Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Favorite underrated spell you wish you saw in play more?

Grease. Simple but nasty for low-Dex characters and the small radius means you can place it tactically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Favorite underrated spell you wish you saw in play more?

I wouldn't call it underrated because I think everyone correctly judges it as insanely niche, but I wish more people had Magic Mouth. Next time I DM for a party with a wizard I am definitely making goofy niche spells available goddamn everywhere.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I wouldn't call it underrated because I think everyone correctly judges it as insanely niche, but I wish more people had Magic Mouth. Next time I DM for a party with a wizard I am definitely making goofy niche spells available goddamn everywhere.

My party has access to a magic typewriter that types nonsense spell scrolls (assuming they are able to procure ribbon for it).

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Conspiratiorist posted:

Brute is a better McCree Fighter than Battle Master :v:
(Hand Crossbow + Crossbow Expert + Sharpshooter)

Yeah, that would be pretty crazy damage, but then again it's going to miss a lot more without Precision.

Edit: OTOH even not using Sharpshooter it's still a ranged Greatsword basically.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

As a DAM do people prefer doing random items or choosing items for the players/classes?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I like to pick something fun with non-obvious uses really early on, and as I get a feel for the group's needs, get them items that address that, and then semi-random from there.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

The Slack Lagoon posted:

As a DAM do people prefer doing random items or choosing items for the players/classes?

The first dungeon my current campaign ran was a tinkerer's workshop that was filled with random useless items just to give people interesting tools to gently caress around with later. I have various items that range from simple +1's to magical effects that fill some of the gaps that have become apparent in the party's play to add ever since. I'll probably adapt the UA tinkerer armor thing into something "random" later as i revert back to things less for any individual player and more for general chaos.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Crossposting from the GM advice thread:

I'm running D&D 5e this week for a group of friends who are almost all entirely new to D&D and tabletop RPGs in general. 4 newbies and 1 vet. I've run other systems with brand new players before so that aspect isn't so worrisome, but I've only ever played 5e as a PC and never DM'd it.
In our first session I figure I would go over the basics with them, spend some time creating characters, then jump right into an adventure. I figure it's better to kind of explain rules and minutae as we go through the adventure instead of just info-dumping on them for an hour, and I also figure creating characters will take a good chunk of time. I'm looking for advice or suggestions on an adventure to run that will take 1-2 hours, since I'm estimating the setup and character creation will take at least an hour or two as well.
I'm DMing a Strike! campaign with my turbo-nerd friends and the setting is an entirely homebrew Cyberpunk/Space Opera type of thing. I love doing it but creating whole worlds and adventures from scratch takes some time, and I want to have something a little more concrete for these players. I've been looking at low-level adventure modules available online to use and have come up with these:
Harried in Hillsfar - "Part of the official D&D Adventurers League organized play system and the Rage of Demons storyline season." Free, seems straightforward. Has 5 "mini-adventures" so it will probably be able to cover the next session or two.
Introductory PotA - Wizards has special introductory adventures for their published books, I just used Princes because that's the first link I found, but I'd be down to run the intro from Strahd, Storm King, Out of the Abyss, or whatever isn't hot garbage. Anyone who has used these, would we be able to seamlessly transition to the full adventure book after completing the intro scenario, or are things re-used or levels dont line up? Am I better off just buying the full module book and starting from there?
Sunless Citadel/Yawning Portal - I've seen this recommended a bunch and it seems like a lot of people here have experience with it.

I also found this handy list of published modules, but I'm just afraid of picking out a dud.
https://merricb.com/dungeons-dragon...tures-by-level/

Which have you run? What would you avoid? Any favorites? Free stuff online is good, but I also don't mind dropping a few bucks.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The starter set is a decent start point.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
If you're running with 5 players, 4 of which are new, you ain't getting through any adventure in 1-2 hours. I bet your first combat encounter takes like 45 minutes. Also, Sunless Citadel is a fantastic starting point.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Pussy Quipped posted:

Harried in Hillsfar - "Part of the official D&D Adventurers League organized play system and the Rage of Demons storyline season." Free, seems straightforward. Has 5 "mini-adventures" so it will probably be able to cover the next session or two.
Introductory PotA - Wizards has special introductory adventures for their published books, I just used Princes because that's the first link I found, but I'd be down to run the intro from Strahd, Storm King, Out of the Abyss, or whatever isn't hot garbage. Anyone who has used these, would we be able to seamlessly transition to the full adventure book after completing the intro scenario, or are things re-used or levels dont line up? Am I better off just buying the full module book and starting from there?
Sunless Citadel/Yawning Portal - I've seen this recommended a bunch and it seems like a lot of people here have experience with it.

