Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

RivensBitch posted:

Hey guys how's it going?

That Komplete 4 you sold me wayyyyyy back with a neat discount when is still with me and has seen every upgrade there was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

I need help making my recording setup not sound like poo poo for bass.

Software:
- either audition or reaper
- guitar rig 5

interface:
- Yamaha Steinberg 2 (via usb )

Mics:
- sm57 & 58
- apex 435
- kick drum mic whose brand I forgot, but has been used to record bass by someone who knows what they're doing and it sounded good.

My problem is recording bass. Vocals I can do a half decent job on, same with guitar, but bass I loving suck with. I've tried doing mic'd, line in, both, it all sounds like garbage. Right now I'm working on something that involves needing the bass to sound like the tone on discharge hear nothing see nothing, but the best I can do is shittier disclose. It's noisy, no definition, the bottom end is uncontrollable, and it sounds like farts put through a broken metalzone. Not really what I'm going for. This is the best I've gotten it though, and it's line in mono through an acoustic 450 preamp section, 1/4 jacks all the way.

On the other hand, my clean tones are similar wrt the bottom end, but they're super trebly and I can hear every little pick noise on the strings.

Please help me. My current conditions mean recording either line in or fairly quietly means I have to get a little inventive with my set up, and I'm not looking to get them super shiny and professional sounding, just less like total rear end. The Steinberg feels like the weak link, but i wonder if there's something else I need in the chain to control/shape the signal more before it hits guitar rig? Is guitar rig even right for what I'm trying to do?

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
I've been told that EQing does wonders for bass. I haven't gotten around to that yet, so if that's not a solution I'm throwing my hat in for also having this problem. Also REAPER/GR5

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Eq'ing at what stage though? Ive tried eq in audition/reaper but theres still a ton of tone missing.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

Are you talking about something that sounds roughly like this?

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

I can post an example input track when i get home, but roughly.

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

I dunno if you're experiencing the same sort of problem that I was, but my bass line-in to interface sounded a lot better when I started using a DI Box. It's a really lovely (<$100) bass paired with a pretty good box (Seymour Duncan Paranormal) though, so your results may vary.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Ive been chatting with a friend and he thinks its my choice of preamp. Its old and from the 70s and only sounds good cranked... and its not really intended as a preamp. so he suggested a golden age preamp if i wanted something good but relatively cheap.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
I'm trying out Pro Tools First after it came bundled with a new interface. It also came with Addictive Keys and Addictive Drums 2....

When I create a new stereo instrument track in PT, addictive keys shows up as an available instrument, but addictive drums 2 doesn't. Any thoughts? Anyone run into this problem? I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling a few times.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Scarf posted:

I'm trying out Pro Tools First after it came bundled with a new interface. It also came with Addictive Keys and Addictive Drums 2....

When I create a new stereo instrument track in PT, addictive keys shows up as an available instrument, but addictive drums 2 doesn't. Any thoughts? Anyone run into this problem? I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling a few times.

Maybe it's a weird quirk with Pro Tools, but Addictive Drums (both 1 and 2) also have 'multi-out' options for their audio routing, so maybe it's just not showing you the stereo option? I don't know why that would be, that's exactly how I load it up, but I know the multi-out option is also there, so maybe Pro Tools is only seeing that.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Maybe it's a weird quirk with Pro Tools, but Addictive Drums (both 1 and 2) also have 'multi-out' options for their audio routing, so maybe it's just not showing you the stereo option? I don't know why that would be, that's exactly how I load it up, but I know the multi-out option is also there, so maybe Pro Tools is only seeing that.

Well, after doing some more digging through XLN's support pages, it appears that they do not support Pro Tools First, has to be 10, 11, or 12. But Addictive Keys shows up... Fuckin weird.

I'll take a look at the outs. Thanks!

EDIT: XLN got back to me. Said neither should show up in PT First since they don't support it. Said it's a bug that AK did at all. Ah well.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jan 10, 2018

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Can anyone tell me how well those zoom recorders that can double as a audio-interface work? I think both the h4n and the h6 does it, but are they any good in that role? Or is it just trading a lot of sound-quality for a little bit of convenience and saving some money?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I have an H4n but never tried it. I'll test it and let you know by sunday.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Pondex posted:

Can anyone tell me how well those zoom recorders that can double as a audio-interface work? I think both the h4n and the h6 does it, but are they any good in that role? Or is it just trading a lot of sound-quality for a little bit of convenience and saving some money?

