Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Vargo posted:

You know what? Here's a new rule. Let's just go with a general "Don't be a creep" rule. This means don't act like an actress' breasts are a seperate person, don't obsess over whether a woman's body is "right" to play a superhero, don't say that women could stand to lose a few pounds, make ironic sexist remarks at your own risk, basic simple stuff. (Don't tell us what you masturbate to.)

If you want to say how good-looking an actress or actor is, go ahead, but don't be a creep about it, and at least try to have something else mor substantial to contribute to the discussion.

After nearly two years, I thought it was time to make an All-New, All-Different Comic Book Thread #1 Foil Cover Special. Everything is rebooted! Rest assured, it won't be just white men posting here like it's the 60's, though. All opinions are welcome here, even the wrong ones. Be warned: this thread will routinely devolve into Zack Snyder discussion, with two tribes willing to defend their ideology to the death. Apart from that, you can talk about any comic book movie you want, but if an actual active thread exists for the movie, it is appreciated that you move discussion there. For reference, here are upcoming comic book movies, organized by shared universe:

Marvel Cinematic Universe

Captain Marvel - March 8, 2019
Avengers: Endgame - May 3, 2019
Spider-Man: Far From Home - July 5, 2019
Black Widow - May 1, 2020
Unknown film - November 6, 2020
Unknown film - February 12, 2021
Unknown film - May 7, 2021
Unknown film - November 5, 2021

DC Extended Universe

Aquaman - December 21, 2018
Shazam! - April 5, 2019
Birds of Prey - February 7, 2020
Cyborg - April 3, 2020
Wonder Woman 1984 - June 5, 2020
Green Lantern Corps - July 24, 2020
Justice League Dark - TBD

X-Men film universe

Deadpool 2 - May 18, 2018
Dark Phoenix - June 7, 2019
The New Mutants - August 2, 2019
Gambit- March 13, 2020
-------EVERYTHING AFTER THIS IS UP IN THE AIR-------
X-Force - June 26, 2020
Multiple Man - October 2, 2020
Unknown film (Sliver Surfer?) - March 5, 2021

Valiant Comics film universe

Bloodshot - February 21, 2020
Harbinger - TBD
Harbinger sequel - TBD
Bloodshot sequel - TBD
Harbinger Wars - TBD
Archer & Armstrong - TBD
Shadowman - TBD

Others

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse - December 14, 2018
Alita: Battle Angel - February 14, 2019
Hellboy - April 12, 2019
Joker - October 4, 2019
Kingsman: The Great Game - November 8, 2019
Morbius - July 10, 2020
Venom 2 - October 2, 2020
Malignant Man - TBD
Rising Stars - TBD
Spawn reboot - TBD
Birthright - TBD

That's right, 2019 is the year where ten eleven planned comic book movies come out. Now, if the purchase of 21st Century Fox by the Walt Disney Company goes through, those X-Men movies will probably be folded into the MCU...somehow. Also, please refrain from making charts and graphs about why such-and-such movie is terrible, or talking about movies that are not comic book-related. This includes Charles Barkley chat (unless the Round Mound of Rebound is the new Spawn).

If I missed anything, please tell me and I'll add it to the OP.

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jan 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I, for one, am stoked as hell for Unknown Film (2020) and Unknown Film (2021)

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Errol Morris' The Unknown Film

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Unknown Film, or the 120 Days of Sodom

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I'm struck that DC has one 2018 film that we have to wait til December for and Marvel has three out by July.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

teen titans go to the movies is going to be the best comic book movie of 2018, calling it now

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

dont even fink about it posted:

I'm struck that DC has one 2018 film that we have to wait til December for and Marvel has three out by July.