Harried in Hillsfar is ok. I remember playing it years ago, my group lost their poo poo when the multi-headed demon goat showed up, as if we were battling a lord of hell.

The first three levels of POTA are decent, I ran that once. It's a typical small-town start with a few small dungeons. I would probably run this one over Hillsfar. If you dont intend to run all of POTA, Red Larch could easily be reskinned to whatever town you want. I ran this in three short sessions: first was an intro/character creation and we did the "Bears and Bows" wilderness cave. Then a session for necro cave, then another for the tomb.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

The Gate posted:

Someone on Reddit ran the math and the Brute was right on the heels of Battlemaster in terms of damage, pulling ahead as the day goes. Battlemaster can probably be higher if you're going PAM + GWM, and issuing Precision heavily. If you want to do any other build then Brute getting scaling damage per hit is going to pull ahead I'd imagine.

As a practical matter, the Battlemaster is still going to be "better" than the Brute/Champion because you can spend the Superiority Dice (on a Precision Attack) at critical junctures to force a hit when you need it. Average performance is a good benchmark, but control over when you get your damage is important.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
I like the idea of the spore/fungus druid, but that is pretty lackluster.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

gradenko_2000 posted:

As a practical matter, the Battlemaster is still going to be "better" than the Brute/Champion because you can spend the Superiority Dice (on a Precision Attack) at critical junctures to force a hit when you need it. Average performance is a good benchmark, but control over when you get your damage is important.

To a degree, but then again the Brute just always does more, you can't ever waste resources.

Which is why I think it does a waaaay better job of being the "simple" subclass compared to Champ. It isn't going to blow out Battlemaster or anything, but it's very solid damage, resistant to being shut down by disabling effects (which will keep it's damage up at higher level play, but there's no calculating something like that), and works with any build you want. It's good.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Well no argument there. It is better at being the simple straightforward Fighter than the Champion. But the Champion is garbage so well yeah.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Calling myself a drat from now on.

Your Lottery
Apr 27, 2009

DalaranJ posted:

Oh? How so?

Or at least, what did he say about this?

He's talked about a few times. I think most recently was his AMA on reddit last month:
https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/7kuzsa/ama_mike_mearls_dd_creative_director/drhivxd/
"I'd remove bonus actions, rebuilding specific abilities to capture what they are trying to do. For instance, healing word could let heal someone and include a melee or ranged attack as part of the spell.

Bonus actions add complexity that doesn't need to be there. I like keeping things streamlined when I can."

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Your Lottery posted:

For instance, healing word could let heal someone and include a melee or ranged attack as part of the spell.
[jpg of random 4e cleric power here]

Kor
Feb 15, 2012

So, I've got some questions about a character build.

I've played in a few 5E games over the past couple of years, so I've got at least the basics down. Starting a new game with a small group here soon, the DM is a friend of mine and I'd been wanting to play in one of his games for a while. So far all we've done is some character creation. I went with a Bard, having really enjoyed the class the last time I played one, and the rest of the party went Cleric, Paladin, and Wizard (so far, I'm not sure which of them are done with their sheets since they're still fairly new and needed a lot of help, and two of them were still unsure about what to go with.)

Going with those classes, my plan was to pick College of Swords once we hit three, and then multiclass with Hexblade Warlock. I have never done any kind of multiclassing build before, so I'm pretty unsure about when to do it or how far to take it. Like, at what level should I grab the Warlock stuff? And looking at what Warlock's get, I'm wondering if I shouldn't get up to level three in that class before going back to Bard stuff? Another option I'd considered was possibly taking 1 level in Warlock and then 3 in Rogue. Basically I want to be as effective a melee Bard as possible without overly diluting myself or gimping myself by timing things wrong, given that ASIs are considered a class feature rather than tied to character level.

