Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Sidhe
Jan 9, 2015

CharlestheHammer posted:

You are so weirdly mad about this lol go outside or something,

12.94 per day
Hmm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

queeb posted:

give me full on romanticized three kingdoms. I want my dudes fuckin flyin through the air and poo poo. I'm so pumped for this.

man they better have ragdoll physics!

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

The other thing that was really important was stockades, or lovely wooden fences. I hope those function as destructible cover. They should be really important for surviving night attacks.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

CharlestheHammer posted:

Eh I don't think heroes are something you can just ignore if they go the warhammer route.

Unless they do them like Agents which actually would make a lot of sense. Champions already function like how the heroes would. Plus they can be ignored and I am fine with that.

In a historical title my guess is that what you're getting with "heroes" is a better than average general that might have some unique abilities for improving your army/faction, maybe a quest or two to get them a special weapon, and they'll be strong in combat. Overall I think it's more interesting than having Generic Generals 1-5. I could understand being upset if they were going to give these guys dragons to ride on or magic spells but that's probably not the something we need to worry about.

The one thing they might include which I'm not a fan of is immortality for the Super Special guys.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

StashAugustine posted:

come to think of it riverboat combat would be pretty neat in total war

If they figured out some way to let you do more land-style maneuvering with the infantry on the boats like that post says maybe, but controlling boats in confined spaces in TW has historically been an exercise in frustration. I guess the Yangtze is pretty loving wide though so maybe that's not so much of an issue.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Billzasilver posted:

The other thing that was really important was stockades, or lovely wooden fences. I hope those function as destructible cover. They should be really important for surviving night attacks.

Those are important in literally every time period so I doubt you are gonna see something different than the deployment system used by like Rome 2 or any other other TW game.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

John Charity Spring posted:

I'm gonna take a guess that CA - who are already mentioning the centrality of 'champions' to the game and showcasing heroic-type duels in the cinematic trailer - will probably include what you regard as dumb bullshit in the game, because it's been very well-received by the majority of players of Warhammer and they've already taken steps towards 'legendary lords' in historical games since then.

Ya seems like a no brainer to me. Hopefully Lu Bu has red hare as his mount.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Jamwad Hilder posted:

In a historical title my guess is that what you're getting with "heroes" is a better than average general that might have some unique abilities for improving your army/faction, maybe a quest or two to get them a special weapon, and they'll be strong in combat. Overall I think it's more interesting than having Generic Generals 1-5. I could understand being upset if they were going to give these guys dragons to ride on or magic spells but that's probably not the something we need to worry about.

The one thing they might include which I'm not a fan of is immortality for the Super Special guys.

See I am okay with this.

I don't want units that can wipe out armies themselves like warhammer or vanilla M2. That's just unfun

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

CharlestheHammer posted:

Those are important in literally every time period so I doubt you are gonna see something different than the deployment system used by like Rome 2 or any other other TW game.

Nah, Three Kingdoms leaned heavily into raiding camps and burning supplies. I don’t think the Greek hoplites did that too much.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
Without knowing anything else about the period the armour looks so good and I'm super down for crossbows and pikes

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The argument about killing a thousand people was never based on realism. The truth is the Romance of the Three Kingdoms novel was based on a lot of existing stage plays based on the events. That's why you have a few characters fighting all the battles; because of stage necessities. You can't actually show a battle on stage.

Same for the outlandish costumes. Lu Bu needs to have a crazy hat so he can be identified by the audience. The Cockroach hat was a sign of Martial prowess. The incredibly long tails on Lu Bu's characters hat is comically playing with that tradition. It helps to establish him as an incredibly powerful warrior and also a comic figure with these stupid tassels because he's a complete idiot. He looks ridiculous while also being coded as the strongest warrior on stage.

The historical basis for a lot of these accounts is probably that a core of veteran cavalry would fight duels more or less with their opposite numbers while the peasant conscripts would wait to see who won and then run away if their generals were killed. This is warlordism, so their troops where neither particularly disciplined nor loyal.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Billzasilver posted:

Nah, Three Kingdoms leaned heavily into raiding camps and burning supplies. I don’t think the Greek hoplites did that too much.

Attila was supposed to be all about that poo poo and it didn't get enough mechanics to really realize that so I wouldn't hold your breathe on that.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Agean90 posted:

wonder how many dynasty warriors references they'll be able to sneak in

the dong zhou design is a straight copy, so i would be shocked if there wasnt more

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don't want units that can wipe out armies themselves like warhammer or vanilla M2. That's just unfun
have you not played warhammer since release?

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

This fire-breathing siege weapon is my hero unit.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

have you not played warhammer since release?

