Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

The Titanic posted:

the game Star Citizen is indeed a piece of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Honestly the best thing to come out of SC is AdzAdama's hilarious and weird as gently caress artwork. I hope he never stops.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

iospace posted:

It's a "girly drink", and therefore

the ultimate is zima and tab mixed together

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.

Solarin posted:

the ultimate is zima and tab mixed together

That combo is so girly I've heard it called grandmaster prancer.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Is 'the game' 'out' yet?

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game

Streetroller posted:

So Here's The Deal: I'm suing Chris Roberts for consumer fraud in small claims court.
Everything he's ever said will be used against him as a public figure, and his litany of LLC shell companies don't protect him.
He either comes to Jersey to defend himself, or get's a default judgment of being a fraud.

loving blow me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojx7VcbowYQ

Wow look at this.
Streetroller full burn. What a delight watch. Derek learn from this.
Streetroller you have much more charisma than any character who ever appeared on those ArV or whatever those Sandi's shows are called

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Golli posted:

http://www.derby.gov.uk/business/business-support-advice/degf/

D2 Enterprise Growth Fund – grants available to businesses across Derby & Derbyshire. This is a partnership between Derby City Council and Derbyshire County Council with funding from these two bodies and EU funding through D2N2.

Maybe?

That Derby office has been there for a few years and did have its own facebook page at one point, which iirc was a 'facial tech' studio or something like that.

One of the things with grants is that you need above x number of employees for example, or be exporting to qualify for them. When 30 odd vacancies were posted on indeed.co.uk for the Wilmslow studio the thought crossed my mind that they were expanding that office to qualify for a grant.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Paladinus posted:

Is 'the game' 'out' yet?

If you want a refund then yes

If you want a playable game then no

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Could someone with some corp strategy background chime in on wtf is CIG actually doing?

All these shell companies and buildings and teams all over the world and no game?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I’m posting drunk from in-Air wi-fi on-route to Moscow

star comrade, you are obligated by the ministry of spacedreams to hand over your rubles

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

no_recall posted:

Could someone with some corp strategy background chime in on wtf is CIG actually doing?

All these shell companies and buildings and teams all over the world and no game?
Have you ever heard of the "shell game"? It's exactly like that but with public liability.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

no_recall posted:

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
All I know is that it helps you move money around anon? That's about it. I don't see how CIG can play this game while making a game. Unless they aren't and the money is siphoned off. :shrug:

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

hades9 posted:

Is HADES still a MMO RTS like Novus?
Posted by Taitale Studios (Creator)

Yes.

That is it for today, see you for the next update!

- Nick, Matt, Dan, and Luuk

Website (under construction): http://www.hades9.com/
Discord: UNDER CONSTRUCTION
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Hades9Game/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Hades9Game
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCj6w867uhSKjwr3H3M55wBA
Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/hades9game

In the off chance this update did not clarify life, the universe, and everything for you, the below may. If not, do not panic! We are here, and happy to answer more!

Also, we are sorry that we keep spamming you guys with this, but you have no idea how many people keep asking wtf is going on. So check our first update of last year if you haven't yet: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2122031929/novus-aeterno-the-next-evolution-in-rts-games/posts/2073403

DESIGN RELATED

Q1: Is HADES 9 still an MMO?

A1: Yes, HADES 9 is definitely still an MMO. All players will be playing in the same single universe. The changes to HADES 9 have actually made it more of an MMO than Novus was. Now that players are not forced to keep to their empire in order to be able to defend it against aggression, they are able to go out and explore at will.

Q2: Is HADES 9 still a RTS?

A2: Yes. If anything, it is more of an RTS than Novus was. Now in HADES 9 your fleet is everything you own in space, so the battles are much more important and much more impactful, while in Novus you could win 50 engagements, but still not get much out of a war if you did not have the time to go all the way through with capturing a planet.

