Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I like that total war warhammer has been a test bed for ideas for the historical series.

poo poo I hope will be carried over.

Heroes (warhammer)
Food system (skaven warhammer)
Political partys (rome 2)
Loyalty (skaven and dark elf warhammer and rome2)
Turns being seasonal

I would loving love to see someone raid your farm province, gently caress over your storages, cause a dip in loyalty in your armies, and having one rebel against you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
I suspect the people who bitch about this will bitch about it because it's not the "real" 3 kingdoms period, which features the invention of the wheelbarrow.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

They using Warhammer's engine for the new 3 Kingdoms release or something else?

I'm not sure. They're using a branch of the Attila engine for ToB.

Stephen9001 posted:

I suspect the people who bitch about this will bitch about it because it's not the "real" 3 kingdoms period, which features the invention of the wheelbarrow.

I'm predicting 9000 angry Chinese downvotes on release because of a localization error in the description of a tier 5 agriculture building.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Also do they have some third team that made this or something?

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Stephen9001 posted:

That's a research line.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

now im kinda tempted to get a dynasty warriors game to relive playing dw3 on my cousin's ps2

They got more polished as the series got older, it's kind of a shame. There's unlockable costumes and weird cutscenes now, they're goofy like a lot of modern Japanese games are but the magic of '00s localization is gone.

I played DW3 with a buddy in his basement and we owned the Yellow Turbans so many times, it rocked

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Third World Reggin posted:

Also do they have some third team that made this or something?

yeah they expanded a lot.

Stephen9001 posted:

I'm getting mediocre post deja vu

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

"Hmmm. We remembered to have voice actors redo all the placeholder voices recorded by the coders, right?"

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Turns out that Cao Cao was plagued by an inability to pronounce his own name.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

If you don't know three kingdoms this is what you need to know

Liu Bei, the good guy, spikes his own child on the floor.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Mantis42 posted:

Turns out that Cao Cao was plagued by an inability to pronounce his own name.

The localization crew for dw3 somehow managed to do everything wrong while still coming out with a functional product. Cow cow is the call of a bygone era.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

They got more polished as the series got older, it's kind of a shame. There's unlockable costumes and weird cutscenes now, they're goofy like a lot of modern Japanese games are but the magic of '00s localization is gone.

I played DW3 with a buddy in his basement and we owned the Yellow Turbans so many times, it rocked

The dubbing for samurai warriors 1 and xl was so good compared to the sequels.

"BEHOLD! The castle that was built in one day! What genius could have done this, you say? It's the Hideyoshi, Hideyoshi we praise. He built the castle in just one day, wheee! "

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jan 11, 2018

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

StarMinstrel posted:

I want heroes to be super units that activate a kill counter over their head and rake up thousands of kills, giving you a score from D- to S+ at the end of the battle.

Never-gonna-happen dream feature: Going into unit view on your hero lets you run around Dynasty Warriors-ing enemy units in much the same way as unit view on siege lets you manually aim and fire.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I don't want to find it right now but there's like a 300 hour TV series (at least it seemed like 300 hours) on YouTube that covers Romance of the Three Kingdoms from the story/fictional perspective. It has some war scenes, too, but it's mostly drama.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Do they expect anyone to buy the mini Attila new game they're going to release after showing off this incredible teaser? :iiam:

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Mans posted:

Do they expect anyone to buy the mini Attila new game they're going to release after showing off this incredible teaser? :iiam:

honestly i wasnt gonna buy it just because im sick of viking poo poo buy this point

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Stay Safe posted:

I don't want to find it right now but there's like a 300 hour TV series (at least it seemed like 300 hours) on YouTube that covers Romance of the Three Kingdoms from the story/fictional perspective. It has some war scenes, too, but it's mostly drama.

Three kingdoms is 95 episodes, it’s what I linked to earlier. You can find them all on YouTube if you search”three kingdoms English 1080p”

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I get the sense the Viking thing is a way to appease the Euro players for a bit, because the next 3 years or so otherwise is just gonna be China.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Well they have been releasing games at a rather rabid pace so who knows how long until they move on to whatever is next.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Yea they probably have more Saga games coming too.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Dartonus posted:

Never-gonna-happen dream feature: Going into unit view on your hero lets you run around Dynasty Warriors-ing enemy units in much the same way as unit view on siege lets you manually aim and fire.

There's already a unit-lock cam, or did you mean 'a full featured third person melee combat game'?

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

^yup, full control and aiming is what we want

Has total war done capturing enemy generals lately?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Ammanas posted:

There's already a unit-lock cam, or did you mean 'a full featured third person melee combat game'?

He means it becoming a completely different genre.

Like Urban Legend!

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Oh man I just realized maybe the chinese translation won't be rear end this time, Warhammer was pretty terrible localization-wise from what I've seen.

Of course if the voice acting is as hammy as in S2 I might just keep it in English. The battle announcer's voice is burned into my brain at this point, he is by far the best one in the series.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Don Gato posted:

Oh man I just realized maybe the chinese translation won't be rear end this time, Warhammer was pretty terrible localization-wise from what I've seen.