Nah, I didn't like it so I stopped playing it as neither the gameplay nor the setting really worked for me.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Davincie posted:

the dong zhou design is a straight copy, so i would be shocked if there wasnt more

Ya Dong Zhou is almost 90% copy of DW but Lu Bu looks very different from the DW version. The DW Lu Bu has the really long red feathers instead of the short ones and his armor is a bit different.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Tomn posted:

I remember Shogun 1's manual kept hammering home the idea that they designed the entire game around "The Art of War" over and over again.

Not just any baby - the baby was the general's son. One of his top subordinates had dashed back into the fight during a retreat to save his commander's son. On presenting the kid to his boss, the general threw the kid down yelling "For the sake of this child, I almost lost one of my best warriors!"

Said general is traditionally regarded as the "good guy" in the setting BTW.

Liu Bei is a hilariously brazen serial traitor. It's going to be fun to see if they gave him a campaign where he gets to switch sides four times. One time he managed to get a major city garrison transferred to his control, marched them out, turned them around and besieged the city with his new troops. I wonder if they'll have any of that part of his character.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
ya I remember there was a big post in one of the history threads, probably by you, about how much of a dick Liu Bei was

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Cao Cao genuinely was the good guy. You can tell by his wonderful laugh.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

They've already made a Pontus meme of this:

Haven't the TWC guys wanted Three Kingdoms China for over a decade at this point? I seem to remember that popping up constantly way back when.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

If we can't directly control hero units on a ground level ala Rise & Fall: Civilizations at War and murder the gently caress out of thousands of units solo then why is this even being made?????

feller
Jul 5, 2006

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME
I hope once they've got the framework and the map done they do a FoTS style Victorian campaign set during the Opium Wars or the Taiping rebellion. Not enough games let you play as Jesus Christ's younger brother.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Randarkman posted:

Haven't the TWC guys wanted Three Kingdoms China for over a decade at this point? I seem to remember that popping up constantly way back when.

Yes but you see it's not faithful enough! To start with the uniforms are a much too bright shade of red and furthermore

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

In Koei's Warriors games, isn't Nobunaga literally just a palette swap of Cao Cao, down to having the same voice actor?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Total War Megathread 2 - Do Not Cycle Charge Lu Bu

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Ok I could get into hero units if you couldn't control them and deploying Lu Bu resulting in a 50% chance of him either destroying the enemy or traitoring you.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The best Three Kingdoms version is http://www.3kingdomspodcast.com/ where one guy who just freaking loves the book decided to retell it himself in podcast form every week for the last 3 years.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008

Funky Valentine posted:

Yes.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

V for Vegas posted:

The best Three Kingdoms version is http://www.3kingdomspodcast.com/ where one guy who just freaking loves the book decided to retell it himself in podcast form every week for the last 3 years.

I can't stand this guy's voice, myself.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF-MDuXXiSI

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Funky Valentine posted:

This is the fastest we get the right thread title.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Jamwad Hilder posted:

In the Warhammer games half of the heroes are just badass units without any cool mounts or magic powers. It's just stuff like "guy with crowssbow who is a really good shot and can shoot your general" or "dude with sword and shield who is really good at fighting in close range." They get neat tertiary effects that wouldn't necessarily be out of place in a historical game, like firing poisoned arrows, causing terror or fear in enemy units, providing additional morale boosts to local troops, being immune to psychology, etc. There's a lot of space for noteworthy individuals that aren't necessarily going to kill 1000 men solo, but can still decisively turn the tide of a battle through their actions.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Yeah Shogun had explicit 'hero' units with like a dozen guys

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, if immersion is a big deal you could just give a singular hero a small retinue of like twenty, kinda like a small-scale version of the old general units. A small unit of elite fighters lead by a hero carving through a larger unit of dirt conscripts wouldn't really look out of place much at all.

Though I do hope they put some more detail into hero-vs-hero fights if heroes are indeed the way they're going. That's one of the bigger weaknesses of Total Warhammer to me, you've got these legendary heroes going up against each other in cinematic clashes, but most of the time it works out to the two of them just awkwardly floating around each other swinging into the other's general direction until one of them runs out of healthbar. It's one of those situations where synchronised animations/fights would actually be pretty neat. Which they seemed to have learned to a degree with Warhams 2, considering the various synchronised attacks between monsters.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
I want heroes to be super units that activate a kill counter over their head and rake up thousands of kills, giving you a score from D- to S+ at the end of the battle.

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop
They using Warhammer's engine for the new 3 Kingdoms release or something else?

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Isn’t it the same engine with heavy modifications for each game since Empire?

In any case I hope they run the ship as tight as it was for Warhams

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

now im kinda tempted to get a dynasty warriors game to relive playing dw3 on my cousin's ps2