Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

That poll looks bullshit based on my pubs playing around. This collected data or some self report poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

It's a Reddit poll https://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunter/comments/7pdw0f/after_nearly_400_survey_results_here_are_the/

The "least want to see on your team" one is bananas because long swords barely trip now and I don't think gunlances can launch teammates with anything short of wyvernfire anymore.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

lets hang out posted:

It's a Reddit poll https://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunter/comments/7pdw0f/after_nearly_400_survey_results_here_are_the/

The "least want to see on your team" one is bananas because long swords barely trip now and I don't think gunlances can launch teammates with anything short of wyvernfire anymore.

its hard to break stigmas

good to see i can be a hbg special snowflake again

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
You could poll this thread, but that would just skew CB even higher.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

lets hang out posted:

If someone can confirm to me that Hammer lvl 2, golf swing and GS upswing still launches, i will change that poll on my own.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

So Reddit has decided charge blade is the most powerful and will main it accordingly. Can't say I'm surprised.

I should secondary hunting horn just to pop nerd boners world wide.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Bombadilillo posted:

So Reddit has decided charge blade is the most powerful and will main it accordingly. Can't say I'm surprised.

I should secondary hunting horn just to pop nerd boners world wide.

Thinking about this, too. Main Swaxe, with TOOT IT as a sometimes treat.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

If I do try to main CB o can't 2ven build a switchaxe. I'll get frustrated and just use it forever again. It's so gooooood. But I want to branch out.

Saint Freak posted:

It has the most interesting mechanics that people are still figuring out so everyone is playing with it more now. My old switchaxe is :same: with an explosion that's not even a new input.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Bombadilillo posted:

It has the most interesting mechanics that people are still figuring out so everyone is playing with it more now.

It's just the beta flavor of the month weapon. Youtube videos were posted, Reddit watched them, Best Weapon confirmed. Gunlance and DB are both stupid strong in the beta as well, but CB takes the cake on beta los kills so welp. If someone posts the fastest Nerd Gigante time with a hunting horn then it will suddenly shoot to the top.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Saint Freak posted:

gently caress it, let's do that.

https://strawpoll.com/ysaxbwf8

(Since only chumps use a single weapon, vote for as many as you think you'll use)

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Thars what i am getting real reactionary. Oh well. Im on record as not wanting to play the fun dino killing game with people who are only interrstedd in minmaxong. They tend to get upset if you are 'optimized' .

Pick the fun weapon. Kill giant slugsharks.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I'm envious of people who can stick to a single or even a small set of weapons for any significant period of time. I'm like a RNG function whose seed is how good of a day at work I had. I'll end up running with all of them.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

SettingSun posted:

I'm envious of people who can stick to a single or even a small set of weapons for any significant period of time. I'm like a RNG function whose seed is how good of a day at work I had. I'll end up running with all of them.

This is me too, I get bored playing just one or two or even three weapons.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

I get 'git gud' satisfaction from perfecting weapons. I use 2 so when I get board I can work on another one. Switching to a random one feels like I'm starting from scratch.

Gotta evenly level my player skill.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I tend to focus on a few weapons, to the point of basically only using the insect glaive and occasionally Prowler in 4U and Gen, despite going out of my way to make other weapons I wanted to try. For World, I'm going to keep using the IG, but also want to pick up the bowguns again (they were my MP option in 3U) and give the hunting horn a try too. I may try other weapons when I can, but those four are the ones I definitely intend to play.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm going to try to stick to two or three weapons just to limit the amount of time I need to spend collecting extra materials to make extra weapons as I progress through the ranks, but who knows if I'll be able to hold myself to that.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

The new armor system will make it less grindy to play a bunch of weapons now.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

big nipples big life posted:

The new armor system will make it less grindy to play a bunch of weapons now.

You mean not needing different sets for blademaster and gunner weapons, or is there another streamlining that'll help even if you're just using one general category?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Harrow posted:

You mean not needing different sets for blademaster and gunner weapons, or is there another streamlining that'll help even if you're just using one general category?

Mostly that but also the new skill system seems easier to work with.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Harrow posted:

I know that the more streamlined skill system will mean it’ll be much easier to swap pieces in and out and still get usefulness out of them. For example, say on one weapon you want Attack Up and Guard Up, but on another you want Attack Up and Dodge Up. On the old system, you’d need to create two completely different armorsets - one that has attack up + guard up stuff, and another that has attack up + dodge up stuff. In the new system, you can probably just swap out your guard armor pieces for dodge armor pieces.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ah yeah, that also makes sense.

