Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

You don't need Leviathans for that! I know the trading outposts are really popular with people here for some reason, but you can trade with regular empires as well, often at a much better exchange rate. Yeah, it's not always reliable and it has downsides, but people keep saying that "trading one resource for another" is a Leviathans-only feature and that's just not true.

It's a question of quantity. If you are running a massive energy surplus and converting thousands of it to minerals on a regular basis, the AI empires will not have enough resources on hand to keep up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
When you're trading in 10k energy every few months it might as well will be :v:

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Truga posted:

I sure hope the global pacifier weapon icon is just a gigantic pacifier behind a tiny planet :v:

wiz pls

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nuclearmonkee posted:

It's a question of quantity. If you are running a massive energy surplus and converting thousands of it to minerals on a regular basis, the AI empires will not have enough resources on hand to keep up.
The trader enclaves really should have some kind of stockpile system.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

You can research a thing to drop FE shielded planets is that going to be a thing for the superweapon version?

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

Nuclearmonkee posted:

You can research a thing to drop FE shielded planets is that going to be a thing for the superweapon version?

No, it's a permanent change. Wiz explained that to make it like the FE ones would be way too much coding and tracking of poo poo to fit in. In the stream it gave the planet a +10 society mod for a research station though, I think.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Main Paineframe posted:

You don't need Leviathans for that! I know the trading outposts are really popular with people here for some reason, but you can trade with regular empires as well, often at a much better exchange rate. Yeah, it's not always reliable and it has downsides, but people keep saying that "trading one resource for another" is a Leviathans-only feature and that's just not true.

Yeah it's a question of quantity, other empires generally won't have the quantity you want lying around. Also I'm used to all of them hating me anyway.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Aleth posted:

No, it's a permanent change. Wiz explained that to make it like the FE ones would be way too much coding and tracking of poo poo to fit in. In the stream it gave the planet a +10 society mod for a research station though, I think.
Presumably once your society goes into decline and a bunch of new upstarts rise to take the galaxy they will be able to research and release your prisoners while developing their own, different again "impenetrable" shield.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

Splicer posted:

Presumably once your society goes into decline and a bunch of new upstarts rise to take the galaxy they will be able to research and release your prisoners while developing their own, different again "impenetrable" shield.

The dimensional stability matrix begins to break down after a few millennia enabling this to happen. :techno:

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

I'm da prettiest, so I'm da boss.

Baus is boss.

Aleth posted:

Kind of a shame about the society research. Society is largely a pretty front loaded tree. I still want to shield people but I'd be doing it for idiom. The planet cracker seems the more useful all-out option if it's a system you'll be taking.

Then again, I can see using it as a humiliation tactic on someone you've stomped. Shield their home world before taking whatever border systems.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Please let there be a new Fanatic Pacifist fallen empire that starts putting planets in a time out if they get too aggressive.

"Tsk tsk, you've been a bad little fanatical purifier, haven't you? Go sit over there and think about what you've done, mmkay?"

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

MilkmanLuke posted:

Kind of a shame about the society research. Society is largely a pretty front loaded tree. I still want to shield people but I'd be doing it for idiom. The planet cracker seems the more useful all-out option if it's a system you'll be taking.

Then again, I can see using it as a humiliation tactic on someone you've stomped. Shield their home world before taking whatever border systems.

If you are some kind of non-space hitler shielding the world is probably allowed while blowing the planet up or scouring all life from its surface is probably not.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

One would also assume that shielding a world would incur less of a rep hit with everyone else than blowing up an inhabited planet and shoving the carbonized remains through a refinery to build more planet destroyer nukes out of.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Playstation 4 posted:

I mean if I made this, Spiritualists, Authoritarians, and Xenophobes would all suck and have events telling you you're a terrible person, so...

Xenophobes, fine.

Authoritans, fine.

But Spiritualism has been responsible for as much charity and good as pain and suffering.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Bloodly posted:

Xenophobes, fine.

Authoritans, fine.

But Spiritualism has been responsible for as much charity and good as pain and suffering.

Spiritualism in Stellaris reeks of organized religion and anyone arguing that organized religion is a source of charity an good historically is confusing the actions of religious individuals and the organization pretty hard.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Spiritualism is cool cos it really takes on the character of your other traits, I like my xenophile/spiritualist/pacifist psykers. I like to think they're nice friendly hippies who just happen to command unspeakable horrors from beyond the veil if you get on their bad side :kimchi:

It's also fun in that spiritualists and materialists are both actually correct about the universe.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jan 11, 2018

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Spiritualism is cool cos it really takes on the character of your other traits, I like my xenophile/spiritualist/pacifist psykers. I like to think they're nice friendly hippies who just happen to command unspeakable horrors from beyond the veil if you get on their bad side :kimchi:

Just lol if you don't play authoritarian spiritualist slavers of the inferiors who were not chosen by space Jesus to rule the galaxy.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Just lol if you don't play authoritarian spiritualist slavers of the inferiors who were not chosen by space Jesus to rule the galaxy.

I mean practically I kind of do, in that I keep inviting everyone over for tea and giving them psychic STDs so that they fit into my society better. Anyone who does not come to tea is clearly evil and that's what the warp horrors are for.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

I mean practically I kind of do, in that I keep inviting everyone over for tea and giving them psychic STDs so that they fit into my society better. Anyone who does not come to tea is clearly evil and that's what the warp horrors are for.

The xenomorphs have to be fed somehow.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Aleth posted:

The dimensional stability matrix begins to break down after a few millennia enabling this to happen. :techno:
New isolationist run: start on gaia world, end game by encasing it in an impenetrable shield to keep the comparatively horrible rest of the universe out.

Also a gimmick run where I gaia then bubble planets so they stay perfect forever :shepface:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Nuclearmonkee posted:

That does happen eventually, yeah. But empire trade can sustain you for a while. When it starts dropping off, that just means your neighbors can no longer keep up with your economy. And if the empires around you don't have the economic power to sustain a fleet as large and powerful as yours, well...:toughguy:

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Truga posted:

When you're trading in 10k energy every few months it might as well will be :v:

You're welcome.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Wiz posted:

You're welcome.

Neat, also appreciate that it adds mineral output directly to the planet so that your matter-energy conversion machine doesn't work better when you flex at it.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Wiz posted:

You're welcome.

There is no :vince: big enough.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Splicer posted:

New isolationist run: start on gaia world, end game by encasing it in an impenetrable shield to keep the comparatively horrible rest of the universe out.

Mmmmm that's that Spathi good poo poo I like

Wiz posted:

You're welcome.

:yeah:

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Wiz posted:

You're welcome.

This is interesting because presumably you could reduce its maintenance with the Prosperity tradition tree and increase its mineral output with planet modifiers/Mineral Processing Plants for extreme efficiency.

Edit: Unless I'm misunderstanding how the minerals are added to the planet via a modifier for the latter.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jan 11, 2018

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Wiz posted:

You're welcome.

Hooray for less busywork clicks.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Magil Zeal posted:

This is interesting because presumably you could reduce its maintenance with the Prosperity tradition tree and increase its mineral output with planet modifiers/Mineral Processing Plants for extreme efficiency.

Edit: Unless I'm misunderstanding how the minerals are added to the planet via a modifier for the latter.

You could reduce upkeep, but could not increase mineral output.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
Ready to blow up some planets.

I mean LEX has planet cracker ships, but you don't get to mine the remnants.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
The titans and death ships sound awesome! To be honest, the God Ray gives me the creeps, though. If I ever end up joining a multiplayer game, I probably play as a SkyNet-AI, because being killed is still better than being brainwashed like that. :lol:

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

wiegieman posted:

You could reduce upkeep, but could not increase mineral output.

There go my min-maxing hopes.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Wiz posted:

You're welcome.

Bold Robot posted:

There is no :vince: big enough.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I am going to mod the god ray to say WOLOLOO

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Are there other upkeep reducers than the -10% (?) tradition in Prosperity? Without any upkeep discount the opportunity cost of not having a mine on the tile instead probably makes those less efficient than just selling to trade enclaves, and it's not that many clicks that often. Hunting down the buildings if you need energy again would be a lot more effort. With -10% upkeep you could think of it as +7.5 minerals compared to just selling to enclaves, which makes it competitive with mines but you need to be sure you're never going to have an energy crunch again. Unless +minerals empire modifiers work on the planet mineral bonus?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Staltran posted:

Are there other upkeep reducers than the -10% (?) tradition in Prosperity? Without any upkeep discount the opportunity cost of not having a mine on the tile instead probably makes those less efficient than just selling to trade enclaves, and it's not that many clicks that often. Hunting down the buildings if you need energy again would be a lot more effort. With -10% upkeep you could think of it as +7.5 minerals compared to just selling to enclaves, which makes it competitive with mines but you need to be sure you're never going to have an energy crunch again. Unless +minerals empire modifiers work on the planet mineral bonus?

Trade Enclave isn't going to be able to trade endless amounts anymore after 2.0 drops.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I understand why pacifists can't use the planet cracker for its primary offensive purpose, but as far as I can tell it's the only one with a peaceful application (cracking open uninhabited worlds for minerals).

eta: OK, you can god ray your own worlds but still.

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jan 11, 2018

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Staltran posted:

All mods stack

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Wiz posted:

You're welcome.

Incroyable.

Being no-diplo Purifiers is gonna be way more forgiving now.

Please tell me I can build an entire planet of these, so that I can activate-deactivate en masse.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Wiz posted:

Trade Enclave isn't going to be able to trade endless amounts anymore after 2.0 drops.

This plus the resource converters is going to help balance the economy AND reduce micro! Thank you for your service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Wiz posted:

gently caress

Well assuming those get mining drone optimizations etc they're going to be pretty nice. Especially if you get a couple +minerals repeatables, but that's probably going to be much harder with the tech cost changes. If the edict/processing plant modifiers apply you could get+55% reasonably easily, but I'm guessing planetary modifiers don't get applied.

• Locked thread