Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

abigserve posted:

Dog I think you are wrong about how easy it is to locate people with suppressors unless you never shoot anyone over 100 meters away.

Long range firefights happen all the time in my games, yeah it alerts people to your position but that's pretty fun, I actually don't know how you'd play PUBG if you aren't shooting every person as soon as you have a shot on them because close range firefights are a clusterfuck of lag/desync

I'm not wrong because I can do it and I'm nowhere near as good as some goons are at pubg. I take every smart fight possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OatBoy
Nov 18, 2004

What can I say, it's my nature
Man sometimes this game can be pretty funny. I was not sure I wanted to play another game before bed, but I decided to do one more and I dropped those Miramar eastern island just to see what was there. Suffice to say I came away with a K98 and an UMP and no optics or boosts and a super lovely circle. I couldn't find a vehicle so I spent like three circles running for my life. I ended up in the top 22 without seeing anyone and with no optics so I decided to hunt whoever I could hear shooting to try to acquire a scope and ended up with a 7 kill dinner.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

PSA:

I missed both of these shots and lost the game because I forgot weapons are zeroed at 100m and I was at 60m. Aiming uphill also means you need to lower your aim a bit, which made the problem worse. My bullets just flew by right above the target.

Ballistics matter :eng101:

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

If I post before 5pm PST, PM my boss and tell him I'm fired.

Elman posted:

PSA:

I missed both of these shots and lost the game because I forgot weapons are zeroed at 100m and I was at 60m. Aiming uphill also means you need to lower your aim a bit, which made the problem worse. My bullets just flew by right above the target.

Ballistics matter :eng101:

Ahhhhh, that explains a lot. It was so baffling at the time.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

underage at the vape shop posted:

the players with the best aim on the planet take the attachments that help them aim even better is the lesson you should take from that

Not all top level players will skip the suppressor. Especially in solos.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I choose between the Suppressor and Compensator depending on the situation. If I have both I'll keep both and switch on the fly. Does the enemy know where I am? Can I take shots while they're trading? Am I likely to run into someone as soon as I cross this corner? Do I know their exact position and if so their distance? And so on.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

keyframe posted:

I don't know. In my experience people can't pinpoint suppressors as accurately as they can unsuppressed. You fire a unsuppressed shot and everyone in a mile radius knows where you are. I have played around people using suppressed weapons and got chicken dinners. At the end of the day use whatever you want. I will be hunting for suppressors still. :3:

In top 3% Duo FPP they are still confusing a lot of players. We just transferred to FPP last week due to all the cheating. Absolutely keep a compensator for when the distances are too low but a lot of players are bad at locating the direction unless they see you.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
It's really easy to get disoriented when under fire from a suppressed weapon I think due to the bow break/crack of the bullet landing/passing/wounding you being much louder than the shot. If you can keep your head perfectly or are not the one under fire it's easy to find the shooter but as people are saying it's still a great attachment that gets dinners in plenty of situations.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
These people sure had a lot of trouble finding me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWz36sjEh2Q

They didn't it turns out. Watching the replay the last guy certainly should have but didn't.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Wooper posted:

They didn't it turns out. Watching the replay the last guy certainly should have but didn't.

Does anyone have actual numbers on hearing distance with suppressors? VulgarAndStupid stated a couple of pages back that SRs can be heard for 1km without suppressor, and ARs 700m.
If that was a 4x scope (it's ACOG so I suppose it was?), I think those guys were no more than 300 meters out - is it possible they couldn't hear your rifle at all at that distance?

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
Pretty sure suppressors half the distances

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
They are at most 2 map squares away going by the minimap.

edit: so 200m? plus change for elevation

Wooper fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jan 11, 2018

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Wooper posted:

lol the second guy just prones out like a doofus, beautiful

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The B_36 posted:

uhhhh......yeah? I don't see what you're referring to that's confusing in my response to it.

i said the gaps would still be there but shorter. you responded as if that read the gaps would be gone.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010
I'll always use a SR suppressor, even with the SKS and mini since a comp doesn't change much and suppressors are cool (suppressed m24 with a quickdraw mag is the most satisfying thing ever to use ever).

The problem for me is with the AR suppressors where I'm never really in a setup situation where I find them useful. I run AR's for close range most of the time and here a comp is just too good not to use. If my long range gun is also an AR I'll slap a suppressor on that no problem but most of the time I will run a shotgun for super close and swap scopes on the AR for long ranges instead of picking up a 2nd AR. I guess I could swap a suppressor also but meh.

For SMG's a suppressor is a no-brainer though. gently caress SMG's though.

Hulebr00670065006e fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jan 11, 2018

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Arkangelus posted:

Have the devs actually given a reason for removing zeroing from the 2x and 4x? Really annoying change.
Also did parachuting change at all? I can't tell if its the elevation differences on Miramar, me just being bad, or something else but I'm having a lot less trouble landing exactly where I want without adjustments. Previously, I was using the bomb towards the ground at roughly ~300m from target.

