Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Fart City posted:

Here’s one thing stupid that’s been bugging me: why isn’t Luke using his ROTJ lightsaber when he confronts Kylo Ren on Crait? A: he hasn’t had any real attachment to his father blade for decades at this point, and B: why doesn’t it immediately tip Kylo off that something is wrong?. Anakin’a lightsaber is a major maguffin in TFA. Kylo Ren absolutely knows what it looks like. And at this point he’s seen it be destroyed first hand in Snoke’s throne room. I’ve yet to see any kind of satisfactory explanation for it.

Do we see the green saber in the movie outside the flashback? I don't remember. I assumed it was destroyed then or Luke left it behind or tossed it in with his X Wing or whatever.

There were many things that should have tipped Kylo off, but his obsession was clouding his judgement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I kind of wished that we panned to Luke's empty robes to say that he showed up to everyone he loved as a force ghost instead of a projection. That would have been super rad.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I also wished Leia would have died way earlier, it just seemed I dunno, I feel morbid, because I kept just watching her, waiting for when they "cut her out" When did she kick it, I wondered in my seat like a healthy normal person. When did they finally remove her??

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Turtlicious posted:

I kind of wished that we panned to Luke's empty robes to say that he showed up to everyone he loved as a force ghost instead of a projection. That would have been super rad.

That would have been neat but I think the cut to him meditating was insanely good and worth keeping. Also the idea of him doing some powerful force poo poo that doesn't involve violence is cool and better than him just doing a force ghost which even obi wan can do and obi wan sucks.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Turtlicious posted:

I also wished Leia would have died way earlier, it just seemed I dunno, I feel morbid, because I kept just watching her, waiting for when they "cut her out" When did she kick it, I wondered in my seat like a healthy normal person. When did they finally remove her??

They should have combined Leia and the Hodor chick and make Leia the hero who stays on the ship to sacrifice herself. It's easy to play up the conflict between Leia and Poe, just say some one is leaking Rebel locations or whatever.

Disney is going to give lousy exits to Han/Luke/Leia.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tender Bender posted:

That would have been neat but I think the cut to him meditating was insanely good and worth keeping. Also the idea of him doing some powerful force poo poo that doesn't involve violence is cool and better than him just doing a force ghost which even obi wan can do and obi wan sucks.

I didn't think about that I'm with you on it right now.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hope Kylie and Hux get down and dirty.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Tender Bender posted:

On a rewatch I notice that Kylo foreshadowed Luke doing this and dying as a result. He thought that was what Rey was doing and told her the effort would kill her.

Turns out it'd kill literally anyone. BOOM!

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
"Size matters not."

The effort wouldn't kill you...

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You’re a big guy....

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CelticPredator posted:

You’re a big guy....

For you!

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

whatever7 posted:

They should have combined Leia and the Hodor chick and make Leia the hero who stays on the ship to sacrifice herself. It's easy to play up the conflict between Leia and Poe, just say some one is leaking Rebel locations or whatever.

Disney is going to give lousy exits to Han/Luke/Leia.

...is?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Ask Rey if getting caught was part of her plan

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Corky Romanovsky posted:

"Size matters not."

The effort wouldn't kill you...

These sentences are unrelated.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Steve2911 posted:

On a rewatch I notice that Kylo foreshadowed Luke doing this and dying as a result. He thought that was what Rey was doing and told her the effort would kill her.

Turns out it'd kill literally anyone. BOOM!

I mean, anyone except for Snoke.

Who can apparently connect people across a galaxy without them even knowing, to the point of influencing them while training under a Jedi Master.

How? Well, it's a secret.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
He's a Force wifi booster. The end.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

The scene was uploaded on reddit as a gif. You know which one.

https://i.imgur.com/lMNLmTB.mp4

You know, as much as I dislike everything else about that scene, drat if it didn't look loving awesome.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
we BAYHEM now boys!!!!

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Not sure why I didn’t think of it at the time but seeing that again, someone clearly likes anime

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's so gundam

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I thought dead silence in the theatre was also very effective.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Well I predict Disney will give Leia even worse exit in e.9 than Force Marypopin.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Unoriginal Name posted:

Who can apparently connect people across a galaxy without them even knowing, to the point of influencing them while training under a Jedi Master.

Luke disconnected himself from the force. He couldn't sense poo poo.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It is, unless you're sitting next to some dummy going "Where did the sound go?" or "Badaaam!" or whatever. I imagine that would ruin the effect.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It was undercut the first time I saw it by a guy behind me going, "Aw, fook, she fookin' got all 'a them in one go, fook!"

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
After having deep, human relationships with R2D2 and C3PO, Luke absconded with some other astromech droid and left it to rot in his sunken x-wing.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Unoriginal Name posted:

Kylo was talking about Rey projecting herself, not connecting minds through the force. Snoke didn't force project and Luke had intentionally blinded himself.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Unoriginal Name posted:

Yeah, and look how healthy that guy looked, his dangerous force use certainly had no negative effects on his body.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Unoriginal Name posted:

The difference between what Snoke did and what Luke did is basically the difference between facetiming from one iphone to another ipohne, and facetiming from one iphone to a potato. It's not a stretch that connecting two already highly force-sensitive people in a purely mental fashion would be easier than projecting an actually physically visible and audible projection into real space.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Luke disconnected himself from the force. He couldn't sense poo poo.

That too gets undercut in the film. He uses the force to break his fall when Rey tries to whack him with her staff.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

It was undercut the first time I saw it by a guy behind me going, "Aw, fook, she fookin' got all 'a them in one go, fook!"

This is why I actively try to only see movies in the middle of the day, alone, weeks after the movie has come out. Sweet lord.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I've lived in some really lovely places and watched movies at a lot of really lovely theaters, and I have a hard time remembering many cases sharing the theater with especially disruptive theater goers.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Huh, really? Any big mall theater with a lot of teenagers is going to make you question your sanity

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Captain von Trapp posted:

That too gets undercut in the film. He uses the force to break his fall when Rey tries to whack him with her staff.

Isn't the first time he uses the Force again when he reaches out and makes contact with Leia?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

thrawn527 posted:

Isn't the first time he uses the Force again when he reaches out and makes contact with Leia?

Captain von Trapp posted:

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

Bruceski posted:

Gungans live for about 60 years. Jar-Jar's been dead for decades.

In my theory, he's a Sith grand-master, therefore has some control over death ;-)

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I went to a theater a couple of years ago, and some lady at the end of my row smuggled in what was either expired ranch chicken wings, or a tuna-filled baby diaper. The weird thing is that it would come in waves. Just when you forgot it was there, the stench would fall upon you like a black, cloying blanket of death.

There is a part of me that never left that room.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Yes, I saw it, I quoted it. I'm saying isn't this after he reached out to Leia while she was in a coma, so we know he's using the Force again?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It must be a cultural thing. My brother saw Guardians of the Galaxy with me in a cinema in Ireland and the audience was into it, but mostly subdued; basically chuckling a bit at the jokes. But he'd seen it earlier in the year when he went to America and later on he told me the American audience he'd seen it with were going ballistic over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He also uses the force to spear fish. But I think that's more like being a mutant than the more spiritual sense he was referring to .

• Locked thread