Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
So, Chapter 1205 recently got leaked. To almost nobody's surprise, it was a complete gag fight that added nothing to Takamura's story progression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink Top
Jul 21, 2012
Serious question: Is Morikawa his own editor or does he have so much clout that an editor wouldn't be able to give him advice anymore?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Keep in mind that even at the height of its popularity, Toriyama's editor Kazuhiko Torishima still had a fair bit of say over Dragon Ball (the Android saga is an example of this, where he balked at No. 19 and No. 20 being the big bads - "A fatass and an old man? gently caress off" - before further balking at No. 17 and No. 18 being the replacement big villains - "They're just a couple of punk kids! gently caress off" - resulting in Cell being introduced and then refined into Perfect Cell), so who knows.

I would imagine he'd still have considerable clout, largely due to longevity, but I suspect his editor would probably occasionally have some words with him over the direction of the series every so often.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Flubby posted:

I'm unfamiliar with the actual sport of boxing. Is someone with that kind of damage even allowed back in the ring at any point? Ippo has it pretty bad. Hand tremors. Missing time. Loss of balance. Is there any kind of brain damage to that degree that isn't permanent? Besides the fact that he said he'd retire if he ever lost again, is there any chance he could come back in 5 years, cross Takamura's monster line, figure out what that tree is trying to tell him about being strong, lose his virginity, and sign up with another gym? I'd like maybe some kind of true story of any boxer that's gone through this so I have some idea of what the author can even do at this point.

In the actual and very honorable sport of boxing, if there is money to be made in ppv, then pretty much anything goes

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Vagabundo posted:

Keep in mind that even at the height of its popularity, Toriyama's editor Kazuhiko Torishima still had a fair bit of say over Dragon Ball (the Android saga is an example of this, where he balked at No. 19 and No. 20 being the big bads - "A fatass and an old man? gently caress off" - before further balking at No. 17 and No. 18 being the replacement big villains - "They're just a couple of punk kids! gently caress off" - resulting in Cell being introduced and then refined into Perfect Cell), so who knows

Incorrect it was actually an ex-editor who told toryiama to nix the Android's.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Hahaha gently caress imagine if you actually binged this manga and actually ended up at this recent stuff...hah...just imagine it. :smithicide:

ChaseSP fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Dec 13, 2017

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

ChaseSP posted:

Hahaha gently caress imagine if you actually binged this manga and actually ended up at this recent stuff...hah...just imagine it. :smithicide:

I would say the actually good fights make it worth it I guess :shobon:

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Oh for sure, but goddamn catching up over it all to end up at the current point is not a good feeling.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

I've been slowly re-reading the manga these last few months and I must say I wish Ippo's style evolved using the Sawamura fight as a template. He still got punched a lot, and used the Dempsey Roll in the end, but he fought better than normally. He evaded most of Sawamura's attacks in the first few rounds while still advancing and attacking himself, did a few counters and had a good strategy of attacking primarily the liver to slow Sawamura.

It was a good fight.

And man, just after the Sawamura fight you get the story about Ippo's dad and Umezawa's resigning and starting his manga, some of my favorite scenes in the manga.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I love that Sawamura fight in Rising too, very well done stuff.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
A medically accurate asspull would be Ippo just having a particularly bad concussion.

You can have symptoms like Ippo for literally months to well over a whole year before fully recovering in some cases.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
the next 300 chapters will be a race to see what Ippo will lose first, his mind, his concussion, or his virginity

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Why would the author give him a monster hog, bring it up repeatedly, and then keep him an asexual virgin? I don't understand.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

dick jokes bro

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

ElGroucho posted:

Why would the author give him a monster hog, bring it up repeatedly, and then keep him an asexual virgin? I don't understand.

its an autobiographical manga

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
My two guesses:

Dude is loving sick of manga hours, calling it quits

This ties into how Takamura has been seeing Ippo, in that he doesn't have the killing spirit needed to be among the best. Ippo has another change of heart, embraces a new part of himself and punchmans.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

man the Bison vs Takamura fight was going so well until that stupid TOE WHIRLWIND bullshit, I had honestly forgotten about that

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
It was honestly the most nonsensical rear end-pull. It was like Morikawa realized too late he had written himself into a corner with how the fight was going and just decided to pretend he was writing a different manga for a little bit.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
does someone have a list of all the boxers that Ippo has forced to retire?

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
yeah himself haha

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
What's going on with the release schedule lately? Is Morikawa still really sick?

BlackCircle
Oct 21, 2005

I did Nazi that butt coming
So I'm all caught up on Ippo and I know earlier in the thread somewhere there was a bunch of other boxing manga that people had recommended. I tore through Rikudou pretty drat quick but were there any other really good ones that I should take the time to read?

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
well all rounder meguru has some boxing in it, but its about mma. how important is it that its pure boxing?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

BlackCircle posted:

So I'm all caught up on Ippo and I know earlier in the thread somewhere there was a bunch of other boxing manga that people had recommended. I tore through Rikudou pretty drat quick but were there any other really good ones that I should take the time to read?
RRR is really good.

BlackCircle
Oct 21, 2005

I did Nazi that butt coming

Wild Horses posted:

well all rounder meguru has some boxing in it, but its about mma. how important is it that its pure boxing?

Not overly. I would prefer boxing but general combat sports stuff would probably be a fun read.

quote:

RRR is really good.
Is that short for something or is that the actual name of the manga?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Rock 'n Roll Ricky.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Wild Horses posted:

i read somewhere this got cancelled but i have no idea if its true

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

i saw that it ended but it's like, it's about highschool sports, it could easily just end with meguru deciding to be a japanese salaryman and it wouldn't be strange at all.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
All Rounder Meguru is very cool but the translations come out even slower than chapters of Ippo...

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I remember enjoying RRR, but it had a kind of abrupt ending or something.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

rushed final arc, but a good final fight nonetheless.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
https://imgur.com/a/4L1DS

Ippo 1207 fanlation.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
:rip: Ippo I can't believe his head exploded

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

was that... it???

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
LMFAO

They should end this thing like they ended the Sopranos

Page 20: Ippo takes a monster wallop to the dome
Page 21: BLACK

THE END

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

so ippos gonna die

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

well boxers keep fighting with brain damage all the time, i kinda figured they would go this route. He needs to hurry up and gently caress tho

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Nah man it's going to be Itagaki gaiden for 15 years and then get to Ippo's return.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Wait. THE END?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

busysignal
Nov 28, 2013
Mashiba is still great at being a dick.