Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

IUG posted:

Petty, Tom
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

meme_of_guy_sweating_while_deciding_to_press_two_buttons.jpg

Zappa, Frank
Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention

I organize by album title anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Randomly placed on shelves so you can have a fun game trying to find what you're looking for

Alternative option: just use the search feature it's tyool 2018

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Dross posted:

When I caught it it actually took away from the name a little, for me.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Quote-Unquote posted:

Alternative option: just use the search feature it's tyool 2018

I downloaded all my music from Limewire in 2003 so half the files are misspelled anyway

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I downloaded all my music from Limewire in 2003 so half the files are misspelled anyway

And everything’s by weird Al anyway.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Al, Weird

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Scaramouche posted:

Guess I finally have something to post here.

The venerable tea manufacturer is called Twinings, and not TwinNing(no s).

Apropos, I only recently realized that "venerable" doesn't mean old/ancient, but respected/worthy of veneration (though often due to age).

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

IUG posted:

I assume you're talking about David Bowie, and just had a keyboard malfunction of some kind.

I was sorting my music and didn't know if I should file Bowie under B for his "last name" or if I should have done D since it's a stage name. If he never legally changed his name, I guess I should file him under David.

Popular musician David Bowie had the given name of David Jones. As an aspiring young musician, he took the stage name Bowie to differentiate himself from Davy Jones of the Monkees.

Bowie's son, who was commonly referred to in contemporary press as "Zowie Bowie," has the given name Duncan Jones. Under his given name he has directed the films Moon, Source Code, and Warcraft.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Baron von Eevl posted:

Under his given name he has directed the films Moon, Source Code, and Warcraft.

In fairness, those were all discarded options for his given name.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I liked Source Code. Had no idea it was directed my David Bowie's son. Neat.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

My wife once mistakenly bought tickets for us to see Source Code thinking it was the Social Network. It was an acute case of stuff you can't believe you just figured out.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

exquisite tea posted:

My wife once mistakenly bought tickets for us to see Source Code thinking it was the Social Network. It was an acute case of stuff you can't believe you just figured out.

Did you enjoy it?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It was okay.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Just remembered I used to pronounce "albeit" in my head as if it was a German word (basically like "Arbeit"). Luckily I managed to hear it pronounced correctly and fix that before saying it out loud myself.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Albeit macht frei.

cyberbug
Sep 30, 2004

The name is Carl Seltz...
insurance inspector.

exquisite tea posted:

When I went to see True Romance, several young couples walked out during it when they figured out it wasn't quite the kind of romantic movie they were expecting...

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Leavemywife posted:

I just now realized the pun in the Beatles.

the correct spelling of the animal weirds me out every time I see it because of this.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Choco1980 posted:

the correct spelling of the animal weirds me out every time I see it because of this.

They're no Bugaloos.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

FreudianSlippers posted:

Albeit macht frei.

:yeah:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Not something I figured out per se, but something I wasn't old enough to appreciate - I'm noticing a lot of metajokes in Rocko's Modern LIfe that I missed watching as a kid ("I think I've got some candy offscreen!"), so I'm happy to be revisiting it. It's still pretty funny and the satire has aged fairly well considering it all relies on making fun of a Capitalist Wasteland by taking things to their extremes, but in ways that work almost better now with how much worse lobbyists are. Rocko's second episode involves a Megamall built in the middle of a national park, which says a lot about how much pull the Conglom-O must have in O-Town.

Also some of the jokes have a lot of layers, like the hedge in Ed is Dead - initially you see scarring on it in a set of distinct shapes, and think that will come back later, then Rocko towards the end sees it reading "Kill Ed". Then the next time he looks during Bev's explanation it looks like it says "Squinky", then "Kilroy" - there was never a pattern at all, the viewer, and Rocko, were tricked into thinking that there would be one so saw one where none were.

It's a really clever show now that I'm old enough to appreciate it.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

Not something I figured out per se, but something I wasn't old enough to appreciate - I'm noticing a lot of metajokes in Rocko's Modern LIfe that I missed watching as a kid ("I think I've got some candy offscreen!"), so I'm happy to be revisiting it. It's still pretty funny and the satire has aged fairly well considering it all relies on making fun of a Capitalist Wasteland by taking things to their extremes, but in ways that work almost better now with how much worse lobbyists are. Rocko's second episode involves a Megamall built in the middle of a national park, which says a lot about how much pull the Conglom-O must have in O-Town.

Also some of the jokes have a lot of layers, like the hedge in Ed is Dead - initially you see scarring on it in a set of distinct shapes, and think that will come back later, then Rocko towards the end sees it reading "Kill Ed". Then the next time he looks during Bev's explanation it looks like it says "Squinky", then "Kilroy" - there was never a pattern at all, the viewer, and Rocko, were tricked into thinking that there would be one so saw one where none were.