The DM is also giving us a free feat at level 2, so I'm looking for something that'll synergize well with this kind of thing. Currently looking at Dual Wielder to go with the College of Swords Two-Weapon Fighting Style, but maybe that is a bad choice?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Kor posted:

So, I've got some questions about a character build.

I've played in a few 5E games over the past couple of years, so I've got at least the basics down. Starting a new game with a small group here soon, the DM is a friend of mine and I'd been wanting to play in one of his games for a while. So far all we've done is some character creation. I went with a Bard, having really enjoyed the class the last time I played one, and the rest of the party went Cleric, Paladin, and Wizard (so far, I'm not sure which of them are done with their sheets since they're still fairly new and needed a lot of help, and two of them were still unsure about what to go with.)

Going with those classes, my plan was to pick College of Swords once we hit three, and then multiclass with Hexblade Warlock. I have never done any kind of multiclassing build before, so I'm pretty unsure about when to do it or how far to take it. Like, at what level should I grab the Warlock stuff? And looking at what Warlock's get, I'm wondering if I shouldn't get up to level three in that class before going back to Bard stuff? Another option I'd considered was possibly taking 1 level in Warlock and then 3 in Rogue. Basically I want to be as effective a melee Bard as possible without overly diluting myself or gimping myself by timing things wrong, given that ASIs are considered a class feature rather than tied to character level.

The DM is also giving us a free feat at level 2, so I'm looking for something that'll synergize well with this kind of thing. Currently looking at Dual Wielder to go with the College of Swords Two-Weapon Fighting Style, but maybe that is a bad choice?

What are you trying to achieve with that build that a Sword bard can't do by itself?

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

bewilderment posted:

What are you trying to achieve with that build that a Sword bard can't do by itself?

Use Charisma for attack and damage? Get Eldritch Blast to fight at range? Get Devil's Sight, or Silent Image and Disguise Self at will?

Kor
Feb 15, 2012

bewilderment posted:

The big things are the Hexblade's Curse feature and the ability to use Charisma instead of Dex on my main attack roll. Warlock just seems to have some more neat things in general, especially if I take it up to at least 2 and get access to Eldritch Invocations, as LogicNinja said. Taking it to 3 would get me a Pact Boon, probably Pact of the Blade which also has an Invocation or two to go along with it.

The consideration for Rogue was just generally boosting single-target attack damage and mobility, but if I were to go down Rogue at all I would want to take it to Level 3 to pick up the Swashbuckler Archetype.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Kor posted:

What's your race? Say variant human.

Kor
Feb 15, 2012

Splicer posted:

What's your race? Say variant human.

I went with half-elf, but there is still time to change it up.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Kor posted:

Half-Elf is also acceptable if your DM is one of the people that actually allows players to take Elven Accuracy.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Kor posted:

Can't really argue with half elf. Dump str, I personally would take exactly 14 dex since you're going to get medium armour. Grab warlock at level 2 to get right to the medium armour + cha based hitting. Also, take Green Flame Blade and Find Familiar with your warlock spells. After that it's hard to go wrong. I wouldn't worry about your asis too much, you're basically running a one-stat build.

For your feat, your level 14 ability kind of replaces two weapon fighting as a Thing, but it's also a level 14 ability while multiclassing so... On the other hand you could use your warlock shield proficiency to sword and board it with duellist, meaning you can take warcaster for serious GFB/booming blade shenanigans.

Kor
Feb 15, 2012

Splicer posted:

For your feat, your level 14 ability kind of replaces two weapon fighting as a Thing, but it's also a level 14 ability while multiclassing so... On the other hand you could use your warlock shield proficiency to sword and board it with duellist, meaning you can take warcaster for serious GFB/booming blade shenanigans.

That actually seems pretty good. My only concern is using Booming Blade/GFB, while requiring a melee attack, doesn't actually count as an Attack action I don't think? So it'd really sideline the College of Sword's Blade Flourish abilities. Though looking at what they do and that as a Hexblade I'd have access to the Shield spell, maybe that's an even trade?