Basically what has changed is that the focus has shifted from owning planets and micromanaging the population on those planets, to commanding a fleet that acts as your mobile empire. This is comparable to the flotilla in Homeworld, and Battlestar Galactica, or the Quarian fleet in the Mass Effect series.

Q3: Is HADES 9 still openworld?

A3: Yes, However unlike Novus Aeterno is will not be procedurally generated, although on the surface it may seem great to have an endless procedurally generated universe when regularly ends up happening is that it's just all kinda the same and bland. Infiltrators who played the alpha of Novus will remember this if they ever explored. To solve this problem we will be hand building the universe of HADES 9, which allows us to add a lot more character and unique elements to it. The overall world will be much larger per player on the server than Novus was, however, it will not be one single flat plain of solar systems, instead, it will be a chaotic mess of ruins of a burning galaxy. With choke points in the form of wormholes and jump gates, and unique areas hidden away to explore.

Evolution of space visuals, from NAE to H9
Evolution of space visuals, from NAE to H9

Q4: Is the HADES 9 universe Seamless?

A4: Yes and no, depending on your definition. There should not be any immersion breaking loading screens in the game still, but the universe will not be a single endless map like it used to be in Novus.
We found that this made making an interesting sci-fi environment very complicated. Because it was so vast, it quickly became quite bare with some interesting things scattered about. This meant that you would just want to FTL jump everywhere since there was nothing much to see.

Our new world maps will still be huge (it can take hours to travel through with your fleet), but they will be hand designed. The main advantage is that we can make the maps much more interesting to journey through and explore, without bare patches or the need to make every square centimeter packed with interesting "Stuff".

So we settled on lots of massive maps with the core “interesting thing” around the center of the map, with jump gates scattered around the more central area, ~10 min apart from each other.
With this we can remove FTL, and make the exploration of space much more beautiful, engaging, and set the stage for epic engagements and whole alliances try to hold off choke point maps.

All of these design decisions for the universe were made to support much more engaging and rewarding exploration. What we learned from Novus was that visiting 1000 unique systems that all had 1-3 stars, 4-15 planets, and some other junk lying around did not make for “fun” exploration, even if “technically” every single one was different. Although procedural generation can be great, it can't really be used to tell a story with the environment, and that's what we want to do with space.

Q5: What can we expect to encounter out in space?

A5: Not only will you encounter many other players out in space, there will also be NPC fleets roaming the galaxy. Depending on your diplomatic abilities and allegiances you may be able to make friends and trade with some of these fleets. However, like wounded dogs, some others will resort to the sword much faster than the pen.

Q6: What function serves the Bridge?

A6: It serves multiple functions:

It provides a location for many of the UI's in the game. We found that it was much easier and more comfortable to use UI's when they were spread out over a (limited) area, instead of having them stacked in massive and complex UI trees on your HUD.
The bridge provides a logical location for the player to interact with the immense crew, and specifically the commanders of the ship, to immerse the player even more. These crew members can also share lore, bits of their own background, etc. as the Admiral becomes more comfortable with them.
Leaders need people to lead. This is one of the main reasons. It is very hard to feel like a leader -to embrace your role and responsibilities- if you can't see the faces or hear the reactions from those under your command.
It helps fix "travel boredom". One of the cliches of both MMOs and space sims is that you often need to travel incredibly long distances to get where you want to go. This can be fairly boring, being able to explore the inside of your ship and interact with your crew while your ship is underway keeps the game engaging and smooths out some of the less eventful segments.
You can't deny, it is pretty cool to watch a massive fleet engagement from the bridge of a capital ship :P.
Click for a higher res version
Click for a higher res version

Q7: Why are you focusing so much dev time inside the capital ship instead of on THE GAME!?!?

A7: Actually, we are focusing most of our time on the RTS/space elements of the game. The reason we show the inside of the capital ship more in screenshots, or have more updates about it is because it's much easier to make progress on it than space / RTS gameplay. Right now the only developer working on the RPG environments is me, Nick, and its because I'm not a skilled programmer, able to help with the RTS gameplay. So focusing less on the RPG environment would not make the RTS develop any faster, it would just give me more free time

DEVELOPMENT RELATED

Q1: How will you fund the Development of HADES 9?

