Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
If mirrorless cameras develop to the point that they replace DSLRs for professional uses and such, I wonder if Canon will end up carrying APS-H or equivalent over to whatever their top of the line body becomes. I assume there's a practical reason why they've used that sensor on so many 1D models, even after the advent of full frame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Buffers/resolution = framerate. 1D III is 10 FPS. 1Ds III is only 5.

APS-H for sports, wildlife, UFOs, etc.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Seamonster posted:

Buffers/resolution = framerate. 1D III is 10 FPS. 1Ds III is only 5.

APS-H for sports, wildlife, UFOs, etc.

^^ this. There was no reason to do it anymore once they could do full frame blazing speed in one body. (Although some are still mad that the high resolution bodies are 5D series and not 1D series now)

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

Yeah, it's been 5 years since the 1Div was discontinued, aps-h is not coming back from a marketing perspective. Is there anything still produced besides that one wacky Sigma camera?

President Beep posted:

If mirrorless cameras develop to the point that they replace DSLRs for professional uses and such, I wonder if Canon will end up carrying APS-H or equivalent over to whatever their top of the line body becomes. I assume there's a practical reason why they've used that sensor on so many 1D models, even after the advent of full frame.

On second thought, I agree that a new pro-level mirrorless system exclusively in APS-H would be a pretty rad compromise between size and shallow DoF. With a shorter flange distance, I bet a lot of -H lenses could wind up the same total size as equivalent -C on a DSLR.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

Alpenglow posted:

Yeah, it's been 5 years since the 1Div was discontinued, aps-h is not coming back from a marketing perspective. Is there anything still produced besides that one wacky Sigma camera?

Fun observations I've made about this subject:

The wacky Sigma would be full frame but Ricoh/Pentax doesn't have a sensor fab that can build the three layer sensor to that size. APS-H was the largest size without retooling, which Sigma isn't big enough to afford. Ricoh mostly makes 1" CCTV sensors, outside of Sigma, the Ricoh/Pentax camera sensors usually come from Sony or Nikon.

The current CEO of Sigma talked about it at a conference in Japan once. He did however imply the reason the new sdQ cameras are so cheap is because they didn't retool, and Sigma mainly sells Foveon cameras to honor the previous CEO, aka current CEO's diseased dad.

Sigma and Cosina (Voigtlander, non-Sony Zeiss) are both small family owned companies. They do a lot of things for less than 100% capitalist reasons. I'm still expecting a modern digital rangefinder out of Cosina as soon as they decide sensor tech is stable enough to produce a low volume camera they can keep on the market for 5+ years.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Received an EF-S 24mm STM from my wife as an early Christmas present yesterday. It’s a lot of fun to use, and I really like having a wider prime.

It’d be cool of Canon spat out a few more focal lengths in this form factor/price point. Not sure how much longer of a lens they could cram into a pancake though. I also suppose you’d need IS at some point.

e: Sample pic because why not?

Visiting Santa at the zoo
by President Beep, on Flickr

President Beep fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Dec 31, 2017

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

How long do you guys hold on to your camera bodies? I have a 30d, since 2006, that I use for motorsport shooting. I'm not particularly good at it but sometimes I look at refurbs to upgrade to. I've been running into issues mostly with buffer size but I suppose I could work around it. Sometimes I wonder if its easier with something newer but not sure if my skill level would make it better or if the quality is all the big of a step up (as I do this for fun / don't print).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144390874@N07/with/37636813990/

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You'd see a big improvement in quality of life with an upgrade. More megapixels means you can crop more without making the image unusable, better burst rate means you get a higher chance of a keeper as a car takes a corner, and more sensitive focus points means it will lock on to the subject better.

I shifted from a t1i to an 80d and the leap was huge, suddenly everything felt easier.

But there's some give and take to it too.. lenses are a big loving deal shooting fast moving objects so you have to do a cost/benefit analysis when deciding how to budget upgrades. Like a $500 body and a $1000 lens will almost certainly get you better pictures than a $1000 body and a $500 lens, but it does mean you're already behind the curve and may be chasing a new body before long while the $1000 body would last you another 10 years.

So you gotta think long and hard what is really important to you.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

SPACE HOMOS posted:

How long do you guys hold on to your camera bodies? I have a 30d, since 2006, that I use for motorsport shooting. I'm not particularly good at it but sometimes I look at refurbs to upgrade to. I've been running into issues mostly with buffer size but I suppose I could work around it. Sometimes I wonder if its easier with something newer but not sure if my skill level would make it better or if the quality is all the big of a step up (as I do this for fun / don't print).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144390874@N07/with/37636813990/

The 30D-80D jump is pretty big in terms of just pure sensor improvements, you can shoot at high ISOs and have more dynamic range, and better AF capabilities too. That being said, a 7D II (which should get even cheaper one the 7D III comes out) would be a good choice too, but it really depends on your budget. I think for motorsport a larger buffer/better AF would make more sense, than a faster lens for example.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I tried a friends 5D IV today and the shutter button was mushy compared to the clicky one on my 60D, he said the 5D II he had was the same, does Canon use different shutter button mechanisms on their pro bodies? Seems like a strange thing to differentiate.

Von_Rock
Mar 2, 2007
Hey guys, I'm clueless about cameras and mistakenly bought a Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Asphericaherical [IF] A16 (Nikon) lens for my wife without realising it was a NIkon lens (I know the clue is in the title...), while my wife has a Canon EOS100D camera.

Does anyone know if there is an adapter I can buy that will convert this lens to fit the Canon camera? I've read that they exist, but don't know which one would be right to make this all work.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give!

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

ijyt posted:

I tried a friends 5D IV today and the shutter button was mushy compared to the clicky one on my 60D, he said the 5D II he had was the same, does Canon use different shutter button mechanisms on their pro bodies? Seems like a strange thing to differentiate.

I have a 5D IV and a 70D. I think the 70D's shutter button feels nicer. Not sure why they make the 5D's button so mushy.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
They do exist but is there a reason that you can't return the lens and exchange it for one with the right mount? Tamron make the same lenses for all the major platforms, so there's an exact equivalent of that lens that will fit on your wife's camera.

Adapters are a problem for a few reasons. The cheap ones are just mechanical - i.e. they just connect one mount to a different one. This means they don't have the circuitry to allow things like autofocus, lens aperture control etc. On modern DSLR lenses where the aperture is solely controlled by the body, that's a huge problem that basically makes the lens unusable. You can get adapters with separate manual aperture control but those won't work on that particular lens because it's all controlled electronically by the body.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

akadajet posted:

Not sure why they make the 5D's button so mushy.
Probably more robust weather sealing.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Von_Rock posted:

Hey guys, I'm clueless about cameras and mistakenly bought a Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Asphericaherical [IF] A16 (Nikon) lens for my wife without realising it was a NIkon lens (I know the clue is in the title...), while my wife has a Canon EOS100D camera.

Does anyone know if there is an adapter I can buy that will convert this lens to fit the Canon camera? I've read that they exist, but don't know which one would be right to make this all work.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give!

Hopefully you can return it. Unfortunately there's not going to be an adapter that doesn't make the lens practically unusable.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

akadajet posted:

I have a 5D IV and a 70D. I think the 70D's shutter button feels nicer. Not sure why they make the 5D's button so mushy.

It's out of consideration for your sore fingers because of all the handjobs you have to give to afford one.

Von_Rock
Mar 2, 2007

Helen Highwater posted:

They do exist but is there a reason that you can't return the lens and exchange it for one with the right mount? Tamron make the same lenses for all the major platforms, so there's an exact equivalent of that lens that will fit on your wife's camera.

Adapters are a problem for a few reasons. The cheap ones are just mechanical - i.e. they just connect one mount to a different one. This means they don't have the circuitry to allow things like autofocus, lens aperture control etc. On modern DSLR lenses where the aperture is solely controlled by the body, that's a huge problem that basically makes the lens unusable. You can get adapters with separate manual aperture control but those won't work on that particular lens because it's all controlled electronically by the body.

Yeah, I was trying to be thrifty and bought it from a site in Hong Kong, shipped to the UK and the cost to return it + restocking fee is pretty high. I compounded my mistake by trying to order her a better lens to make up for it but then bought the wrong range(?) lens so I'm very much not in her good books right now for both expenditure and stupidity on my part.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Von_Rock posted:

Yeah, I was trying to be thrifty and bought it from a site in Hong Kong, shipped to the UK and the cost to return it + restocking fee is pretty high. I compounded my mistake by trying to order her a better lens to make up for it but then bought the wrong range(?) lens so I'm very much not in her good books right now for both expenditure and stupidity on my part.

Ouch. You might have to try to resell it locally and eat the difference. I guess in the future you can always just ask here if a lens is good/appropriate for the camera she has.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I think you're going to have to eat that cost unfortunately.

Your options are:
- Return it and pay those fees.
- Find a friendly local store that will let you trade it in for the right version, they'll still give you used value for it even though it's NIB, so you'll still end up losing out.
- Spend ~£20 on an adapter that will let your wife mount it to her camera but she'll only be able to use her camera in certain modes while it's mounted and she'll have no control of the lens except for zoom. In my opinion, that makes it an unusable lens, her mileage might vary.

