Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Koalas March
May 21, 2007

I want Musk's head on a pike. It better be the next one after the Trumps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Spaceships are cool, but yeah, I guess I'm okay with that.

Quick request though, can we bump the Koch bros up to slot number two?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Spaceships are cool, but yeah, I guess I'm okay with that.

Quick request, can we bump the Koch bros up to slot number two, though?

Yeah that's fair

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Condiv posted:

nah. there's plenty of reasons for musk to chase mars aside from altruism

meanwhile on planet earth, people are suffering and musk is underpaying and overworking his workers. an altruistic person would at least make sure the people working for him weren't being treated like poo poo

Sure, but misguided pursuit of the wrong kind of suboptimal altruistic goal is still qualitatively different from mere selfish hoarding.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
While you might think that Mr. Potter is the antagonist in It’s A Wonderful Life, did you know that George Bailey was really the most evil one, being the richest man in town?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

twodot posted:

There's no chance of Earth ever been less hospitable than Mars, developing infrastructure to get stuff to Mars will never do anything to materially improve the lives of the poor on Earth. This isn't to say it's a fundamentally bad thing to do, I think NASA and SNAP should both exist side by side, but it's an immense act of hubris to think it's appropriate to build your own personal NASA.

Except in reality we live in a world where nuclear war is possible and NASA is not being adequately funded by government. Like sure in an ideal world it would be a government function but we don't live in that world.

Similarly the Gates Foundation should be redundant with government efforts but unfortunately it isn't.

Primary different being that the Gates Foundation is a token gesture relative to Gates' overall wealth, whereas Musk seems to be all-in on space stuff.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Sure, but misguided pursuit of the wrong kind of suboptimal altruistic goal is still qualitatively different from mere selfish hoarding.

It's not altruistic though. I bet he doesn't even think of it like that honestly. He just wants to do it because he thinks it's cool and wants the loving credit.

It's not like he's out there actually doing other true altruistic poo poo.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

Koalas March posted:

It's not altruistic though. I bet he doesn't even think of it like that honestly. He just wants to do it because he thinks it's cool and wants the loving credit.

I guess there’s a question of intent, and whether that should even matter. If SpaceX’s activities lead to improved technology that raises the quality of life for those on Earth, or expands human knowledge in a substantial way, is it not morally good, even if it was done for selfish means?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Democrazy posted:

While you might think that Mr. Potter is the antagonist in It’s A Wonderful Life, did you know that George Bailey was really the most evil one, being the richest man in town?

That whole part of the plot is about George using his bank to help the community buy and own their own homes while Potter wants to kick everyone out and become a slumlord over them. :colbert:

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

what is good.... what is evil..... *furrows brow*

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

captainblastum posted:

The only point that I'm putting forward is that you cannot determine if a person is good or evil by counting their wealth.

But no one has claimed you can - they have only claimed that (barring a passing and temporary lucky break) you can positively identify evil via wealth-counting.

Which is a very very different claim than the strawman you are arguing against.

Yeah Musk is an interesting one for this debate because he's clearly trying to maximize his investment towards the goal of a Mars colony; everything he's doing rolls back towards that goal, and it's an altruistic one.

He's the sort of evil person that does their evil "for the greater good", which uh... puts him well ahead of most billionaire's, true, but still firmly in the villain camp. And he still absolutely lives like a billionaire from everything I've seen, so even then...

I suppose he has the benefit of exhibiting a sort of evil that could be remedied by circumstance, while most billionaires would continue to be evil even if you robbed them of their billions.

Koalas March posted:

It's not altruistic, but it is idealistic. It's in pursuit of a moral good, albeit one you might not agree with and not done in a selfless manner. That counts for something. He's honestly about as least-evil as a billionaire can be.

He has done other poo poo in pursuit of his ideals, too - the electric cars and solar stuff were very clearly tackled for idealistic reasons.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Except in reality we live in a world where nuclear war is possible and NASA is not being adequately funded by government. Like sure in an ideal world it would be a government function but we don't live in that world.
A completely irradiated Earth would still be more hospitable than Mars. Like even if you had to build perfect air and water recycling and stuff, you would need that anyways on Mars.

quote:

Similarly the Gates Foundation should be redundant with government efforts but unfortunately it isn't.

Primary different being that the Gates Foundation is a token gesture relative to Gates' overall wealth, whereas Musk seems to be all-in on space stuff.
Campaigning on the need for this to be a societal responsibility seems a lot more ethical than building space rockets because you think space rockets are cool.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Democrazy posted:

I guess there’s a question of intent, and whether that should even matter. If SpaceX’s activities lead to improved technology that raises the quality of life for those on Earth, or expands human knowledge in a substantial way, is it not morally good, even if it was done for selfish means?

