Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I just beat DQ8 DS, I had no idea it checkpointed you after you used the staff on Rhapthorne to weaken him so I put it off for the longest time thinking I'd need a lot of time to knuckle down and focus on that.

Do you really continue the game with it sending you back to before you beat him for the post game? I thought you'd be able to continue with Trodain uncursed and everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vakal
May 11, 2008

BabyRyoga posted:

I don't know how playable it is or what bugs remain, and I didn't really proofread any of the final translation stuff since we never really ^finished* the project so to speak. I mostly did names of monsters/items/etc and the descriptions of skills/spells/monsters..

Been playing through the first few worlds and so far the only crashes I've hit are when you try to open some of the hidden stealth chests. Everything else seems pretty solid.

I'm curious though, who was the poor bastard that translated all the deep scan text for the monsters?

There are like 500 monsters in the game and most have a little paragraph blurb if scan them on the overworld.

Overall that's like a short novel worth of flavor text that most players will never even notice is there.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

RareAcumen posted:

Do you really continue the game with it sending you back to before you beat him for the post game? I thought you'd be able to continue with Trodain uncursed and everything.

Once you beat the game you unlock a a post game dungeon. Beat that and you get a new ending to the game for beating the final boss again.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Needed a new game on my phone to play, decided on DQ4. It runs at 30fps, I don't think that's a problem because I want to say the DS version did as well, but it's been a long time and I no longer have the game (or the hardware). But I'm not sure, can anyone with the DS game let me know?

Mobile control schemes, yikes. They are... different. I managed to beat Adventures of Mana with it at least.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Idk about the DS frame rate, that sounds about right for my experience on Android, but anyway it's worth playing the mobile version just for party chat, which is missing on DS. Controls take some getting used to but I beat the game with them no problem.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Reminder that regardless of the specs on your phone, it can't really use them to any decent respect for gaming because it has no proper heat dispersal and the battery would only last 20 minutes.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

Ometeotl posted:

Reminder that regardless of the specs on your phone, it can't really use them to any decent respect for gaming because it has no proper heat dispersal and the battery would only last 20 minutes.

i played thru DQIV on my old phone without any of those issues :shrug:

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

I'm a new smartphone user, just got my first one last summer. I picked a mid-to-low tier model but one that has really good battery life. Seriously, it seems like I only need to charge the thing once per week, but then again I'm not constantly using it. Probably much less than most people use theirs. I did use it as GPS for a 90-minute drive recently and it spent maybe 15% of a full battery.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

psychoJ posted:

I played through DQIII and am currently playing DQIV on my old-rear end phone without those problems. The controls on the other hand, are more than a little frustrating some times.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Vakal posted:

Been playing through the first few worlds and so far the only crashes I've hit are when you try to open some of the hidden stealth chests. Everything else seems pretty solid.

I'm curious though, who was the poor bastard that translated all the deep scan text for the monsters?

There are like 500 monsters in the game and most have a little paragraph blurb if scan them on the overworld.

Overall that's like a short novel worth of flavor text that most players will never even notice is there.

The monster flavor text? That was me :clint:

Vakal
May 11, 2008

BabyRyoga posted:

The monster flavor text? That was me :clint:

Cool, great work.

But I can't help but notice a couple of points where it looks like your sanity started to slip.

The one that comes to mind is the baby dragons on the second world where the deep scan says they were born from a "whole potato" :v:

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Now I just need to find the boxes/manuals for 1&2 and 3 at my mom's house.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Evil Fluffy posted:

Got a PS4 for Christmas.

When the hell is Dragon Quest 11 coming out in English? :sigh:

some time this year!

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I actually came to ask about DQ11 as well. I'm also interested in Hereos 1 & 2 for the Switch, but I'm worried that it will be shite like the Japanese version apparently is.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I'm actually pretty excited about Builders for switch. The demo definitely got its hooks in on me. The closest I've ever played to a Minecraft is Terraria, so I'm looking forward to playing through Builders' story mode.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Genovera posted:

Now I just need to find the boxes/manuals for 1&2 and 3 at my mom's house.

If I've reckoned correctly I'm six titles from a complete US set. I used to own a copy of Torneko The Last Hope (really wish I hadn't sold that a decade ago!), and not shown is a copy of DW7 PSX and a special edition of DQ Warriors that I don't actually have in my possession yet. Of course the tough ones are yet to be acquired, complete copies of III and IV NES.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Has there been any news whatsoever about Builders 2 since the original stream gameplay?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Hyper Inferno posted:

Has there been any news whatsoever about Builders 2 since the original stream gameplay?

As far as I know, and I look around every other month or so, there's been no word for half a year. Sucks, because I liked the first one, mostly.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Ometeotl posted:

Greetings, time traveler from 2009, we have such sights to show you

psychoJ posted:

I've played all the mobile DQ games up to 6 without any issues. Wonky touch controls and forced portrait view aside, it's my preferred way to play now because you can just pick it up and grind some monsters for a bit and quicksave when you're done.

Oh, and as someone who also has dq4 on ds, there's no noticeable difference performance wise. Also the DS version doesn't have party chat, so there's that.

raditts fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jan 13, 2018

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Any time I play a game on my phone it gets physically uncomfortable to hold after like 15 minutes. But about 90% of iOS I liked to play anyway are no longer playable because of the way apple updates their hardware, so i stopped buying iOS apps years ago because they're transient purchases and gently caress that.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

The only one I've played on the phone is Dragon Quest 1 and I learned that I hate virtual d-pad. A lot. Especially how it's movable for some god forsaken reason.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Adventures of Mana was like that, it uses a virtual analog stick, and, depending on your settings, it can move around if you drag it far enough. I dunno, I got used to it eventually. It helped that the game was yoko orientation only so I could use my thumb in the corner, and the game difficulty was very low. I'm finding I have to use index or middle with DQ4 since it's tate only and I have to hold the phone differently. It's pretty frustrating, I often have a hard time maneuvering to specific spots for stairs/chests/etc.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Shugojin posted:

The only one I've played on the phone is Dragon Quest 1 and I learned that I hate virtual d-pad. A lot. Especially how it's movable for some god forsaken reason.

