Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

PT6A posted:

If you took a billion dollars and divided it among the poorest 10% of Americans, it's a one-time gift of around $33/person. Granted, for a lot of those people, it might be the difference between going hungry and being able to feed their family for a few days, but it's still not going to fix the problem within society itself which allows for such staggering inequality. We need to invest in schools, infrastructure, welfare, healthcare, etc. and the money required to do that is beyond what any one person, even the richest of the rich, will likely ever have.

Hoping billionaires have an attack of conscience one by one is a losing strategy. Using a chunk of the fortunes of a few non-sociopathic billionaires to fund a political effort to introduce more progressive taxation and a universal basic income, has a chance of working. I mean, look at how well the Kochs and a bunch of other motherfuckers have been at convincing the Republicans to do their evil bidding.

I mean, it's fine if they give most of their money to organizations that support some good political cause(s). Maybe that's a better option than randomly giving it to poor people. But the key point is that, regardless, it is wrong for them to continue to retain ownership of the wealth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Ytlaya posted:

Even then there are issues relevant in the present like UHC where a lot of people who consider themselves liberals are actively opposed. Like, there has to be a conflict there if you actually care about accomplishing the goal in question. Your post seems to be implying that everyone on the American left agrees about all important contemporary issues, and that simply isn't true. A lot of people who consider themselves liberals even want to do stuff that would make things worse, like cut "entitlements."

Note that I didn't say everyone on the left was an ally; I said everyone who was genuinely on the left is at worst a confused ally.

Some people think they're on the left but they aren't actually left-wing; other people are left wing but are confused or misguided and thus at least potential allies (if you can get them un-confused, which I thought was obviously implied by the phrasing).

Said another way, some people want to cut entitlements because gently caress you, got mine; gently caress them, even if they claim to be "liberal." Some people want to cut entitlements because they are misguided and think that is the correct path to helping more people; those are potential converts if they can be educated.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Oh Snapple! posted:

"Space exploration on the part of a private, profit-driven entity is inherently evil" is probably the most accurate way to put it.

Elon Musk is to "space exploration" what a paddle boat rental owner is to the naval imperialism of gunboat diplomacy.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

PT6A posted:

If you took a billion dollars and divided it among the poorest 10% of Americans, it's a one-time gift of around $33/person. Granted, for a lot of those people, it might be the difference between going hungry and being able to feed their family for a few days, but it's still not going to fix the problem within society itself which allows for such staggering inequality. We need to invest in schools, infrastructure, welfare, healthcare, etc. and the money required to do that is beyond what any one person, even the richest of the rich, will likely ever have.

Hoping billionaires have an attack of conscience one by one is a losing strategy. Using a chunk of the fortunes of a few non-sociopathic billionaires to fund a political effort to introduce more progressive taxation and a universal basic income, has a chance of working. I mean, look at how well the Kochs and a bunch of other motherfuckers have been at convincing the Republicans to do their evil bidding.

While systematic spending on civil infrastructure is more important than direct consumer spending transfers, saying "actually the billionaires don't have that much money to possibly affect the poor" is an interesting hot take.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jan 10, 2018

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Ytlaya posted:

I mean, it's fine if they give most of their money to organizations that support some good political cause(s). Maybe that's a better option than randomly giving it to poor people. But the key point is that, regardless, it is wrong for them to continue to retain ownership of the wealth.

Yeah, I agree, I was making the point that divesting themselves of the wealth without consideration for what it will accomplish does nothing to "fix" the wrongness of having that much in the first place.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Note that I didn't say everyone on the left was an ally; I said everyone who was genuinely on the left is at worst a confused ally.

Some people think they're on the left but they aren't actually left-wing; other people are left wing but are confused or misguided and thus at least potential allies (if you can get them un-confused, which I thought was obviously implied by the phrasing).

Said another way, some people want to cut entitlements because gently caress you, got mine; gently caress them, even if they claim to be "liberal." Some people want to cut entitlements because they are misguided and think that is the correct path to helping more people; those are potential converts if they can be educated.