It's a really clever show now that I'm old enough to appreciate it.

One that I actually got when I was a kid is that a heifer is a cow but Heffer is clearly male.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
Rocko's Modern Life was one of those shows that snuck a lot of stuff past the censors. The most blatant one is Heifer's favorite restaurant is the chokey-chicken.

Then there's stuff like this.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Shifty Nipples posted:

One that I actually got when I was a kid is that a heifer is a cow but Heffer is clearly male.

He's a STEER! :argh:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

It also explores like 3 different types of relationships in some detail - Ed and Bev Bighead being a couple who have been together for 30 years and have had the flame almost go out multiple times, Filbert and Dr Hutchinson as the relatively new couple who are nonetheless serious about each other, and Rocko's numerous unreturned, slightly pathetic infatuations.

Also because most of the characters are likable there is some real tension that builds sometimes when they butt heads, like when the bugs invade Rocko's kitchen. On one hand I like Flecko, but on the other hand I couldn't be on his side because as a viewer I know that if Rocko is pushed too far he is a force to be reckoned with - my feelings on that situation were basically "OK Flecko, be very careful here. This won't end well for you otherwise.."

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

swordfish duelist posted:

Rocko's Modern Life was one of those shows that snuck a lot of stuff past the censors. The most blatant one is Heifer's favorite restaurant is the chokey-chicken.

Then there's stuff like this.

If you enjoy watching a cow get sucked off, you should rewatch Animaniacs, too.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

"A little help from my friends" by The Beatles is not the same song as "Lean on me" by Bill Withers, even if the subject matter is similar and they were both covered by Joe Cocker.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:

Fo3 posted:

Best was the goon name felonious drunk E: can't google it so maybe I imagined it.

That was me before I posted in a name change thread. (Still have TM as my av though)

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
In the Mega Man X series, Zero does not have a tattered, yellow, cape...it's his hair.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Krankenstyle posted:

Just remembered I used to pronounce "albeit" in my head as if it was a German word (basically like "Arbeit"). Luckily I managed to hear it pronounced correctly and fix that before saying it out loud myself.

I did this too
also "awry" is not pronounced AWW-rie

Thing I figured out the other day- "het up" is just slang past tense of "heated up."

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Harvey Weinstein is not Harvey Fierstein.

I don't follow Hollywood news, but would occasionally hear blurbs about this guy Harvey having sexually harassed kajillions of women, and kept wondering why and how the obviously flaming gay dude who played Karl on the Simpsons would do this.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
In Star Wars Episode III when Anakin is trying to shake off two missiles and starts spinning (a good trick), the missiles explode because he makes them hit each other.

I don't know how many dozens of times I've seen the sequence in the past 13 years and never understood why they just seemed to spontaneously explode.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

DrBouvenstein posted:

In the Mega Man X series, Zero does not have a tattered, yellow, cape...it's his hair.

Zero's much less cool when you realize this.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Captain Splendid posted:

In Star Wars Episode III when Anakin is trying to shake off two missiles and starts spinning (a good trick), the missiles explode because he makes them hit each other.

I don't know how many dozens of times I've seen the sequence in the past 13 years and never understood why they just seemed to spontaneously explode.

Yeah, its a good trick

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The line in Pepper by Butthole Surfers is "They were all in love with dying, they were doing it in Texas", not Diane.

Not really sure where or why I just shrugged and figured that there was an esoteric reason why the Diane lady pronounced her name weird, and Butthole Surfers wasn't a huge part of my musical background, but playing SR3 for the first time in years made this realization possible.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

The men in Third Rock From The Sun are called Tom, Dick, and Harry, like the expression that means "anyone".

I never got that until now.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

MisterBibs posted:

The line in Pepper by Butthole Surfers is "They were all in love with dying, they were doing it in Texas", not Diane.

Not really sure where or why I just shrugged and figured that there was an esoteric reason why the Diane lady pronounced her name weird, and Butthole Surfers wasn't a huge part of my musical background, but playing SR3 for the first time in years made this realization possible.

there's a butthole surfers song in guitar hero and they made it that one?

it is a good song, but :sigh:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

The men in Third Rock From The Sun are called Tom, Dick, and Harry, like the expression that means "anyone".

Jesus. (Also, that was a funny show despite being really contrived and other bad words.)

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

hawowanlawow posted:

there's a butthole surfers song in guitar hero and they made it that one?

it is a good song, but :sigh:

Who Was in My Room Last Night was in Guitar Hero

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

It's literally pointed out in the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.
The phrase isn't "imminentize the eschaton", but "immanentize the eschaton". Good job, English. You've japed me again with your stupid unstressed vowels. All things considered, I frankly prefer my original interpretation.