Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

A Moose posted:

Has anybody tried the psychoid tea? I was thinking of letting my colonists have some, as long as they rotate through beer, ambrosia, tea and smokeleaf, that should keep them from getting addicted to any of them right?

Yeah i dont know the stats but its not very addictive. You will get a tolerance before addiction so you can back off before you get into trouble just watch for that flag to pop up. The drugs that give a random addiction are flake, go juice, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

A Moose posted:

Holy poo poo tornadoes are straight bullshit. Had one spawn in my base and destroy:
5 generators
2 colonists
every single EPOE workbench
2 component benches
10 hospital beds
4 batteries
a stockpile of components
1 refinery
1 communications thing
2 refrigerators

all in about 15 seconds. gently caress that poo poo im reloading.

Edit: Just got hit with another tornado. Do they even stop on their own, or do they have to go to the edge of the map? Also their paths seem... less than random.

Reminds me again of Banished. Oh, you have a lovely community set up with balanced farming and a diverse market with trade? Would be a shame if a tornado ripped through the center of town right before winter hits while all of your settlers are out getting groceries. :shepicide:

And I've had one tornado. It spun in a circle far from my base for a short time then dissipated.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

A Moose posted:

Has anybody tried the psychoid tea? I was thinking of letting my colonists have some, as long as they rotate through beer, ambrosia, tea and smokeleaf, that should keep them from getting addicted to any of them right?

According to the wiki, as long as you don't drink more than one pekoe tea every two days (every 1.33 days, to be precise) you'll never be addicted. Keep in mind that keeping drugs around is always dangerous though, since anyone who goes on a drug binge might slam down enough tea in a single binge to jump straight from zero tolerance to addicted in a single mental break.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

I've had this game for ages yet never make it past the first year.
There just seems to be this hang up where I will manually set priorities but they don't follow it all that well.

That and I don't know what to prioritize.
I make loads of food, fill a fridge, make medicine and decent defenses and then everyone dies to a loving squirrel.

Edit: I'll spend the time to make sure all my people don't have any tasks they cannot do but then will refuse to do things in game.

Squirrel attacks: The number one killer is the default cowardice setting all colonists have.

Make sure your colonist's behavior if they're a hunter/fighter of some kind is to fight back and not run away. Before I figured this out, I got really frustrated that my hunters would turn their back on something like a rat they just shot at with a machine gun, freak out that it turned on them and and try to run from it rather than just kill it in one hit. I mean, if you let anything at all just keep hitting you while you try to run from it, you're going to die unless its something slow like a mad tortoise alert, which I normally make preparations to handle the following day.

As for telling this guy to cut wood and this guy to build wood things and letting them work away, something as simple as that can fall apart because of some strange breakdown in the chain.

As a rule of thumb give each colonist a role in your head (this is the plants guy, this is the shooting guy, this is the builder, this is the doctor, the janitor) and only that. Its difficult early on when you only have a handful of colonists and everything to do, but stick with it. The doctor does not cook, the cook does not doctor. Even if your doctor can do both, if you tell him to do one thing while he has a higher priority task assigned, he'll just go over, do a single unit of work and go off and do something else like an ADHD kid.

Warmachine posted:

Reminds me again of Banished. Oh, you have a lovely community set up with balanced farming and a diverse market with trade? Would be a shame if a tornado ripped through the center of town right before winter hits while all of your settlers are out getting groceries. :shepicide:

And I've had one tornado. It spun in a circle far from my base for a short time then dissipated.
I like the idea of disasters that can wreck big colonies, but I'd rather they were maybe due to them being big colonies rather than just to spite them. Too much wealth attracts raiders, yes, but maybe too many armaments dissuades traders and tanks faction relations. Contagious diseases should be a constant problem in a massively populated settlement. Large scale herds should be attracting droves of dangerous predators etc. etc. gently caress a lazy eraser tool that moves across the board, thats like someones cat climbing across a chess board being considered a valid move.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Lol if you think tornadoes aren't completely in the spirit of Tynan's design philosophy for the last few years.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Lol if you think tornadoes aren't completely in the spirit of Tynan's design philosophy for the last few years.
They're being removed as a random event next version and are instead becoming a triggered effect from an item

Masked Pumpkin
May 10, 2008

Whatever it takes to keep the romance alive, I guess?

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

I've had this game for ages yet never make it past the first year.