I mean, yeah, but at that point you're basically just doing a no true scotsman. It's basically saying "everyone on the left is an ally, where 'the left' is defined as 'allies.'" In reality a significant portion of people who consider themselves (and who are considered by broader American media and culture) to be on the left aren't allies.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

steinrokkan posted:

Saying "actually the billionaires don't have that much money" is an interesting hot take.

No single billionaire has that much money compared to the budget of a country, and most don't have anything approaching the actual budget of a large city. You can't tackle this problem one at a time by convincing billionaires to give away their fortunes. It will never work. Only progressive taxation can possibly ever fix the problem of wealth inequality.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Meanwhile, there were 10.8 million millionaires in the US when last reported. That's 10.8 million people that have at least a million dollars beyond their debts.

Also, 540 Billionaires.

That's 540 people that have made more money in this country than the entire lower 50% of the nations' population will make combined in their lifetime.

But yes, let's just not even consider taxing those fuckers to support social improvement programs because there isn't enough to literally make everybody equally rich or whatever.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jan 10, 2018

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

Ytlaya posted:

Even then there are issues relevant in the present like UHC where a lot of people who consider themselves liberals are actively opposed. Like, there has to be a conflict there if you actually care about accomplishing the goal in question. Your post seems to be implying that everyone on the American left agrees about all important contemporary issues, and that simply isn't true. A lot of people who consider themselves liberals even want to do stuff that would make things worse, like cut "entitlements."

Related to this, but I generally disagree with the "we should fight the right-wing now and worry about moving to the left later" attitude (not necessarily saying this is what your post is implying). It's especially goofy given that actively promoting and accomplishing good things is likely the only way to defeat the right. Like, how else would you defeat them politically? It's not like liberals hurling attacks at Republicans accomplishes anything. You have to actually accomplish positive things.

I actually agree in part with this post, in the sense that the left needs to figure out what it wants to do if and when it gets back into power. However, I do have two concerns:

Firstly, the Democrats, being the viable coalition of the left at the moment, but the losing one, are in the position of having to expand their coalition of voters if they want to succeed in future elections. That coalition isn’t going to look quite the same everywhere, but with the nationalization of politics, it’s as important as ever that Democrats represent a broad coalition and manage to fulfill an array of concerns. In other words, they’re not in a position to shed members. If members have to be shed, then they must be replaced with a greater number of voters found elsewhere. There’s an arithmetic here to find enough voters.

Secondly, I worry from the example of the Republicans, where they successfully energized their base from 2010 through 2016 and enforced an ideological purity around repealing the ACA and returning to the status quo ante. However, that ideological rigidity, which was so easy when the Republicans weren’t working on a bill, fell apart when it came time for the Congressional GOP to actually vote. I’m concerned about a shallow consensus forming around a Medicare For All program that won’t be able to command consensus from the caucus and doom it. If I had to choose, I’d rather just hear what everyone’s actual opinion now and hash it out to find something that’s generally agreeable, rather than trying to emulate Republicans and living their failures.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

PT6A posted:

No single billionaire has that much money compared to the budget of a country, and most don't have anything approaching the actual budget of a large city. You can't tackle this problem one at a time by convincing billionaires to give away their fortunes. It will never work. Only progressive taxation can possibly ever fix the problem of wealth inequality.

No one is suggesting that the solution is to convince billionaires to give their money away. They are simply pointing out that people who haven't are evil. Which also means that they can't be convinced to just give their money away.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

PT6A posted:

I don't think anybody sane expects to solve inequality by sitting down with people one at a time and asking them nicely, though. But they absolutely have enough money to completely change the social dynamics should it get redistributed, which is also why the same amount of money would be enough to change social dynamics as part of a national budget.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

joepinetree posted:

No one is suggesting that the solution is to convince billionaires to give their money away. They are simply pointing out that people who haven't are evil. Which also means that they can't be convinced to just give their money away.

I agree, hence:

PT6A posted:

...I was making the point that divesting themselves of the wealth without consideration for what it will accomplish does nothing to "fix" the wrongness of having that much in the first place.