Edit: Also I'm not entirely sure what you mean by getting a replacement for two-weapon fighting at 14? At 6, Bard College of Swords would let me attack twice on an Attack action, which definitely minimizes the need/want for two-weapon fighting, but runs into the issue again of using lots of Cantrips instead of basic Attack actions.

Kor fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jan 10, 2018

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Anyone use the flanking for advantage rule? Seems pretty OP unless you have smart monsters taking advantage. Also seems like you might want a use AOO when moving through threatened squares to reduce mobility a bit, instead of AOO only when moving out of range.

For Rogue sneak attack, it is advantage on attack OR having an ally in a flanking position to trigger sneak?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

The Slack Lagoon posted:

For Rogue sneak attack, it is advantage on attack OR having an ally in a flanking position to trigger sneak?
Both, you get it if you have advantage or if you have someone fighting your target in melee range (like an ally or an npc hostile to the target).

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jan 10, 2018

Your Lottery
Apr 27, 2009

Kor posted:

That actually seems pretty good. My only concern is using Booming Blade/GFB, while requiring a melee attack, doesn't actually count as an Attack action I don't think? So it'd really sideline the College of Sword's Blade Flourish abilities. Though looking at what they do and that as a Hexblade I'd have access to the Shield spell, maybe that's an even trade?

Edit: Also I'm not entirely sure what you mean by getting a replacement for two-weapon fighting at 14? At 6, Bard College of Swords would let me attack twice on an Attack action, which definitely minimizes the need/want for two-weapon fighting, but runs into the issue again of using lots of Cantrips instead of basic Attack actions.

You need pact of the chain or pact of the tome to get find familiar as a warlock. If you plan on primarily being a bard, you probably shouldn't go more than 2 levels into warlock (1 for hex warrior, 2 for invocations) because of how much it will delay your bard progression. Pact of the blade doesn't provide a lot of utility for college of swords - you already get extra attack, and a two-handed weapon can't use your dueling or two-weapon fighting style.

GFB/BB are still good even if you can't flourish with them because your flourishes consume your inspirations, which only come back on long rests until you hit bard 5. Note that if you are playing AL (you didn't say, so I assume not, but just in case...) you can't get SCAG cantrips if Xanathar's is your +1.

Swashbuckler 3 gives you a free disengage, adds Cha to initiative, and gives you an extra 2d6 damage a turn from sneak attack - as well as cunning action, expertise, and another skill. But it does mean 3 levels slower at getting the bard stuff.

Personally, I would just go straight bard, or maybe bard 1/warlock 2/bard from then on. If you really want to dip multiple classes, give up on being a 'bard' and make a eldritch blast gunslinger: variant human (war caster) warlock 2 (EB, agonizing blast), sorc 4 (quicken, ASI 1), fighter 2 (action surge, defensive style), warlock 4 (pact of choice, ASI 2), assassin 3 (crits on surprise). Make your arcane focus rod look like a pistol, shoot 3 to 9 eldritch blasts per round. Use spell slots for utility spells or to recover sorcery points to quicken EB.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Kor posted:

Gfb/bb aren't a replacement for sword flourish, they're a supplement. Because they scale with character level, not class level, and aren't limited by your bardic inspiration supply, you can think of them as two extra blade flourish options that don't cost dice. Since you're multiclassing your bardic inspiration progression is going to take a hit, and you're not going to get your second attack for a while longer than normal, so having the right tool for the job will help keep up. Also, one of the war caster bennies is you can use cantrips for movement based opportunity attacks, including the blades, and that'll stay a massive disincentive for anyone to walk away from your fancy dueling.

Ignore what I said about the 14th level thing though I got mixed up with valor bard :v: going twf and ignoring literally everything I just said, just as good

Splicer fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jan 10, 2018

Kor
Feb 15, 2012

Alright, I think I've got an idea of a class/level-up path to go with now. Thanks for the advice, y'all.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Your Lottery posted:

He's talked about a few times. I think most recently was his AMA on reddit last month:
https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/7kuzsa/ama_mike_mearls_dd_creative_director/drhivxd/
"I'd remove bonus actions, rebuilding specific abilities to capture what they are trying to do. For instance, healing word could let heal someone and include a melee or ranged attack as part of the spell.