A Harley and Joker remake of Bonnie and Clyde seems like it'd make roughly a hundred bajillion dollars.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Aquaman and New Mutants might be good, still waiting for anything at all from Black Iron Man that looks interesting.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

By an astonishing coincidence, by December, you'll remember nothing of the Marvel movies other than that you had no major problems with them.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Edward Mass posted:

That's right, 2019 is the year where ten planned comic book movies come out.
That 10 announced comicbook movies so far, there'll no doubt be plenty more announced during 2018.

Edward Mass posted:

Also, please refrain from making charts and graphs about why such-and-such movie is terrible

C'mon, that guy who was posting massive colour-coded charts comparing RT and imdb scores to prove that the DCEU is worse than the MCU was one of the highlights of the previous thread. :v:
Edit: it was Boob Marley and sadly all his image links are now broken as far as I can tell so we'll never see those beautiful graphs ever again. :(

Edward Mass posted:

If I missed anything, please tell me and I'll add it to the OP.

Alita: Battle Angel is another comicbook movie that is coming out in 2018

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jan 2, 2018

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Snowman_McK posted:

By an astonishing coincidence, by December, you'll remember nothing of the Marvel movies other than that you had no major problems with them.

If only Marvel movies could reach the sterling hights of "notoriously terrible"

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Snowman_McK posted:

Movie mental fiber, go down smooth

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

If only Marvel movies could reach the sterling hights of "notoriously terrible"

They did. With Iron Man 2 and Age of Ultron.

got any sevens posted:

Movie mental fiber, go down smooth

I have ingested my entertainment pill. It was good. I liked the jokes.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Edward Mass posted:

Valiant Comics film universe

Harbinger - TBD
Bloodshot - TBD
Harbinger sequel - TBD
Bloodshot sequel - TBD
Harbinger Wars - TBD
Archer & Armstrong - TBD
Shadowman - TBD

They announced back in '15 that they'd made a 5 film deal with Sony for a shared cinematic universe which was supposed to kick off in 2017:

quote:

BLOODSHOT, arriving in theaters in 2017, will kick off the five-picture plan leading to HARBINGER WARS and will be directed by David Leitch & Chad Stahelski (John Wick) from a script by Jeff Wadlow (Kick rear end 2) and Eric Heisserer (Story of Your Life). Neal H. Moritz and Toby Jaffe from Original Film (The Fast and the Furious franchise) and Dinesh Shamdasani from Valiant Entertainment will produce the film. Matthew Vaughn and Jason Kothari will serve as executive producers.
I checked the imdb listings for all those people and only the guys who work directly for Valiant Entertainment are still listed as being connected to the project so I wouldn't go holding my breath waiting for any of these films to ever hit a screen.

In the meantime they're releasing a digital series called Ninjak vs. the Valiant Universe in early 2018 (it was supposed to debut on youtube last year) which will feature most of their best known characters. It looks like it got financed and produced separately from the Sony film deal so it's supposed to be unrelated to the feature films, similar to how the DC comics TV shows are unrelated to the DCEU.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQcLClgLfkg
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninjak#Web_series

It features everyone's favourite Green Power Ranger/skydiving martial arts world record breaker Jason David Frank as Bloodshot which definitely means it won't be related to the Sony films at all because the probability that they'd pin their big budget cinematic shared universe's chances of success on that guy is exactly zero. He's no Robert Downey Jnr, that's for damned sure. :v:
Here's an article with photos of all the characters as depicted in the web series and ohhhhhh drat, it all looks awful.

And now you know way way way more about the Valiant Comics film universe than you ever wanted or needed to.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

C'mon, that guy who was posting massive colour-coded charts comparing RT and imdb scores to prove that the DCEU is worse than the MCU was one of the highlights of the previous thread. :v:
aaargh i had totally forgotten about that dude drat that was the best

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

In the meantime they're releasing a digital series called Ninjak vs. the Valiant Universe in early 2018 (it was supposed to debut on youtube last year) which will feature most of their best known characters. It looks like it got financed and produced separately from the Sony film deal so it's supposed to be unrelated to the feature films, similar to how the DC comics TV shows are unrelated to the DCEU.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQcLClgLfkg
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninjak#Web_series
man you know i could go for a revival of lovely white guy karate movies