I mean, we should strive to not live in a world where the only people trying to do meaningful technical work on space exploration aren't eccentric rear end in a top hat billionaire white boys.

The fact that we think it might even be kind of ok for Musk to do what he does instead of NASA is absurd.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Musk is so full bullshit. If you are worried about the planet, why don't you actually use your billions and lobby to reverse that poo poo? He could remove a giant carbon footprint by fixing infrastructure and giving some rando city free power via solar panels and poo poo.

If you care about humanity, help humanity. Don't gently caress off to space because you want to play with toys and bask in your own personal glory.

Dude doesn't pay his employees a living wage. he can gently caress right off and die.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

Definitely different, yes, though whether it's better or worse depends on circumstance. There's plenty of people who have thrown massive amounts of money at ostensibly well-meaning enterprises who were actively harmful. I tend to think Musk is at best not helpful.

Colonizing Mars is cool and all, but in the grand scheme of good and cool things to do that should be several hundred entries below 'donate to the poor' or 'treat your employees to model standards' or maybe even just 'actually work towards carbon emission reduction in a sane and focused way'. Musk seems more like a really motivated child, where he can be potentially ignorant of the scope of his actions and still not be a good measure of moral action.

Like, part of the problem is that exo-colonies are just not a step we're ready for as a species. The Earth is home, it is the only habitable place we know of, and it will take an IMMENSE investment to make anywhere else even vaguely habitable without CONSTANT resupply from Earth. That's something that would be a lot easier to tackle if we had a sane, stable environment here on Earth, which he doesn't really seem to be making much effort to procure.

Democrazy posted:

Intent matters for most legal purposes, and intent matters in most (not all, but most) sensible moral frameworks, in no small part because accidentally doing the right thing once by coincidence is no measure of whether you'll happen to incidentally do the right thing again in the future. Musk seems to be, at best, ignorant of ways he could be putting his money to work in doing anything but advancing his one pet project, and in this day and age someone with that much wealth doesn't have much of an excuse for not even trying to put up a philanthropic front. I don't think he's malicious, per se, but I feel like he probably squanders a lot of his ability to affect positive change.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

It's not altruistic, but it is idealistic. It's in pursuit of a moral good, albeit one you might not agree with and not done in a selfless manner. That counts for something. He's honestly about as least-evil as a billionaire can be.

He has done other poo poo in pursuit of his ideals, too - the electric cars and solar stuff were very clearly tackled for idealistic reasons.

By this reasoning Ozymandias was the good guy in Watchmen.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Democrazy posted:

jeff bezos is not going to save you.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

lotta temporarily embarrassed millionaires itt

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I like how super obvious it is that it was super important to figure out a way to hate Oprah for some reason ahead of time if she was going to run for president and no one could come up with anything specific so "she's a rich woman" became the generic fallback.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Koalas March posted:

By this reasoning Ozymandias was the good guy in Watchmen.

Yes! Exactly!

I mean there's a decent argument that, in fact, he is

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Colonizing Mars is cool and all, but in the grand scheme of good and cool things to do that should be several hundred entries below 'donate to the poor' or 'treat your employees to model standards' or maybe even just 'actually work towards carbon emission reduction in a sane and focused way'. Musk seems more like a really motivated child, where he can be potentially ignorant of the scope of his actions and still not be a good measure of moral action.

I think this is a misunderstanding and understatement of the scale of the problem. Mars isn't just uninhabitable, it's a death world, and it would take several hundred years of advanced terraforming to make a dent in that. Venus is even worse, and the best we could manage on any reasonably close body is small domed cities.

It's not just that prioritizing space colonization over improving Earth is unethical, it's that it's literally not going to happen, especially when the next nearest potential site to try is four and a half years away at the speed of light - a feat we are unlikely to achieve in our lifetimes.

It's like being told your house is on fire and responding that no, it's ok, the unicorns will save us. It's a ludicrous non-solution to the problem.

^ you're really dumb lmao

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I like how super obvious it is that it was super important to figure out a way to hate Oprah for some reason ahead of time if she was going to run for president and no one could come up with anything specific so "she's a rich woman" became the generic fallback.

also apparently people hate Oprah more than Musk... I wonder what's different about them.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Yes! Exactly!

lol I actually do agree with this argument, I was being tongue in cheek.