Goon written guide coming at ya:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=813720217
This'll be your best starting point. I also watched some random let's plays. My tips, ordered by importance, would be to:
1. 10x10 rice grow zone, preferably in rich soil.
2. Make a walk in cooler nearby, freezing or below.
3.Individual bedrooms.
4. Wall in your base.

From here just explore what's available. You've got the starts of food security and enemy security.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Flesh Forge posted:

Tribal Essentials and Tribals Know Nothing, and consider turning your research speed way down via the scenario editor.

tribal essentials seems fun, but isn't updated for the current version, unless i'm missing something?

GodspeedSphere posted:

Goon written guide coming at ya:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=813720217
This'll be your best starting point. I also watched some random let's plays. My tips, ordered by importance, would be to:
1. 10x10 rice grow zone, preferably in rich soil.
2. Make a walk in cooler nearby, freezing or below.
3.Individual bedrooms.
4. Wall in your base.

From here just explore what's available. You've got the starts of food security and enemy security.
why rice, specifically?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Rice is the fastest to grow, so it gets you that initial rush of food quicker which is extremely important.

Once you've stabilized and need to expand, Corn is the most efficient in terms of units of food per time spent growing so you'll want to add a bunch of that later.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

The Shortest Path posted:

Rice is the fastest to grow, so it gets you that initial rush of food quicker which is extremely important.

Once you've stabilized and need to expand, Corn is the most efficient in terms of units of food per time spent growing so you'll want to add a bunch of that later.

ah i see! i always went with strawberries first because somebody told me to do it.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Strawberrys are good because you can eat them raw without a mood penalty, but as long as you've got wood and a stove, rice will work out better.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
If you don't have any fertile ground I'm pretty sure potatoes mature faster on 100% soil than rice does.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Pharnakes posted:

If you don't have any fertile ground I'm pretty sure potatoes mature faster on 100% soil than rice does.

They don't mature faster, but they still grow pretty quickly (~11 days for potatoes vs. ~6 days for rice). The advantage is potatoes produce twice as much food per plant, which means you spend less of your colonists' time to produce and harvest the food. I personally use rice for my first crop even if I don't have rich soil, just because the faster harvest gives less time for a disaster to ruin your crop (blight, heat wave, fire, etc).

After the first harvest though, if I have a slightly more stable food situation, I'll switch to potatoes if I don't have rich soil. I might do one more rice harvest though if I've gotten multiple new colonists.

If I'm on a desert map and the only growable soil is 70% fertility gravel though, it's potatoes and only potatoes right from the get-go. Rice is awful in low-fertility soil.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I usually do a mix of stuff. 10x10 rice will probably be way more food than you'd need before corn is ready, for example. I usually start with a larger Rice square, a medium potato, and then a smaller corn, and eventually migrate to a larger corn and a smaller rice as my food supply gets big enough. I keep smaller rice year round (despite the inefficiency) to help protect against blights or solar winters, since I can use rice to keep my larder topped off rather than risk running low and have a corn crop fail.

With blights being nerfed it's probably not as important anymore, but I think a mix still works best for me. Plus no one wants to eat the same thing every day, give your pawns variety.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
They'll survive on corn mash and nothing else and LIKE it!

The alternative is blessing Dagon with their presence.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

ShadowHawk posted:

They're being removed as a random event next version and are instead becoming a triggered effect from an item

Only because people complained. Just like blights. And infestations. And so on.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Only because people complained. Just like blights. And infestations. And so on.

Infestations are being removed?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

No, reworked.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Blights didn't fit very well, though I think they are too weak now.

I'm actually a little disappointed if infestations are nerfed. I usually don't do the deep mountain fortresses I see other people do though, but when they happen its kind of neat to have to solve a problem within a structure I built myself.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I like them too but I don't like that they instantly teleport on top of people because there's nothing you can do about that, I think they would be better if you had some warning.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Lockback posted:

I'm actually a little disappointed if infestations are nerfed. I usually don't do the deep mountain fortresses I see other people do though, but when they happen its kind of neat to have to solve a problem within a structure I built myself.
This is the kind of thing I like and I hope its the direction that reworking goes. Internal events are cool as hell and would be a great way to mix up the usual game of killing the orderly queue of enemies marching towards your base.

Like how about manhunter infestations bursting out of storage stacks of plant or food matter that haven't touched or walked over in say 10 days from a warning rather than just appearing in a room one day. That'd be a cool event that would be preventable and any resulting swarm would be in direct proportion to your hoarding hubris.
Weird heat loving fungus that creeps in through the airvents in winter that can only be killed with extreme heat.
Or something something rogue AI nanomachines and anything that uses power is out to kill you for a week so its back to campfires and passive coolers while dodging your own turrets and fighting through autodoors.
Just anything that isn't whack a mole, lemmings or a flat out dice roll that x,y,z get destroyed.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

botany posted:

tribal essentials seems fun, but isn't updated for the current version, unless i'm missing something?

