Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

s.i.r.e. posted:

Well those things aren't artistic but I get it, Star Wars is always going to sell and it's never going to deviate from the stagnant formula and I hate life.

Let me show you the world, of Farscape Expanded Universe comics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

s.i.r.e. posted:

Well those things aren't artistic but I get it, Star Wars is always going to sell and it's never going to deviate from the stagnant formula and I hate life.

I feel like TLJ deviated in a lot of ways from the formula you're calling stagnant and all nerds can do is complain about it. So they're hosed either way, right?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

AndyElusive posted:

I feel like TLJ deviated in a lot of ways from the formula you're calling stagnant and all nerds can do is complain about it. So they're hosed either way, right?

It goes unsaid that they would like them to deviate and make a good movie, not deviate and make a bad movie.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Papercut posted:

It goes unsaid that they would like them to deviate and make a good movie, not deviate and make a bad movie.

I dunno man, they made a pretty good movie imho. :colbert:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Papercut posted:

Luckily they did that.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
Saw this movie a 3rd time and still really like it AMA

the best way to see this movie btw, after seeing it in 2D, 3D IMAX, and 4D (some weird nonsense where your seat moves with action scenes and water sprays on you and poo poo) is by far 3D IMAX. absolutely gorgeous.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Not for nothing but Del Toro was the only good thing in the latest pirates movie

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Wasn't that Javier Bardem? (I didn't watch it)

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
That's how good he is.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

Wasn't that Javier Bardem? (I didn't watch it)

holy poo poo i feel dumb, and i can't even use the "i just woke up" excuse :negative:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

AndyElusive posted:

How did they deviate?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm glad Solo is gonna have a character literally named "Moloch", subtlety is a sith's weapon

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

AndyElusive posted:

In hardly any way, and all of the new concepts it added were pretty bad and dumb.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

s.i.r.e. posted:

In hardly any way, and all of the new concepts it added were pretty bad and dumb.

On the contrary, they were cool and good. Force holograms are the poo poo, and forcetime chats was a great way to bring Ren/Rey together. So was Luke getting his milk straight from the titty.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Filthy Casual posted:

On the contrary, they were cool and good. Force holograms are the poo poo, and forcetime chats was a great way to bring Ren/Rey together. So was Luke getting his milk straight from the titty.

Two of those already existed, and the last one's pretty irrelevant

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
TLJ deviates from the formula by being the first of the movies to actually enunciate what the Jedi are good for

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Stopping blaster bolts was dope. Force choke from a distance was done in OT. Mind reading always seemed fuzzy, easier to sense emotions than actual clear thoughts, which is why the simultaneous lightsaber turning worked even on Snoke.

Too bad cool stuff alone doesn't make for a good piece of cinema.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Solo doing more reshoots I just read?

http://comicbook.com/starwars/2018/01/09/solo-star-wars-story-reshoots-2018/

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Like the article said, this makes sense. They typically do 2-3 weeks of reshoots on SW and the MCU films. They're built into the schedule ahead of time. Ideally I'm sure they would have liked to have originally done these back in October or November if they were still on schedule. They're now about two months out from the Ron Howard filming's end. Enough time for them to get a rough cut in place and see what worked and didn't work, then use the reshoots to fix things accordingly.

I have faith they'll be able to make it work. This is still somehow less reshoot work than the 4-5 week reshoot they did on Rogue One about four months before release, and that looked fairly seamless. Having seen the RO trailers it's apparent they reworked the ending and the Saw meeting, but to me within the movie it still flows well with the reshoots worked in. From what I understand the Vader hallway scene was filmed even closer to the RO release.

Teek fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jan 10, 2018

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Stopping blaster bolts was dope.

This was pretty interesting but it's a little bit too strong of a power and I wonder if they'll ever do this again.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
It was just the blue blaster bolt, which may be different from red or green. Who cares, so long as it is used well. Like a character is tied up to a wall, force user halts it, but gets caught up in a duel and is struggling to concentrate to keep it stopped while fighting.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Darth Vader str8 up tanks blaster shots with his hand and im pretty sure he reflects bolts with the force in RO in the hallway. Owns. UNLIMITED POOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAA

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Isn’t his suit armored? Might just be able to take blaster shots without the force involved. That reminds me of one of the best RLM videos where Mike and Rich read the absurd Wookieepedia article on Vader’s suit.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

The lightsaber "duel" between Luke and Ben was an homage to the classic samurai flicks which was brand new for Star Wars and I hope it makes a comeback.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Dr.Radical posted:

Isn’t his suit armored? Might just be able to take blaster shots without the force involved. That reminds me of one of the best RLM videos where Mike and Rich read the absurd Wookieepedia article on Vader’s suit.

woodoo hide

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

The Kingfish posted:

The lightsaber "duel" between Luke and Ben was an homage to the classic samurai flicks which was brand new for Star Wars and I hope it makes a comeback.

gently caress no homages to classic samurai flicks are not new to Star Wars

Jedi are based on Samurai, Lucas wanted Toshiro Mifune to be Obi-Wan

E: also https://youtube.com/watch?v=0scImICHU14

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Just lol of you can't beef out some plasma ignited tibanna gas to the dome

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
Lol vaders whole design is straight out of samurai japan

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I agree that TLJ doesn't really do anything that different so I'm still confused why people on the Internet complain that it's too different. :shrug:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
They're unable to articulate their complaints well.