A1: There are 2 options we are looking at now, which we will want your feedback on:

We go to a publisher, I feel fairly confident that this game could attract a publisher. It's shiny, and they like shiny. However, the publisher would take over the monetization, meaning a good chance it will end up *despite our best efforts* being some form of f2p / lootbox thingy. I say this because that's how every monetization conversation ended with our old publisher.
Or, we can self-publish it, gathering the funding via some sort of founders program. Personally, I and the other 3 devs prefer this idea as we are sick of “game design” meetings turning into “monetization” meetings. However, this is only possible if you guys, our backers are supportive of this direction. (I do not mean financially supportive, I mean you are willing to spread the word and be the foundation of a healthy community.)
These 2 roads will be discussed more in upcoming updates. However, it is a decision we all need to make together, as it will affect all of us. Even those people who think we are the devil incarnate and just want refunds to buy voodoo dolls of us. If we go with a publisher I guarantee they will not be giving the refunds out of their %, so we will out of ours, which will probably be only about ~35% of profits. Meaning it will take us a lot longer to get everyone refunds as we only have ~35% of the net profit to put towards refunds instead of all of it.

P.s. It may sound like I am biased against the publisher option, because I am. I really don't want to go down that road again. However, in the update where we go into more detail on this, I will try to be a fair and unbiased as possible when introducing the pros and cons of each option.

^^^^^ This is a important one for everyone to start thinking about ^^^^

Q2: When can we get into the game?

A2: Development is moving fairly quickly, my estimation is that at the end of Q1, or early Q2, we will have pre-alpha ready for Infiltrators. However the point above (going with publishers or independent) does have an impact on this as these kinds of schedules are normally set by them, not the developer.

Q3: Will we keep rewards if we backed the NAE kickstarter?

A3: Yes! As far as possible we will transfer all your rewards over to HADES 9. For the less straightforward rewards we working with all the backers to find a suitable replacement.

This is a complicated issue that will be dealt with personally and on a case by case basis with some of the more complicated rewards/addons.

Also just as a reminder for those who didn't read the previous updated (you really should, a lot has happened) If you are not pleased with the new game we will be offering refunds out of launch profits, our sole objective here is to try and recover from a long hosed up journey and do right by our backers in whatever way possible.

So, this spacegame I backed is becoming an MMO where you manage Fleets of ships.

OK, isn't a Star Citizen's wet dream, right here?

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

EmesiS posted:

Admittedly I was very moved by Streetrollers video and for unknown reasons I am quite emotional about it. The best I could do is offer some word salad which would likely appear as self aggrandizement more than the praise I would like to articulate.
The best I can do, and feeling compelled to do so, is to say that I am impossibly proud of you and your effort.

I want to +1 this, I feel the same way. It's one of those speaking the plain truth moments and I think it will resonate with a lot of people.

A buddy of mine said he felt like watching it 100 times over, without even knowing much about star citizen other than it's a shitshow.

My wife watched it from start to finish and she's sick of hearing about star citizen. Most of the references and names mentioned went over her head and she sat there glued and laughed when Street offered his 5 words.

It's because his message goes beyond the project into the wider topic of honest to goodness right and wrong. Or something like that.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

DapperDon posted:

I am going to :toxx: that I make the BEST biscuits and gravy there is.

Im expecting your dish to change my mind. Bisquits and gravy are gross until yours manages ti grace my plate.

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe

Abuminable posted:

Although Amway is an evil MLM, at least when you are done destroying your finances and relationships, you have a garage full of Nutrilite, L.O.C. and SA8 you can actually use.

That's unfair. You could use the JPEGs as wallpaper. You just need to provide your own paper, ink, printing equipment, and electricity.

