Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

This was expected. I’m ok with Bowles honestly. I don’t think he’s a bad coach and the organizational stability is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, I don't think there's really a problem with giving Bowles more time after what he was able to ring out of that roster.

Now the guy in charge of building that roster on the other hand...

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Gonna trust the guy who thought Christian Hackenberg was a good pick to draft the right guy this year. OK.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Diva Cupcake posted:

This was expected. I’m ok with Bowles honestly. I don’t think he’s a bad coach and the organizational stability is good.

He’s a bad coach. His teams are completely helpless on the road ntm being completely out of control when it comes to penalties. The entire game yesterday was pretty much the Jets giving away free first downs on peanlties. And that’s before we start on the 4th quarter gag jobs and moronic game management.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jan 1, 2018

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

mcmagic posted:

He’s a bad coach. His teams are completely helpless on the road ntm being completely out of control when it comes to penalties. The entire game yesterday was pretty much the Jets giving away free first downs on peanlties. And that’s before we start on the 4th quarter gag jobs and moronic game management.

I feel like you have an over-rosy view of how good other coaches are at those things. Most coaches are 'bad' at many aspects of football. He overachieved this year with that roster.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

tarbrush posted:

I feel like you have an over-rosy view of how good other coaches are at those things. Most coaches are 'bad' at many aspects of football. He overachieved this year with that roster.

If you watched the games, that just isn’t what happened no matter what it looks like from looking at the roster on paper.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE
I don't think Bowles was so bad that he should be fired at any rate this year especially in a league where Hue loving Jackson just got a vote of confidence. Maybe after next year if they don't improve, but the Jets seem to be on the way to respectability.

I know it's been said all the time in this topic but they gutted their roster like a fish. It seems like everyone has amnesia about how bad people thought the Jets would be.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

pasaluki posted:

I don't think Bowles was so bad that he should be fired at any rate this year especially in a league where Hue loving Jackson just got a vote of confidence. Maybe after next year if they don't improve, but the Jets seem to be on the way to respectability.

I know it's been said all the time in this topic but they gutted their roster like a fish. It seems like everyone has amnesia about how bad people thought the Jets would be.

If you watched the games it was very clear that the roster wasn’t nearly that bad though. The preseason predictions are the only metric by which Bowles did a good job. The reality is that they lost many games they should have won this season and as a Jet fan that doesn’t give me any confidence that Bowles is the right guy to give a better roster to next season. Ntm this regime’s history at the QB position.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

If you watched the games it was very clear that the roster wasn’t nearly that bad though. The preseason predictions are the only metric by which Bowles did a good job. The reality is that they lost many games they should have won this season and as a Jet fan that doesn’t give me any confidence that Bowles is the right guy to give a better roster to next season. Ntm this regime’s history at the QB position.

you can park a dumptruck full of cap space and money in kirk cousin's driveway to get a quarterback who is mediocre this offseason though!

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
No no no... Bowles definitely needs to go. I'm honestly SHOCKED he was even here for this one. To me, THIS season was the one to prove that this team could significantly improve. The fact that "Hey, we didn't go 0-16!" it's being cheered as an accomplishment, shows how low the bar has gotten for the Jets now. That is the worst standard to have, and that we are supposed to feeling great about "improvement" because we weren't blown out every game is pathetic.

Last season, the Jets were absolutely abominable. Half the roster didn't bother even TRYING, for at least 10 weeks out of the season. The only reason the Jets have a renewed effort is most of these guys are rookies, unsigned, practice squad, or old as poo poo. All of them are on the precipice of being totally out of the league, so they are fighting hard to get a spot on this roster. I appreciate and like the effort from the players, but I'm not giving Bowles ANY credit for that. This team could not give less of a poo poo last season. Even with this improved effort for this year, we easily phoned in 3 games.

I honestly cannot name ONE THING Bowles adds to this team. He can't manage the clock, he can't make half-time adjustments, his roster management is wretched, the defense which is his alleged specialty has been mediocre at best, awful play calling, awful challenges, blown almost every single 4th quarter of the season.... I don't get what this guy does. Herman Edward was a lousey head coach and Bowles comes off as a knock-off of Herm. We are not going to improve much beyond 6 wins next year, it's just another wasted year.

