Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Halloween Jack posted:

You can see the beginnings of the problem in his earlier films, namely King Kong.

I have a big soft spot for King Kong but agreed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
The Hobbit movies were a nightmare. So long that the buzz/high you were working with to stomach trying it in the first place would fade away and you'd suddenly find yourself in a movie theater watching video game cutscenes with no sense of how many hours of the film were left. 2? 3? It could be anything. It could FEEL like anything. It was the Jaunt of movies. Watching the third one i wanted to leave soooo bad and I'm someone that sat through The Brown Bunny and A Day Without a Mexican.
People mock the DC films for like, Generic Monster Man Antagonist but I'd rather see Doomsday a thousand more times than have to deal with Azog or Magog or whatever the gently caress that dudes name was in the corny rear end videogame cut scene battles.
I'm imagining all three movies marathoned as a 20 hour (at least in feeling) Gitmo situation.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Halloween Jack posted:

The second movie ends with Smaug discovering that someone has stolen from his hoard. Then there's a huge long action set-piece that ends with Smaug getting doused with molten gold. He literally shakes it off, blames the Lake Men, and flies off to destroy their town.

I "love" that change because it means this ultra old powerful being terrorized and made his home in this ancient dwarf stronghold, wakes up, sees this pack of dwarves is messing around and talking about stealing poo poo and steal a bunch of his poo poo and how this is there home, knows Bilbo is hanging around and chats with him, gets tricked by a dwarf into an attempt to seal him into a gold statue of this dwarf guy's dad, but is still like no, CLEARLY this is the work of some humans from this town way to the south.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Smaug isn't confused as to who's responsible, but rather chooses to burn down Laketown in order to avenge himself against the dwarves and hobbit (who he just can't manage to kill).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Guy A. Person posted:

They should have let del Toro direct the Hobbit

Well, he very, very desperately wanted to, but MGM being broke as a joke finally pushed him over the edge; he literally put his life on hold for two and a half years to make the two movies, but with no resolution to their financial situation in sight, he finally got tired of "hurry up and wait" and wanted to actually get back to working on stuff. Can't say I blame him.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

not

one

pieeeeeeeeeece

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I think Del Toro should go into a project with a "I hate this and I don't want to be here" attitude and he'll receive twice the budget and the production would go perfectly. Seems like every passion project he wanted to do over the last decade just didn't work out - movies or video games. I'm honestly surprised The Shape of Water came out and all the footage didn't get blown up or the creator of Hellboy throwing it into legal quagmire.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jan 10, 2018

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Teen Titans Go! To the Movies teaser:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY6Kx8WJS78

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Cannot wait to hit up the 10 PM showing of that on a Wednesday alone wearing a paper bag on my face :shepface:

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Jimbot posted:

I think Del Toro should go into a project with a "I hate this and I don't want to be here" attitude and he'll receive twice the budget and the production would go perfectly. Seems like every passion project he wanted to do over the last decade just didn't work out - movies or video games. I'm honestly surprised The Shape of Water came out and all the footage didn't get blown up or the creator of Hellboy throwing it into legal quagmire.

I don't know what I admire more: the honesty to edit in a reference to The Shape of Water (a movie Del Toro had wanted to make since he was a child), or the balls to then not edit your "every passion project" line despite blowing it up in the next sentence.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Sir Kodiak posted:

I don't know what I admire more: the honesty to edit in a reference to The Shape of Water (a movie Del Toro had wanted to make since he was a child), or the balls to then not edit your "every passion project" line despite blowing it up in the next sentence.

Maybe "every passion project based on a licensed work" is a better metric? The list is what at this point: Hellboy 3, Silent Hill game, At the Mountains of Madness, the Hobbit

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Guy A. Person posted:

Maybe "every passion project based on a licensed work" is a better metric? The list is what at this point: Hellboy 3, Silent Hill game, At the Mountains of Madness, the Hobbit

but he needs to make a bioshock movie now so this can't happen any more.

i will get my bioshock movie if i have to make it myself for $200 with some duct tape and a garden hose.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

"No", said the man in Hollywood, "it belongs to Irrational"

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Sir Kodiak posted:

"It seems like" isn't a definitive statement. Down boy, your god idol Guillermo del Toro will be fine and my post wasn't an attack on him at all. I was pointing out that he has tremendously bad luck when it comes to getting passion projects off the ground for one reason or another.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I'm pretty sure Sir K was just needling you for posting both "he has trouble getting passion projects off the ground" and then admitting that his ultimate passion project got off the ground. I think "had the balls" was just a turn of phrase and not meant to be antagonistic, it was just an "it's funny that you contradict your own point" observation

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yep, just thought it was a funny contradiction. Tried not to antagonize, but, whelp :shrug:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Yeah bad phrasing IMO, seemed a little antagonistic.

BTW in other Comic Book Movie news I got my son the new Scooby Doo meets Batman (Brave and the Bold) and other than the fact that they totally flubbed Batman's voice it's pretty good. It's a nice companion to the super-weird dream-logic 1972 Scooby Doo Where Are You? Batman episodes.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Don't worry I'm super well versed in phrasing my funny jokes wrong and pissing off friends and family so I notice that poo poo and I got your back :respek:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
If you want to see some weird kitschy dream logic, I have to recommend Batman and Harley Quinn. It's downright Lynchian at times.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Yeah, sorry if I came off as too hostile there. I have a cold, I'm physically cold and it's just been a miserable day for me all around. I'm punchy today.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

No worries. I went for ironic overstatement, which doesn't always play in text.