ProTip: you don't have to touch the onscreen pad to move. If you put your thumb anywhere on the screen and move in a direction, it will count.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

DQ5

Okay, I'm starting to get annoyed. Trying to get up the tower where your wife gets taken to and I'm making no progress after a point. Is there anywhere to get better medicines or do alchemy or better weapons that I'm missing? I'm using a Slime Knight, Sabercat, and bad apple(?) the red one. The sabercat does like 70-80 damage a hit at this point.

I'm about to just brute force it past those dragons and just get a bunch of herbs and magic waters and run through.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
That sounds like a pretty standard party, I remember having one with more edged boomerang users but it’s been ages so I can’t say specifics. Bad apples are super good monsters though, at least until third gen when they stop leveling. Slime knights are pretty mediocre stat-wise and rely on equipment tho, so maybe buy a thing or two for them?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Just put on a nice album and grind xp

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Real hurthling! posted:

Just put on a nice album and grind xp

Or if you're using an emulator then save state some metal slimes

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

(Dragon Quest 5) I looked at the wiki for a bit of info and after learning that you can't actually just buy magic water, I bought a whole mess of herbs and used those to keep me going throughout the tower. Now I'm in the third gen. Any money grinding or monster tips? I didn't know slime knights weren't that good but even if they don't have the best stats, having something else around to use fullheal isn't that bad a trade for a party space.

Also, does anyone know if this glitch is still in the DS version?

https://lparchive.org/Dragon-Quest-V/Update%2032/

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

RareAcumen posted:

(Dragon Quest 5) I looked at the wiki for a bit of info and after learning that you can't actually just buy magic water, I bought a whole mess of herbs and used those to keep me going throughout the tower. Now I'm in the third gen. Any money grinding or monster tips? I didn't know slime knights weren't that good but even if they don't have the best stats, having something else around to use fullheal isn't that bad a trade for a party space.

Slime Knights are just fine, since they're basically a weaker version of the hero. I also had no idea about that glitch existing, but it looks hilarious. :stare:

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
I decided to pick up DQ7 on the 3DS and does this game ever pick up the pace at all? I know it's long and I don't mind strapping myself in for the long haul but I'm 7 hours in and there hasn't even been a remotely difficult fight yet or any side quests or side areas or anything.

edit: also holy poo poo if they didn't feel like taking the time to implement a proper enemy placement system they should've stuck to random battles. I can't go through a single corridor without running into half a dozen unavoidable fuckers

g0lbez fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jan 21, 2018

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Dragon Quest 7 is notoriously slow. If you're frustrated now, you won't find relief by waiting.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
Despite my complaints I'm still enjoying it a lot at least, was just hoping it opened up a bit later on since it seems super on rails at the moment

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

RareAcumen posted:

What the gently caress is this? Is that... is the RNG directly dependent on one character's inventory? Is it an Easter Egg? Do the items spell an acronym in Japanese? What the hell?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

I might have mislead you before, slime knights are one of the best monsters in the game because their equipment selection is so good and they get heal magic, but they’re basically warriors with mediocre attack, so they need to be loaded out properly to make up for it.

But anyway, there’s one monster later on that drops way more gold than any other enemy in the game, that is actually gold-colored. There are a bunch of good monsters but the only one with a decent recruit rate are golems, who hit like a truck, facetank like champs, get good weapon/armor options, and even learn meditate to heal 400 HP for free.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

g0lbez posted:

Despite my complaints I'm still enjoying it a lot at least, was just hoping it opened up a bit later on since it seems super on rails at the moment

It opens up in some respects, but it does take its sweet time in getting to that point, and it will tease you about it along the way. You will also face backtracking and it won't get any faster.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

RareAcumen posted:

DACK FAYDEN posted:

What the gently caress is this? Is that... is the RNG directly dependent on one character's inventory? Is it an Easter Egg? Do the items spell an acronym in Japanese? What the hell?

From reading the original thread and glancing at TCRF - seemingly it's just a debug flag that someone managed to stumble upon. But no, it's only in that version. Both the DS and PS2 versions have their own debug menus if you're running some sort of cheat solution or emulator, though.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

From reading the original thread and glancing at TCRF - seemingly it's just a debug flag that someone managed to stumble upon. But no, it's only in that version. Both the DS and PS2 versions have their own debug menus if you're running some sort of cheat solution or emulator, though.

drat, I knew it was too good to be true.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

RareAcumen posted:

This might be my favorite thing right up with the Hoimi Table for manipulating drops in DQ9.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
About ten hours into DQ7 and I think I can say with 100% certainty that this is THE most under-rated localization I've ever played through, maybe only a super minutely close second to Earthbound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

The Ninth Layer posted:

I'm actually pretty excited about Builders for switch. The demo definitely got its hooks in on me. The closest I've ever played to a Minecraft is Terraria, so I'm looking forward to playing through Builders' story mode.

DQ Builders is lowkey one of the best games in 10 years, everything about it is just a pure joy. I've never been into Minecraft or Terraria or anything like it, but the slick art style and easy controls for building had me making elaborate and insane forts for hours on end. Plus it's just so drat cute.