Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Anony Mouse posted:

Myself and gf of 1 year (23M/F): I watched her beat the poo poo out of a man who wanted to hurt her and stay happy about it. I just can’t look at her the same since

"There's a lot of inconsistencies and illogical points in my gf's story, which she told me when she was drunk and looking for reasons to be mad at me, and by weird coincidence there were no witnesses. I guess it was just a crazy incredible streak of superhuman behavior, after all there could be no supplementary, truth-bearing, helpful details."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Drunk Nerds posted:

"There's a lot of inconsistencies and illogical points in my gf's story, which she told me when she was drunk and looking for reasons to be mad at me, and by weird coincidence there were no witnesses. I guess it was just a crazy incredible streak of superhuman behavior, after all there could be no supplementary, truth-bearing, helpful details."

Hey dumbass, maybe try reading more than half the story before posting.

Also, gently caress that OP. "My GF can stand up for herself without becoming an emotional puddle. WHAT DO?"

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
sounds like she got the blood lust

it happens :shrug:

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Duhhhhhh my girlfriend is happy that she was able to stop herself from getting sexually assaulted. Also I won't just say what loving country i live in so i can get good advice.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
*sigh*

my girlfriend just never looks as into it when she beats the poo poo out of me

I felt I saw her bliss face for real that day and I can't shake the feelings of inadequacy.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Anony Mouse posted:

I think deep down inside of this guy, in his heart of hearts, he felt a tiny bit of cold comfort in the physical power he assumed he had over his girlfriend, and now he feels vulnerable. Imagine being with a partner who could beat the poo poo out of you if they really wanted to... oh wait.

I think you'll find that healthy relationships typically don't have the couple evaluating who could beat the poo poo out of who in a given situation

In terms of the story

quote:

What happened from my perspective: I was walking back to where we parted with another friend who was also leaving. I heard screaming and of course I run there as fast as I could. When I got there she was punching and kneeing this man, who was on the ground, as hard as she could. I had to peel HER off him. The guy looked like human shaped mincemeat, I am still surprised he survived.

I don’t blame her. Of course, at all. If anything, I blame myself, every day, I struggle with deep guilt for putting Thea in this situation through first forgetting the phone and then abandoning her. But it’s not the guilt that’s killing me, it’s remembering my gentle and caring girlfriend transformed in this rage machine trying to gouge man’s eyes out long after he seemed overpowered. And her reaction.

Thea cried and acted so scared and confused in front of the cops. After they were able to confirm that the man actually already had one conviction for something called “opportunistic sexuаl аssault” they were very sympathetic to her situation (and more than a little judgmental of me). But when I tried to comfort her in private, she told me the only thing she was sorry for is putting me through such hell because of her own stupidity, and she is mad at herself for being so stupid. She is not distraught or upset over having to assault this guy. Her own words were that she is “extremely pleased” with having been able to defend herself, and punish him for what he wanted to do. She said she thinks back to it often and although she’s learned the lesson, she enjoys the memory.

There's something really really weird about the way this guy wrote it. He seems more sympathetic to the attacker than the GF. Like, look at the way he humanizes the attacker (looked like human shaped mincemeat, HE COULD HAVE DIED), and demonizes his girlfriend (Thea cried and ACTED so scared and confused in front of the cops). Like it's hard to overstate how hosed up I find that.

So ok his GF has to sit around alone in a park at night because this guy is a doofus who can't remember his phone. Then he comes back and finds that she's beating the poo poo out of an actual convicted sex assaulter for trying to assault her. So what are the observations and conclusions this dude makes?

-She was hitting her attacker excessively
-She was putting her attacker's life in danger with her reckless disregard for his safety
-She put on a show of fear / contrition in front of the cops (heavily implying it's fake)
-Even though the police explained that he was a convicted sex criminal, that didn't change this dude's perception of events
-Embellishes the details after the fact, that she was "trying to claw his eyes out"
-Has an issue that she's proud of herself for defending herself

Man it's like the ultimate selfishness. First, through your idiocy put your partner in a dangerous situation. Then, doubt everything they say happened, even when corroborated by the police. Finally, keep embellishing it and distorting it in your head so that you can present your GF as some kind of unhinged violent person and start building up a fear narrative around it.