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Ponzi posted:

That's unfair. You could use the JPEGs as wallpaper. You just need to provide your own paper, ink, printing equipment, and electricity.

Not possible. All of the tangible items were liquidated to buy more JPEGs.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Dusty Lens posted:

Bootcha Where's More Sunk Cost Galaxy

Maybe Bootcha got C&D'd and TheAgent was his warrant canary? :shrug:

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Yeah. I cannot imagine a scenario where Star Citizen is released and seen as anything other than a huge disappointment. There is no game that could possibly live up to the expectations Star Citizen has set. Even if Roberts delivers on 100% of everything he promised, it will fall well short of what his fans have built it into in their minds.

That is why I think it will actually not release formally (at least not in the near future) and instead at most will take the shape of some kind of formal Early Access, a la DayZ.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Bootcha is furiously rebalancing all the sound channels.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

MedicineHut posted:

That is why I think it will actually not release formally (at least not in the near future) and instead at most will take the shape of some kind of formal Early Access, a la DayZ.

This is pretty much what Shitizens are claiming in response to any sort of criticism, too. Only it's not "early access" (because that's poo poo only the big bad publishers do), they're calling it "MMO". WoW's development never stopped either!

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Wise Learned Man posted:

Maybe Bootcha got C&D'd and TheAgent was his warrant canary? :shrug:

I'm inclined to think so. Bootcha had a steady clip going and now he's not even teasing a new chapter. NDAs are keeping this thing afloat; if people could talk, it'd be sunk tomorrow with a couple of Polygon interviews.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I don't have any real legal knowledge but how could CIG C&D Bootcha's vids?

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Milky Moor posted:

I don't have any real legal knowledge but how could CIG C&D Bootcha's vids?

Not his videos themselves, but he was an actual investor in CIG at one point, very sheepishly informed the thread that he had made some inquiries and demanded his stake back some years ago, and IIRC said he couldn't explain further because of an NDA he signed to get his money back.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

it's just taking a while, you guys

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Say you aren't C&D'd, Bootcha.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

hes gotta prepare a succulent meal while making a video, that business takes TIME

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

XK posted:

Say you aren't C&D'd, Bootcha.

Check his latest posts to see if he didn't use the letters C or D. Also check if he used a suspicious amount of them.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

If he doesn't respond to that, consider it the canary.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Wise Learned Man posted:

Not his videos themselves, but he was an actual investor in CIG at one point, very sheepishly informed the thread that he had made some inquiries and demanded his stake back some years ago, and IIRC said he couldn't explain further because of an NDA he signed to get his money back.

him divesting from clown stimperium sort of indirectly confirmed a lot of what the escapist article claimed about horrible treatment of employees. That was my take on it at least

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Milky Moor posted:

Check his latest posts to see if he didn't use the letters C or D. Also check if he used a suspicious amount of them.

Maybe his keyboard isn't finished yet. You don't understand keyboard development.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

haven't seen a pube joke in a while

XK
Jul 9, 2001

alf_pogs posted:

hes gotta prepare a succulent meal while making a video, that business takes TIME

He overcooked that steak. Sad!

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.christiantoday.com/article/star-citizen-news-alpha-version-3-0-allegedly-disappointing-full-game-might-follow-suit/123394.htm

:ohdear:

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Milky Moor posted:

He could be using Morse Code in his punctuation like MoMA used to do.

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

thatguy posted:

He could be using Morse Code in his punctuation like MoMA used to do.

There could be links in his punctuation like our pal Jester used to do.

e: I'll add that I hope Hell is real and all the people who were cruel to StreetRoller on yt go there.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/dataspikecast/status/951311230257565696

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

When Sidlangan Natividad from Christian Today loses faith in Star Citizen, all is truly lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XK
Jul 9, 2001

:lol:

What the gently caress is this?

A third hand article, narrated to someone's mom, then ran through translate?

My faith in "Christian Today" is shook.