Their obligations clearly go beyond giving a whole fuckton of their fortune away.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Ytlaya posted:

I mean, yeah, but at that point you're basically just doing a no true scotsman. It's basically saying "everyone on the left is an ally, where 'the left' is defined as 'allies.'" In reality a significant portion of people who consider themselves (and who are considered by broader American media and culture) to be on the left aren't allies.

That's stripping my argument of context though. I'd provided a definition of "the left" for purposes of that particular argument :

Anyone on the left-wing spectrum is at worst a confused ally. Either you have a herd instinct and care about your fellow human beings, or you don't.

I mean yes if I'd realized we were going to be parsing the statement to this level of detail I would have put in clauses like "[potential] ally" but I thought that was obvious from context. The basic point was that in the current political environment everyone who has a shred of human decency is a potential ally (because the people we're fighting against don't have that).

joepinetree posted:

That doesn't follow logically. Current billionaires are currently evil yes but it doesn't follow from that, that they are irredeemably evil and unconvertible/inconvincible. Conversions happen.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 10, 2018

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Talking about basically anything but like murderers or something in terms of "evil" in any sort of serious way is super dumb and dorky

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Ah, yes, the mythical kind, compassionate billionaire, we have to protect the system so when one is born thousand years from now, he won't be inconvenienced.

Even the most benign billionaires get warped by their wealth so as to become socially regressive and dangerous. Rowling's casual sliding towards right wing politics and acting as a willing figurehead in opposition to representatives of working class interests has already been discussed, and if she technically isn't a billionaire these days, it just means billion dollars is too much of an arbitrary threshold to define membership in the leisure class. Oprah, the other person from this thread, has also been ranting about taxes and being unfairly punished for being rich.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Talking about basically anything but like murderers or something in terms of "evil" in any sort of serious way is super dumb and dorky

#notallbillionaires

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

If it really bothers you, find/replace all uses of "evil" in this thread with "immoral" and nothing changes substantively.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

PT6A posted:

In fact if we made a habit of taking $1B from a random billionaire every few days so people could feed their families or whatever, and just kept doing that indefinitely it would pretty much solve the inequality problem.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Just read it as, like 'really bad and thoroughly horrible' then or whatever makes it nicer for you.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

steinrokkan posted:

Oprah, the other person from this thread, has also been ranting about taxes and being unfairly punished for being rich.

The only places I have seen this have been right wing loony sites. You have a better source for this?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Kilroy posted:

In fact if we made a habit of taking $1B from a random billionaire every few days so people could feed their families or whatever, and just kept doing that indefinitely it would pretty much solve the inequality problem.

Or we could just do it through increased and steeply progressive taxation, instead of some weird novel scheme, which is exactly what I've been suggesting all along.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

If it really bothers you, find/replace all uses of "evil" in this thread with "immoral" and nothing changes substantively.

I mean, it's not a forbidden word or anything, calling things evil as a quick shorthand is fine. But having an actual discussion on if oprah winfrey is "good" or "evil" is like a conversation a little kid would have.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The rich have started drinking pond scum for fun, taking their wealth would just be a mercy at this point.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I mean, it's not a forbidden word or anything, calling things evil as a quick shorthand is fine. But having an actual discussion on if oprah winfrey is "good" or "evil" is like a conversation a little kid would have.

Serious discussions about good and evil are for children

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

karthun posted:

The only places I have seen this have been right wing loony sites. You have a better source for this?

Apparently on a closer inspection it has been based on one interview where she complained about taxes making it too hard to pass money to other people, and her intent is not so clear in the broader context of the interview anyway, so I guess that is actually a poorly sourced story.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

PT6A posted:

Or we could just do it through increased and steeply progressive taxation, instead of some weird novel scheme, which is exactly what I've been suggesting all along.

He's not proposing a wealth redistribution scheme, he's using an example to illustrate wealth disparity, lol. When you hear something like "It would take two hundred people standing on each others' shoulders to reach the top of the WTC" is your response "This is unrealistic, why don't they just use a crane?"

