Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!
It's a trade dispute because the Republic is a capitalist society. The Trade Federation is imposing and enforcing sanctions, which is exactly what the United States does as a legal first step in hostilities with another nation.

e: like in, say, WWII.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Here’s one thing stupid that’s been bugging me: why isn’t Luke using his ROTJ lightsaber when he confronts Kylo Ren on Crait? A: he hasn’t had any real attachment to his father blade for decades at this point, and B: why doesn’t it immediately tip Kylo off that something is wrong?. Anakin’a lightsaber is a major maguffin in TFA. Kylo Ren absolutely knows what it looks like. And at this point he’s seen it be destroyed first hand in Snoke’s throne room. I’ve yet to see any kind of satisfactory explanation for it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Kylo was mad and not thinking very straight.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

But even so, why does Luke project himself using it?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Fart City posted:

It was a subtle hint to the audience that he wasn't actually there since we all watched Reylo break it in two. The other hints are that Kylo and Luke never clash laserswords, Luke never disturbs the salt layer on the ground, Luke makes no sound when he appears, Lukes younger appearance, Leia's gaze when he kisses her forehead, Luke not dying when fired upon by the full might of the FO's ground forces...

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Fart City posted:

That was probably his most strongly held mental image of himself. Like, if you jacked him into the Matrix that's the figure that would appear within the simulation. I don't think he was actually at liberty to cause anything he imagined, or even any version of himself he could imagine, to appear at that distance.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Wheat Loaf posted:

I agree that TLJ doesn't really do anything that different so I'm still confused why people on the Internet complain that it's too different. :shrug:

It’s because Last Jedi is a point-for-point remake (or, uncharitably, rip-off) of Peter Watkins’ Les Gladiateurs (AKA The Peace Game) (1969, d.p. Peter Suschitzky of The Empire Strikes Back!).

This means a lot of things, but it mostly means that Star Wars 8 is, narratively, a Hunger Games film about an annual corporate-sponsored deathmatch between rival superpowers in an alternate-universe Cold War setting.

Lucas did include scenes of gladiatorial combat in his last four films (if we include the thematically linked ballet/opera of Episode 3) - but Last Jedi is where Star Wars has become fully ‘meta’ in the manner of Cabin In The Woods. The war itself is now a game. Johnson’s film features ‘self-awareness’ as an alternative to progression.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 10, 2018

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
I enjoyed the continued portrayal of Hux (and the obvious allusions to our own fascist media personalities) as a bumbling idiot, but with Snoke dead I'm at a loss for who the serious antagonist is now, since Kylo still comes off as a confused manchild who isn't even that good of a fighter and Phasma only ever pops up to have her poo poo wrecked.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Der Luftwaffle posted:

I enjoyed the continued portrayal of Hux (and the obvious allusions to our own fascist media personalities) as a bumbling idiot, but with Snoke dead I'm at a loss for who the serious antagonist is now, since Kylo still comes off as a confused manchild who isn't even that good of a fighter and Phasma only ever pops up to have her poo poo wrecked.

I wouldn't be surprised if EP9 straight up begins with Kylo force choking Hux for the last time after the opening text crawl.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

General Dog posted:

The movie doesn't deviate from the formula so much as it hangs a lantern on the formula. Both Luke and Kylo Ren make it clear how tired they are of all these Star Wars, but the movie is explicitly about everyone's realization and acceptance that this cycle (Empire and Rebellion, Dark side and Light) will never end. I wonder if that might be what's leaving a bad taste in people's mouth, that the movie's (well-argued) artistic statement is that the whole endeavor of these sequels is bankrupt.

I've been saying this from the beginning, and it's my favorite thing about the movie, but it doesn't go nearly far enough with it. Because it can't.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Papercut posted:

I haven't seen TFA since the one time in the theater, so it's all fuzzy to me. But I definitely left that movie with a much better impression than I did TLJ. Maybe it was because TFA left all this potential for the story/characters open, and TLJ's attempt to expand on that landed with a thud for me.

Because "This one was kind of bad but they had to make it safe to prove that they won't be the prequels".

Fart City posted:

Here’s one thing stupid that’s been bugging me: why isn’t Luke using his ROTJ lightsaber when he confronts Kylo Ren on Crait? A: he hasn’t had any real attachment to his father blade for decades at this point, and B: why doesn’t it immediately tip Kylo off that something is wrong?. Anakin’a lightsaber is a major maguffin in TFA. Kylo Ren absolutely knows what it looks like. And at this point he’s seen it be destroyed first hand in Snoke’s throne room. I’ve yet to see any kind of satisfactory explanation for it.