Why can't this dude have the drill sergeant father that beats the poo poo out of him, I would so enjoy if the awful people from the stories could somehow find each other and live happily ever after

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Anony Mouse posted:

Myself and gf of 1 year (23M/F): I watched her beat the poo poo out of a man who wanted to hurt her and stay happy about it. I just can’t look at her the same since

Girlfriend badass, so what

I think deep down inside of this guy, in his heart of hearts, he felt a tiny bit of cold comfort in the physical power he assumed he had over his girlfriend, and now he feels vulnerable. Imagine being with a partner who could beat the poo poo out of you if they really wanted to... oh wait.

:cry: "Wah! My girlfriend didn't need me to save her from a sexual assault!" :cry:

Also its completely natural to start crying when the cops are grilling you after the event, when you're tired and scared and the adrenaline rush has worn off. Its also totally natural to be happy that you beat the poo poo out of a rapist once you know you are okay.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Ham Sandwiches posted:

I think you'll find that healthy relationships typically don't have the couple evaluating who could beat the poo poo out of who in a given situation

In terms of the story

There's something really really weird about the way this guy wrote it. He seems more sympathetic to the attacker than the GF. Like, look at the way he humanizes the attacker (looked like human shaped mincemeat, HE COULD HAVE DIED), and demonizes his girlfriend (Thea cried and ACTED so scared and confused in front of the cops). Like it's hard to overstate how hosed up I find that.

So ok his GF has to sit around alone in a park at night because this guy is a doofus who can't remember his phone. Then he comes back and finds that she's beating the poo poo out of an actual convicted sex assaulter for trying to assault her. So what are the observations and conclusions this dude makes?

-She was hitting her attacker excessively
-She was putting her attacker's life in danger with her reckless disregard for his safety
-She put on a show of fear / contrition in front of the cops (heavily implying it's fake)
-Even though the police explained that he was a convicted sex criminal, that didn't change this dude's perception of events
-Embellishes the details after the fact, that she was "trying to claw his eyes out"
-Has an issue that she's proud of herself for defending herself

Man it's like the ultimate selfishness. First, through your idiocy put your partner in a dangerous situation. Then, doubt everything they say happened, even when corroborated by the police. Finally, keep embellishing it and distorting it in your head so that you can present your GF as some kind of unhinged violent person and start building up a fear narrative around it.

Why can't this dude have the drill sergeant father that beats the poo poo out of him, I would so enjoy if the awful people from the stories could somehow find each other and live happily ever after

I like this post. I also want to add that he spent an excessive amount of time arguing that he was TOTALLY JUSTIFIED in wanting his gf to walk back to the car in painful shoes for no real reason

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dudes upset because they didnt go to IHOP the same night to get a complimentary ice cream desert for beating up a rapist.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
If "crime" or "self-defense" is being decided by a random mook of a street cop, you'd be a moron to not put on the best act you could regardless of how you felt inside.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

If "crime" or "self-defense" is being decided by a random mook of a street cop, you'd be a moron to not put on the best act you could regardless of how you felt inside.

Its so important they actually coach you how to do it in self defense classes

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Anne Whateley posted:

This part is like 10000000% believable. I came from a tiny town and didn't do anything until I got to college, and that was a huge issue for guys, who almost all reacted exactly that way. It turns out the virgin = psycho stereotype is uhhh bad

Yeah, people make fun of older male virgins, but a lot of people think there is genuinely something wrong with women who haven’t lost theirs by like 19 or something. And of course many people think having sex with a virgin is some huge responsibility and that she’ll get all clingy and stuff like that. I’m sure there’s some women who do, but it’s far from universal. Like you, I didn’t have sex until I was in college and I didn’t even tell the guy I lost it to, because I was afraid he either laugh at me or make it into a much bigger deal than it was.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

My last gf was a 6'2 transgender lady who can and would beat the gently caress out of anybody harassing her. In all the time I've known her I've never seen her lose a fight. She's a real sweetheart, though

I hope the woman in the reddit story dumps his pathetic loser rear end

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

ArbitraryC posted:

that's basically what "fluid bonding" is meant to address as far as I can tell.

i'm not poly but i get the impression it's also supposed to be a way of still setting yourself apart as the 'special one' in your partner's life. "okay buddy you might be plowin' my wife but I'm the only one who doesn't have to use a condom :smug:"

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Women only need men for two things: their physical strength and their sperm.

