Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

the entire special effects industry is built on the fact that the average filmgoer is vastly, vastly worse at judging what is "real" than they think they are

I'm glad to be living the sort of lifestyle where I'm not especially good at judging whether or not gore looks real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I like that once the kids finally face It together, the OOGA BOOGA poo poo kind of stops and allows for him to be a bit more outright scary. Even the jump scare with Bev after the Nebolt incident isn't about being in your face, it's about surprise (and it worked all three times I saw it in theaters)

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

FreudianSlippers posted:

KeyFace and the Crooked Man should do a crossover vs film.

I haven't seen a lot of these movies, but I like the vibe of this kind of weird monster. Pennywise and Babadook are kinda that way, too, and I guess so is the general situation in Phantasm. I'm not really sure how to describe it. It's like dark fantasy or surrealist in a fairy tale or nursery rhyme kind of way, but definitely leaning toward horror. Clive Barker and reboot Doctor Who do this a lot, too. I hope I'm explaining it well enough. Is there a name for it?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Dark fantasy/fairy tale monsters yeah. In fact, in a lot of stories, something like the Crooked Man is the "true form" of a fae.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Moon Atari posted:

I'm glad to be living the sort of lifestyle where I'm not especially good at judging whether or not gore looks real.

if there was a lot of in-between between obvious OTT fake gore and disturbing, realistic gore, it would frankly take a lot more effort

basically compare something like Kill Bill to say, Green Room or Drive and you'll get the idea

e: the vast majority of movies don't go for realistic gore because it would be loving unpalatable to 90% of filmgoers. the only director I can think of who's, like, a real director (so no August Underground) and consistently goes for it is S. Craig Zahler, the Bone Tomahawk/Brawl in Cell Block 99 guy. (Refn to a lesser extent, but honestly most of his movies aren't that gory)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I haven't read through the entire thread but I just saw this last night.

The scene with the slide projector where Pennywise pops out of the screen and he's huge is the best right? I assume most people would agree on that?

Anyway I was hoping for more of the really crazy poo poo from the book but I didn't realistically expect it to be in there. At least there is some indication that they're keeping the idea of the dead lights and not just completely throwing that out.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

The scene with the slide projector where Pennywise pops out of the screen and he's huge is the best right? I assume most people would agree on that?

Agreed.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Basebf555 posted:

Anyway I was hoping for more of the really crazy poo poo from the book but I didn't realistically expect it to be in there. At least there is some indication that they're keeping the idea of the dead lights and not just completely throwing that out.

Yup. Worked insanely well in the theater (I've never heard screams like that before) and still works watching it at home and knowing it's coming.

On my 2nd watch, I still love this movie. It's funny and scary and everybody is just so well-cast. The Losers are all incredibly likable and I think everyone can see a little of their childhood selves in at least one of them.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Basebf555 posted:

There's a lot of Pennywise scenes that were obviously filmed for 3D, but that one would've made me poo poo myself.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

There's a lot of Pennywise scenes that were obviously filmed for 3D, but that one would've made me poo poo myself.

I watched it in my living room on a regular sized tv and it still had me physically jumping out of my seat. I did not see it coming at all.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

Yep, easily the best scare. The rest had a really annoying level of predictability to them which just tend to make me irritated that I jump anyway.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think the reason that scare worked so well is because I was expecting like his head to come out of the screen ala The Ring, but then this gigantic monstrosity all of the sudden juts out and I was not prepared for it.

It's genius because it sets you up to expect a scare, and then gives it to you, just not in the way you're expecting.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Basebf555 posted:

I think the reason that scare worked so well is because I was expecting like his head to come out of the screen ala The Ring, but then this gigantic monstrosity all of the sudden juts out and I was not prepared for it.

It's genius because it sets you up to expect a scare, and then gives it to you, just not in the way you're expecting.

It’s also got some great foley work when he’s slamming around in the dark between each slide. That scene was definitely the one that popped the theater audience the most, both times I saw it.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene
A lot of the scares in the movie do come off as comedic which is great. Seems perfect for a demon clown. The weird vibe of the town is more horrifying than Pennywise himself.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

A lot of the scares in the movie do come off as comedic which is great. Seems perfect for a demon clown. The weird vibe of the town is more horrifying than Pennywise himself.

That's very true of the book as well. Not necessarily that the Pennywise stuff is supposed to be funny, just that his complete and totally corruption of the town itself is much scarier than anything he does directly. It's a gradual realization that you get as you read it, that these kids are truly on their own and none of the adults are going to do anything to help them.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Basebf555 posted:

Part of what I love about the setup about it is that it brings Billy's mom back in a major way. Does a good job of alluding to creepy stuff off-screen.

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained

Part of what I love about the setup about it is that it brings Billy's mom back in a major way. Does a good job of alluding to creepy stuff off-screen.

I forgot the connection. Can you explain?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Moms distant?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

In the book Bill’s parents basically become the walking dead after Georgie dies. There’s some suggestion of 60’s era undiagnosed housewife depression as well. I never really thought about it, but you only ever see Bill’s mom in the beginning. You see his dad after Georgie dies, but the mom doesn’t make a reappearance until the slideshow. I suppose it could be argued that just as how It has corrupted the rest of Derry, it’s bent the parents as well. I mean you literally have Pennywise’s face being revealed from underneath the obscuring wave is the mom’s hair.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Bill's mom makes an appearance in the alternate ending when they're leaving Derry. But other than that, she's nowhere.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Solar Tornado posted:

I forgot the connection. Can you explain?