I still want Musk in front of a firing squad tho.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

PT6A posted:

Let say a billionaire gives away all their money except for $50 million, which is still a huge amount of money obviously. That's a one-time thing, it's not going to do poo poo about the problems that led to someone being able to accumulate over a billion dollars in the first place, nor is it going to do anything about the other billionaires who do not give their money away.

I'm not sure I agree with this. It's ignoring the fact that, if you give that money away, that's a lot more money circulating among the poor/working class and would impact a lot of people.

It also comes back to the point I made earlier about how "but if I hold onto the money I can grow it and use it to do X" can pretty much always be used as an argument. It also leads to some weird conclusions, like "it's important we have super rich people so that a lot of money can be put towards political causes." Organizations should do that, not people, and it's better for many working class people to decide on their own how to use their money. And on just a basic moral level, why does this single person deserve to have that kind of influence in the first place? Maybe the people they donate to can choose to use some of that money for political purposes if they want. It should be their choice.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Koalas March posted:

also apparently people hate Oprah more than Musk... I wonder what's different about them.
Musk has made billions while advancing the state of the art of a variety of technologies while Oprah has made billions hosting a talk show?

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Was gonna say, but Koalas kinda beat me to it,

Koalas March posted:

Lightning Knight posted:

I think this is a misunderstanding and understatement of the scale of the problem.

You're right that it was an understatement. I'm well aware of the scope of the problem, and I absolutely agree that it's not really something that's on the radar. I hope that was clear in the rest of the content of my posts.

I will say you COULD argue Ozymandias is the good guy in Watchmen, by a relative measure of the fact that among the various monstrous personalities on display he's at least competent in his callous inhumanity?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

I'm not sure I agree with this. It's ignoring the fact that, if you give that money away, that's a lot more money circulating among the poor/working class and would impact a lot of people.

It also comes back to the point I made earlier about how "but if I hold onto the money I can grow it and use it to do X" can pretty much always be used as an argument. It also leads to some weird conclusions, like "it's important we have super rich people so that a lot of money can be put towards political causes." Organizations should do that, not people, and it's better for many working class people to decide on their own how to use their money. And on just a basic moral level, why does this single person deserve to have that kind of influence in the first place? Maybe the people they donate to can choose to use some of that money for political purposes if they want. It should be their choice.

Also, iirc there was a study that said the best way to get people out of poverty was literally give them money. No hoops, no strings. Just loving do it.

That's one of the reasons the Keep Your Head Up thread in TGRS is set up the way it is. The best way to help to the poor is to give us loving money. And all the arguments against this are loving garbage.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Yes! Exactly!

I'm going to spoil the plot of a 40 year old book in this post.

I wanted to point out that this is hilarious in this context because Ozymandias is literally an rear end in a top hat white dude who is so convinced that he can and should be the one to save the world that he works himself into positions of power and wealth after participating in a closed off good old white boys club that enforced the will of the government and poo poo on the marginalized so that he can execute an inane scheme to end the Cold War and prevent nuclear war. Which "works" by killing tens of millions of people, and will fall apart unless he keeps dropping aliens on cities to keep the governments going with the plan and also will fall apart when he dies.

The literal entire point of Watchmen is that everyone in the story is an rear end in a top hat terrible person, and Ozymandias and Rorshach are especially terrible people because they both think they're actually the good guys.

Ozymandias is actually a pretty good comparison for Musk though, as far as whiny rich white boys who think they're gonna save the world go.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
What has Elon Musk actually accomplished besides burning a metric fuckton of venture capital money on various boondoggles? Tesla is producing a handful of cars at a massive loss and we already knew how to send poo poo into space half a century ago. To me the dude seems like a poster boy for failing upwards.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

I think an uncomfortable conclusion to this is that presently our definition of "wealthy" is probably too narrow. We're talking about billionaires right now, but are people who make 150 thousand a year and aren't sharing some of that implicitly immoral as well? From the perspective of the people making 6 dollars a month, they probably are. Implicitly, the majority of people living in the developed world are basically bad people right out of the gate, including most of the forum goers. There's not much we can do about that on an individual level other than give money wherever we can, but yeah.

Yeah, this is what I was getting at in an earlier post. I think you can definitely say it's immoral to (using your example) make $150,000, but I think there's just a great difference in degree at that point. It's like the difference between punching someone and gunning down 1000 people. I also think an important difference once you're talking about middle class people is that, even though they technically have disposable income they could use charitably, they're still at a reasonable risk of future financial insolvency. It isn't inconceivable they could face financial hardship in the future, due to some unexpected expense, losing their job, etc. But once you reach a certain level of wealth, that risk no long realistically exists, and once you reach a level even higher than that (like I said earlier, I'd probably say ~$10M or so) you can give away a bunch without any noticeable impact to your quality of life.