Gentlemen, if we allow women to learn how to protect themselves, then it’s only a matter of time before science manages to synthesize artificial sperm from soybeans and much like the noble auto-worker, we will find ourselves without a job.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

fruit on the bottom posted:

Women only need men for two things: their physical strength and their sperm.

Gentlemen, if we allow women to learn how to protect themselves, then it’s only a matter of time before science manages to synthesize artificial sperm from soybeans and much like the noble auto-worker, we will find ourselves without a job.

But machines already do your job?

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

As an aside:

I had never, never grasped how many men want other people to gently caress their partner until reddit

Would have gone to my grave convinced it doesn't happen

Yes, this was the story that prompted that comment

My Husband (25M) convinced me (26F) to try an open relationship.

quote:

My husband (male, 25) convinced me (female, 26) to try an open relationship. We have been married almost 4 years now and he's been trying to get me interested almost the whole time. I have never been in one before so I am not sure if what is happening is normal or not. Long story short, the main person he wanted to bring in was his best friend who was also the best man at our wedding. They have been friends for like 15 years or so. They did share each other's girlfriends a few times in their teenage years but that was a long time ago. A little bit that might be important is shortly after our wedding his best friend and I ended up getting into a fight. (that's another long story) but I felt like his friend was being a jerk and my husband kept picking his side no matter what. I got very angry and didn't want him around. We talked off and on the past year or so and mended the bridge for my husband's sake. He just finally started to come around the past month and a half.

At the moment, he has hung out with us 3 times and all 3 times we have ended up getting drunk and having sex. And I feel like each time has been kind of weird.

The first time, I was too drunk to stay up any longer so I went to bed. My husband came in later to try and have sex with me and was too wasted himself so he told me to go get his friend and passed out (I don't remember this) but the next thing I knew, his friend was on me and he lasted 3 hours but it wasn't like he just f***ed me. It was very passionate. He kept playing with my hair, kissing me softly and being playful. The couple weeks after we texted a lot. Mostly just joking around and being dumb. My husband was involved in some of the conversations as well.

The 2nd time we were at a new years party. My husband told me to get ready to go because we were going to his house. Once we got there it was weird. For a long time my husband kept loving with his friend. Like doing "gay" things to make his friend get uncomfortable so they had to stop. They both kept laughing about it but it got to the point where his friend said he couldn't be with me with my husband right there. So his friend had me while my husband video taped it (his friend and I didn't know he was video taping until the end though). His friend was still very passionate this time too. After he was done, my husband had his way with me, which didn't take long. They both ended up messing with me a little bit more and than I fell asleep and they went and played video games but his friend kept checking up on me to make sure I was okay and didn't need anything. The week after he continued to text me a lot.

This last time we got drunk, again, I went to bed and they got more drunk. I feel like the best friend knows how it started but he claims he doesn't. My husband can't remember most of the night either. But the next thing I know they are both messing with me. Then his best friend asks to have me to himself. My husband claims that he had me for hours but I don't remember. I do remember he was more aggressive this time. After he was done, my husband finished up, which didn't take him long at all. When I went to the bathroom I realized his friend had practically mauled my neck. Seriously, these are some of the worst hickeys I have ever had. One is light but the other three look so dark red/purple it's like I burned or something. When I pointed it out to him and jokingly said, "thanks for this by the way" He got a big grin on his face and quickly went back to bed. He also told me before he left when I mentioned it again that he couldn't do everything he wants to me because all he could think about was that my husband was behind him watching and it made him uncomfortable. He gave me a hug before he left and I haven't heard from him since and it's been 3 days.

During this whole time my husband has been talking to a girl he has a crush on at work but nothing has happened yet which I think is weird because it doesn't seem like he's really trying. Also, since his friend and I first had sex whenever my husband and I are having sex alone, he wants me to please him with a strap-on. (also something I have never done). My husband seems to be enjoying every second of it. Especially my frustration because they both like to play mind games and I can't really tell if I am doing any of this right or how to read anything they are doing. I have talked to my husband about it and he just chuckles and tells me I'm doing fine, I am beautiful and I shouldn't feel self conscious about anything.