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

TetsuoTW posted:

man you know i could go for a revival of lovely white guy karate movies

Scott Adkins already has a career though.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I am very excited to see my favorite action figures smash together on the screen

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I Before E posted:

i mean yeah but you know there's something missing when you compare that stuff to the 80s peak of white guy karate

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I Before E posted:

TetsuoTW posted:

i mean yeah but you know there's something missing when you compare that stuff to the 80s peak of white guy karate

Adkins has Savage Dog on Netflix right now, a tour de force in lovely white guy karate.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Adkins has Savage Dog on Netflix right now, a tour de force in lovely white guy karate.
Unfortunately Netflix Taiwan continues to loving eat poo poo and be missing basically anything interesting.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I hope the villain of the Teen Titans Go movie is a CGI Superman face.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

rare Magic card l00k posted:

I hope the villain of the Teen Titans Go movie is a CGI Superman face.
It's actually just all the actual footage of Cavill's mustache that they CGId out

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I just want to see this happen in the MCU.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Why is Superman so mad at Batman when they fight in Batman v. Superman?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Because he thinks that Batman is being a bad vigilante because he's mean to criminals. But Superman feels like he's being a good vigilante because he's nice. But then he furrows his brow a lot because now people think he's mean, too!

Then later he realizes he's been a hypocrite and maybe Batman is nice too. Then they become friends!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Because he didn't clap.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Who knows.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Because his mom is being held hostage and he just needs Batman to listen to him for a loving second but he won't do that and has a bunch of stupid traps and won't shut up.

Why wouldn't he be mad?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Because his mom is being held hostage and he just needs Batman to listen to him for a loving second but he won't do that and has a bunch of stupid traps and won't shut up.

Why wouldn't he be mad?

Okay, that makes sense. I haven't seen any of the movie besides the fight so I didn't know that context.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You should mention what you haven't seen. Without that context, people don't know you were looking for specific context.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah and Superman really does not like how Batman operates but is conflicted enough because of the good he does (did) that he largely leaves him alone.

The first time they interact Superman stops Batman in the middle of an out and out rampage. Batman has already fully decided he wants to kill Superman and Superman just wants him to stop hurting people. Later when they meet again Superman tries to apologize and ask for his help, but Batman is full speed ahead paranoia crazy train and just keeps attacking him.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Superman has largely stayed away from Batman because a) Batman has only recently gone completely nutso and b) Superman just went hog-wild drat-the-consequences in Africa and it blew up in his face, so he's tentative to make big bold gestures again.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Do we still have a separate thread for DC Animated movies? Or Marvel ones for that matter?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Superman has largely stayed away from Batman because a) Batman has only recently gone completely nutso and b) Superman just went hog-wild drat-the-consequences in Africa and it blew up in his face, so he's tentative to make big bold gestures again.

Whoa, what'd Superman do in Africa?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Hey K. Waste, loved your MoS video, particularly the Noah comparison.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Stopped the CIA from blowing a village to hell and saved Lois when they got her in hot water.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Saved Lois from a warlord and caused an international incident that was partially arranged by Lex to discredit Superman.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Lois gets in trouble and he shows up to save her. He charges into a lovely situation exacerbated by the CIA that's also a trap to frame him. He then gets to eat poo poo for a week while every dumbshit pundit drags him on television.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Walked into a trap orchestrated by Luthor designed to show how arbitrary Superman is when choosing whether to get involved with anything. The point was to make the public question Superman, and it worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Why wouldn't he be mad?

It's a shame Superman doesn't have a power that could keep him out of arms length long enough to explain

Halloween Jack posted:

Do we still have a separate thread for DC Animated movies? Or Marvel ones for that matter?

It's in BSS

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3784240&pagenumber=1