To make the audience feel smart for noticing it before Kylo did. That's it.

(Ferrinus' point is, of course, both nonsensical and not backed up at all by the films.)

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Baseless speculation:

The Knights of Ren will be antagonistic to both Kylo in his new position and Rey in hers. Wraps up a loose end and gives us lots of lazer swordsmanship on screen.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

homullus posted:

Baseless speculation:

The Knights of Ren will be antagonistic to both Kylo in his new position and Rey in hers. Wraps up a loose end and gives us lots of lazer swordsmanship on screen.

Weren't those red guards in throne room the Knights of Ren? I just assumed because they all had different non-lightsaber weapons like the dudes standing around Ren in that TFA flashback.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It’s because Last Jedi is a point-for-point remake (or, uncharitably, rip-off) of Peter Watkins’ Les Gladiateurs (AKA The Peace Game) (1969, d.p. Peter Suschitzky of The Empire Strikes Back!).

This means a lot of things, but it mostly means that Star Wars 8 is, narratively, a Hunger Games film about an annual corporate-sponsored deathmatch between rival superpowers in an alternate-universe Cold War setting.

Lucas did include scenes of gladiatorial combat in his last four films (if we include the thematically linked ballet/opera of Episode 3) - but Last Jedi is where Star Wars has become fully ‘meta’ in the manner of Cabin In The Woods. The war itself is now a game. Johnson’s film features ‘self-awareness’ as an alternative to progression.

You didn't give in and watch it did you, Senpai?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fart City posted:

"Kylo saw it destroyed first hand" is an assumption considering what we saw. Kylo was knocked the gently caress out and Rey stole the pieces and took off, before Ren woke up in a panic. For all he knows the damage wasn't as bad as he thought from a half-second glimpse before he got taken out. Luke was specifically projecting an image designed to agitate Kylo Ren as much as possible because his entire point was to take advantage of Kylo Ren's anger to delay for time so using the lightsaber Ren cares about makes more sense.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

You didn't give in and watch it did you, Senpai?

Of course not - I watched Les Gladiateurs instead!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Corrosion posted:

The stupid question about "Why a trade dispute?" ignores that the central villain is a guy who comes from Naboo, so where else would it be? The whole fall of the republic having seemingly humble origins just flies right over people's heads.

Ah, yes, the humble Senator coercing an outside force to hold his district hostage, ensuring his constituents die from preventable causes. Very humble. And the outside forces reluctantly attacking, the ensuing battle in which his constituents directly died. So humble.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Fart City posted:

Because Luke's green lightsabre had been destroyed years prior and as far as he knew the blue one still existed? I dunno, I just thought of that and it kind of works.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Der Luftwaffle posted:

The Last Jedi is Kylo Ren's coming of age movie. He started out a boy, now he's a man. Failure is the greatest teacher.

He's reaffirmed his faith in totalitarianism and put himself in position to pursue it on his terms.

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Ah, yes, the humble Senator coercing an outside force to hold his district hostage, ensuring his constituents die from preventable causes. Very humble. And the outside forces reluctantly attacking, the ensuing battle in which his constituents directly died. So humble.

You're being pretty stupid if you don't know why "seemingly" is in front of humble.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Of course not - I watched Les Gladiateurs instead!

Not a bad trade.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

ImpAtom posted:

"Kylo saw it destroyed first hand" is an assumption considering what we saw. Kylo was knocked the gently caress out and Rey stole the pieces and took off, before Ren woke up in a panic. For all he knows the damage wasn't as bad as he thought from a half-second glimpse before he got taken out. Luke was specifically projecting an image designed to agitate Kylo Ren as much as possible because his entire point was to take advantage of Kylo Ren's anger to delay for time so using the lightsaber Ren cares about makes more sense.

Weird that Luke doesn't know anything about Kylo's obsession with the saber and that Rey never mentioned it.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Corrosion posted:

You're being pretty stupid if you don't know why "seemingly" is in front of humble.

No, it is the word humble.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Milky Moor posted:

Weird that Luke doesn't know anything about Kylo's obsession with the saber and that Rey never mentioned it.