For example, barely anone's picked up on the constant use of close-ups to emphasize character's emotional states - something that previous movies were sparing with in contrast. In TLJ animals are treated the same, with lots of emphasis on distressed expressions. This parallel sums up the psychological sophistication of these movies.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

They're unable to articulate their complaints well.

For example, barely anone's picked up on the constant use of close-ups to emphasize character's emotional states - something that previous movies were sparing with in contrast. In TLJ animals are treated the same, with lots of emphasis on distressed expressions. This parallel sums up the psychological sophistication of these movies.

TLJ also has flashbacks and voice overs, which a Star War hadn't had yet

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

I agree that TLJ doesn't really do anything that different so I'm still confused why people on the Internet complain that it's too different. :shrug:

Someone up thread argued that TLJ was a campy comedy (i.e., Pirates of the Caribbean in space), and not the classic good v. evil adventure like the original series. I think that's about right.

edit: I don't like it as a campy comedy either, but at least it's not the train wreck it is as an adventure story.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

So are there people who actually like TFA more than TLJ, and if so why?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

General Dog posted:

One of the first "public" negative reactions to TLJ I saw was this tech (?) guy on an Australian morning show who ranked it as the fourth worst (after the prequels, predictably) and TFA as the second best after ANH. Specifically, he said he didn't like what it had to say about the Force and the Jedi (i.e. nothing that the prequel trilogy hadn't implied already).

I have to assume that at least some people wanted TLJ to just be an ESB re-run like TFA was an ANH re-run. But as it is, TLJ was more or less ESB and ROTJ combined in terms of the overall story beats it hit (it's like if Luke had left Dagobah in ESB and gone straight to the Emperor's throne room in ROTJ, I suppose). That's why I'm confused by people complaining that it's "too different" from stuff that's happened before. (And people praising it for being different, obviously.)

(I should say, the fact that neither of them is particularly adventurous doesn't really bother me overmuch; I'm happy enough to sit and watch them for a couple of hours, like all the other Star Wars. My expectations are probably just too low.)

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
It hits the same plot beats but it's also relentlessly depressing during the whole thing

It's more about the how than the what to me

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The movie doesn't deviate from the formula so much as it hangs a lantern on the formula. Both Luke and Kylo Ren make it clear how tired they are of all these Star Wars, but the movie is explicitly about everyone's realization and acceptance that this cycle (Empire and Rebellion, Dark side and Light) will never end. I wonder if that might be what's leaving a bad taste in people's mouth, that the movie's (well-argued) artistic statement is that the whole endeavor of these sequels is bankrupt.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

General Dog posted:

I wonder if that might be what's leaving a bad taste in people's mouth, that the movie's (well-argued) artistic statement is that the whole endeavor of these sequels is bankrupt.

The movie would have to actually argue that for it to be true though. As it is, the movie presents reseting everything into a never changing retread of ANH as a "fun" and "adventurous" thing. With constant remarks about how plucky and inspiring the Rebels are for being exactly the same as the original Rebels and so-on. I'm forced to admit now that the movies are artistically bankrupt, but the movies themselves sure don't want me to think so.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

"campy comedy" isn't how I'd describe the annihilation of the resistance and death of Luke, but there was bad humor involved so I guess I can see how certain types of people might be confused

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

FuturePastNow posted:

"campy comedy" isn't how I'd describe the annihilation of the resistance and death of Luke, but there was bad humor involved so I guess I can see how certain types of people might be confused

That was one of the big issues with the movie, it was all over the place in terms of tone and audience. Half the time you were being asked to ignore plot holes that a 10-year-old would see, the other half had slaves and heroes dying and bad guys getting cut in half, and then sprinkled all throughout was poo poo like the alien milk titties and your mom/can you hear me now jokes.

General Dog posted:

I haven't seen TFA since the one time in the theater, so it's all fuzzy to me. But I definitely left that movie with a much better impression than I did TLJ. Maybe it was because TFA left all this potential for the story/characters open, and TLJ's attempt to expand on that landed with a thud for me.

Papercut fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

Papercut posted:

That was one of the big issues with the movie, it was all over the place in terms of tone and audience. Half the time you were being asked to ignore plot holes that a 10-year-old would see, the other half had slaves and heroes dying and bad guys getting cut in half, and then sprinkled all throughout was poo poo like the alien milk titties and your mom/can you hear me now jokes.

The film was trying to do one of the things that The Phantom Menace did correctly, which was manage various perspectives in a war. The Phantom Menace has a much better representation of youth, for instance, because Anakin is characterized by where he comes from and that also involves kids who only give a poo poo about their day to day. The droid violence, the stuff with Jar Jar, these are shifts from a central and coherent narrative that The Last Jedi basically, at best, only reiterates. The color commentary of the Pod Race is interspersed with a tolerance/acceptance of Tuskan Raiders terrorizing the actual event and frequently killing the racers who are trying to "make it."

The stupid question about "Why a trade dispute?" ignores that the central villain is a guy who comes from Naboo, so where else would it be? The whole fall of the republic having seemingly humble origins just flies right over people's heads.

There's nothing really unifying The Last Jedi's narrative other than its own mediocrity. Hux gets clowned on because the dispute between The First Order and The Resistance is an impotent slap fight.

• Locked thread