If you do go the adapter route, you'll want something like this one.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Helen Highwater posted:

If you do go the adapter route, you'll want something like this one.

lol don't even suggest this. it will suck.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Von_Rock posted:

Yeah, I was trying to be thrifty and bought it from a site in Hong Kong, shipped to the UK and the cost to return it + restocking fee is pretty high.
Lesson learned, don't do that. Think of the extra cost of buying locally or from Amazon or another reputable site as insurance that the product will work and that you can exchange it if necessary.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

akadajet posted:

The lower-end bodies have the clicky shutter button which can feel nice, but it's also susceptible to breaking. It's a plastic mechanism. My Digital Rebel XT's button crapped out on me twice after heavy use. My 1D3, 5DIII, and 6D have "mushy" buttons, but they also have better weather-sealing and more durability. I'd guess it's a membrane-type mechanism that's sealed better and lasts longer. I had my Rebel's button replaced under warranty but it broke again a year or two later just because of heavy use. I've used my other bodies even more heavily but haven't had any issues with them.

I've had surprisingly bad luck with shutter buttons -- the XT died twice, and I've also had a third-party batter grip's button get wonky on me.

Von_Rock
Mar 2, 2007
Thanks guys. Not the answer I was hoping for but I guess it's an expensive lesson learned... I really appreciate everyone's help though.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

akadajet posted:

So the 200lb gorilla isn't actuating straight against the PCB. Also prob weather seals.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
It's not the weather sealing. Canon calls it a "soft touch electromagnetic release" and it's on all of the higher-end bodies. It makes it a lot easier to go back and forth between a half-press for AEL/AFL and a full-press.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

MrBlandAverage posted:

Canon calls it a "soft touch electromagnetic release"

Sounds better than "mushy vagueness", which is what I would call it.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

I've never handled one of their nicer bodies. Is there still a distinct half-press detent?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

President Beep posted:

I've never handled one of their nicer bodies. Is there still a distinct half-press detent?

Not at all.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
There's a little slack on the button that's the half-press, and then a greater resistance you push through for the full-press.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

akadajet posted:

Not at all.

Heh. Guess I'll stick with my superior ~*Rebel*~. Amazing button feel. Higher model number too (better).

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

President Beep posted:

Heh. Guess I'll stick with my superior ~*Rebel*~. Amazing button feel. Higher model number too (better).

Yeah, upgrading to full frame didn't make my photos any better at all.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

akadajet posted:

Yeah, upgrading to full frame didn't make my photos any better at all.

Not even being possessed by the restless shade of Ansel Adams himself could help me in that regard.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Seamonster posted:

Used 5D3s are not more than around $1600 on fleabay or even less for high shutter count examples. But of course there's always bundled battery grips and all kinds of other accessories that can drive up the listing.

I got mine for 1400 or so with a 45k shutter count. It was filthy and there is a dead bug in my prism (I've had the sensor cleaned, it's not the sensor) of my camera, but I have a 5D3.

Just keep looking, it's how I got mine.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I also doubt full frame would make my photos any better than my trusty 550D but if I knew 6D Mk2 II existed I probably would've given in and bought it when I was in Hong Kong last week. It's literally half the price it sells locally ($1.3 vs $2.5k, wtf are they smoking). I mean I did pay almost a grand for the rebel with the kit lens...

I did, however, buy a 70-200mm f/4 L which is super awesome but I already kind of wish it was 2.8 at the same size and price. And had IS. But now that I do have a EF lens, I might as well upgrade to a full frame body.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

I also doubt full frame would make my photos any better than my trusty 550D but if I knew 6D Mk2 II existed I probably would've given in and bought it when I was in Hong Kong last week. It's literally half the price it sells locally ($1.3 vs $2.5k, wtf are they smoking). I mean I did pay almost a grand for the rebel with the kit lens...

I did, however, buy a 70-200mm f/4 L which is super awesome but I already kind of wish it was 2.8 at the same size and price. And had IS. But now that I do have a EF lens, I might as well upgrade to a full frame body.

This touches on one reason why I won't be transitioning to full frame any time soon. Most of the EF glass is just so damned expensive.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

President Beep posted:

This touches on one reason why I won't be transitioning to full frame any time soon. Most of the EF glass is just so damned expensive.

It's outrageous, but the lenses are soooo nice.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

akadajet posted:

It's outrageous, but the lenses are soooo nice.

That I do not doubt one bit. I try not to think about it too much though.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

But now that I do have a EF lens, I might as well upgrade to a full frame body.
It begins.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

If you need more glass, I hear the 75-300 can be had for a song.

;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

I do not avoid women, but I do deny them my essence.

President Beep posted:

Expensive for hobby shooting once in a while, of course.

If you ever have a lens barrel fall out of it's housing during a wedding, then you will know the true value of L glass.

Cost goes both ways.