Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
BEST KONG
This poll is closed.
Donkey Kong 76 6.13%
Diddie Kong 75 6.05%
Dixie Kong 84 6.77%
Lankey Kong 129 10.40%
Funky Kong 189 15.24%
Mario 198 15.97%
Tiny Kony 65 5.24%
Candy Kong 61 4.92%
Chunky Kong 89 7.18%
Cranky Kong 125 10.08%
Wrinkley Kong (R.I.P.) :qq: 149 12.02%
Total: 719 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

CharlestonJew posted:

This sunshine run is cool

Also congrats on the guy who got the Strider WR on his first day

I think it was the current WR holder who got it, but it was a new guy who discovered the skip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
god i love these secret levels

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

I Greyhound posted:

I want to take this moment to say that I am happy to call you all my speedfriends this week.

Same, I Greyhound. Same.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ramos posted:

But was it worth the wall blue coins?

Probably depends, since I never tried to get them all I'm now getting more joy from seeing them collected than I ever got irritated by them being dumb.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

I Greyhound posted:

I want to take this moment to say that I am happy to call you all my speedfriends this week.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

I Greyhound posted:

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

o7 friends

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I Greyhound posted:

:yayclod:

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Wind Waker HD any % has been ruined due to the discovery of an absurdly difficult trick based on batshit insane RNG that occurs at the very end of an hour and a half run.

that's the loving hover fairy trick, right?

what a stream watch killer that drat trick is

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

gently caress. I just learned this route!

I would honestly love it if they dropped a new Strider run in whereever since it takes less than five minutes.

There's time tomorrow after the awful block and Friday after the Mega Man relay where everything will already be set up and they can just sit someone down...

honestly that would be amazing and a fun way to say "hey since we did this thing, here's what we inspired someone to discover"

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

There's a video of the new Strider zip on twitter and it's amazingly easy. I'm going to get my time under five minutes right now. (okay probably six :smith:).

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Precisely hovering over to grab the bottom of that gate looked tricky

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Wind Waker HD any % has been ruined due to the discovery of an absurdly difficult trick based on batshit insane RNG that occurs at the very end of an hour and a half run.

Does OOT any% still do the RNG meteor stuff that ruined that one GDQ run

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Webbeh posted:

Yep. Its awful.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

speedfriends, should I go out and get a coffee in like an hour to prepare for awful block or should I just try to wing it? I have nothing happening tomorrow so that’s no concern

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Soup du Jour posted:

speedfriends, should I go out and get a coffee in like an hour to prepare for awful block or should I just try to wing it? I have nothing happening tomorrow so thats no concern

Yeah soup

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Corek posted:

Does OOT any% still do the RNG meteor stuff that ruined that one GDQ run

I havent seen an OOT any% run in a while but for the other categories there is a new strat that makes tower collapse skip a sure thing so its no longer a run killer. Im not sure if doing it as child link in any % factors in.

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Metroid sighting huh? Well, I did just pour this coffee...it will still be there tomorrow.

Soup du Jour posted:

speedfriends, should I go out and get a coffee in like an hour to prepare for awful block or should I just try to wing it? I have nothing happening tomorrow so that’s no concern

Awful block will be incredibly thrilling. I imagine no one could sleep while it is happening. But probably yes, since there will be downtime between runs when the hype might lower to dangerous sleep-inducing levels.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Webbeh posted:

So what does the trick involve?

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Yep. Its awful.

it's such a goddamn bum to watch WT pace get ruined by that going sour for no reason

neat looking trick, but jesus christ it's inconsistent

man SMS is such a fun run to watch. good music, good movements, good glitches.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Yep. Its awful.

tbf tho it's really funny to watch in my opinion. It looks so goddamn ridiculous and meanwhile everyone involved is on the edge of their seat just staring for like 90 seconds

C'mon you stupid loving fairy! GET OVER THEEEEEEEEERE

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1t3KTgd6Qz5c5PMPKSqdUjZmcq4EbsNPk5gGa0EIfkSo/edit#gid=1303272005

Going to sleep for a bit, but just to note, in an impressive reversal from just 13 hours ago, AGDQ has gone from 60/70k behind last years events to now 10k above :toot:

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

Ramos posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDtfY1WkKUI

1:25 for the moneyshot

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Ugh 3 hours no thanks.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

thanks guys, I’ll be doing my any% coffee run soon then. estimate at 15:00 right now

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Slickdrac posted:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1t3KTgd6Qz5c5PMPKSqdUjZmcq4EbsNPk5gGa0EIfkSo/edit#gid=1303272005

Going to sleep for a bit, but just to note, in an impressive reversal from just 13 hours ago, AGDQ has gone from 60/70k behind last years events to now 10k above :toot:

Need to give away more switches for 5 dollars.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Soup du Jour posted:

thanks guys, I’ll be doing my any% coffee run soon then. estimate at 15:00 right now

I think it's actually coffee%

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

I'm watching the tutorial now.

They need to have a tutorial every GDQ now, that's really neat.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

That's certainly some mix of absurd, horrible, and kind of silly looking.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Soup du Jour posted:

a thing I saw on Elementary once was that getting your blood pumping through some sort of physical activity helps not being tired

not saying like do a hundred squats, but like, a solid 20 and you'll stay up for a bit

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Ramos posted:

At the very end of the game there is a gap that would otherwise require the clawshot to cross. A trick called zombie hover allows you to cross gaps but in this case you had nothing that would save you from dying as soon as you landed making it impassible. The new trick is that by placing a pot with a fairy right under the door. So if you break the pot the fairy will fly out and has about a 2% chance of flying in the precise right path where you can zombie hover over the gap and hit it resurecting you and allowing you to continue. It's a run killer literally 95% of the time.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

Ramos posted:

Yep. Death floating after hitting some strategically placed pots, hoping a fairy heals you before you touch the ground.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

ElNarez posted:

a thing I saw on Elementary once was that getting your blood pumping through some sort of physical activity helps not being tired

not saying like do a hundred squats, but like, a solid 20 and you'll stay up for a bit

In other words, jack it.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Watching the Silent Hill goon run now, it's pretty awesome with entertaining commentary and worth a watch if you haven't seen it.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Ramos posted:

In other words, jack it.

while doing 100 squats

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY
i know i watch too many speedruns when i start to remember strats on games i watch but haven't played in 10+ years. speedruns rule.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ramos posted:

nnNNAAY!!

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
i appreciate how optimized sunshine is

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Back from my any% Monster run, I got WR in the potato chips and jerky route. While I was out I had the run going on my phone and the guy at the gas station was like, "Hey, I love Sunshine!" I told him they were trying to get 120 Shines in three hours and he goes, "JESUS! I could barely get half of them!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

grand theft grotto posted:

while doing 100 squats

sooo close to having sex at that point, yet so far away.

• Locked thread