Rimrue did the earlier version, now Rainbeau has picked it up.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Lockback posted:

I honestly prefer the old blights, at least people would deal with it without me micromanaging. The gardeners don't seem to auto-blight cut so I have to pause and hunt down all the little icons in the fields. Just blow it all up and let them replant on their own

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Azhais posted:

I honestly prefer the old blights, at least people would deal with it without me micromanaging. The gardeners don't seem to auto-blight cut so I have to pause and hunt down all the little icons in the fields. Just blow it all up and let them replant on their own

I still do that.

As soon as I get blight, i just harvest everything no matter how close to being finished it is and replant it.

I can't be bothered to micromanage it and if I don't deal with it right away, ill forget and lose it all anyway.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I thought blights were too easy to deal with, and then I missed one and lost 3 fields. Apparently pawns will harvest and then re plant before cutting, so you can have a blighted plant spread the blight to its neighbors, get cut, get replanted, and then the blight spreads right back to the new plant. You have to manually force pawns to cut every single blighted plant while mashing the pause button so that your guys don't go too far away after they cut a single plant and take off running to do literally anything else.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Don't try to micromanage it, or anything at all for that matter. Trying to micromanage this game is a nightmare. Just mark the cuts with the orders tab and set someone to priority 1 plant cutting for a minute. If you don't want to mark individual tiles just mark the whole field for cutting and replant it.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
You can queue a bunch of cut operations, turn off sowing for that grow area, tinker with gowing/plant cutting labors, restrict plant cutters to a temporary zone, etc

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie
I do 10x10 rice and then tell them not to sow it after it's all planted, harvest one I'll swap it out.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Thanks for the tips, folks.

When I do crops, I wall them off and exclude the roof. I suspected animals may gently caress up my crops. Am I wasting wood?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Inzombiac posted:

Thanks for the tips, folks.

When I do crops, I wall them off and exclude the roof. I suspected animals may gently caress up my crops. Am I wasting wood?

No, wild animals will gladly eat your crops. Building "fences" like that is fine, or just murdering everything that gets close to your colony. With colony manager I always make a "kill everything" zone that covers the fields so any animals that wander close get hunted immediately regardless of food levels

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Azhais posted:

No, wild animals will gladly eat your crops. Building "fences" like that is fine, or just murdering everything that gets close to your colony. With colony manager I always make a "kill everything" zone that covers the fields so any animals that wander close get hunted immediately regardless of food levels

I didn't know you could designate hunting zones.

This game rules.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Inzombiac posted:

I didn't know you could designate hunting zones.

This game rules.

That's a mod, "Colony Manager"

Lets you build a manager desk to have your pawns auto harvest trees and wild fruit and hunting jobs based on how much you have in your stockpiles

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Ah, I'm trying to run as vanilla as possible but that seems like something that should be baked in, given how micro this game can get.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Inzombiac posted:

Ah, I'm trying to run as vanilla as possible but that seems like something that should be baked in, given how micro this game can get.

I play with as many mods as possible :v:

There's also a mod that just gives you wooden fences. They have like 1 hp so completely worthless as walls, but keeps the boomrats out of the potatoes and looks better than a wooden wall doing it

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I tried to play vanilla again when A18 first came out, and I forget how I survived without half the stuff I have crammed in there.

I still miss those dropships :smith:

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
Apparently you can get infestations on large hills type maps? Is it just less likely compared to mountainous/impassable?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Rock Puncher posted:

Apparently you can get infestations on large hills type maps? Is it just less likely compared to mountainous/impassable?

You can get them anywhere you mine out with overhead mountain can't you?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
you can get an infestation on any square that:

1) has a roof type of 'overhead mountain'
2) is not freezing
3) is darker than 'bright light' (this basically means a sunlamp is nearby)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
Thanks guys, I am new at this game so news to me, the tutorials I read seemed to suggest that it was a binary decision rather than probability. Any tips for dealing with them? My colony population is small, like 7 people even though I'm nearing the end of the research tree, Randy hasn't been kindly about giving me new colonists this round.

I would like to get turrets to do the heavy lifting, but I'm not sure how close I can get without them attacking.