Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

stop mining to an exchange wallet, especially coinbase good lord

:dukedoge: never

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

1gnoirents posted:

I agree, but my understanding is they're just making much large payments to Coinbase while Coinbase itself just makes funds available to users without actually transferring any money at all thus avoiding fees completely. So Nicehash can just give them 100 bitcoins (for example) at a reasonable fee, much less than the percentage its making off mining, especially later when they start requiring fees for Coinbase transfers too.

Personally I like having it in Coinbase because thats yet another free and instant transfer to GDAX but its a lot of poop touching. Nothing will beat $10 payout limits directly to Paypal or Amazon with winminer. Its actually nice to have choices...

The downside of Nicehash is the lost/stole $60 million from their users. The upside is they have a shady, opaque deal with a crypto currency exchange.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Kazinsal posted:

Winminer folks, what are you all set up for mining? It's autoselected ZEN on a 1080 Ti, wondering if there's something better.

It tends to switch back and forth between a few of the equihash-based altcoins periodically (ZEN, ZEC, ZCL and HUSH). It'll occasionally benchmark something else but I've never really seen it mine anything other than those four with any regularity. Sometimes it takes a while for it to switch to something more profitable but it's not really worth worrying about. My 1080 does around 490-500 solutions/second for Equihash at 62% TDP. At 100% TDP the solution rate goes up by 10%, so it's really not worth it. If you have a relatively recent CPU it can also actually be profitable to let Winminer use that too; my i7-8700K does 380-400 ETN solutions/sec for about $1.50/day while only using ~60 watts extra over idle power. Not as profitable as the GPU, but if I have the computer turned on anyway...

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 10, 2018

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Lockback posted:

The downside of Nicehash is the lost/stole $60 million from their users. The upside is they have a shady, opaque deal with a crypto currency exchange.

Yes that is the situation, and its understandable if for that reason alone you wont give them business. I mean its a big reason. But despite having "lost" $340 with them nobody pays even close to what they are - daily. So until somebody does I can swallow the moral issue of mining with them since I'm risking nothing by doing so. The only retarded thing nobody should do is actually store money with them or, god help you, buy bitcoin through them. Until the next """""""""""hack""""""""""""" I'll gladly take $700 a month, I can't even get mad when it happens because it seems almost unlikely for them not to swindle everybody again.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
MPH pays rates on par with Nicehash, so if you don't like them, they're a perfectly valid alternative option.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
What are you getting on Nicehash vs Winminer? The difference was like 10% the last few times I checked, and the conversion to get out more than made up that difference unless I was going to play crypto-whack-a-mole on the exchanges themselves.

Numinous
May 20, 2001

College Slice

Nitrousoxide posted:

That... doesn't seem right. Whattomine has that at $5.31 a day (ignoring energy costs) for the most profitable coin.

On the topic of burstcoins. Holy poo poo does it take a long time to plot drives. I've finished with 1 tb out of the 32 tb array I'm setting up after 24 hours, with another 1.5 tb being processed via a cpu plotter over 3 machines and 7.25 tb being plotted using a gpu plotter. I have no idea how far along the gpu plot is because the command prompt for it stopped showing updates yesterday, but the task manager is still showing lots of activity on the drive so I'll have faith that it's still doing its job. There's still 22.25 tb that I haven't even started to plot yet. This could take a week or more.

It's a long spin up time initially but the power and CPU usage once you are plotted is very minimal. You can also move those plots around to different drives for just the time it takes to copy the file so it's pretty efficient if you upgrade down the road.

The dev team is also working on ways to minimize the startup time with the new version of the software and actually using the storage for something useful.

As a tip, I would recommend staying away from assets at this point in time. There is some upheaval within the community which seems to be calming but once the dymaxion is implemented I think It'll be a better time to invest.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Numinous posted:

It's a long spin up time initially but the power and CPU usage once you are plotted is very minimal. You can also move those plots around to different drives for just the time it takes to copy the file so it's pretty efficient if you upgrade down the road.

