Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

R0ckfish posted:

Farsight enclaves forces can mostly be summed up as no ethreals and lots of suits, but the second point need not restrict you.

The decision to buy stuff now vs later is essentially whether the appearance/lore of something is more important to you then how they could perform in the codex, there are some things you could get if you want some things to practice on that should be fairly good simply because of their roles and utility you can get pathfinders and firewarriors (the start collecting is essentially buy a unit of crisis suits and get 10$ firewarriors ).

The Tau codex is supposedly late february or march, if that influences your plans.

Keep in mind that start collecting boxes tend to be really scarce around their codex release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

dexefiend posted:

I think that list would be fun to play, and look great on the table.

Those Repulsors be rolling a ton of dice.

I'm a little worried that 16 wounds and a 3+ save won't be enough to prevent them from getting murdered before they've run across the field and dumped their contents into the face of whatever needs killing.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

This squad is technically illegal. The grunts are carrying assault plasma incinerators, but the Sergeant is carrying a regular plasma incinerator by the handle.

Regular Plasma has different orientation on those battery things on the bottom but really who cares.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

mango sentinel posted:

Regular Plasma has different orientation on those battery things on the bottom but really who cares.

nah, that's just the DI plasma. The squad box plasma doesn't even have that as a possibility.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Plasma hydrogen flasks being delicate, volatile things that only hold half a dozen shots each and have to be carefully screwed into place by hand is close to peak 40K.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Strobe posted:

nah, that's just the DI plasma. The squad box plasma doesn't even have that as a possibility.

I think I might mix together the DI and regular box so that it's more cohesive.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Someone recently posted a pic of all the new nurglings doing funny things. Did anyone save it and could you repost it please? A friend is asking what’s the big change in GW over the last year and I think that pic sums it up.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Oh. Yeah the variety is nice. I might just pick up the Combat Squad since I likely will use 20 Hellblasters and I already have 15.

I'm torn because I want all bigmans, but I also want lascannons which means Long Fangs.

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Sanford posted:

Someone recently posted a pic of all the new nurglings doing funny things. Did anyone save it and could you repost it please? A friend is asking what’s the big change in GW over the last year and I think that pic sums it up.

Here you go:

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Liquid Communism posted:

I'm torn because I want all bigmans, but I also want lascannons which means Long Fangs.

Or a predator.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Supposedly the current release schedule looks like this:

February:
Codex Custodes
Codex Thousand Sons
Battletome Death
Necromunda Orlocks & Gang War II

March:
Codex Tau
Codex Necrons

April:
Codex Drukhari
Codex Harlequins
New aelfs for AoS

May:
Codex Space Wolves
Boxed game

June:
Codex Orks
New 40k boxed set

The stuff in bold was all posted on a Tau discussion forum back in November before any Custodes / TSons stuff was made public by GW, so it could be legit.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

I mean, it's not definite, but that would be a good + sensible schedule so I hope it's accurate.

Intrigued by whatever "new 40k boxed set" is in June.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Corrode posted:

Probably Space Marines vs bad guy Space Marines.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Floppychop posted:

Probably Space Marines vs bad guy Space Marines.

Well that's a given

Maybe one of the NPC races can be in there instead of the bad guy Space Marines

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Corrode posted:

Well that's a given

Maybe one of the NPC races can be in there instead of the bad guy Space Marines

Orks vs 'Nids box set.

You know you want it.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Liquid Communism posted:

Orks vs 'Nids box set.

You know you want it.

This would be great. Although any reasonably sized box would be insane value so I'm not sure they'd do it.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Corrode posted:

This would be great. Although any reasonably sized box would be insane value so I'm not sure they'd do it.

The new Kult of Speed box is actually pretty good... :orks101:

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum
Why the hell is the Vedros box $50 are the dudes smaller or something?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Bombogenesis posted:

Why the hell is the Vedros box $50 are the dudes smaller or something?

They're the old 5th edition starter set ones, which are usually 2-3 pieces and single-pose.

And nowadays they (at least the Marine ones) actually are smaller.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
There's also less in vedros than black reach, you only get the terminator sergeant instead of a squad and stuff like that.

Muninn
Dec 29, 2008

Mef989 posted:

You probably can't go wrong starting on the Battleforce or the Start Collecting boxes. All of those units are currently pretty good (even the crisis suits if you use flamers) and will probably still at least be decent in the codex.

