Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i hope there's a five-page section about how hawke spoils someone's cheerios by pissing in them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

chumbler posted:

But will it achieve the lofty standard set by the Warcraft books?

I mean, not that I'd know what the Warcraft books were like.

I spent an audible credit on the Illidan audiobook based on a recommendation from a friend and it was one of the worst decisions of my life.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Noctone posted:

lol if you didn't dump hundreds of hours into PSO

I still listen to that music.

Propaganda Hour posted:

I spent an audible credit on the Illidan audiobook based on a recommendation from a friend and it was one of the worst decisions of my life.

According to people in the WoW lore thread, that book is bad by warcraft book standards.

Let that sink in.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

the last 100 pages are recycled with the ends of paragraphs slightly altered

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

fuckin cowards don't just credit Varric and nobody else

The White Dragon posted:

if i gave half a poo poo about dragon age 2's characters, i would've played dragon age 2

eat my ENTIRE rear end, da2 has flaws but the characters sure as gently caress don't number among them

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Ms Adequate posted:

fuckin cowards don't just credit Varric and nobody else

eat my ENTIRE rear end, da2 has flaws but the characters sure as gently caress don't number among them

'flaws' is putting it very mildly

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Andrast posted:

'flaws' is putting it very mildly

can't help but love it despite that

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Bioware suuuuucks

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Ms Adequate posted:

Merrill was a permanent benchwarmer because of how annoying she was and it's hard to like Isabela or Anders in hindsight given how their massive fuckups are what drives the plot.

The others were good though.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ms Adequate posted:

i already ate biowares entire rear end when i played mass effect 3 after da2 was bad

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Merrill was a permanent benchwarmer because of how annoying she was and it's hard to like Isabela or Anders in hindsight given how their massive fuckups are what drives the plot.

The others were good though.

Anders was Right and I will fight to the death anyone who disagrees. :colbert:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I like how Dragon Age 2 removed all shades of gray when it came to mages and straight up had the qunari be right; all mages will eventually just become ticking time bombs of demonic power so its best just to kill them, rip out their tongues, or lobotomize them.

DA2 was bad.

DA:O was flawed but its a good game that I still rather appreciate even though I'd much rather replay something like Pillars of Eternity and Witcher over it.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jan 11, 2018

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Accordion Man posted:

I like how Dragon Age 2 removed all shades of gray when it came to mages and straight up had the qunari be right; all mages will eventually just become ticking time bombs of demonic power so its best just to kill them, rip out their tongues, or lobotomize them.
How dare you say that mages are all dangerous! Why, I have no choice but to turn into an otherworldly hellbeast and attack you!

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I wish nearly every primary weapon in Dead Cells didn't feel worse than the balanced blade. I want to like the heavies, but they usually end up getting me dinged before I can finish the attack unless I have frost blast, and they're worthless in the air.

It is also entirely possible I suck and am playing too recklessly.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
“It would be funny if Bioware bottomed out into publishing fan fiction about their bad games while trying to make Destiny, But From EA,” I thought to myself, before realizing I had made this nightmare come to life by sheer thought alone

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
My favourite thing about SSX Tricky is when Run DMC crop up due to the tricks.
Wonderful! :D

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Which video game settings would you read a novel about?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Jay Rust posted:

Witcher books are popular iirc or do you mean the books are derived from the game like halo/doom novels and not the other way?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Jackal from konami would be a good read about jeep warfare

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I read the MGS1 novelization and instead of reading your memory Psycho Mantis makes Snake hallucinate about being a child at the circus or something. Also he sees the future and vaguely refers to MGS4.

I remember liking some of the Halo novels when I was like 15 but I have no idea how they hold up now.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Jay Rust posted:

I read an Uncharted novel once, it tried to get that pulpy vibe going and wasn't half bad.

Based on my fanfiction from my teenage years I would totally read a Phantasy Star novel

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I also read the first few .hack//IMOQ light novels. Having BlackRose be the focus character for those instead of Kite was actually a good choice. I wanna finish them before I play Last Recode.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Jay Rust posted:

I would read:

- Super Mario Brothers CYOA (I still own five books as they actually did release them :D)

- Planescape: Torment books. (I never played Planescape Torment, but I did read a .docx file that was the whole of the description & speech lifted from the game and arranged into a story. It was truly magnificent. I am glad I got to experience it in the best way for me as I am not very good at that style of game.)

- Quake and Quake II

- Horizon Zero Dawn

- Steamworld

- S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I read the Doom novel when I was a young kid because there was no way my parents would let me play actual Doom at the time and lemme tell you, that thing's a trip.

I would enjoy reading a DOOM 2016 novel but only if Doomguy remains conspicuously silent throughout and only communicates through various forms of punching.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

VideoGames posted:

- Super Mario Brothers CYOA (I still own five books as they actually did release them :D)

I've got a Sonic CYOA on my shelf right now! It was rubbish but it was more Sonic so I ate it up

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

VideoGames posted:

- S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Just read the book that the Tarkovsky movie, which inspired the game, is based on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roadside_Picnic

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Actually, I read real, actual books, for adults, that don’t rely on familiarity with a setting taken from a fantasy or sci-if video game, TV show or movie

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Jay Rust posted:

Actually, I read real, actual books, for adults, that don’t rely on familiarity with a setting taken from a fantasy or sci-if video game, TV show or movie

:thumbsup: Glad to hear you enjoyed Twilight!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I read the Myst books when I was younger and remember enjoying them, although I'm sure they wouldn't hold up much today.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
I read the Mega Man 2 Worlds of Power book back in the day. Pretty sure I got it at a school book fair. I can remember nothing about it except they took away Mega Man's gun on the cover art.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Unreal_One posted:

:thumbsup: Glad to hear you enjoyed Twilight!

I thought that was for teens?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
actually twilight is for the people who push their spouses down stairs and tell them to say they hit their head on a doorknob, which is an actual thing in twilight: the newest fanfic about the book of mormon

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I wonder if that made it into the movies

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i read a halo book once

it was ok

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I will read all kinds of books because I enjoy reading even more than playing video games. I write for pleasure and reading is a small part of that :D

I once read a book on the history of EVE online that included all our Goonswarm hijinx and that was fascinating!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i love to read books it's like meditation. sometimes you meditate about louis l'amour and sometimes you meditate about a monk who makes his vows to evade prosecution and then drinks, eats meat, and shits all over the temple in water margin

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Jay Rust posted:

Off the top of my head, Longest Journey, Shadow Hearts, Silent Hill, Kentucky Route Zero, and Legacy of Kain.

There's actually a good amount of cool video game settings you can draw good books from if you had a competent writer at the helm.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I only read lesbian romance novels on Kindle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Ms Adequate posted:

The characters in DA2 are all unlikable idiots. The only person who doesn't do something unbelievably stupid is the guard lady.

• Locked thread