The dev team is also working on ways to minimize the startup time with the new version of the software and actually using the storage for something useful.

As a tip, I would recommend staying away from assets at this point in time. There is some upheaval within the community which seems to be calming but once the dymaxion is implemented I think It'll be a better time to invest.

Yeah, it's a really long start up time but I like their idea and I don't feel as bad about trashing the environment (as much) because you only compute these hashes once and you reuse them over and over on the hard drives.

Plus I live in a 350 sqr foot apartment so a loud mining rig for other coins would be obnoxious.

Maybe I'll build one with some 570s in a bit though since you can basically have them run silent, or nearly so, while mining. They'll take a hit to ROI and increase my exposure a bit to the eventual crash, but it might be cool to play around with the hardware and learn about controlling the miner remotely.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Well, I can’t find 1080ti’s in stock anywhere anymore, I figured I might as well touch poop if it’s going to get me a free video card.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Frank Dillinger posted:

Well, I can’t find 1080ti’s in stock anywhere anymore, I figured I might as well touch poop if it’s going to get me a free video card.

To get a "free" video card, you'd have to mine for 120+ days, and the payouts would have to hold at their current levels for that entire time, and you'd have to avoid having your butts stolen, which is a questionable proposition all the way around.

On the other hand, at current rates you'd only have to mine with a 1080Ti for about 20 days to earn $150, which if you cashed out and stuffed away is probably about the price drop you could expect to see once Ampere drops. Or would be if you could get a 1080Ti anywhere near MSRP. At $900+ for them, though, you're paying quite a lot extra on the assumption that the market remains good, which is not a guarantee.

Basically, if you're already looking to game with it, anyhow, it's a nice bonus, but sinking nearly $1000 into hardware specifically to mine with is not the most brilliant of plans.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Oh no, it’s a gaming upgrade first and foremost. I can afford the card, the extra money is gravy.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
So, for those who forgot, last summer I turned an RX470 into a 1070 by selling to a miner and going a month without a graphics card earlier this year.

I.. uh, I'm feeling a strong compulsion to sell the 1070 I bought for $400 for $600 and just keep this going. God drat GPUs are weird.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Craptacular! posted:

So, for those who forgot, last summer I turned an RX470 into a 1070 by selling to a miner and going a month without a graphics card earlier this year.

I.. uh, I'm feeling a strong compulsion to sell the 1070 I bought for $400 for $600 and just keep this going. God drat GPUs are weird.

How are you going to sell a 1070 for 600?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

PerrineClostermann posted:

How are you going to sell a 1070 for 600?

Looked at eBay lately?

edit: That's sold listings, mind.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
New 1070s selling for $700 :stare: I wonder how much crazier this can get. Some new 1080Tis are up to Titan Xp pricing :lol:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Friendly reminder that if you sell over eBay your buyers have up to 6 months to change their minds regardless of your return policy.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Paul MaudDib posted:

Friendly reminder that if you sell over eBay your buyers have up to 6 months to change their minds regardless of your return policy.

The much more liberal policy is 30 days, PayPal's more fair and demands that things be "significantly different" than what you advertise.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Paul MaudDib posted:

I've sold several dozen GPUs on eBay and never once had anyone pull poo poo on me... obviously it can happen but somehow most people are decent, or more likely just too lazy for those shenanigans.

Edit: The worst I've had happen is if I put things up for bidding, as opposed to "buy it now, immediate payment required" I'll have people win and be like "oh sorry I can't actually afford it" which is like bitch your bid is legally binding. Ah well, cost of doing business, relist and move on if that happens, or just set buy it now with immediate Paypal and you avoid that.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jan 11, 2018

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

MaxxBot posted:

New 1070s selling for $700 :stare: I wonder how much crazier this can get. Some new 1080Tis are up to Titan Xp pricing :lol:

I suddenly feel a lot better taking the risk of buying a EVGA 1080Ti Hybrid off a guy on Craigslist for $775 the other day. Not only did I not get murder-raped, but it actually works perfectly! Can't overclock much past 2000Mhz core, but oh well.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Zero VGS posted:

I've sold several dozen GPUs on eBay and never once had anyone pull poo poo on me... obviously it can happen but somehow most people are decent, or more likely just too lazy for those shenanigans.