McAdoo was the only coach worse than Bowles to start this season, in my opinion.

I think McCagnan's drafting is probably about average, but he's been really good with trades and signing free agents. I think he's spent the Jets money pretty well, for the most part. I think he's over-performed when you consider what little the Jets have had to work with lately. I totally get that the QB drafting has not been obviously what we wanted, but I'm not furious about it. I think he does need to lean off so heavily going solely for the second round QB as much as he has, although I like the idea in principal. If you draft a few guys and if even ONE of them hits, he would look like a totally genius. We have too many holes for him to do it as often as he has, though.

I feel how Hackenberg has been managed has been truly wretched, and I'm not sure how to split the blame between Bowles and Cag. "Oh, he's not even NFL ready, so we're not going to play him." Ok, fine... but then why did you draft him? Wouldn't someone THAT deficient been more obvious to spot before you drafted him? So did you make a mistake drafting him, or did you think he was a long-term project you could build up? If that's the case... how come he's never played? Is he uncoachable, or are you too lousy yourself to coach him? Either way is a damnable admission. I don't understand what they are doing with him, and they don't either.

Dre2Dee2 fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jan 1, 2018

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Dre2Dee2 posted:

No no no... Bowles definitely needs to go. I'm honestly SHOCKED he was even here for this one. To me, THIS season was the one to prove that this team could significantly improve. The fact that "Hey, we didn't go 0-16!" it's being cheered as an accomplishment, shows how low the bar has gotten for the Jets now. That is the worst standard to have, and that we are supposed to feeling great about "improvement" because we weren't blown out every game is pathetic.

Last season, the Jets were absolutely abominable. Half the roster didn't bother even TRYING, for at least 10 weeks out of the season. The only reason the Jets have a renewed effort is most of these guys are rookies, unsigned, practice squad, or old as poo poo. All of them are on the precipice of being totally out of the league, so they are fighting hard to get a spot on this roster. I appreciate and like the effort from the players, but I'm not giving Bowles ANY credit for that. This team could not give less of a poo poo last season. Even with this improved effort for this year, we easily phoned in 3 games.

I honestly cannot name ONE THING Bowles adds to this team. He can't manage the clock, he can't make half-time adjustments, his roster management is wretched, the defense which is his alleged specialty has been mediocre at best, awful play calling, awful challenges, blown almost every single 4th quarter of the season.... I don't get what this guy does. Herman Edward was a lousey head coach and Bowles comes off as a knock-off of Herm. We are not going to improve much beyond 6 wins next year, it's just another wasted year.

McAdoo was the only coach worse than Bowles to start this season, in my opinion.

The people who are hanging their hat on Bowles' first season ignore the virtual playoff game he lost to a bad Bills team. He really inspires zero confidence. If the Jets vastly improve the roster in the offseason, which they probably will just in free agency, they will win more games but that really won't make me have any more faith in Bowles.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Bowles lost every game in the 4th quarter by such a huge margin either all the players are out of shape or he has no gameplan to close out

Penalties are out control, hes kicking players off of road trips cause they dont give a poo poo about showing up on time for him, idk what he adds to the team as a coach but strap in for 32 more games

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

Bowles lost every game in the 4th quarter by such a huge margin either all the players are out of shape or he has no gameplan to close out

Penalties are out control, hes kicking players off of road trips cause they dont give a poo poo about showing up on time for him, idk what he adds to the team as a coach but strap in for 32 more games

The only good thing about keeping Bowles is that maybe there are a better slate of candidates next year... These guys are all massively unimpressive to me.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
There are never any good coaches.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

tarbrush posted:

There are never any good coaches.

The evil hoodie disagrees.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Wrar posted:

Whoa dude just say Tomlin don’t be racist

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Wrar posted:

I meant in the available pool. There's like 10 genuinely good coaches in the NFL right now, none of whom are going to be switching jobs.

Not to say that the rest are bad, merely that they display some/all of the flaws that Bowles does.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

tarbrush posted:

I meant in the available pool. There's like 10 genuinely good coaches in the NFL right now, none of whom are going to be switching jobs.

Not to say that the rest are bad, merely that they display some/all of the flaws that Bowles does.