I've used the H6 as an interface in a pinch before, and my experience was more that you're sacrificing a little sound quality and a lot of convenience for a little money. It worked, but it's definitely designed as a field recorder so using it as an interface just felt very jury-rigged in terms of controlling trim and cable management.

If you don't need the field recording capabilities, you'd 100% be better off looking into a Scarlett or something. If you do need both, you'd almost assuredly be better off with one of those SoundDevices MixPre3s that came out last year that's designed from the ground up to do both. Those are a bit more expensive, but SoundDevices is top of the line for field work and the reviews I saw made the interface capabilities look a lot better than what I experienced with the H6.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I have convinced my buddy to get back into rapping so we can make some terrible hip-hop together and I am helping him with a small setup to record vocals and send to me. I gave him my old Scarlett Focusrite 2i2 which should cover him for interface and preamps, but he is willing to purchase a mic and I wanted to give him a good recommendation for around $100. I currently have a Sterling Audio SP50 which I got in the package with the SP30 a long time ago and it is pretty average at best.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

CaptainViolence posted:

I've used the H6 as an interface in a pinch before, and my experience was more that you're sacrificing a little sound quality and a lot of convenience for a little money. It worked, but it's definitely designed as a field recorder so using it as an interface just felt very jury-rigged in terms of controlling trim and cable management.

If you don't need the field recording capabilities, you'd 100% be better off looking into a Scarlett or something. If you do need both, you'd almost assuredly be better off with one of those SoundDevices MixPre3s that came out last year that's designed from the ground up to do both. Those are a bit more expensive, but SoundDevices is top of the line for field work and the reviews I saw made the interface capabilities look a lot better than what I experienced with the H6.

Yeah, I'm not married to the zoom-brand. I just thought it was neat to have both functions in one device, since I can see myself getting into some podcasting eventually.
That Mixpre3 does look really good though.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

MrSargent posted:

I have convinced my buddy to get back into rapping so we can make some terrible hip-hop together and I am helping him with a small setup to record vocals and send to me. I gave him my old Scarlett Focusrite 2i2 which should cover him for interface and preamps, but he is willing to purchase a mic and I wanted to give him a good recommendation for around $100. I currently have a Sterling Audio SP50 which I got in the package with the SP30 a long time ago and it is pretty average at best.

Shameless bump. Willing to spend a little more than $100 if there is a particularly good mic just above that price. I would also like some basic vocal recording advice. I have a Scarlett 18i8 interface that has pretty decent preamps but am unsure of what else I should just have on my vocal chain within Ableton. I have an acoustic shield and pop filter which should help with noise since I have no vocal booth to record in my little office studio. I have Nectar 2 and use that a good bit when I want a quick preset that gets me most of the way there but would like a better fundamental understanding of how to record vocals. Would appreciate any suggestions on resources to help me along as well.

MrSargent fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jan 16, 2018

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

SM57 with pop filter for recording, SM58 for live?

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

MrSargent posted:

Shameless bump. Willing to spend a little more than $100 if there is a particularly good mic just above that price. I would also like some basic vocal recording advice. I have a Scarlett 18i8 interface that has pretty decent preamps but am unsure of what else I should just have on my vocal chain within Ableton. I have an acoustic shield and pop filter which should help with noise since I have no vocal booth to record in my little office studio. I have Nectar 2 and use that a good bit when I want a quick preset that gets me most of the way there but would like a better fundamental understanding of how to record vocals. Would appreciate any suggestions on resources to help me along as well.

the go-to suggestion for a good $100 mic is the sm57 (or in your case the sm58, which is the same thing but with the larger grille for vocals). i've read that preamp impedance affects them pretty noticably, but i've always enjoyed how mine sounds on the occasions i use it for vocals.

i don't have much advice for vocal chains, especially for rap. i do indie rock and punk type stuff, usually, so my go-to chains usually involve compression, delay, and reverb, and from there i might use some distortion or modulation or formant shifting based on that particular song. i don't know how much if any of that might work for you.

also, if you haven't already, check and see what your vocals are like both with and without the shield. the way they're designed can do some weird things with reflections in the low midrange, and i end up not using mine on 80-90% of the vocals i record. i will note that i don't do much rap, so your needs may be way different than mine, but it's something to check and listen for. i ended up just getting a dozen thick moving blankets and layering them on the walls and ceiling in a closet as a vocal booth.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Thanks a lot for the tips guys. I did some research on the Shure SM58 and saw that it is a dynamic mic instead of a condenser mic. I don't plan to take this mic out of the studio so durability isn't really an issue. I also read that a large diaphragm condenser microphone will have a better low-end response/warmth and the vocalist I am working with has a really deep voice. Not sure if any of this should factor into it and some of the lists online are ridiculous in that they have 10 mics listed ranging from $100 to $4k which isn't really helping anyone make a decision.

the numa numa song
Oct 3, 2006

Even though
I'm better than you
I am not
I couldn't tell you if it's the best option, but as I understand it, the Rode NT-1A is a solid condenser for the price, though it's a bit more than your budget. I have a deep voice and mine serves me well.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

the numa numa song posted:

I couldn't tell you if it's the best option, but as I understand it, the Rode NT-1A is a solid condenser for the price, though it's a bit more than your budget. I have a deep voice and mine serves me well.

Not gonna lie, that Rode absolutely caught my eye but yah $230 is a bit expensive for us. I did see a lot of good reviews for the AT-2035 Large Diaphragm Condenser Mic, and would be interested if anyone has tried one out. They seem to be quite versatile and it comes with a shock mount, xlr chord, and pop shield.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

you're right that LDCs are definitely going to be better in the low-end, but their whole price bracket is shifted up from dynamics to get similar quality. the $100 rec is usually the sm57 for that reason, and i'd say it wasn't until i paid $600 for an LDC that i found one that i thought sounded good enough to use instead of my 58 more often than not. if you're not pressed for time, you can find decent stuff on ebay or reverb. i've definitely managed to snag a couple of deals that would normally have been out of my budget just by keeping an eye out for a couple months, and i've been super happy with them.

that said, the reviews for the 2035 do look good, so it's probably not a bad option, especially if it gets you up and recording!

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008
Ive got a really weird problem with my home set up and i was wondering if anyone had any advice...

Ive just purchased a Behiringer Uphoria UMC204 which im intending to use with Cubase 5.

Ive connected everything and it works ok both inputs and outputs.

The issue is that when i set up a mono track to record audio, for some reason Cubase defaults it to a stereo track, even if i select a mono track, select the mono bus, ensure the right mono inputs are selected, it records a mono track but only on one half of the channel so i can pan it left but not right.

Ive tried re installing cubase, removing the stereo bus, everything. As soon as i open cubase, i delete the stereo bus, re add the mono bus, select mono track, it still records like it thinks its a stereo track.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Ok so I have been browsing Craigslist and came across a local Rode NT1-A for $150 and the seller says he has only used it twice. That seems like an incredible price and I will most likely get this if all pans out well when I meet up with him and test it out. One thing I have read when scouring reviews of this mic is that it can sound "bright" at times or sometimes put too much emphasis on the high end? Wanted to get your thoughts on that and if that would likely be an issue.

the numa numa song
Oct 3, 2006

Even though
I'm better than you
I am not
I never felt that, but that's just my ears. /shrug

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

I never felt that, but that's just my ears. /shrug

Thanks a lot for the help. Would you say that is a pretty solid deal then? I have inquired as to whether it comes with the pop filter and shock mount since they weren't in the picture (but the soft bag was). Funny enough, my "meh" Sterling Audio Microphone set (small and large condenser) came with a super hard plastic case that snap-locks shut. Surprised me that the Rode only came with the soft bag.

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

I recently got a Rode K2 and have read similar things about some people saying it sounds too bright, but I have yet to record anything that's made me think I need to cut the high end beyond what I normally would. The K2 came with a nice hard shell case that has a space for the shock mount and pop filter. Not sure if the NT1-A would fit into it but you can find them online for around $40.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I may have an opportunity to produce a song from a singer-songwriter who has worked with some of my favorite musicians, which is really cool. The downside is I've been doing this for less than a year and am a big baby. So I kinda feel like I set myself up for failure. Then again, these kinds of opportunities don't happen every day so time to make some lemonade.

My solution is to see if I can hire (affordably) someone who knows what they are doing to be a second pair of ears. I'll make a rough mix and send a private SoundCloud link, they'll tell me everything that sucks and ideas to fix it. We'll repeat this a few times and before we know it, it is good and I have upgraded from baby to toddler. At the very least ive put together something decent and didn't completely embarrass myself by pooping my diaper in front of someone cool.

There are websites like SoundBetter and Airgigs, but those seem expensive and they seem like maybe they'll want to mix/master themselves. But some of them have impressive credits so maybe I could email a couple with my plan and they might lower their rate?

Otherwise, there are always forums like this, but part of the agreement with the singer-songwriter in question was that I don't publicly share anything until they signed off on it. Sending a private link to one person is most likely okay. And I would prefer that person been doing this for a while, which is easier to find on SoundBetter or AirGigs than on forums.

And of course the opportunity could fall apart at any moment as these things tend to do, but it seems like having a plan in place is a good idea.

What do you folks recommend?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

so i've got a wurlitzer 200. when i play, apparently my neighbor directly below hears me. like the actual hit, the pressing of the note, not the tone from the piano. and apparently, it really annoys him! i didn't realize it would do such a thing, especially since i had another piano not too long ago and that was fine? in any case, what can i put under this thing to help? will carpet suffice? do i need something thicker/denser?

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I’m aiming towards a portable, no computer/laptop set up for recording, so if I’ve got a few Vocas, and eventually the nifty Volca mixer, is there a thread recommended digital recorder to buy so I can save my digital noise for posterity?

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Cultural Marxist posted:

I’m aiming towards a portable, no computer/laptop set up for recording, so if I’ve got a few Vocas, and eventually the nifty Volca mixer, is there a thread recommended digital recorder to buy so I can save my digital noise for posterity?

i dunno about thread recommended, but it looks like for coming out of the volca mixer you could just grab an rca to 1/8th inch cable and a zoom h1 for maximum portability. someone else might have other recommendations, though, especially if you don't have the mixer yet.

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

CaptainViolence posted:

i dunno about thread recommended, but it looks like for coming out of the volca mixer you could just grab an rca to 1/8th inch cable and a zoom h1 for maximum portability. someone else might have other recommendations, though, especially if you don't have the mixer yet.

Ah brilliant, that’s exactly the sort of thing I was looking for, thank you!

FlowerOfInfinity
May 10, 2009

Abel Wingnut posted:

so i've got a wurlitzer 200. when i play, apparently my neighbor directly below hears me. like the actual hit, the pressing of the note, not the tone from the piano. and apparently, it really annoys him! i didn't realize it would do such a thing, especially since i had another piano not too long ago and that was fine? in any case, what can i put under this thing to help? will carpet suffice? do i need something thicker/denser?

When I got my electronic drums I got a drum mat to go with them, seems to absorb impacts pretty well (I'm in a block of flats), that might work? Obviously it doesn't completely stop noise but it helps.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

I ended up finding a Rode NT1-A through a local FB Page for selling music gear. It was practically new and I got it for $170. The guy selling it had originally purchased it to double-mic vocalists but then quickly realized that was just overkill for his needs. My buddy and I got the mic back to my house and hooked it up to lay down some bars and the difference between this and my previous mic is like night and day. The Rode sounds so drat clean and crisp, going to be fun producing the vocals today.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

Things I've learned so far:

* If you do something halfassed, you're going to be doing it twice.
* Yes, you do need to doubletrack guitars.
* After working too long, you will start to get the psychobrain where everything you do sounds bad. Notes perfectly in tune will sound flat, phrases played perfectly in time will sound temporally challenged. It remains unclear which grievances you have will remain valid until the next day.

I have no idea what I'm doing.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

oops misread that

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
Is there any specific downside to usb mics for home vocal recording? There's that audio technica one idk what it's called exactly but it's a $150ish usb condenser and comes with line out which seems pretty useful?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

The major concerns would be lack of compatibility with standard audio gear. Is its line-out 3.5mm TRS or 1/4"? If it's 3.5mm then to go from that to any kind of mixer or signal processing unit you're going to need an adapter.

Basically you'll have trouble using it for more complex setups later, but if all you plan on doing is vocals direct to your computer then it's probably fine, assuming the mic is good enough for the job, which I can't guess at without having used it myself. Audio Technica is an OK brand though and for $150 I'd expect at least a decent mic, maybe a little better than a 58.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

AverySpecialfriend posted:

Is there any specific downside to usb mics for home vocal recording? There's that audio technica one idk what it's called exactly but it's a $150ish usb condenser and comes with line out which seems pretty useful?

There are definitely some downsides to a USB mic that you should consider. What type of computer do you have and are you recording vocals for songs? Latency can be an issue with USB mics and the quality is not going to be as good as your standard condenser microphone. Do you have an audio interface with preamps? A USB Mic wouldn't be able to take advantage of these and you can get a pretty decent interface now for about $100. I feel like if you are going to spend $150 on a mic, you can get a pretty solid condenser especially if you are patient and buy used. I got a Rode NTK1-A for only $170 just a couple weeks ago and it is miles better than a USB mic.