Can anyone tell me what's going on? I am really confused and they like to keep me guessing. I kind of feel like my husband may be bi and may have a crush on his best friend and his best friend knows but doesn't go that way?

TL;DR; : What should I expect in an open relationship? I feel like this is a mind game, how do I play?

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

I think his main problem is that he's afraid to admit he'd have run at the first sign of trouble instead of staying to try and help her

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I [23F] come back from a 3 week vacation to find my boyfriend [28M] of 3 months has regressed into a disgusting child. Am I overreacting?

quote:

I had been home for Christmas and New Years for 3 weeks and the entire time we facetimed religiously and I truly missed hanging out with him. He has fallen on hard times recently--he's out of a place to live and he's living with his dad, a myriad of car/money issues-- and he's never been a clean person, however before my vacation it was gross but tolerable. These were all things I could look past, he's disorganized and messy and has lost his debit card 4 times in the time we've been dating but hey! I love the kid. It's quirky!

However I come back and it's terrible from the get-go. His car is disgusting there is literally trash everywhere, piled so high in the back that you can't see the ground and it's eyelevel from the front seat. He picks me up from the airport and the trunk is so full of poo poo I can barely put my suitcase and backpack in it. We get dinner, he gets so stoned afterwards he can barely put words together into sentences.

We come back to my place and he basically kicks my roommates, who I was talking to while he brings my suitcase up, out so we can have sex. He knows that my bed is loud and squeaky and I hate being that person that people can hear having sex but he just loving rams it anyway, resulting in me being uncomfortable during the last half of it.

Then afterwards when I try to cuddle because I missed him, he turns away and tells me he needs his space, but he'll "be around in an hour" because he needs to sleep because he has work tomorrow at 10:30. It's now 12:30 and I know for a fact that he has stayed out until 2/3 am the past couple days hanging out with his friends smoking weed.

If this were anyone else I would have dropped him immediately but he's so attentive and caring whenever he's not like this and he genuinely loves me, but this behavior is unacceptable. Now, I'm not perfect but I know for poo poo certain I'm not this bad. I haven't had a serious conversation with him about this, but I've jokingly nagged him to clean stuff here and there. I'm definitely not an anal clean person and he doesn't need to be a clean person but I'd appreciate it if he tried to present something that wasn't a garbage fire.

I'm debating whether to give him an ultimatum--get it together or I'm gone. Am I overreacting?

tl;dr: My boyfriends quirks have turned into full blown deal breakers. Should I stay or should I go?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I mean, it's a little disturbing if he comes back and finds his girlfriend trying to gouge the eyes out of some dude who "looks like mincemeat" and she relishes the memory of it. No way that isn't altering your perception of somebody. I guess in America it's considered normal these days that murder is totally legitimate in all cases of self-defence, but proportional self-defence is a thing and going Punisher style on somebody incapacitated is hosed up. Even if you want to totally excuse that by invoking "red mist", recalling your actions and then explicitly being happy about them casts you in a creepy light imo. That goes too for showing a complete emotional 180 in front of you, pretending to be upset when inwardly being happy.

Even if you believe every step is justified, it will still affect how you see a person in the future, and obviously that's what this person is wrestling with. Being able to defend yourself is empowering, inflicting injury on somebody no longer resisting is something else.

:can:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Barudak posted:

But machines already do your job?

TayTweets was my wake up call.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I feel like that whole Thea post is actually Arrow fanfiction. Like that guy is saying Thea Queen who has retired from crime fighting but can still easily kick anyone's rear end, but doesn't know her past.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Jeza posted:

I mean, it's a little disturbing if he comes back and finds his girlfriend trying to gouge the eyes out of some dude who "looks like mincemeat" and she relishes the memory of it. No way that isn't altering your perception of somebody. I guess in America it's considered normal these days that murder is totally legitimate in all cases of self-defence, but proportional self-defence is a thing and going Punisher style on somebody incapacitated is hosed up. Even if you want to totally excuse that by invoking "red mist", recalling your actions and then explicitly being happy about them casts you in a creepy light imo. That goes too for showing a complete emotional 180 in front of you, pretending to be upset when inwardly being happy.