Farsight classically has made crisis suits into troops and given them a few other buffs. This thread pointed out for me a while back that they also traditionally don't use auxiliaries like kroot or vespid, nor to they use Etherials.

By Battleforce, I'm guessing you mean this one? https://www.games-workshop.com/en-CA/Bf-tau-Empire-Rapid-Insertion-Cadre-2017

Because I want all of those models and looks like I can get it for $140 shipped elsewhere.

Muninn
Dec 29, 2008

Strobe posted:

Pathfinders with Rail Rifles have the benefit of being some of the best anti Terminator-equivalent units in the entire game right now, too. They're pretty great in general, as it stands.

I definitely plan to pick some up as one of the appeals of Tau is the whole "combined arms" element of the army, and I love the idea of markerlights. I'm not sure how to build them out--I was thinking one rail rifle and one ion rifle for variety, leave the rest with markerlights to ensure sufficient hits with those. Should I take more than one rail rifle?

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'm a little worried that 16 wounds and a 3+ save won't be enough to prevent them from getting murdered before they've run across the field and dumped their contents into the face of whatever needs killing.

The Space Wolves player I play against runs 2 Repulsors. Man, let me tell you, even with my AdMech shooting them - they’re loving tough as nails. Stay in cover as much as possible, dump your Hellblasters out into cover in a building and then just move those around as mobile fire support platforms.

They’re brutal.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Zuul the Cat posted:

The Space Wolves player I play against runs 2 Repulsors. Man, let me tell you, even with my AdMech shooting them - they’re loving tough as nails. Stay in cover as much as possible, dump your Hellblasters out into cover in a building and then just move those around as mobile fire support platforms.

They’re brutal.

Good to hear. I really like the idea of Hellblasters supported by the Holy Quaternary of a Captain, Lieutenant, Ancient, and Apothecary and putting them in Repulsors gives them badly needed mobility.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Artum posted:

Or a predator.

The predator has just fallen out of favor for me as an Ultramarine player. Lascannons just come out as to expensive or to delicate on almost anything I take, or are to easily tied up in the case of vehicles.

I am actually leaning towards picking up a Contemptor or two with quad Lascannon, simply because they A) Hit on 2s B) Have an Invuln C) Can fall back and shoot at a 4+, and D) Can stomp some bitches when they get caught in melee.

This seems to more than account for the price different.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Muninn posted:

I definitely plan to pick some up as one of the appeals of Tau is the whole "combined arms" element of the army, and I love the idea of markerlights. I'm not sure how to build them out--I was thinking one rail rifle and one ion rifle for variety, leave the rest with markerlights to ensure sufficient hits with those. Should I take more than one rail rifle?

Ion Rifles are hot garbage and Rail Rifles are one of the most (if not actually the most) efficient weapons in the Tau arsenal. Take as many as you can.

I'm seriously considering breaking up my Pathfinder squads into five-man units just to take more Rail Rifles.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.
Yeah, using Beer For the Beer God's spreadsheet, a heavy weapons team of pathfinders (3 rail rifles, 2 normal, rapid fire range) has 25 ppw against hordes, 34 ppw vs marines, and 39 ppw vs vehicles.

(A close-range fusion commander gets a jaw-dropping 19 ppw vs vehicles, and so far the best value for points I've seen is 3 units of 12 fire warriors supported by a fireblade - 10ppw vs hordes, 25 vs marines, 67 vs vehicles, so long as the target's within 18 inches)

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Muninn posted:

By Battleforce, I'm guessing you mean this one? https://www.games-workshop.com/en-CA/Bf-tau-Empire-Rapid-Insertion-Cadre-2017

Because I want all of those models and looks like I can get it for $140 shipped elsewhere.

Yes, that's it. That plus a box of Pathfinders and you're off to a good start

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Corrode posted:

9th Edition.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Ilor posted:

9th Edition.

