Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I hope they have Zhuge Liang as a literal wizard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Ola posted:

It's about time really, with all the Sun Tzu quotes this series has spammed.
Well to fully pay back Sun Tzu they need to make him playable in Total War Spring and Autumn Period.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Fangz posted:

I hope they have Zhuge Liang as a literal wizard.

The Yellow Turban leaders were basically wizards in the book too, if they go that route.

As someone who wanted a China Total War for the longest time, I'm beyond psyched. I hoped they explore other eras in the DLC since there are several I'd like to see.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I wonder if they'll bring back naval combat, kind of need it for some of the iconic battles.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

The only thing I know about the setting is that gif of some general throwing a baby into the ground in front of his army. Which seems to me a fine excuse to bring back general speeches.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

There's no shortage of material for quest battles either, if they want to go that route.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPlVMPgOAAA#t=22m45s

For people unfamiliar with the three kingdoms, please watch this pre-battle speech and 20-minute long duel scene

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Deakul posted:

I wonder if they'll bring back naval combat, kind of need it for some of the iconic battles.

Wasn't naval combat in this era more or less land-like combat but on huge gently caress off ships (relative for the time) because china.

Electronico6 posted:

The only thing I know about the setting is that gif of some general throwing a baby into the ground in front of his army. Which seems to me a fine excuse to bring back general speeches.

there has never been a better setting for long winded general speeches. that's what a third of romance of the three kingdoms is!

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Ola posted:

It's about time really, with all the Sun Tzu quotes this series has spammed.

I remember Shogun 1's manual kept hammering home the idea that they designed the entire game around "The Art of War" over and over again.

Electronico6 posted:

Not just any baby - the baby was the general's son. One of his top subordinates had dashed back into the fight during a retreat to save his commander's son. On presenting the kid to his boss, the general threw the kid down yelling "For the sake of this child, I almost lost one of my best warriors!"

Said general is traditionally regarded as the "good guy" in the setting BTW.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

Wasn't naval combat in this era more or less land-like combat but on huge gently caress off ships (relative for the time) because china.

Almost, yeah. It was all ramming, arrows, and fire attacks.

Tomn posted:

Not just any baby - the baby was the general's son. One of his top subordinates had dashed back into the fight during a retreat to save his commander's son. On presenting the kid to his boss, the general threw the kid down yelling "For the sake of this child, I almost lost one of my best warriors!"

Said general is traditionally regarded as the "good guy" in the setting BTW.

More specifically, “I can always make another son, but I could never make another you.” And this moment is actually held one of the top 5 examples of how virtuous he is.

Billzasilver fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jan 10, 2018

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Billzasilver posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPlVMPgOAAA#t=22m45s

For people unfamiliar with the three kingdoms, please watch this pre-battle speech and 20-minute long duel scene

I love the part where zhang fei literally picks a horse up one handed. :allears:

You can't go wrong, CA. Go full ridiculous dynasty warriors.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Interesting, I uh need to lie down after watching that trailer. It's got me pumped.

Gratz for the goons pining for this setting for the last decade. Looks like it will be a blast. Now to finish my WOTS Mod game and quickly play a game or two I've neglected in the franchise while I still got the time...

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

liu bei and shu suck, wei supremacy

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

Yes but with more arrows and more fire.
I need it.

You should watch Red Cliff.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

The expansions will be interesting too, whether they keep to the setting or they just do a grand tour of China and Asia in general.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

The expansions will be interesting too, whether they keep to the setting or they just do a grand tour of China and Asia in general.

Knowing CA, they're prolly gonna focus on the big formative Wu-Wei-Shu wars with their big respective heroes (Sun Shits-Liu Bey-Moo Moo) and other scenarios might be about their heirs/the actual people to make the three kingdoms. At least I hope they start the campaign out earlyish in their careers.

So Chi Bi definitely in, Battle of Wuzhang Plains maybe not till later.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
They need to pronounce it cow cow and cow pee.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
All these wrong answers wrt the Three Kingdoms.

Guan Yu or go home, I don't see anyone worshipping Lu Bu as a god for centuries after his death.

Here's to hoping that the lords also have some kind of chivalry thing too, there's a reason why Guan Yu is revered and its not just because he was a human blender.

Panzeh posted:

They need to pronounce it cow cow and cow pee.

E: this makes my eye twitch uncontrollably, pls stahp

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Cao Cao did nothing wrong.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
good username post combo

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Terrible Opinions posted:

Well, unless you have an attractive wife....

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Okay so there were some serious bro-code violations there.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Liu Bei is history’s greatest monster.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Terrible Opinions posted:

Just don’t slaughter a pig near him

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Mistakes were made.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
I'm looking forward to tears from TWC about how a-historical it is to have superheroes in your armies.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Someone post the gif of Cao Cao running away. God I love that show

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Billzasilver posted:

Almost, yeah. It was all ramming, arrows, and fire attacks.

More specifically, “I can always make another son, but I could never make another you.” And this moment is actually held one of the top 5 examples of how virtuous he is.

Well, to be fair, that kid ended up being absolutely worthless.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Perhaps as a result of brain injuries sustained by being thrown by his father, or as a result of having a father who failed to raise him properly.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Liu Feng not saving Guan Yu and then getting executed is the greatest regret in my personal life.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

deathbagel posted:

Well, to be fair, that kid ended up being absolutely worthless.

Typical Shubias.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Cao Cao is the hero China needed, not the hero China deserved.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

StarMinstrel posted:

I'm looking forward to tears from TWC about how a-historical it is to have superheroes in your armies.

God I hope that isn't a thing, we don't need more of that dumb poo poo. Warhammer was bad enough,

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Got some bad news for you pal, this game is definitely having hero units.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

God I hope that isn't a thing, we don't need more of that dumb poo poo. Warhammer was bad enough,

What a terrible opinion. Heroes are 100% going to be in the game and will hopefully be even more fun than in the Warhammer games.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I hope the hero units aren't too over the top. I want the heightened history of, say, John Woo's Red Cliffs not full Dynasty Warriors, imo.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
gently caress hero units.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Holy poo poo, finally! I've been hoping for something like this for years, it's such a great and largely untapped backdrop suited so well for Total War.

Also, I for one absolutely do hope they lean into the somewhat exaggerated/supernatural aspect of it. Perhaps not full Warhammer, but something like the various Shogun Hero units would own. :colbert:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yellow Turban Rebellion better be the tutorial battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Billzasilver posted:

Liu Feng not saving Guan Yu and then getting executed is the greatest regret in my personal life.

Liu Bei was a bad dad.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Mantis42 posted:

I hope the hero units aren't too over the top. I want the heightened history of, say, John Woo's Red Cliffs not full Dynasty Warriors, imo.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

gently caress hero units.

You guys don't get how this chosen era has been romanticized.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jan 10, 2018