Neither of those sights are meant to be zeroed.
The 4x ACOG offers steps so that you can use each step for adjusting on the fly without having to zero, and the 2x aimpoint is really only useable for such a short distance that 100m is all it’s good. In gameplay terms it could’ve retaines the zero option, but at least the 4x is legitimately better now allowing you to quickly get center mass hit at any of the distances.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

because in pus mind supressors should be good, but in actuality, they aren't. devs make balance mistakes all the dang time. If you just look at the concept, supressors sound really good, but they don't work like that in game.

the players with the best aim on the planet take the attatchments that help them aim even better is the lesson you should take from that

its pretty telling that there are no reasons to say supressors are good other than nuh-UH

lol supressors are incredibly good and the top streamers take them all the time. i don't know what you're talking about.

Bouchehog
Dec 19, 2002

The Campaign for Badger Rights

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Does anyone have actual numbers on hearing distance with suppressors? VulgarAndStupid stated a couple of pages back that SRs can be heard for 1km without suppressor, and ARs 700m.
If that was a 4x scope (it's ACOG so I suppose it was?), I think those guys were no more than 300 meters out - is it possible they couldn't hear your rifle at all at that distance?

WackyJacky101 has:

... Most of the reason supressors suck is because they don't give you much in the ranges you actually want to be using a gun. For the cost of it taking longer to kill people with one, they make a more muffled noise that good players can and will use to figure out where you are.
This is based on the erroneous assumption that suppressors reduce damage, which in this game does not happen: AR Suppressors / SR Suppressors. The trade off with the compensator is mostly one of the controllability of the recoil vs telegraphing your sound to other players (your taget or the local murk goblins).

Suppressors give a 5% accuracy bonus as well as noise reduction. The AR Compensator / SR Compensator give:
- 25.00% Recoil Pattern
- 10.00% Horizontal Recoil
- 15.00% Vertical Recoil
- 10.00% Spread Base (AR only, doesn't apply to SRs)

Elentor posted:

I choose between the Suppressor and Compensator depending on the situation. If I have both I'll keep both and switch on the fly. Does the enemy know where I am? Can I take shots while they're trading? Am I likely to run into someone as soon as I cross this corner? Do I know their exact position and if so their distance? And so on.
This is absolutely the answer. I usually run with the suppressor on my gun in the open or if I've got the drop on my target but then switch to the compensator before entering buildings or the final circles. I treat it like the 4x and red dot and ususally change both at the same time.

Hulebr00670065006e posted:

I'll always use a SR suppressor, even with the SKS and mini since a comp doesn't change much and suppressors are cool (suppressed m24 with a quickdraw mag is the most satisfying thing ever to use ever).

The problem for me is with the AR suppressors where I'm never really in a setup situation where I find them useful. I run AR's for close range most of the time and here a comp is just too good not to use. If my long range gun is also an AR I'll slap a suppressor on that no problem but most of the time I will run a shotgun for super close and swap scopes on the AR for long ranges instead of picking up a 2nd AR. I guess I could swap a suppressor also but meh.

For SMG's a suppressor is a no-brainer though. gently caress SMG's though.
I will usually use the flash hider for the Kar98K instead as it's so loud suppressed anyway. Earlier in the thread someone said that the suppressor also hides the flash, which I will need to check out. If that is the case then I'll always run with a suppressor on that gun. For the other SR it's a no-brainer. The mini-14 benefits more from the compensator than the other guns (the SKS is ok with it) and is the only SR when I sometimes run with both. The comp is useless on the bolt-action SRs.

I also agree in respect of the SMGs. They're all pretty terrible over 50m and so the suppressor doesn't add a great deal.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Bouchehog posted:

Earlier in the thread someone said that the suppressor also hides the flash, which I will need to check out.

Completely hides the flash. You have zero muzzle flash using a suppressor. That's the #1 reason to use one- the help to your aim and reduced sound is a bonus.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

the enemy will be shooting too, and unless you're an idiot/new, they are going to be nearby because long range firefights are a very bad idea in this game.

Right and at anything other than CQB fights at under 50m-100m, anyone running toward the gunfight will run towards the people who are shooting at you, rather than running at you.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Lol they reduce your damage cause you miss more dude. Supressors arent good.

Its 5050 who they run into first either way

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
I was kept quiet for a couple of days but I plan on compensating for it by playing video games all day and streaming them. Tune in for flashy plays: https://www.twitch.tv/lexneville

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

keep digging that hole.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Bouchehog posted:

This is based on the erroneous assumption that suppressors reduce damage, which in this game does not happen: AR Suppressors / SR Suppressors.
Thanks for the numbers on audible distances!