In terms of comic book movies... recently watched Valerian. It's rad. If you liked The Fifth Element, definitely check it out.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
To change the subject a little bit...
do you guys like the films of Zack Snyder?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
He's my favorite disc jockey :anime:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Punkin Spunkin posted:

The only thing I love more than the films is the man

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

The book rules but Battle of the Five Armies is horrendous and it's a third of the story of the movies' story

Weirdly, it's a movie almost entirely about a battle that features very little battle footage. And, in what there is, it's never actually clear what happens. It's the grey armoured dwarves bumping into grey armoured orcs, who are also bumping into elves whose armour, despite being gold, is so washed out it's kind of grey. You have these incredibly elaborate, expensive shots that are 90% CGI, and you arrive at the end of them wondering what the loving point of that shot was supposed to be.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

You know what, you're right. The elaborate V-Rex/King Kong set-piece took it right to the edge. He clearly keeps escalating the action scenes until they get blown out into a full-on cartoon. Very perceptive.

It's also that his action scenes are completely sequential. It's less noticeable in a general action scene, or in a battle with only a few moving pieces, but everything happens in order. So, in the Two Towers, there's the trade of arrows, and there's shots of the elves firing, then, a little later, shots of the orcs firing and hitting, and then both sides apparently throw away their bows and crossbows. Compare that with, say, Kingdom of Heaven, where the arrows are constantly flying back and forth over people's heads. It's not a big deal there and only weirdos like me notice, but in something like 'Five Armies' you get huge war machines popping up, and then vanishing, or the afore-mentioned worms. Each aspect of the battle is isolated from the others. I mean, for all its flaws, Rogue One did this really well, where multiple aspects of the final battle happened simultaneously and it was clear what was happening, where it was, and how it affected everything else.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jan 11, 2018

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
In King Kong, I was thinking specifically of the very long scene where they are attacked by some giant spiders, and then they slide down a hill into a mud pit where they are attacked by giant centipedes, and then when they get away from them they get attacked by velociraptors. I don't actually remember the order in which they were menaced by which type of prehistoric hell monster, but it was very sequential and very wearying.

Also the end scene where Fay Wray almost falls off the tower, then she doesn't, then the latter falls down and she almost does again, but she doesn't, and...it kind of undercuts the tragedy of the finale.

The Hobbit movies have some good action scenes, and others are very long and feel like watching someone play Castlevania.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Marvel actually hired someone to write a Black Widow movie, finally.

http://variety.com/2018/film/news/marvel-black-widow-jac-schaeffer-screenwriter-1202643908/

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Just make it Metal Gear Solid 3

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

It's also that his action scenes are completely sequential. It's less noticeable in a general action scene, or in a battle with only a few moving pieces, but everything happens in order. So, in the Two Towers, there's the trade of arrows, and there's shots of the elves firing, then, a little later, shots of the orcs firing and hitting, and then both sides apparently throw away their bows and crossbows. Compare that with, say, Kingdom of Heaven, where the arrows are constantly flying back and forth over people's heads. It's not a big deal there and only weirdos like me notice, but in something like 'Five Armies' you get huge war machines popping up, and then vanishing, or the afore-mentioned worms. Each aspect of the battle is isolated from the others. I mean, for all its flaws, Rogue One did this really well, where multiple aspects of the final battle happened simultaneously and it was clear what was happening, where it was, and how it affected everything else.

There's nothing weird about noticing that, I mean even with the footage they shot I'm sure you could edit together a compelling battle (especially with how much of it is all CG) but the time and care just wasn't put into it so it's battle by checklist.

Also :laffo: CG Billy Connolly as Dain. That was godawful. I understand why they weren't able to get him to re-shoot his scene but like

1) Are you kidding me? The dialogue they had him phone in was somehow importantly better than whatever was shot before? Like did they only have audio of him making fart noises or something?

2) They seriously couldn't put a stuntman in a wig like they did anytime Saruman is doing anything other than sitting down?

Like WOW that looked bad the second it was in motion.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Just make it Metal Gear Solid 3

When you see the snake hydra dance, it's time to die.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Punkin Spunkin posted:

The man who turned Superman into an Objectivist Libertarian hero who murders billions of people with a massive smile on his face and then got killed by his version of the Batman who kills people for no reason, and in creating these versions literally defecated upon the graves of all of those who have written for both before?

Yeah hes alright actually. His films are good.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I only really dig 2 of them, the rest of his filmography is only alright.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Gorn Myson posted:

The man who turned Superman into an Objectivist Libertarian hero who murders billions of people with a massive smile on his face and then got killed by his version of the Batman who kills people for no reason, and in creating these versions literally defecated upon the graves of all of those who have written for both before?

Yeah hes alright actually. His films are good.

Wow hosed up that Zack Snyder got killed during the Beavis filming

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I Before E posted:

His last words were "No, Henry, you moron! Like THIS!"

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Al Borland Corp. posted:

His last words were "No, Henry, you moron! Like THIS!"

"Don't you remember, Batfleck? When I killed your parents? I flexed JUST LIKE THIS!"

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

:psyduck:

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I Before E posted:

Yeah RIP. His legacy shall live on forever.

But its so bad that he made Superman a Nazi that literally goose stepped across the corpses of civilians in Man of Steel.
I really hope one of his criticisms is "It was too long!"

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Something is wrong with human beings in this day and age. I am officially old and should be on my lawn in a chair. What is wrong with youngin's?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
MovieBob more like MovieBADOPINIONSMAN haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Ask him what he thinks of eugenics. The critic thread just had a multi-page discussion about how his twitter opinions are trash and he's a rather trash person.