You have to take a chance on a promising coordinator rather than a previous head coach if you want a real shot at someone good enough they won't hit the market once they've proven themselves.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

evilweasel posted:

You have to take a chance on a promising coordinator rather than a previous head coach if you want a real shot at someone good enough they won't hit the market once they've proven themselves.

Counter point: Bill Belichick, Pete Carroll, Gary Kubiak.

The last 4 Super Bowls were won by coaches who were retreads.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

GaussianCopula posted:

I very much agree with a second chance HC than some hot coordinator name from a good team that you have no idea about.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

GaussianCopula posted:

True, but the other hand, Bill went back to being a coordinator for a while before getting his next HC job (which lasted a day lol). Carroll also had a long period between his previous HC job and getting his new one that he spent instead in college. Kubiak, true (not going to try to claim his one year as a coordinator between HC gigs mattered), but he also only lasted two years at the Broncos as HC and I don't know I would consider him a great coach for winning the super bowl with Manning basically coaching while throwing noodly passes.

I can believe that an unsuccessful HC gig in the past is helpful in knowing what you're getting into and not making rookie mistakes again. But usually they got fired for a reason, and you need there to have been some time for them to work on whatever that reason was. Sometimes it's just plain bad luck, bad players they had no say in, but often times its not.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

I very much agree with a second chance HC than some hot coordinator name from a good team that you have no idea about.

I mean obviously yeah, don't just grab some random guy because he's got the patriots logo on his back. But it's the job of NFL front offices to know about their opponents so I think if a team doesn't have good intel on what opposing coordinators have talent, they're a badly run team and should work on that.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

The last head coach the Jets hired who wasn't a "promising young coordinator" was Bill Parcells. Or Belichick if you want to be a dick.

They generally don't hire retreads and it obviously hasn't worked out all that well.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Yeah, the Jets have not had a breakout star coach come from almost 20 consecutive years of hiring first time HCs. The most successful one was Rex hahaha :stare:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Yeah, the Jets have not had a breakout star coach come from almost 20 consecutive years of hiring first time HCs. The most successful one was Rex hahaha :stare:

yeah, but they've also had a lot of stupid QB decisions in that same period of time, and breakout star coaches are not that common no matter what method you use to get them: even doing it right you're likely to whiff for a long time.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Chris Johnson says the Jets are gonna spend alot in FA? Bring me Bell, Ziggy and Baker.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

They're going to have $100m in cap space and not too many internal FA other than like ASJ and Demario Davis. Cousins and LeVeon Bell seem doable.

Go all 2011 Spartans on them.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Diva Cupcake posted:

They're going to have $100m in cap space and not too many internal FA other than like ASJ and Demario Davis. Cousins and LeVeon Bell seem doable.

Go all 2011 Spartans on them.

ASJ they can let walk. Good dude but he's not a difference maker. I also don't know if I buy that Davis is good all of a sudden now...

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah i dont like asj at all he doesnt catch what he should, not that he had great qbs this year but a lot of passes through his hands the team needed

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Bills...dang

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

https://www.metro.us/sports/new-york/dyer-jets-shouldnt-draft-quarterback#.WlZtmHYgw6Q.twitter

The worst Jets related take I have ever seen.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

turn on your moniter

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I mean I guess if Kirk Cousins said he always wanted to be a Jet that'd be a fun way to rebuild a team, and is probably the easiest path for Bowles / Macc to keep their jobs for awhile longer, but it's going to be hard to surround him with much better of a cast then he had in Washington, and without improving that, how far do you get?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Well the point is to improve upon that roster and the first step is to head into a season with an actual top 8-12ish starter instead of wondering how many QB benchings you'll go through in a given year.

They have ~$100m in cap space. Signing Kirk would be fine.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I'm ok with signing Cousins but the article is really really dumb. How do you call a team that won 5 games 2 years in a row a "win now team?"

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Real hurthling! posted:

turn on your moniter

:cheers:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

These patriot friendly flags are unending

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Jets trade to #3 pick overall?

Get hype for the sanchizining pt. II

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I forgot how many Rivals puns exist on fan boards. He also strategically used McClown and Bilgewater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000925310/article/adam-gase-dolphins-loss-to-bills-triggered-overhaul

Mbison YES!
Suck it alpha dogs

• Locked thread