Edit: The worst I've had happen is if I put things up for bidding, as opposed to "buy it now, immediate payment required" I'll have people win and be like "oh sorry I can't actually afford it" which is like bitch your bid is legally binding. Ah well, cost of doing business, relist and move on if that happens, or just set buy it now with immediate Paypal and you avoid that.

Yeah I can see an attempt but im personally not worried after a few weeks. Basically after Paypal releases funds. That said im familiar with Paypal buyer protection but not with ebays.

I would be more paranoid with gpus but simple video of it working and a signed box would be almost impossible to contest.

GPU prices in the last 1-2 weeks are approaching nonsensical though

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
nvm

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

I guess to be fair this is a 1070ti but

I think normal is a stretch

edit: woops edit lol

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

I saw that video card prices have risen again. I have a computer with a 1080 Ti and another with a 1060.i have free electricity at my condo, is nice hash the way to go still for free burritos? I remember mining during the summer but stopped after a month when it crashed, it was nice to get free lunch of ot though, what’s the go to for someone who just wants USD or gift cards for food?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Rabid Snake posted:

I saw that video card prices have risen again. I have a computer with a 1080 Ti and another with a 1060.i have free electricity at my condo, is nice hash the way to go still for free burritos? I remember mining during the summer but stopped after a month when it crashed, it was nice to get free lunch of ot though, what’s the go to for someone who just wants USD or gift cards for food?

WinMiner lets you cash out for $20 Amazon gift cards which you can convert into burritos. You just sign up with an email address and set it to run, and when you hit $21 balance you can withdraw the $20 gift card, fill out all fake info except the email address if you don't want to give them anything else and it works fine. I've passed four hundo in my Amazon account balance.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Winminer is the easiest way to get USD, as it spits it out directly to PayPal or Amazon giftcards. It does take a substantial cut for this convenience, though. Their website has basic performance tracking and monitoring. They turned off accepting new users for a while, unsure what the current status is.

Nicehash pays more, but forces you to take your pay as BTC on an internal (read: insecure) wallet. With a 1080Ti you can probably sweep that out to Coinbase every few days, but that is also an internal wallet. Thankfully for those in the US, you can easily sell BTC on Coinbase for a nominal fee and have it deposited to your bank account. Their website has basic performance tracking and monitoring. They got "hacked" recently and had everyone's money stolen, so there's that.

MiningPoolHub pays on par with Nicehash, and effectively pays you out in whatever buttcoin you want, but again to an internal (read: insecure) wallet. You have to transfer it elsewhere (at a lower fee than many other places) if you want to sell it. Their website has minimal to no performance tracking or monitoring. Unlike the other two, you need to use a 3rd party tool (like AwesomeMiner) to actually do the mining, making it slightly more complex to get started with.

Other considerations: Nicehash's 2.x client does not respect any --intensity flags, so it will happily eat 100% of your resources when running, making your computer largely unresponsive. Winminer, MPH, and Nicehash 1.8.x do not do this, and are generally better choices if you want to still use your computer while mining, vs running a dedicated box.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

DrDork posted:

Winminer is the easiest way to get USD, as it spits it out directly to PayPal or Amazon giftcards. It does take a substantial cut for this convenience, though. Their website has basic performance tracking and monitoring. They turned off accepting new users for a while, unsure what the current status is.

i was able to sign up yesterday.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

DrDork posted:

Nicehash pays more, but forces you to take your pay as BTC on an internal (read: insecure) wallet. With a 1080Ti you can probably sweep that out to Coinbase every few days, but that is also an internal wallet. Thankfully for those in the US, you can easily sell BTC on Coinbase for a nominal fee and have it deposited to your bank account. Their website has basic performance tracking and monitoring. They got "hacked" recently and had everyone's money stolen, so there's that.