Even if you believe every step is justified, it will still affect how you see a person in the future, and obviously that's what this person is wrestling with. Being able to defend yourself is empowering, inflicting injury on somebody no longer resisting is something else.

:can:

*watches 6 police officers beat a minority they are arresting with nightsticks, cramming plungers up their rear end, slamming them on the hood of the car etc* "Yeah I guess if the police have to come get you, they're bringing an rear end whooping with them"

*watches a girl in a dress and heels fight off a sexual predator* "WHOA WHOA young lady did you even notice the moment this became assault? That poor man"

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

I just believe it's not right to use systemic imbalances in power to justify individual actions. I don't believe in the application of excessive force being justified for anyone, nor do I think that enjoying applying it is a particularly pleasant emotional response.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

It's almost as if trying to find ways to be content about it after the fact might be a common coping mechanism for confronting a narrow escape from calamity and also one's own capacity for violence

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

spite house posted:

It's almost as if trying to find ways to be content about it after the fact might be a common coping mechanism for confronting a narrow escape from calamity and also one's own capacity for violence

I'll have to take your word for it. I'm not aware of it as a common coping mechanism. But even so, his reaction is equally valid. If she had left and returned to find him punching an inert assailant into mincemeat and having to pull him off, then later having him confide in her that he thought of it often and enjoyed it, and now felt guilty but couldn't see him in the same way as before, I think that would be a reasonable response. As you mention, witnessing somebody's capacity for violence may be something that is traumatic enough to cause coping mechanisms.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

She probably feels like she prevented that guy from taking advantage of another woman ever again. I'd be proud as gently caress too, gently caress that guy and gently caress her shithead boyfriend for trying to spin it like she's a villain and a rapist is a sympathetic figure after.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Jeza posted:

I just believe it's not right to use systemic imbalances in power to justify individual actions. I don't believe in the application of excessive force being justified for anyone, nor do I think that enjoying applying it is a particularly pleasant emotional response.

I didn't know that places outside of America had people able to robotically judge their situation and thoughtfully consider their responses while being assaulted and process the adrenaline/coping afterwards.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I like how in the park beating story both these idiots get invited to a park where they need to walk a minor 10 minutes instead of driving right up to the door of the building and didn't wear appropriate footwear or jackets for the cold and act like the person who's birthday it was who wanted to eat at a nice park restaurant is a thoughtless idiot.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Jeza posted:

won't someone think of the rapists

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Barudak posted:

Its so important they actually coach you how to do it in self defense classes

actually they tell you to say you're too "emotional" to talk now and get a lawyer, then refuse any future meetings without said lawyer.

then again they also say to stop hitting/shooting the person once they're on the ground incapacitated :shrug:

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Midnight Voyager posted:

I didn't know that places outside of America had people able to robotically judge their situation and thoughtfully consider their responses while being assaulted and process the adrenaline/coping afterwards.

I was talking about most people's reaction to the post here, not asking people being assaulted to clinically assess their situation. I don't give two shits if the rapist died in the attempt because she had a gun, or if she punched him and he hit his head on the bench and died. But I disagree to the contention that smooshing up the face of somebody apparently long since overpowered makes you 'badass'.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Anony Mouse posted:

Girlfriend badass, so what

Yeah, if I suddenly had the knowledge that if someone attacks me without provocation I could easily turn them into mincemeat, and that someone had just attacked me without provocation and I turned them into mincemeat I'd be pretty loving happy with myself. gently caress yeah girl. Amazons are hot. Doesn't sound like he's the abusive type, but I doubt he ever will be either.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Jeza posted:

I was talking about most people's reaction to the post here, not asking people being assaulted to clinically assess their situation. I don't give two shits if the rapist died in the attempt because she had a gun, or if she punched him and he hit his head on the bench and died. But I disagree to the contention that smooshing up the face of somebody apparently long since overpowered makes you 'badass'.