He cut himself off from the force.

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

Corky Romanovsky posted:

No, it is the word humble.

So you're fine with being openly disingenuous. Cool.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Palpatine is a character who manifestly rejects psychological depth. He is neither humble nor proud---he willfully destroyed the person he was born as and long ago became Evil Incarnate. What he experiences is lust for power and joy in exercising it.

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

Palpatine is a character who manifestly rejects psychological depth. He is neither humble nor proud---he willfully destroyed the person he was born as and long ago became Evil Incarnate. What he experiences is lust for power and joy in exercising it.

I'm not talking about Palpatine's psychology, I'm talking about the nature of the dispute that unravels the Republic. Specifically in reaction to the film essay that not only says the politics of the Phantom Menace are hard to understand or confusing, but that they're dumb as a topic on the whole. The idea is that to (not mis)read what happens in The Phantom Menace is to understand that there's nothing "humble" about what's happening save for the insufficient or perplexed reactions characters give to the events of the film. Like, banal ignorance. When the characters of the movie head to the Outer Rim planet, Tatooine, Padme asks why the "Republic Anti-Slavery Laws" haven't protected a place and people who are literally outside of the Republic. The Republic is to be criticized in the movie, but what the meme essay does is just state this movie is dumb.

Meanwhile, The Last Jedi has all these puff pieces from like, I dunno Huff Post or Kotak talking about "Adding nuance to the Force."

Corrosion fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jan 11, 2018

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

Der Luftwaffle posted:

Jar Jar is Rey's father, and she confronts him in Episode 9, part 3.

It explains everything, including their respective uncanny abilities to succeed without really working or trying. Plus continue to echo the original series and bring the audience into the SW world (i.e., we didn't hate Jar Jar because he was a racist caricature. We hated him because we 'sensed' the dark side in him)

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

gaj70 posted:

That isn't brought up until Part 3, Subsection E, so we are going to be waiting awhile.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

gaj70 posted:

It explains everything, including their respective uncanny abilities to succeed without really working or trying. Plus continue to echo the original series and bring the audience into the SW world (i.e., we didn't hate Jar Jar because he was a racist caricature. We hated him because we 'sensed' the dark side in him)

Jar Jar will never return because his toys don’t sell.

The Millenium Falcon will be revealed to be Rey’s Father.

Rey will almost turn but then Kylo will say “What a piece of junk!” And then Rey will ignite her triple saber and say “it may not look like much on the outside...” and then Kylo says “I’ve got a bad feeling about this” and then they gently caress.

TildeATH fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jan 11, 2018

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Not a bad trade.

Pictured: the black-clad communist hero of the film.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
... please explain to me in detail on how TLJ is a remake of this obscure peter watkins film.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

TildeATH posted:

Jar Jar will never return because his toys dont sell.

The Millenium Falcon will be revealed to be Reys Father.

Rey will almost turn but then Kylo will say What a piece of junk! And then Rey will ignite her triple saber and say it may not look like much on the outside... and then Kylo says Ive got a bad feeling about this and then they gently caress.

lol

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Corrosion posted:

So you're fine with being openly disingenuous. Cool.

"I'm not disingenuous! I'm not disingenuous!" I continue to insist as I shrink and transform into a kyber crystal.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
the kessel run falcon lego set is insanely dope

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

CountFosco posted:

... please explain to me in detail on how TLJ is a remake of this obscure peter watkins film.

Believe it or not, it's one of the LESS obscure Watkins movies.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

General Dog posted:

So are there people who actually like TFA more than TLJ, and if so why?

Yes, me. TFA aimed to be good, and succeeded. TLJ aimed to be great, and failed.

Don't get me wrong, I liked TLJ, but it just didn't do what it needed to do.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

Captain von Trapp posted:

Yes, me. TFA aimed to be good, and succeeded. TLJ aimed to be great, and failed.

Don't get me wrong, I liked TLJ, but it just didn't do what it needed to do.

Kathleen Kennedy will be sentenced to Tartarus in the afterlife, where the Olympians will sentence her to forever attempt to create a Star Wars sequel which would satisfy every fan.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
So would Jar Jar look like Boss Nass now or is that not how Gungans work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Shanty posted:

So would Jar Jar look like Boss Nass now or is that not how Gungans work?

Gungans live for about 60 years. Jar-Jar's been dead for decades.

• Locked thread