Good to know this is as good a Monster Hunter as I'll find to be indecisive and play a bunch of different weapons. Longsword, hunting horn, and switch axe are all callin' my name, and I'm sure I won't be able to resist at least one of the ranged options.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jan 10, 2018

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

as a downside the new armor system means you can just not care about getting pieces to get a full set because all of your skills will trigger regardless. also you don't have to min/max jewels or whatever. I hope there are still skill breakpoints where like +10 attack gives you a bonus

it is the age of the clownsuit

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

as a downside the new armor system means you can just not care about getting pieces to get a full set because all of your skills will trigger regardless. also you don't have to min/max jewels or whatever. I hope there are still skill breakpoints where like +10 attack gives you a bonus

It did look like the higher ranks of a lot of skills had secondary bonuses. Like the higher Attack Up ranks came with bonuses to Affinity as well, things like that.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Harrow posted:

Ah yeah, that also makes sense.

Good to know this is as good a Monster Hunter as I'll find to be indecisive and play a bunch of different weapons. Longsword, hunting horn, and switch axe are all callin' my name, and I'm sure I won't be able to resist at least one of the ranged options.

I always at least made a poison LBG for hunting bugs. All those beetles and stuff that disintegrate on impact, so you have to let them die from poison damage if you want to carve them.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Actually, speaking of clownsuits: did I see somewhere that there are cosmetic slots and/or some sort of transmog system in World, or am I imagining things?

I'm always likely to pick fashion over min-maxing, but it's always nice when I don't have to choose. And being able to wear armor just for cosmetics will make me more likely to collect more armor sets just because they look cool even if I don't need their skills.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Harrow posted:

Actually, speaking of clownsuits: did I see somewhere that there are cosmetic slots and/or some sort of transmog system in World, or am I imagining things?

Yeah, I've also heard of a glamour system so you can play dress up without worrying about the stats

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

I hope there are still skill breakpoints where like +10 attack gives you a bonus
Some skills in the beta did have breakpoints with bonuses like that, like if you stacked like 4-5 Attack Up, it'd also grant a bonus to affinity, or if you stack enough Defense Up, you'd get some elemental resistance on top.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

It there's one thing I'm OCD about, it's wearing the full set of armor so the outfit is complete. Skill considerations come after that.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I just want to give props to SnS. It's more than just an item weapon! It's super fun to constantly attack and roll around, and the new jump move loving rules and is super stylish.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

SettingSun posted:

It there's one thing I'm OCD about, it's wearing the full set of armor so the outfit is complete. Skill considerations come after that.

Yeah, while some mixed sets look good, I tend towards full sets most of the time. While I used the BuJaBuJaBu set early, I ended Generations wearing a full Alatreon set, despite it not being that great skill-wise, just because I like the look of the armor that much.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Harrow posted:

I'm always likely to pick fashion over min-maxing, but it's always nice when I don't have to choose. And being able to wear armor just for cosmetics will make me more likely to collect more armor sets just because they look cool even if I don't need their skills.

There's literally a Samurai Set that comes in the digital deluxe edition that's described as a customisation skin.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

There was a thing from capcom about weapons used in the first demo that showed pretty different results than that reddit poll. although it doesn't really translate because capcom's stats were about the % of players who used each weapon at all. Greatsword was first with over 50%

There are set bonuses, they just weren't on the armors available in the demo

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

There's a video about it. But in the main skills once you hit level 4-7 of them they give bonus. So you can spread the love or specialize in a couple skills and you are rewarded for both styles.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

CodfishCartographer posted:

I just want to give props to SnS. It's more than just an item weapon! It's super fun to constantly attack and roll around, and the new jump move loving rules and is super stylish.

I was shocked by how fun SnS was in the beta. It's definitely more interesting than just the "starter weapon" (and may not even be the best one of those in World).

Vaulting yourself straight up in the air and dive bombing the back of heads over and over makes you feel like a super hero.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

reading a bunch of sns posts from people who never tried a stylish bombing build.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Slinger makes SNS appealing as well.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I wonder if the AccelAxe will be added into World as an update or expansion. A new weapon type is always exciting.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

LawfulWaffle posted:

I wonder if the AccelAxe will be added into World as an update or expansion. A new weapon type is always exciting.

It wouldn't be the first weapon type introduced in a spinoff that never made it to the main series.

RIP Tonfas, Prowlers.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

big nipples big life posted:

reading a bunch of sns posts from people who never tried a stylish bombing build.

The amount of work it takes to keep supplied in bombs was never worth it for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

In terms of weapon preferences, I mostly used hunting horn and longsword but I kinda just grabbed whatever I felt like using. I always enjoyed hunting horn because it was really really easy to work with, I just kinda popped self improvement and then hit the monster lots while trying to play a tune.

I'm mostly really looking forward to this because every time I tried to play a monster hunter on a portable system it would just not agree with me.