At some point the event transitioned from a girl defending herself from a rapist (badass) to violently assaulting a rapist (not badass, but still a good thing). But nobody who matters really cares where the former ended and the latter began because he absolutely deserved it.

But yeah, kicking a prone dude in the head may or may not be warranted, but it's not something to be proud of.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Actually, if you find yourself in a situation not of your own making, fighting off a person that is both sexually assaulting you and has been convicted of opportunistic sexual assault in the past, you can and should feel proud for emerging from that situation unscathed, and that's about the extent of it

I don't understand where the "beating up prone people is bad" stuff even comes from, defending yourself is not some Robocop like "THE THREAT HAS PASSED CITIZEN" action, and the law gives a crapload of a leeway for that reason

In California, specifically, there's something called No Duty To Retreat which means you don't have to defend yourself until you can flee, you can defend yourself until you no longer feel in danger for your life.

It's weird, you have "I murdered someone in my house" zimmerman and then you have "Ah that was 2 punches over the line, sorry it's no longer defense but assault" standard that is being thrown around here

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Counterpoint: the end of Death Proof

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Problems [32M] with my GF [33F] of just under a year who just informed me she's part of an MLM program

quote:

Hi everyone!

So, I'll dive right in. My gf took me to a "meeting" that she said was important to her the other night. Turned out to be an MLM presentation for World Wide Dream Builders which is basically an AMO (amway motivational organization).

Basically, it's amway but they tell you that you have to earn a mentorship from them (by buying things and going to paid events) and then they will teach you to be a debt free cash flow something or other.

I was floored and shocked at what I was at and as you can probably guess, I have a less than stellar opinion of these things. This was the first I was hearing of this. She had gone to some conference a few months back and wouldn't tell me what it was because "I would probably just google it" and "that's not the way I should learn about it".

The people speaking to the 1500+ people at this event the other night are the ones that she is trying to "earn" a mentorship from. She feels as though they are her best friends and some of the greatest people she's ever met and I should feel privileged to have gotten the chance to hear them speak.

I felt dirty, not privileged when I left the event. She told me that "these are the two best people that YOU will ever get the chance to meet in your life and you should feel privileged to even have the chance to hear them speak." I don't want to use the term brain-washed, but I want to.

We talked about it last night and it did not go well. I told her that if she wanted to do this, I would support her but I did not want to be an active part of it. This does not seem to be okay with her and she is "disappointed in me." and she will be dedicating a majority of her time to "building this asset" going forward.

I would really like to make this work but I'm not really sure if that is possible. Any suggestions or similar experiences? We are supposed to talk again tonight when she gets off work.

tl;dr: GF just sprung on me she's part of an MLM. I hate MLMs and think they're slimy. Causing insane problems
:rip:

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Help with unusual employee request (self.AskHR)

quote:

I manage a technical department of about 12 people, and I am about 6 month into my current position. In my previous position i managed the same number of people, but for a much larger company that had layers of management above me, so I am kind of new at being the boss.

One of my employees, call him Deepak, is a second generation Indian American. He is planning on getting married, it is an arranged marriage with a woman in India facilitated by both sets of parents. The parents of the bride are coming to the US from India as a final step. He has asked me to have a meeting with his future in-laws, basically as a character and professional reference. I am somewhat uncomfortable with the idea for several reasons. One is that potential for misunderstanding due to cultural differences seems high . Two, Deepak is competent, but does not really apply himself. A "class clown" if you will, coworkers find him either amusing or annoying (and on a personal level I am in the second group), his technical skills are above average, but he applies them with below average frequency. So his professional performance is satisfactory, but this is not a person I would recommend for promotion, or sing genuine accolades for.

On the other hand I want to support my team, and be an effective leader. This is very important to Deepak, so from leadership perspective I feel like I should take the meeting to show I have my peoples back. However my American business etiquette sensibilities are screaming that this is a disaster in the making.

Any advice is welcome.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

maskenfreiheit posted:

Help with unusual employee request (self.AskHR)

Smile and tell them Deepak brings his own 'unique perspective' to the company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

"Deepak if your work doesn't improve I'm afraid I won't be able to vouch for your entry into the FuckClub"

a real conversation that's about to happen somewhere