It's creepy as hell that his mother exists as a presence in the film, but not as a character in any way, except as an aspect of Pennywise.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Basebf555 posted:

Absolutely, definitely for the reasons you've said but also the music in that part is perfect. It makes it feels like a boa constrictor is wrapping around you and you can feel your last breaths coming.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Other than the next movie, I have no urge to rewatch this remake. It just felt bad and did nothing special.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ok.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

As far as horror remakes go, It is still probably one of the better ones. The only other one that even comes to mind for me is Herzog's Nosferatu though that's a pretty different kind of movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I don't know that this movie is a "remake" of IT.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Raxivace posted:

As far as horror remakes go, It is still probably one of the better ones. The only other one that even comes to mind for me is Herzog's Nosferatu though that's a pretty different kind of movie.

The Thing, my friend. And the American remake of Ringu.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

fr0id posted:

The Thing, my friend. And the American remake of Ringu.
I liked the Hawks version more but will acknowledge I'm in the minority opinion there. Haven't seen The Ring in a long time so I can't comment on it.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Having watched this, I think I prefer the original (part one) to this. While this was better shot, I felt like the kids in the TV movie were better developed characters, while this one focused more on Bill and Bev at the expense of the others. Bowers was particularly short changed.

Also didn't care for the cliched "gang stops being friends, then reunites" bit. Felt the original version in the book, where the kids all agree that they have to kill IT, in together, was a far more powerful moment.

Was also underwhelmed by Pennywise. It felt like a one-note performance.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Raxivace posted:

The Fly?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The Fly is dope, it’s true.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Don't know if this has been posted but one of these weirdly joyless clownshttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7vNXvydnvshas one of the worst takes on the film that I've heard, which is something alone the lines of "Star Wars invented special effects and studios couldn't keep up, so they made low-budget clown movies".

Anyway, love this film, tempted to buy the blu-ray but I hear they might do an extended edition which'll perhaps include the infamous Pennywise eating a baby bit, and I don't want to buy it twice. But who knows when that'll eventually be released, should I wait until IT: Baby-Eating Edition is released?

Karloff fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jan 12, 2018

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Karloff posted:

Don't know if this has been posted but one of these weirdly joyless clownshttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7vNXvydnvshas one of the worst takes on the film that I've heard, which is something alone the lines of "Star Wars invented special effects and studios couldn't keep up, so they made low-budget clown movies".

This rules. Why is all British TV like this?

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

This rules. Why is all British TV like this?

The best of times was many years ago when The Big Breakfast was on, that was a morning program to remember. I miss it dearly and bitterly.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
The problem with movie adaptations of books.....is that there is too much content to pack into a feature film. Even Game of Thrones getting the HBO treatment.....they still had to cut many storylines short. Big reason why I would be disappointed if they remake Dune as a movie. Two....hell.....even three hours wouldn't even scratch the surface. But studios are in it to make money. A cramped up adaptation appeals to a wider audience. The people who read the books are a small portion of the overall base. I've never read 'IT'. So I don't have all the disappointments shared by some of you. If they tried to cram 'Carrion Comfort' or 'Hyperion' into a couple two hour movies.....yeah.....I'd probably be very disappointed. Networks need to start buying up some of these properties. It's the only way that they will come close to faithful representations of the source materials.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
IT would have been awesome as a two season Netflix show.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Kevyn posted:

IT would have been awesome as a two season Netflix show.

The problem with 'IT' is that it would have a more difficult license to obtain. Check out some of the premium channel shows that are based on books. Most were unknown to the masses prior. Hopefully with the success that some of these shows have had.....we'll see more of them adapted for the home rather than the big screen.....providing a better product. I just wonder how much money they are able to toss at the owners. I'm not sure that it would be able to beat out the large production/distributor film studios. Now.....if some of those studios were smart....they'd produce premium materials for, and in conjunction with the premium channels...because we are in a new golden age of television. And I'm mostly talking about things like 'IT' that are based on much longer books, which could span tens of hours in screen time.....at least. This would allow them to still retain a large portion of the profits......while the premium channels who gain distribution since it would be broadcast on their channel win as well.

GET IT DONE! I WANT A FULL DUNE STORY.

And like I said.....'Hyperion' might be tough to do......but 'Carrion Comfort' might be the best horror novel of all time. Both could make for great mini series.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

To anyone who suggests that a Stephen King story can be translated effectively to television, I present both Under The Dome and The Mist. Conceptually, both should have been home runs. But the ability to breathe too much robs his work of its immediacy. The first half of IT takes place across handful of weeks, or months at best. The second half takes place across days. The second you throw that poo poo to AMC or FX, they want seven seasons and you start to sweat on how to expand.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Fart City posted:

To anyone who suggests that a Stephen King story can be translated effectively to television, I present both Under The Dome and The Mist. Conceptually, both should have been home runs. But the ability to breathe too much robs his work of its immediacy. The first half of IT takes place across handful of weeks, or months at best. The second half takes place across days. The second you throw that poo poo to AMC or FX, they want seven seasons and you start to sweat on how to expand.

One....produced by a network.....the other.....by nothing more than a rookie cable channel. What did spike do well in terms of original scripted programming? Don't say Blue Mountain State. I could have wrote and directed that.

Why couldn't they have the first season span those first couple of weeks/months with some scares and general buildup........while the second season ramps up with "a conclusion" that goes further into the adults.....while still being able to retain flashbacks of material that was untold? That could definitely go for at least a few seasons. They could end the first with the kids beating PW and the third with the adults doing the same?

RestingB1tchFace fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jan 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Okay. Give me an example of a multi-season Stephen King television show that worked.

• Locked thread