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

The Kingfish posted:

Serious discussions about good and evil are for children

If you can have a discussion about a black woman born in the 1950s that was raped by family members until she got pregnant at 13 who then became one of the first black news anchors and then later became a billionaire via a tv show that sometimes supported pseudoscience and that discussion easily settles into anything as simple as "she's evil" in any serious way then yeah, that is really really dumb.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

became a billionaire... "she's evil"

I don't think that other stuff affects this pretty simple formula.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

If you can have a discussion about a black woman born in the 1950s that was raped by family members until she got pregnant at 13 who then became one of the first black news anchors and then later became a billionaire via a tv show that sometimes supported pseudoscience and that discussion easily settles into anything as simple as "she's evil" in any serious way then yeah, that is really really dumb.
Is your point here that evil is so mundane that it's boring to talk about any individual human being evil, or that people that hoard vast wealth they could never personally benefit from while billions suffer aren't evil, or what?

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Axis of evil is now Oprah, Nancy Pelosi, and the musical Hamilton. Thanks D&D.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Nevvy Z posted:

I don't think that other stuff affects this pretty simple formula.

Part of the issue is that the human brain has a really hard time wrapping itself around numbers as big as a billion; it's hard to conceptualize and understand just how much money that is.

https://www.forbes.com/special-report/2013/what-a-billion-dollars-buys-you.html

https://businesstech.co.za/news/wealth/81695/this-is-what-you-can-buy-with-bill-gates-fortune/

It's hard to even conceptualize how much money Oprah has; I'm not sure the human brain can really handle it.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Democrazy posted:

However, that ideological rigidity, which was so easy when the Republicans weren’t working on a bill, fell apart when it came time for the Congressional GOP to actually vote. I’m concerned about a shallow consensus forming around a Medicare For All program that won’t be able to command consensus from the caucus and doom it. If I had to choose, I’d rather just hear what everyone’s actual opinion now and hash it out to find something that’s generally agreeable, rather than trying to emulate Republicans and living their failures.

This is a bit disingenous, the reason their healthcare bill fell apart isn't because of ideological disagreements, it's because the bill had atrocius approval rates, barely in the double digits (17% I think).

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

yronic heroism posted:

Axis of evil is now Oprah, Nancy Pelosi, and the musical Hamilton. Thanks D&D.

Don't forget Cuphead

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The serious question is whether any of that matters. We already know that absolute evil can be banal, but can it be sympathetic?

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Part of the issue is that the human brain has a really hard time wrapping itself around numbers as big as a billion; it's hard to conceptualize and understand just how much money that is.

https://www.forbes.com/special-report/2013/what-a-billion-dollars-buys-you.html

https://businesstech.co.za/news/wealth/81695/this-is-what-you-can-buy-with-bill-gates-fortune/

It's hard to even conceptualize how much money Oprah has; I'm not sure the human brain can really handle it.

That's simultaneously scary but also kind of cool.
I think that the more you have, the more you want. I wonder how much money any one of us would give away if we suddenly found a way to make shittons of money.... What if we were slaving away in a lovely basement for years while eating instant noodles before hitting the billions?

Maybe the money and the power it gives you also corrupts you and turns you into a giant rear end in a top hat.
I'm sure most of Jeff Bezos's equals (in net worth) probably think he's awesome. The rich community is very tightly knit, most of them know eachother.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Im posting from the year 2020 and Cuphead has just clinched the Democratic nomination

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Flavahbeast posted:

Im posting from the year 2020 and Cuphead has just clinched the Democratic nomination

we’ve already got a 1930s throwback antisemitic cartoon in the white house though?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Kraftwerk posted:

That's simultaneously scary but also kind of cool.
I think that the more you have, the more you want. I wonder how much money any one of us would give away if we suddenly found a way to make shittons of money.... What if we were slaving away in a lovely basement for years while eating instant noodles before hitting the billions?

How much does it cost to cure people of their irrational fear of atoms? I'd invest in that and mincome experiments. Leftism is cool but the planet is cooler.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
I skipped to a small breaksown of other issues, beyond being a billionaire and thus incapable of representing the American people, etc, of why Oprah looks like she'd be god awful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFxgQN5fydc&t=561s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Dems, 2021: "Can you prove POTUS prospect Peter Thiel isn't harvesting infant bone marrow in his Youth Processing Plants to help the average American? Questioning things is very childlike, you know."

• Locked thread