MiningPoolHub pays on par with Nicehash, and effectively pays you out in whatever buttcoin you want, but again to an internal (read: insecure) wallet. You have to transfer it elsewhere (at a lower fee than many other places) if you want to sell it. Their website has minimal to no performance tracking or monitoring. Unlike the other two, you need to use a 3rd party tool (like AwesomeMiner) to actually do the mining, making it slightly more complex to get started with.

Other considerations: Nicehash's 2.x client does not respect any --intensity flags, so it will happily eat 100% of your resources when running, making your computer largely unresponsive. Winminer, MPH, and Nicehash 1.8.x do not do this, and are generally better choices if you want to still use your computer while mining, vs running a dedicated box.

Thanks for the summary on how much I missed from this summer! I really appreciate it.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Came home to this:

what the gently caress is XVG and who is paying $14/day to mine it

e: must've been a bug of some kind, five minutes later it dropped to $2.4/day

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jan 11, 2018

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Apparently I had 0.01 left in my CoinBase account that I forgot about. It was like worth $15 so I forgot about it. Now its like ~$130? I might just use nicehash again

oh god am I getting suckered in?

Rabid Snake fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jan 11, 2018

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
With how so many companies have seen a stock bump just from putting the word "blockchain" in a press release, someone really should get Chipotle to introduce their own cryptocurrency so we can directly mine for burritos without having to go through all these middlemen.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

TheFluff posted:

Came home to this:

I'm half autistic so I stare at these windows for a while, it's not strange to see huge jumps in price that last for a short time. I'm guessing it's just someone getting excited about some project and "investing" in it. Over-bidding for mining time.

Rabid Snake posted:

Apparently I had 0.01 left in my CoinBase account that I forgot about. It was like worth $15 so I forgot about it. Now its like ~$130? I might just use nicehash again

oh god am I getting suckered in?

You can always send it to me if you don't want to wade into these horrible crypto waters. I promise I'll make good use of it (whores and alcohol)

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

TheFluff posted:

Came home to this:

Ryzen supremecy
Day 23.27511ETN $3.491 :smugdon:

e: your 1080 shouldn't be making < $4-5

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 11, 2018

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
Yeah, I’m making ~$30 with six 1070s. I know, I’m rolling in the poop, but hey, with the money I’ve already made I’m only risking a couple grand. *shrug*

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tehinternet posted:

Yeah, I’m making ~$30 with six 1070s. I know, I’m rolling in the poop, but hey, with the money I’ve already made I’m only risking a couple grand. *shrug*

those 1070s are currently worth 600 right now, sell em

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Risky Bisquick posted:

Ryzen supremecy
Day 23.27511ETN $3.491 :smugdon:

e: your 1080 shouldn't be making < $4-5

ya it's normally making that much, the XVG thing was some weird one-off

What kind of power are you using on that Ryzen? I get the impression that cryptonight is memory bound so maybe I should try overclocking that poo poo

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I have idle numbers at roughly 65w, load at 125w with 2 video cards at idle. Ryzen pays the bills :snoop:

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
do i need to turn off crossfire when mining? There is no way its helpful but does it have any effect at all or can i just leave it enabled in the amd drivers

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

tehinternet posted:

With miningpoolhub I'm doing $10.48 currently with 1 x 1070 and 1 x 970. You should be a ton higher with 6 x 1070

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Fauxtool posted:

do i need to turn off crossfire when mining? There is no way its helpful but does it have any effect at all or can i just leave it enabled in the amd drivers

As far as I am aware, current mining programs are too dumb to even be able to reliably figure out which card is which, let alone take advantage of anything like pooling resources or Crossfire/SLI. I doubt it has any effect whatsoever, but you can always benchmark them to find out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DrDork posted:

As far as I am aware, current mining programs are too dumb to even be able to reliably figure out which card is which, let alone take advantage of anything like pooling resources or Crossfire/SLI. I doubt it has any effect whatsoever, but you can always benchmark them to find out.

I thought as much, im getting the same hashrate on or off

• Locked thread