Age of Bigmar

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
So following along with my earlier 'Primaris-only Raven Guard Because Reasons' this is the list I'm thinking of for 2k:

+++ Vigilant Foxes - 2k (Warhammer 40,000 8th Edition) [109 PL, 1982pts] +++

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Imperium - Space Marines) [109 PL, 1982pts] ++

**Chapter Selection**: Raven Guard

+ HQ +

Primaris Captain w/Power Fist [6 PL, 106pts]: Plasma pistol, Power fist, Raven's Fury

Primaris Librarian [7 PL, 101pts]: Force sword

Primaris Lieutenants [10 PL, 148pts]
. Primaris Lieutenant: Master-crafted auto bolt rifle
. Primaris Lieutenant: Master-crafted auto bolt rifle

+ Troops +

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 95pts]: Auxiliary Grenade Launcher, Bolt rifle
. 4x Intercessor
. Intercessor Sergeant: Power sword

. 4x Intercessor

. 4x Intercessor

. 4x Intercessor

+ Elites +

Primaris Ancient [4 PL, 69pts]: Standard of the Emperor Ascendant

Redemptor Dreadnought [10 PL, 201pts]: 2x Fragstorm Grenade Launchers, Icarus Rocket Pod, Macro Plasma Incinerator, Onslaught Gatling Cannon

+ Fast Attack +

Inceptor Squad [10 PL, 135pts]: Assault bolter, 2x Inceptor, Inceptor Sergeant

Inceptor Squad [10 PL, 135pts]: Assault bolter, 2x Inceptor, Inceptor Sergeant

+ Heavy Support +

Hellblaster Squad [16 PL, 357pts]: Assault Plasma Incinerator
. 9x Hellblaster
. Hellblaster Sergeant: Plasma pistol

+ Dedicated Transport +

Repulsor [16 PL, 350pts]: 2x Fragstorm Grenade Launchers, 2x Fragstorm Grenade Launchers, Fragstorm Grenade Launcher, Ironhail Heavy Stubber, 2x Krakstrom Grenade Launcher, Las-talon, Onslaught Gatling Cannon, Twin lascannon

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum

Corrode posted:

They're the old 5th edition starter set ones, which are usually 2-3 pieces and single-pose.

And nowadays they (at least the Marine ones) actually are smaller.

I knew it was the old sculpts, didn't know if they were actually smaller though. Still not an awful way to start up Orkz by the looks of it?

Artum posted:

There's also less in vedros than black reach, you only get the terminator sergeant instead of a squad and stuff like that.

Well poo poo. What if I just want a million deffkoptas?

e; Oh...it only comes with one. I can read y'all I swear :downs:

Bombogenesis fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jan 11, 2018

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I have yet to find a more efficient killer than an Ork boy in melee.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I have yet to find a more efficient killer than an Ork boy in melee.

Genestealer?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

TKIY posted:

Genestealer?

I can run the numbers but Boyz are stupid cheap.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I can run the numbers but Boyz are stupid cheap.

You have inspired me.

I am going to make an CW Eldar sheet which I can send to you to append if you'd like.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Boon posted:

You have inspired me.

I am going to make an CW Eldar sheet which I can send to you to append if you'd like.

Awesome. I will likely add new tabs to the core sheet so it's more organized.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I started a month ago, and here's what I have now thanks to store credit and trading in Magic cards:

Hive Tyrant
Trygon
Broodlord
Tyrannofex
Harpy
Neurothrope (old metal)
2 Carnifexes
3 Biovores (old metal)
3 Hive Guard
3 Venomthropes
6 Tyranid Warriors
6 Ripper Swarms (maybe more, need to check my Gaunt/Genestealer sprues and I need bases)
10 Gargoyles
16 Genestealers (plus another box of 8 unbuilt)
25 Termagants (I need 5 more, going to buy a snap-together kit)
And a bunch of Spore Mines

The only things I really want besides the five more Termagants is three more Hive Guard and as many Carnifexes as I can get my hands on because I love those models.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

LifeLynx posted:

I started a month ago, and here's what I have now thanks to store credit and trading in Magic cards:

Hive Tyrant
Trygon
Broodlord
Tyrannofex
Harpy
Neurothrope (old metal)
2 Carnifexes
3 Biovores (old metal)
3 Hive Guard
3 Venomthropes
6 Tyranid Warriors
6 Ripper Swarms (maybe more, need to check my Gaunt/Genestealer sprues and I need bases)
10 Gargoyles
16 Genestealers (plus another box of 8 unbuilt)
25 Termagants (I need 5 more, going to buy a snap-together kit)
And a bunch of Spore Mines

The only things I really want besides the five more Termagants is three more Hive Guard and as many Carnifexes as I can get my hands on because I love those models.

MtG trade credit for that?! How many moxes did you have to trade :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ESDK
Oct 10, 2007

And the best conversion so far: