Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Glazius posted:

If a script is running on every item, especially during a transfer, the scripting engine can get overloaded independent of the game. Have you done anything to increase the amount of resources allocated to Papyrus in your ini?

I believe the .ini is box stock other than ArchiveInvalidation (which was done by MO2). What should I be fumbling with?

Looks like it was the Pre-War Cash for sure, because I romped and stomped all over the Commonwealth for a few hours, gained about 2.5 levels and no stuttering even picking up legendaries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Terrorforge posted:

I don't have an easy fix for ammo issues, but the death respawn can be disabled (there's a holotape) and you're under absolutely no obligation to interact with the settler stuff. Just go wild with Sims.

There's an option when installing Horizon that raises the ammo drop rate as well.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also honestly I still have shitloads of ammo in the current version, there's so many different kinds and you can chamber guns in so many different calibers on the fly, as well as take most ammo apart to get powder out of it, that you honestly end up just drowning in bullets. Some stuff like 5mm is also way easier to get than vanilla, you can craft 5mm ammo in packs of 50 using almost the minimum amount of powder and resources, so doing a heavy weapons build is probably easier than vanilla in some ways.

If you picked scrounger and installed the option to have more ammo I don't know how you'd ever run out with the increased lethality.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

OwlFancier posted:

Also honestly I still have shitloads of ammo in the current version, there's so many different kinds and you can chamber guns in so many different calibers on the fly, as well as take most ammo apart to get powder out of it, that you honestly end up just drowning in bullets. Some stuff like 5mm is also way easier to get than vanilla, you can craft 5mm ammo in packs of 50 using almost the minimum amount of powder and resources, so doing a heavy weapons build is probably easier than vanilla in some ways.

If you picked scrounger and installed the option to have more ammo I don't know how you'd ever run out with the increased lethality.

I think by the time you have the perks and resources to craft your own ammo in bulk you're well past the early game which is when you feel most of the crunch. There's like a half dozen perks you want early, you don't get the free perks until level 5, and you don't have the ammo to kill things to get to level 5 very quickly.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hmm, maybe I guess? I still don't find it too restrictive cos you level quite quickly from quests at that level and you don't need to do a lot of killing for that. All you really need is gun nut 1 to get your basic ammo types. I honestly find the biggest restriction being getting hold of a gun you can aim cos the sights on the pipe guns are unusable. Once you get something you can aim it's just a matter of popping heads for the rest of the game. Ammo after that mostly becomes a convenience, you'll never run out of it but a stockpile means you can maybe hit something a bit tougher than you otherwise could by putting your gun in full auto.

The early game sets you up for how you're going to have to play it because you never don't want to aim your shots, but, well, you can get a pipe gun off someone, hit the gunners down near abernathy farm on the overpass using the grenades you get at sanctuary, get one of their suped up sniper rifles that the lieutenants always spawn with, and then you're basically set for life cos that thing will carry you until like level 15 and you can chamber it in .308, .45-70, or 5.56. You should also get at least a couple of other decent guns and a full set of combat armour from them.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jan 11, 2018

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

[Helpful info]

Okay, so I need to start the game the exact opposite way I normally do! No wonder I was struggling. Thanks for the overview.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

isndl posted:

I think by the time you have the perks and resources to craft your own ammo in bulk you're well past the early game which is when you feel most of the crunch. There's like a half dozen perks you want early, you don't get the free perks until level 5, and you don't have the ammo to kill things to get to level 5 very quickly.

You also can't craft ammo until you find a bunch of magazines and luck out on the rolls.
(Magazine-based crafting is my biggest gripe).

At level 20 I'm feeling grossly overpowered. I'm thinking of heading to Nuka World.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Post poste posted:

Okay, so I need to start the game the exact opposite way I normally do! No wonder I was struggling. Thanks for the overview.

I would say that the thing about horizon is that while you don't get much ammo, you also shouldn't really need much to kill stuff. The biggest hurdles are things that you can't hit easily, things that are very big (and thus have a lot of hitpoints) and things that there are lots of.

So the worst things to fight are generally things like bugs and ghouls because they're twitchy fuckers who come in endless hordes and drop nothing of value, also they give you diseases. Robots and large animals can also be tough cos they can absorb quite a lot of shots and also lack good loot save for meat. Humans are like walking loot bags and you want to fight as many of them as possible. Generally the way I do a new start is hit sanctuary and get myself a sleep room/storage, drop my poo poo off and make what mods I can. Then I go to concord and do the quest, pick up some armour and the settlers, go home, get them settled in for their quest XP and maybe start a sim settlements thing. Pick up codsworth because he can carry a mountain of crap, then head to abernathy. Grab their quest and head over to satellite station olivia and do it. By then you should have a decent pipe gun, a full set of armour, and have a few perks including the one you get from the root cellar in sanctuary. Do what you need to from then to hit level 5 and take VANS to get your extra 5 perks, then you're pretty much set up. If you're in a good position you can hit the gunners somewhere along that line but you can do it without their gear. Getting one of those rifles once you hit level 5 though should be a priority as they're excellent. You also don't need to worry too much about water if you take this route because the root cellar, abernathy farm, and satellite station olivia all have some purified water in them which you can take until you get some of your own purifiers set up.

The next hurdle is taking out the corvega factory but that's mostly a matter of building up a little ammo stockpile, getting one of those rifles, and getting enough healing gear to keep you going. Once you've done that you want to get at least one settlement set up and I recommend turning Sanctuary into just a giant food/water factory, you can use sim settlements if you want but Horizon has some of its own crop plots that generate crops passively more easily than the ones in sim settlements, but either will work. Basically you just need to have a shitload of crop objects and Horizon will let you produce a few per day. I think it's like 5% of your total number of crop objects per day +5% if you use fertilizer, but basically just get as many crops planted as possible to secure yourself a steady supply of crops to eat cos all the good food requires them. You also want to build some purifiers and feed them maintenence kits to get purified water, or you can set up some sim settlements purifiers. The horizon production system is much improved since earlier versions though and it's really just a matter of saying where you want its ouput dumped and feeding it the resources it needs, which for water is basically clean bottles and tool kits, both of which you can make quite easily and it can output a lot of water if you build enough purifiers which you'll want to do anyway if you're running SS farms.

Once you've got yourself a supply of food and water you're basically into the main meat of the game, cos now you're not on a time limit any more and you can explore at your leisure as your settlements bring in vendor credit you can turn into caps from any robotics workbench, and you can just buy up whatever else you need and work on getting more settlements and more income of supplies under your belt. It actually synergises really well with sim settlements because its resource production can really help a lot with the resource management game of Horizon. You succeed by having the resources to throw at a problem, basically. So high powered and API ammo, rare alloys to build a +20% damage and perks gun, adhesive to make medical supplies, and explosives are all things you expend on problem solving. You can take on something a lot tougher than you by being willing to spend some of your rarer materials to make it happen, such as healing and again, especially explosives. Mines and grenades are really powerful and really useful in Horizon so I recommend demolitions expert and you might want to consider building the pipe launcher in the weapons bench to be able to launch them a bit further if you're really going down that line. Baseballs are also really common and you can make baseball grenades quite easily with demo expert, so they're a really good option too. You'll find a bunch of explosive powder just by playing so using it is a good idea. That's basically the rule of horizon actually, just use every resource you pick up or convert it into something you can use. Horizon is a game about resource management.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jan 11, 2018

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really

OwlFancier posted:

I think it's like 5% of your total number of crop objects per day +5% if you use fertilizer

It's a bit more complex than that. You get 5% of your "production value". Regular crops (including sims agricultural plots) give 0.5 production value per plant and the big Architect crops cost 3 crops to make but give 6 production, so 2 per invested crop. Also note that fertilizer merely doubles existing production, so you cannot get to 10 production and start fertilizing to get 10/10=1 crop per day. You have to get to 20 before you see any return whatsoever.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

How is power armor in Horizon?

I'm thinking of doing a run through, but I'm a big fan of sneaking and bringing out power armor for fun. Has it been nerfed/buffed at all compared to vanilla?

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

TescoBag posted:

How is power armor in Horizon?

I'm thinking of doing a run through, but I'm a big fan of sneaking and bringing out power armor for fun. Has it been nerfed/buffed at all compared to vanilla?

It's very powerful, but requires a substantial investment. You'll almost never find complete sets, and what you do find will be in need of upgrades to survive any kind of punishment. To even repair it you need Blacksmith and Science!, and for the higher levels of upgrades you'll need Armorer. Fusion cores can be a bit tricky to scrape together if you don't also have Nuclear Physicist. The upgrades also require large amounts of the rare alloys, but at least use a special system that allows you to fully recycle them, e.g. you can just take out the "Steel 3" material mod and it's a junk item that contains all the material used to craft it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Terrorforge posted:

It's a bit more complex than that. You get 5% of your "production value". Regular crops (including sims agricultural plots) give 0.5 production value per plant and the big Architect crops cost 3 crops to make but give 6 production, so 2 per invested crop. Also note that fertilizer merely doubles existing production, so you cannot get to 10 production and start fertilizing to get 10/10=1 crop per day. You have to get to 20 before you see any return whatsoever.

Ah that would be why it never worked out quite right then when I played. Appreciate the clarification.

Terrorforge posted:

It's very powerful, but requires a substantial investment. You'll almost never find complete sets, and what you do find will be in need of upgrades to survive any kind of punishment. To even repair it you need Blacksmith and Science!, and for the higher levels of upgrades you'll need Armorer. Fusion cores can be a bit tricky to scrape together if you don't also have Nuclear Physicist. The upgrades also require large amounts of the rare alloys, but at least use a special system that allows you to fully recycle them, e.g. you can just take out the "Steel 3" material mod and it's a junk item that contains all the material used to craft it.

Yeah on the whole I like it, not least because it adds a use to the raider set by making it the only kind that doesn't take alloys to repair. But you need to build around it. The amount of upgrades you can stick on it though means I figure it'd come out way tougher than vanilla if you did even though the crappy rusted pieces you start with are way worse.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

OwlFancier posted:

I would say that the thing about horizon is that while you don't get much ammo, you also shouldn't really need much to kill stuff. The biggest hurdles are things that you can't hit easily, things that are very big (and thus have a lot of hitpoints) and things that there are lots of.

So the worst things to fight are generally things like bugs and ghouls because they're twitchy fuckers who come in endless hordes and drop nothing of value, also they give you diseases. Robots and large animals can also be tough cos they can absorb quite a lot of shots and also lack good loot save for meat. Humans are like walking loot bags and you want to fight as many of them as possible.

+1 to this. My normal plan of attack is, in order: Walden, Hangman's Alley, Hardware Town, Back Street Apparel, BADTFL, Olivia, Corvega. Lots of raiders, and most people are comfortable with those locations.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Ygolonac posted:

I believe the .ini is box stock other than ArchiveInvalidation (which was done by MO2). What should I be fumbling with?

Looks like it was the Pre-War Cash for sure, because I romped and stomped all over the Commonwealth for a few hours, gained about 2.5 levels and no stuttering even picking up legendaries.

If you think you've found it, no need to mess with INIs, but since Sim Settlements is so scripting intensive it recommends some INI changes. They've helped with my own issues.

Glazius fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jan 11, 2018

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Glazius posted:

If you think you've found it, no need to mess with INIs, but since Sim Settlements is so scripting intensive it recommends some INI changes. They've helped with my own issues.

I haven't had crashes due to script activity but I do get occasional hitching which I'm pretty sure is script related - would those changes help with that or are they just allowing the game to not die from script overload?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also, small but important note regarding wildlife in Horizon. Two headed animals have a dominant head which you can tell by targeting it in VATS, this head controls the body and is the one that takes headshot levels of damage, the other head is vestigial and won't significantly injure the animal if you shoot it. Check which head you need to shoot first! Took me a while to figure this out but once you do it makes a lot of sense and adds a funny element to hunting :v:

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

OwlFancier posted:

Also, small but important note regarding wildlife in Horizon. Two headed animals have a dominant head which you can tell by targeting it in VATS, this head controls the body and is the one that takes headshot levels of damage, the other head is vestigial and won't significantly injure the animal if you shoot it. Check which head you need to shoot first! Took me a while to figure this out but once you do it makes a lot of sense and adds a funny element to hunting :v:

Hahaha oh my god. That's brilliant.

EDIT: But is it ~~canon~~

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I know right? I initially thought it was bugged out because I couldn't figure out why sometimes they took no damage from headshots and sometimes they took lots, but once you notice that specifically each head takes different amounts of damage it clicks.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Terrorforge posted:

This is pretty much exactly what I wanted it to be. Almost invincible but very hard to maintain!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I haven't had crashes due to script activity but I do get occasional hitching which I'm pretty sure is script related - would those changes help with that or are they just allowing the game to not die from script overload?

It's been mostly a not-die thing for me, but no harm in giving them a try. You can always just pull them out again if something breaks.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You're lucky to find a single piece of armor on most frames, but joining the Brotherhood still gives you a complete set of T60.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Am I alone in finding something deeply funny about all the phobia mods? Like I get that a phobia isn't the same as finding something scary, but somehow being in an irradiated wasteland ruin of our world and what bothers you is cockroaches, tickles me just right.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Seashell Salesman posted:

Am I alone in finding something deeply funny about all the phobia mods? Like I get that a phobia isn't the same as finding something scary, but somehow being in an irradiated wasteland ruin of our world and what bothers you is cockroaches, tickles me just right.

You mean the Joecrematorium series of mods that replace various creepy crawlies for those who find them unpleasant? Then no, I don't find that particularly funny. Even setting aside the fact that people's tastes and hangups never make logical sense, Fallout 4 is very bad at making you experience the horrors of life in the wasteland so the disturbing appearance of certain enemies legitimately is the scariest thing the game has to offer.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'd be lying if I said the stingwing buzz doesn't unsettle me a bit but that might just be cazador flashbacks.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Terrorforge posted:

You mean the Joecrematorium series of mods that replace various creepy crawlies for those who find them unpleasant? Then no, I don't find that particularly funny. Even setting aside the fact that people's tastes and hangups never make logical sense, Fallout 4 is very bad at making you experience the horrors of life in the wasteland so the disturbing appearance of certain enemies legitimately is the scariest thing the game has to offer.

No fallout game has ever done this, so it's an awfully specific complaint to tie to the fairly unrelated topic of "anti-phobia mods".

Some people legit just can't handle even depictions of some things, like spiders. I had a teacher like that. She knew it was irrational, but that's what phobias are, irrational.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

OwlFancier posted:

I'd be lying if I said the stingwing buzz doesn't unsettle me a bit but that might just be cazador flashbacks.

the cazador buzzing doesn't unsettle me.

the "you are feeling woozy" sound effect does.
Also I assume that by "unsettle" you mean "piss the gently caress off"

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Midnight Voyager posted:

No fallout game has ever done this, so it's an awfully specific complaint to tie to the fairly unrelated topic of "anti-phobia mods".

That was in response to

somehow being in an irradiated wasteland ruin of our world and what bothers you is cockroaches

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Terrorforge posted:

This man has never been deathly afraid of spiders. Back in the day the spiders in Thief 1 scared me so much that I couldn't progress. That sound... So I can totally understand the mod for Skyrim that like, replaces all the spiders with bears. Luckily I'm not cripplingly terrified of anything anymore, but I understand the feeling.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Not sure how anyone came to the conclusion that I don't want phobia mods to exist, but so that it is explicit-- I don't have anything against phobia mods (or really any mods I can think of off the top of my head). That is totally orthogonal to their existence being absurdist comedy to me.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
If I could be so easily entertained. Still they got a function.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is there a mod that speeds up the VATS shooting? I want everything to run at normal speed once I start shooting.
I figure there would be one, but I can't find it.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

Is there a mod that speeds up the VATS shooting? I want everything to run at normal speed once I start shooting.
I figure there would be one, but I can't find it.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/1064/ is what you want :V

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

I see it in both ways, that's a cool service, and yeah, grimdark survival mode, drug/magic fuelled hero and ohno large insects/arachnidae, I'll just die now and never leave the vault/caves.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Is there steam workshop integration? I'm not seeing it.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

In New Vegas, weapons were holstered visibly right? On your side for pistols and melee weapons, on your back for rifles and bigger weapons, etc.

Is there a mod that adds that to Fallout 4? I've seen a couple while browsing but the descriptions seem kinda sketchy so I'm wondering if anyone has anything specific they use that works well.

E: Are you sure, Seashell Salesman? I have VERY vivid recollections of how silly the gauss rifle looks since it drat near drags to the ground when it's on your back, and every 3rd person screenshot I've googled for in the past five minutes has them.

khy fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jan 15, 2018

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

khy posted:

In New Vegas, weapons were holstered visibly right? On your side for pistols and melee weapons, on your back for rifles and bigger weapons, etc.

Is there a mod that adds that to Fallout 4? I've seen a couple while browsing but the descriptions seem kinda sketchy so I'm wondering if anyone has anything specific they use that works well.

There was no holstering in New Vegas, no.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

There was no holstering in New Vegas, no.

There was but just for the weapon you had equipped currently. There's a mod to show holstered weapons in Fallout 4 but its like a separate item you make that goes in an armor slot.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Has anyone tried the Unbogus Fallout Overhaul or Immersive Gameplay and if so, how are they?
I want something which rebalances the game in a similar sort of way to Horizon, particularly with regards to the horrible health-bloat that happens at high levels, but Horizon is just getting too big for my tastes.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
Is there a SPECIAL reset mod that plays nice with Horizon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Pwnstar posted:

There was but just for the weapon you had equipped currently. There's a mod to show holstered weapons in Fallout 4 but its like a separate item you make that goes in an armor slot.

In many ways FO4 feels like several steps back from F:NV. This is one of them. I am disappoint.