Bonus actions add complexity that doesn't need to be there. I like keeping things streamlined when I can."

I don’t think I agree with this. I suppose I’ll never have enough experience with this system to speak to it. But I do remember the design space for swift action being pretty desperately needed at the end of 3.5.

But this is his “one thing that he’d change” so it’s certain that I’d never come to terms with Mearls.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Toplowtech posted:

Both, you get it if you have advantage or if you have someone fighting your target in melee range (like an ally or an npc hostile to the target).

As a follow-up, ranged sneak attack - even if not hidden /advantage if Target is adjacent to one of your allies it triggers?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I asked Reddit for ideas or experiences running towns that don't have "town guards" i.e. modern cops dressed up in a historical fashion. That mode of policing is ahistorical and while I don't think it's necessary to be accurate to medieval history, I was curious to see what it was like for people who ran worlds without cops.

But because Reddit are a bunch of mush-brained children, 90% of the answers were "I dressed up the cops as something else but they function the same."

So let's try it here. Have you guys run any settings without traditional "town guards?" In particular, I'm interested in how the city runs, what if any consequences await players who'd become petty tyrants, and if alternative forms of security like social shunning have made any fun stories. I remember reading that Bryn Shander's law enforcement was effectively the town shunning troublemakers because the cold nights would kill anyone locked outside.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Nehru the Damaja posted:

So let's try it here. Have you guys run any settings without traditional "town guards?" In particular, I'm interested in how the city runs, what if any consequences await players who'd become petty tyrants, and if alternative forms of security like social shunning have made any fun stories. I remember reading that Bryn Shander's law enforcement was effectively the town shunning troublemakers because the cold nights would kill anyone locked outside.

I haven’t done it but I’ve thought about a town that works like the one in Hot Fuzz. Idyllic on the outside because of homicidal psychos maintaining the Greater Good. I think there was a Fallout 3 settlement like that too.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Or the peasants self police and if someone is causing problems then some money justice occurs

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
That sounds like an adventure hook with the PCs being hired as freelance police.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

The Slack Lagoon posted:

As a follow-up, ranged sneak attack - even if not hidden /advantage if Target is adjacent to one of your allies it triggers?
Yes, if the target is in melee range of someone fighting him, you can sneak attack them with a basic ranged weapon attack. The logic is that he is too busy fighting to prevent you to gently caress him up. I really hate that it's called sneak attack when it's not an attack just damage.The 5E Rogues are balanced around the idea of getting their Sneak Attack damage every round. You will rarely ever get more than one attack per round anyway. Note it's one sneak attack per turn, if someone give you a surprise attack on their turn, you can sneak attack again if the conditions are met (allies in 5 feet range from the target and you do not have disadvantage).

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jan 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Lottery
Apr 27, 2009

DalaranJ posted:

But this is his “one thing that he’d change” so it’s certain that I’d never come to terms with Mearls.

Eh, he means that's his biggest thing, not his only thing. Here's another list from a past AMA:
https://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/6bbfar/ama_mike_mearls_5th_edition_dd_lead_designer/dhlcnpm/

Mearls posted:

Stuff about 5e that bugs me:

Cyclical initiative - too predictable

Fighter subclasses - so bland!

The divide in the warlock between the pact and the pact boon - boons should be options chosen from among stuff your specific pact can give

Ranger - I'd rebuild it using the paladin as more of a model

Druid - I'd make shapeshifting more central, maybe scale casting back to paladin or rogue level, use a nature domain for the guy with a scimitar and shield

James Wyatt wrote a cool sample adventure for the DMG that we couldn't include. Wish we had.

A better treatment of actions - action typing is still too fuzzy for more tastes.

Bonus action - they're pretty hacky; I'd get rid of them and just design smarter. Prior editions always poke through your thinking and distort it. We were so dependent on swift/minor actions that it took a lot of work to stop framing concepts in their terms.
I doubt we would all agree with all of these, but I bet most would agree with bland fighters and fuzzy action types.