So because of this, I don't think it makes sense to compare the developed world working class with the rich.

Cerebral Bore posted:

Personally I don't really give a poo poo about Musk's motivations for his Mars boondoggle, because it shouldn't be his decision to make in the first place.

Yeah, this is really a key thing. Regardless of how well you think the rich are using their money, it shouldn't be their choice to begin with.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jan 10, 2018

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Unfortunately, capitalism by its very nature serves capital, not people. It's right there in the name, really. I don't know how you even sell enough of the right people on universal minimum income and national healthcare if the current governmental trainwreck doesn't end up doing the trick.

If we can pull the US out of its current clusterfuck somehow, great, awesome, otherwise the rest of the world should regard us as a prophetic last warning. I mean, there's still non-zero odds of knock-on effects of global warming driving humanity extinct in a couple hundred years, but I guess I'm not going to be around to see that.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Ytlaya posted:

So because of this, I don't think it makes sense to compare the developed world working class with the rich.

I agree that it's not actually a fair or equal comparison, I was just bringing up that as a matter of perspective, many of us are ludicrously rich compared to the international poor. It's more about how thoroughly unjust the global economic system is, not just how unjust it is for people in the developed world.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, the real answer is that in a just world Elon Musk would be an upper tier executive at NASA.

All the names we have been throwing around are edge edge edge cases. Look at the Forbes billionaires list and it's 99% horrible monster people with a handful of people like Rowling or Oprah or Musk who aren't *obviously* horrible except insofar as the simple fact of their wealth.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Oprah unleashed Dr. Oz on the world :colbert:

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Yeah, the real answer is that in a just world Elon Musk would be an upper tier executive at NASA.

All the names we have been throwing around are edge edge edge cases. Look at the Forbes billionaires list and it's 99% horrible monster people with a handful of people like Rowling or Oprah or Musk who aren't *obviously* horrible except insofar as the simple fact of their wealth.

Musk is obviously horrible. You just need to look into how he treats his workers and manages labor disputes. He's a privileged, entitled rear end in a top hat.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I at least feel like Oprah usually means well, even when she's unfortunately advancing the careers of woo artists. Musk is blatantly myopic. Both are definitely better than the likes of the Koch family, or Trump, or, say, Murdoch.

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

This is where it started, this is the single, simple claim that I disagree with:

Ytlaya posted:

Simply having that kind of money is evil, yes. Once a person has on the order of tens of millions of dollars or more, they're basically iredeemable (unless, of course, they give away most of that money).

Which led to some freaking out that I'm a capitalist bootlicker and temporarily embarrassed millionaire. But that it's. All that I tried to say is that merely looking at a number, the amount of wealth somebody has, is not a valid way to determine if they are good or evil, or even their general level of morality.

GlyphGryph posted:

But no one has claimed you can - they have only claimed that (barring a passing and temporary lucky break) you can positively identify evil via wealth-counting.

Which is a very very different claim than the strawman you are arguing against.

captainblastum posted:

A person's morality cannot be defined by their wealth.

Koalas March posted:

Yes it can lol.

All of the posts about "well no but you see it's about how you make the money or what you do with it" are just... the same thing that I'm saying.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Chomskyan posted:

Musk is obviously horrible. You just need to look into how he treats his workers and manages labor disputes. He's a privileged, entitled rear end in a top hat.

When I say "obviously" I mean "first sentence of their Wikipedia entry" type obvious. Like all you have to know about the Koch Brothers is "oil company owners" to know they're horrible.

I mean Musk may be horrible but he's not obviously horrible from the mere fact that he owns an electric car company and a space rockets company.

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich

captainblastum posted:

All of the posts about "well no but you see it's about how you make the money or what you do with it" are just... the same thing that I'm saying.

those people are idiots

When I say "obviously" I mean "first sentence of their Wikipedia entry" type obvious. Like all you have to know about the Koch Brothers is "oil company owners" to know they're horrible.

wikipedia has his net worth as a fast fact so you don't even need to read the article to know he's poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

captainblastum posted:

All that I tried to say is that merely looking at a number, the amount of wealth somebody has, is not a valid way to determine if they are good or evil, or even their general level of morality

Yeah, nobody agrees with your opinion. Hence the backlash

• Locked thread