

What do you think political accountability means in the context of a wizard lady who donates hundreds of millions to left-wing causes and also is snarky on twitter but is not an elected official or candidate for office

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

large adult son posted:

It's 2018 and you're still operating under the assumption that neoliberals "care about their fellow human beings".

Rowling has demonstrated that she cares about her fellow human beings via her extensive charitable work. It's not an assumption.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Koalas March posted:

Real talk if I see anything say some hosed up racist/misogynistic poo poo I'm gonna speak up. I don't care if it's about Beyonce (love), Oprah (indifferent) or Omarosa (hate), that poo poo don't fly.

same.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Chilichimp posted:

When it was first leaked, the story was "2 sources close to Oprah say she's mulling running for president". If that was just bullshit, sorry for my assumption.

I would like to see her run for Senate before President if she decides to run for anything.

Fair enough. But if I was a public figure who makes money off my brand, I wouldn't dump cold water on free publicity and play coy, too.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Nuance is counterrevolutionary, friend.

Koalas March posted:

Hold on.... you're saying just because a person is bad in a lot of ways, that doesn't make it okay to attack them on a racial or sexist level? What the hell am I supposed to do, criticize their actions and philosophies without coding their gender, race, or orientation into my complaints?

Seems awfully hard KM.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Omarossa is an evil person

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Devor posted:

Fair enough. But if I was a public figure who makes money off my brand, I wouldn't dump cold water on free publicity and play coy, too.

Yeah but this whole, "sources close to..." and "friend of x..." poo poo is almost always intentionally leaked.

See Comey's law professor friend leaking stories about Trump for him. It's just a way to get things out without having to openly admit you ever wanted it out.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

What do you think political accountability means in the context of a wizard lady who donates hundreds of millions to left-wing causes and also is snarky on twitter but is not an elected official or candidate for office

Rowling herself would be fine if she stopped lending fake legitimacy to people undermining her stated goals. Her charity work means nothing if it is eroded by terrible politics. Accountability refers to Rowling dismissing the person who arose as a response to the failures of the "mainstream" Labour faction, campaigning against him is hurtful to the process of taking politicians responsible for the problems of their party to task, it only aids their mission of building a protective bubble around themselves.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jan 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Paracaidas posted:

Nuance is counterrevolutionary, friend.

Oh yeah, come the revolution I'll certainly be purged

• Locked thread