I might add that this is how suppressors work in real life, too. They actually increase the muzzle velocity slightly, due increasing the effective length of the barrel. Ie more of the gas expansion force is used to propel the bullet, and less force is expended sideways at the muzzle. I doubt PUBG model it as a velocity increase but if they did, it would accuracy through less bullet drop.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Someone in Discord said you basically have 4 ranges to worry about. 100/300/700/1000. Snipers are audible to 1000 but only 700 surpressed. ARs 700, 300 suppressed. SMGs 300/100. Who really cares what pistols are? The thing is though, suppressors both lower the range and the volume of a gun. So even if you can still technically hear my silenced AR at less than 300m, it’s still a much quieter noise and less likely to be picked up over other action. You gotta find what works best for you, though. Personally I’d comp over suppressor on the AK.

Also, what is the silencer’s accuracy buff? All guns are lasers on their first shot, how does it make any difference?

VulgarandStupid fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jan 11, 2018

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
Doesn't the distance that you can hear a shot depend on the initial volume AND on the person's ears also? Like if I have super strong ear muscles I could hear an SR from 10,000 meters, as an example. Let's not forget all the key variables gentlemen this is science.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Lol this thread and its all or nothing attitude (and lack of reading comprehension):

“That guy just had good aim and awareness, that doesn’t mean he’s cheating.”

Goon: “That doesn’t mean *no-one* cheats! You must not play at my level where they are rampant :smug:.

“That guy was totally wallhacking and aimbotting.” *shows clip of obvious cheater*

Goon: “That doesn’t mean *everyone* cheats! Quit blaming all your losses on cheaters.”

“Man a smaller map would be nice to shorten the gaps between fights.”

Goon: “There should still be gaps between fights! Go back to Call of Duty.”

Dyz fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jan 11, 2018

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
You were in the back of a noisy rear end plane with people yelling China # 1 in your ear for the last x hours - regardless of how strong your ear muscles are your hearing ain't going to be great for at least a few days.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
You don't have to blame your losses on cheaters...even when someone who is cheating kills you.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

You should at least clarify and say suppressors are worse than flash hiders/comps on automatic weapons since that’s what you mean.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
A cool thing I did, probably my second best shot ever in this game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAv6SNqv-CQ

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I blame my losses on sucking. That being said, I got three kills in solo the other night and was happy for it.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Supressors are good and lol if you don't take them.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I do not use suppressors because they make my guns sound stupid and wimpy and that is utterly unacceptable.

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.
I think this game could benefit from a smaller map, maybe even a giant indoor map could be fun, something like a sports stadium complex or shopping mall. I've played Counter Strike for years, and this game really captures the intensity when you're indoors, both in terms of time to kill and using your ears. It's not like this game is going to turn into Call of Duty (or Counter Strike for that matter) if they release another map, I'm all for it.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
So I tried reporting my cheater on the official channel, the support ticket tracker. I guess the email I got says a lot -- just use the in game report button from now on.

quote:

Hello Survivor,

Thanks for taking time to contact PUBG support.

It looks like you have encountered cheaters/hackers in the game. 

We apologize for the frustration from the experience and our team is working on blocking out those users and cheats and improving our systems to detect those. Unfortunately, it isn't something that can be quickly done, but we assure you that we are focused on removing any users who are creating an unfair gaming environment. 

The best option to report those users is with the in-game report system as that will report these issues directly to our team. 
We ask that you continue to use that system in the game for quicker reporting for any future reports.

We will, however, forward the mentioned issue here to our team to investigate and they will handle the case accordingly with our terms and services.

We will continue to work towards creating a fair gaming environment for all our players and hope that you can continue to enjoy playing our game.

PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS
---------------------------------------------
NOT JUST A GAME, THIS IS BATTLE ROYALE 

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

So I tried reporting my cheater on the official channel, the support ticket tracker. I guess the email I got says a lot -- just use the in game report button from now on.

"Please, would you just go away. Use the untrackable report system so that you'll never know if we actually did anything. Because we probably didn't, that poo poo takes effort, and a hacker's money is just as good as your money. Perhaps even better!"

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Vahakyla posted:

Neither of those sights are meant to be zeroed.
The 4x ACOG offers steps so that you can use each step for adjusting on the fly without having to zero, and the 2x aimpoint is really only useable for such a short distance that 100m is all it’s good. In gameplay terms it could’ve retaines the zero option, but at least the 4x is legitimately better now allowing you to quickly get center mass hit at any of the distances.

What? All those sights are meant to be zeroed, every sight made is meant to be zeroed (though some like the ACOG have an intended zero so the auto-ranging works). I'm really aggravated I can no longer change my zero to 200m on the 2x/red dot/holo which makes it feel more like the 300m zero I'm used to from real life.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Nordick posted:

I do not use suppressors because they make my guns sound stupid and wimpy and that is utterly unacceptable.

Counterpoint: M24

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I think they have some internal miscommunication going on about this. They have a support article that literally tells you what information to include when reporting cheaters via support ticket, but also this boilerplate "go away" response.

The new reporting via replay feature should be very useful.