Huh what.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

There was a game that was recently massively review bombed on steam because there was a typo or mistranslation in the text on part of its Chinese boxed retail package.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

chinese gamers tend to flip the gently caress out over localisation

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

It really is a good part of cultural exchange where we hurt chinese feelings by acknowledging things that exist or we write a wrong character and the chinese send us lovely english games that may not feature advance things like word wrap.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

An excerpt from Kerbal Space Program's reviews, on the day when it had a 57% rating instead of the normal 96%, dealing with a controversy over a quote on the side of a spacecraft found only in the background of the main menu:

quote:

Follow the google translate : https://translate.google.com.hk/?gws_rd=cr,ssl#zh-CN/en/%E5%A5%BD%E6%B1%89
"好汉" means hero。不到长城非好汉 means : One who fails to reach the Great Wall is not a hero。 不到mum非好汉,means One who fails to reach the Mum is not a hero。

Now someone misinterpret the meaning of the word, vexatious, offended the majority of Chinese players.

we found the One who propose change “不到mum非好汉“ to “不到mum决不罢休” (username lllxclllxcl) said like this

"中国男人是世界上最该被毁灭的物种”
Chinese men are the most destructive species in the world

“只跟鲜肉生孩子,劣质男胚胎都人道毁灭,剩下一部分精英个体维持物种延续就行了,我是认真的。”
The bad male embryos are all destroyed by humanity, leaving some elite individuals to keep the species alive. I'm serious.

“中国男人都是基因劣质的矮丑奸,文化低劣,压迫女性,可谓是硬件寒蝉软件烂”
Chinese men are poor quality of the dwarf♥♥♥♥♥♥ poor culture, oppression of women, can be described as hardware chilling software rotten

“过河拆桥,阴险毒辣,这就是中国男人最本质的面目”
This is the sinister and ruthless, burn the bridge after crossing it, the essence of Chinese man's face

“所以他村男要绝后啊,劣质的基因注定要被淘汰”
So he died to the village of male ah, inferior genes are destined to be eliminated

https://daocaorenblog.wordpress.com...85%AC%E7%A4%BA/
http://zhihu.com/question/66316838/answer/242889999

We oppose the compromise with the Nazis.

So I decided to give a negative comment to let the official attention to this information. I will not change it until I see “不到mum非好汉“ in the game.

Originally it was a pun of some sort referencing a Chinese proverb. The developers changed it to not be referencing a Chinese proverb when someone complained to them about it, which made other people Very Angry.

In english the text says "mun or bust."

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

They using Warhammer's engine for the new 3 Kingdoms release or something else?

Warhammer 2 looks and runs great so bummer if they change it.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Arglebargle III posted:

Warhammer 2 looks and runs great so bummer if they change it.

I really expected the game to run infinitely better with my 970GTX, 16gb of ram, and i7 3770k but it still runs mostly rear end and I have no idea why.
Is my GPU a bottleneck now? I just upgraded my ram and cpu from 8gb and an i5 but I've had the card for about 3 years now.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Deakul posted:

I really expected the game to run infinitely better with my 970GTX, 16gb of ram, and i7 3770k but it still runs mostly rear end and I have no idea why.
Is my GPU a bottleneck now? I just upgraded my ram and cpu from 8gb and an i5 but I've had the card for about 3 years now.

You just upgraded to a five year old CPU?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

turn off the TV posted:

You just upgraded to a five year old CPU?

:shrug: Every review I saw said it's still insanely good to this day.
I've got huge performance boosts across the board, Total Warhams2 is pretty much the outlier for me.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Mans posted:

Depends on when they show gameplay for TK. If they gave TK Warhammer-style improvements and show it off before Brittania, then yeah gently caress playing something running on Attila's framework even if they claim it's improved.

Don Gato posted:

Of course if the voice acting is as hammy as in S2 I might just keep it in English. The battle announcer's voice is burned into my brain at this point, he is by far the best one in the series.

It's that or the cracked-voice teenager in Rome I for me.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Deakul posted:

:shrug: Every review I saw said it's still insanely good to this day.
I've got huge performance boosts across the board, Total Warhams2 is pretty much the outlier for me.

If you're playing on ultra unit sizes then your CPU really matters. I think the way to tell if you are CPU bottlenecked in game is if you can kind of pan around smoothly but all the units look like they're stuttering during combat. I think it's because your CPU can't keep up with all the HP and hit calculations for each individual model during combat.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

From the sounds of it over clocking a 3770k can net some pretty solid performance in Warhammer. My 4670k is at 4.5 and can handle battles without making GBS threads itself too badly. From the benchmarks I've seen a 970 will struggle to get over 45 FPS in WH1.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
While I'm being hyperbolic for comedy reasons, what I saw of warhammer localization seemed serviceable but not especially good.

This however is funny as poo poo and why chinese internet is an absolute treasure. You have hurt the feelings of the Chinese people.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

turn off the TV posted:

From the sounds of it over clocking a 3770k can net some pretty solid performance in Warhammer. My 4670k is at 4.5 and can handle battles without making GBS threads itself too badly. From the benchmarks I've seen a 970 will struggle to get over 45 FPS in WH1.

I'm using a i5 3570k ( at 3.40.. ) and a 970 and I run both WH1 and WH2 at a 60 fps with light dips into mid 50s.

I literally just went to double check after this post because I knew my game was smoother then that. WH1 is smooth 60 during my turn, no dips. During AI turn it sits around 30. I started as Bretonnia in both games so I could do a quick 20 v 20 battle at Grunt Zint and in both battles my fps never dropped below 55.

In WH2 at launch my game ran like rear end on the campaign map ( guessing 30 tops ), but would hop back up to 50-60ish during battles. Now that I installed the latest drivers it's also a smooth 60.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

turn off the TV posted:

Yeah, the max FPS I can ever squeeze out is about 45/50 FPS with settings mostly high except for AA and texture filtering.

I'm mostly alright with it running like that but it just made me a little upset that I splooged on what I thought would be an amazing CPU only for it still not run Warhams that great.
I'm still working with a budget PC build, I have a tiny case and tiny motherboard that barely support what I have in it as it is... definitely see another big overhaul in my future.

I'm too chicken poo poo to even attempt overclocking anything but if it really would net a significant performance gain then maybe...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

my 970 is holding me back but lol a 1070 ti is $850 canadian and gently caress spending like nearly a grand on a video card.