Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Yeah the chargers are off season afc west Champs atm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Not if we lose Bradley

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
As long as Bob Sutton is the Chiefs DC the division will be up for grabs, doesn't matter if Mahomes is Aaron Rodgers 2.0

Why is Bob Sutton still employed?

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

SHOAH NUFF posted:

As long as Bob Sutton is the Chiefs DC the division will be up for grabs, doesn't matter if Mahomes is Aaron Rodgers 2.0

Why is Bob Sutton still employed?
I'm honestly at a loss of words as to why. Dumbest Defensive Coordinator I've seen since Greg Robinson.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
The common bond I have with Chiefs fans is our hatred of Greg Robinson

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

LiquidFriend posted:

I'm honestly at a loss of words as to why. Dumbest Defensive Coordinator I've seen since Greg Robinson.

Now now I wouldn't compare him to Robins...only playoff win is in Texas...

Hmm.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Bob Sutton drops Houston back in coverage.

Bob Sutton is the only man who can neutralize Justin Houston.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/950927900131446785

:toot:

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

LiquidFriend posted:

Might also have to do with the fact that your whole coaching staff on the offensive side of the ball is getting turned over, with Nagy getting hired and Childress retiring. that's a lot of people leaving and then you have to go looking for a new DC?

I mean, Sutton sucks and has been bad for a while but I get wanting to keep the dude on in those circumstances.

Fuckin' A. That's fantastic news.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Durandal1707 posted:

Might also have to do with the fact that your whole coaching staff on the offensive side of the ball is getting turned over, with Nagy getting hired and Childress retiring. that's a lot of people leaving and then you have to go looking for a new DC?

I mean, Sutton sucks and has been bad for a while but I get wanting to keep the dude on in those circumstances.
If you're making drastic changes, might as well rip the whole loving band-aid off.

It's whatever because they aren't going to be a contender next year regardless, but still not much reason to keep a guy that owns 2 of the biggest playoff chokes of all time.

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22018210/gus-bradley-ken-whisenhunt-remain-los-angeles-chargers

Whisenhunt is sticking around too.

I cooled off to wanting him gone this season since most of the offensive problems of 2016 and early 2017 were fixed.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

aperion posted:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22018210/gus-bradley-ken-whisenhunt-remain-los-angeles-chargers

Whisenhunt is sticking around too.

I cooled off to wanting him gone this season since most of the offensive problems of 2016 and early 2017 were fixed.

I'm okay with this.

Let Rivers call more at the line and work on run blocking

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

LiquidFriend posted:

If you're making drastic changes, might as well rip the whole loving band-aid off.

It's whatever because they aren't going to be a contender next year regardless, but still not much reason to keep a guy that owns 2 of the biggest playoff chokes of all time.

That's fair.

I wanted Whis gone earlier this year too but him and Lynn did some very solid adjustments to the offense over the course of the year and a lot of the communication issues that were plaguing them seemed to be largely ironed out by the end of it. I'm very glad Gus is back, more bearish on Whis but I don't think they're going to do much better at this point. So gently caress it.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer

Durandal1707 posted:

That's fair.

I wanted Whis gone earlier this year too but him and Lynn did some very solid adjustments to the offense over the course of the year and a lot of the communication issues that were plaguing them seemed to be largely ironed out by the end of it. I'm very glad Gus is back, more bearish on Whis but I don't think they're going to do much better at this point. So gently caress it.

Bradley and Whis also won't get a better job elsewhere. The Seahawks didn't appear ready to dump their DC, so Bradley would've had to take a demotion with a bullshit 'assistant DC' title attached to it, along with a partial rebuild to contend with. The Packers FO is poo poo, same with their defense right now, and I doubt Bradley would've liked a bigger rebuilding project like they have to do on defense. As for every other team with DC vacancies, they also have HC vacancies, and why go to another team just for a sidegrade job? That makes sticking with the Chargers not a hard choice all in all. As for Whisenhunt, I didn't hear about any inquiries, but again, even if he had any, it's not for a HC position. Not this soon after his disastrous stint with the Titans.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
Exactly.

The Chargers have a lot of young defensive talent that's either about to enter their primes or are hitting it right now, and so from a talent perspective there's not a lot of places better off than them currently. They have some holes as we've gone over, but they're also very close to becoming one of the most consistently stifling units in the league, which is far better than what most of us Charger fans have been able to say for years. It's a good situation to be in for the coaching staff.

I do think they need to do something to keep Ron Milius around - he's our DB coach and did extremely impressive work with the backfield last year. Casey Heyward is one of the best CBs in football and Trevor Williams went from being undrafted to a legit starting caliber corner. Dez King really flashed a bunch as a nickle as well.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Looking back on it, one thing that sticks out from Grudens press conference was that he said Olson would be "good intel" for him. I didn't like the Olson hire because I hated his playcalling. With Gruden calling the plays, I don't care about that. But by calling him good intel, it makes it obvious Gruden is planning on utilizing Olson by picking his brain to get an understanding of the players in the offense. That suddenly makes Olson look like a great hire. Tell ya what, hiring coaches just for intel? That's called thinkin ahead, man. :mad:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Durandal1707 posted:

Exactly.

The Chargers have a lot of young defensive talent that's either about to enter their primes or are hitting it right now, and so from a talent perspective there's not a lot of places better off than them currently. They have some holes as we've gone over, but they're also very close to becoming one of the most consistently stifling units in the league, which is far better than what most of us Charger fans have been able to say for years. It's a good situation to be in for the coaching staff.

I do think they need to do something to keep Ron Milius around - he's our DB coach and did extremely impressive work with the backfield last year. Casey Heyward is one of the best CBs in football and Trevor Williams went from being undrafted to a legit starting caliber corner. Dez King really flashed a bunch as a nickle as well.

This was a top 5 defense last year WITHOUT Verrett and Perryman for most of the year

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer
lmao

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22025422/los-angeles-chargers-sign-roberto-aguayo

solution to fixing their kicking problem: find out how bad it can get, then see if you can go lower

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
There's a good chance it all fails spectacularly but after watching the press conference...it just feels good. Yeah he's getting a dumptruck full of money but I believed him when he said he never wanted to leave and talked about how much he loves the city, franchise, fans and all things Raiders. It just felt really cool seeing him up there like that.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Black Sunshine posted:

There's a good chance it all fails spectacularly but after watching the press conference...it just feels good. Yeah he's getting a dumptruck full of money but I believed him when he said he never wanted to leave and talked about how much he loves the city, franchise, fans and all things Raiders. It just felt really cool seeing him up there like that.

I mean, I have some bad news.

Ugly Tony
May 6, 2005

It's not even Tuesday, dog

Grittybeard posted:

I mean, I have some bad news.

you mean the 2 years in Oakland before they move to LV that he talked about in the press conference?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

"I'm totally not a piece of poo poo owner who's stealing your team. Here, I brought back a coach you all like!" -Mark Davis

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
I don't think that's how it went down

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

a neat cape posted:

"I'm totally not a piece of poo poo owner who's stealing your team. Here, I brought back a coach you all like!" -Mark Davis

Says a Chargers fan

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Jack Del Huevos posted:

you mean the 2 years in Oakland before they move to LV that he talked about in the press conference?

Which city does he love then?

(It's Gruden, I already know he loves both)

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Blitz7x posted:

I don't think that's how it went down

Yeah Mark isn't saying the first thing out loud.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Black Sunshine posted:

Says a Chargers fan

Spanos and Davis are both giant pieces of poo poo for moving teams, what about this isn't clear

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

a neat cape posted:

Spanos and Davis are both giant pieces of poo poo for moving teams, what about this isn't clear

Davis didn't have his city trying to work with him in any meaningful capacity. Your owner is literally a mustache twirling piece of poo poo.

In no way am I defending the NFL holding cities for ransom over free stadiums for billionaires. All cities should tell them to gently caress off. Just saying that Davis was in a bad situation with a stadium that had literal rivers of poo poo flowing around and he didn't have the means to build himself a replacement without giving up the team.

Ugly Tony
May 6, 2005

It's not even Tuesday, dog

Grittybeard posted:

Which city does he love then?

(It's Gruden, I already know he loves both)

i imagine he'll love Las Vegas in two years when he doesn't have to pay CA tax on that back loaded $100 million deal

Afterbirth Aftermath
Aug 29, 2002
He'll be back in the booth by then

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:
Lost in the disappointment of the Cable hiring is this nugget I'm down for

https://twitter.com/AustinGayle_PFF/status/952197579353264131

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

warcrimes posted:

Lost in the disappointment of the Cable hiring is this nugget I'm down for

https://twitter.com/AustinGayle_PFF/status/952197579353264131

Shot

code:
Year	Team	Adj. Sack Rate
2006	ATL	31st
2007	OAK	27th
2008	OAK	30th
2009	OAK	31st
2010	OAK	26th
2011	SEA	24th
2012	SEA	20th
2013	SEA	32nd
2014	SEA	24th
2015	SEA	30th
2016	SEA	25th
2017	SEA	31st
Chaser?
https://twitter.com/HBNadolny/status/952235523208351744

Afterbirth Aftermath
Aug 29, 2002
I say we give Josh McDaniels a second chance

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Afterbirth Aftermath posted:

I say we give Josh McDaniels a second chance

What the hell is wrong with you.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Your Arrowhead Pride feature fanpost discussion since I glanced at it this morning:

Joel Lanning is worth a late draft pick, both as a #3 quarterback and linebacker and safety depth. Also Lamar Jackson might fall to the 6th round and be worth a pick. Or not, he's probably not worth drafting and you should go for JT Barrett instead.

This has been your arrowheadpride featured fanpost and discussion update.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:
It's that time of year where Raider goons and fans convince themselves a MLB is worth a high first round pick and that Big Red is gonna pull the trigger on him.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

warcrimes posted:

It's that time of year where Raider goons and fans convince themselves a MLB is worth a high first round pick and that Big Red is gonna pull the trigger on him.

I hope Barkley drops to #9 for no reason.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I'm expecting a country strong tackle that had his leg amputated because of a bear attack that happened three weeks before the draft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

MrLogan posted:

I hope Barkley drops to #9 for no reason.

I'm in the don't draft an RB in the first round group. With the exception of can't miss monsters. Barkley is one of those.

• Locked thread