Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
BEST KONG
This poll is closed.
Donkey Kong 76 6.13%
Diddie Kong 75 6.05%
Dixie Kong 84 6.77%
Lankey Kong 129 10.40%
Funky Kong 189 15.24%
Mario 198 15.97%
Tiny Kony 65 5.24%
Candy Kong 61 4.92%
Chunky Kong 89 7.18%
Cranky Kong 125 10.08%
Wrinkley Kong (R.I.P.) :qq: 149 12.02%
Total: 719 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Mm, fresh cup of caffeinated tea.

No sleep until awful block ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
Anyone considering watching the Super Mario Sunshine run, let me convince you otherwise:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Sapozhnik posted:

undertale is a good game that absolutely deserves the hype but it does not work as a speed game at all so the decision to end the previous xGDQ with it was a rather strange one

I mean yeah it's not a great speed game, but the runner had such great commentary and the audience was so giddy, I found it impossible not to get caught up in the hoyp.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cory in the Blouse posted:

Anyone considering watching the Super Mario Sunshine run, let me convince you otherwise:

its short and engaging, expect great commentary

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
This guy literally wrote the Super Mario Sunshine Speedrun History: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oudZMniib08

(well, any% anyway)

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i've watched this for most of the time i've been up, now is as good a time as any to take a break

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
"I'm going to be collecting blue coins"

Oh

Gross

Sapozhnik posted:

undertale is a good game that absolutely deserves the hype but it does not work as a speed game at all so the decision to end the previous xGDQ with it was a rather strange one

It was entirely for the money.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oudZMniib08

the runner made this video about any%. if you like super mario sunshine or speed run histories this is a highly recommended one.

edit: beaten

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Cool, only 5 more minutes until the run starts.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
ive got 4 monsters, a bunch of hard cider, and some kraft shells n cheese on the way via prime now

awful snacks for awful games block, LETS-A GO

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Trash Boat posted:

Cool, only 5 more minutes until the run starts.

the timer has been on for a 1:30 already

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Ramos posted:

Mm, fresh cup of caffeinated tea.

No sleep until awful block ends.

:same:
Except coffee

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Pakled posted:

I mean yeah it's not a great speed game, but the runner had such great commentary and the audience was so giddy, I found it impossible not to get caught up in the hoyp.

i think a good speed game is one that you can watch having never played it before but still be entertained by the speedtech on display

if you've never played undertale before you won't have any idea what's going on but you'll still have all the really cool stuff completely ruined for you

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
3:00:57 is the WR. Trey is shooting for a sub-3:15:00.

Hoping for WR luck here

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
Eating lasagna for dinner well before the awful block is a great idea.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
and there isn't really any meaningful speed tech for UT anyway other than that punch card thing

i'm upset i missed watching bloodborne live :(

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Sapozhnik posted:

Undertale last year basically filled the "big JRPG ending run" slot, and did incredibly well both from a donation standpoint and from a crowd-pleasing standpoint ("HUG THE GOAT").

It's not a great speed game (IIRC it's basically one trick over and over to skip cutscenes), but it was such a popular game that they were going to have to play it at a GDQ at some point.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

HonorableTB posted:

ive got 4 monsters, a bunch of hard cider, and some kraft shells n cheese on the way via prime now

I wish I lived where Amazon would deliver within 2 hours. :smith:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Sapozhnik posted:

and there isn't really any meaningful speed tech for UT anyway other than that punch card thing

i'm upset i missed watching bloodborne live :(

bloodborne isn't until saturday though?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Sapozhnik posted:

Well they made a fuckload of money running it, so I think it's safe to say that was the logic behind the decision

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
I just don't wanna watch 3 hours of squirtyboy mario, I'm gonna watch the RE7 run I missed from yesterday

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Can't imagine why Nintendo cut back on voice acting in later games

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dope Shirt Trey!

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

bef posted:

the timer has been on for a 1:30 already

The joke is that the opening to Sunshine has a lot of unskippable cutscene. :ssh:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

I just don't wanna watch 3 hours of squirtyboy mario, I'm gonna watch the RE7 run I missed from yesterday

I have never seen/played any resident evil game and I hate jump scares. Will I like this run?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

axeil posted:

bloodborne isn't until saturday though?

oh sweet

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
insert joke about kangaroo court

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
Undertale was fun, but it was more because the runner was entertaining

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Trash Boat posted:

The joke is that the opening to Sunshine has a lot of unskippable cutscene. :ssh:

speedrunning isn't a joke, please understand

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
:lol: the crowd is quoting the cutscene

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

There should have been a Mario spin off of the Ace Attorney games.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!

axeil posted:

I have never seen/played any resident evil game and I hate jump scares. Will I like this run?

I think it has one and you can kinda see it coming, also the runner leans into the camera and laughs along with it. I dunno I haven't watched it, I just saw a highlight!

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

axeil posted:

The RE7 run is absolutely worth a watch. The runner / couch / commentary are spot on and the run isn’t that scary. He camera avoids the super gross part.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

I think it has one and you can kinda see it coming, also the runner leans into the camera and laughs along with it. I dunno I haven't watched it, I just saw a highlight!

onesixtwo posted:

The RE7 run is absolutely worth a watch. The runner / couch / commentary are spot on and the run isn’t that scary. He camera avoids the super gross part.

hm, okay thanks! i'll see how this sunshine run is going and if i get bored I'll load it up.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Sapozhnik posted:

It made like a quarter million dollars for charity

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

The Lobster posted:

I wish I lived where Amazon would deliver within 2 hours. :smith:

dude it fuckin rocks. not having to leave your apartment to get alcohol rules

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

HonorableTB posted:

4 monsters?

You mean like the energy drink? Jesus!

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

timp posted:

4 monsters?

You mean like the energy drink? Jesus!

absolutely

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo