Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer
My vehicles both lack cruise control. I miss it every time I drive on the highway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Radar cruise control is the best. I just set it 5 over the speed limit (which means the actual speed will be right on the limit) and if the guy ahead of me is going a little slower the CC will just adjust my speed and keep the distance.

It makes long trips a lot less fatiguing.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I use cruise literally every day.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Thief posted:

do people actually use cruise control unironically?

I only have a 10 mile commute, but a good mile and a half of that is a heavily policed 30mph zone through a city park. It's so wide open that without cruise, I find myself going 45+.

Cruise has saved my rear end a bunch of times.

See also: fresh off the interstate, going through a small town with 30mph surface streets.

Faster Blaster
Feb 6, 2010
Yeah, CC is really great for avoiding tickets for me personally. I have a tendency to inch past my normal not-worth-it-to-pull-over-speeding and into free-money-for-the-local-gov't-speeding.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Thief posted:

My car didn't have it installed from the factory but I spent $200 to buy a kit that included all of the parts to add it.

If you drive on the highway for more than a few miles its almost mandatory.

glyph posted:

Same here. I got three tickets for speeding on the highway in the ~2 years before I installed cruise control on my car, every time it was because I wasn't paying close enough attention to my speed during long 4+ hour trips.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I used to think of it as a luxury item until I took a 30 hour road trip without it and got blisters on my heel. Now cruise control is mandatory, just in case

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The last non-cruise control trip I did was from Chicago to NYC in a single stint, which is about 13 hours. Then I had to drive back a few days later.. my ankle protested loudly at being held stationary for that long.

This was in the aforementioned 2008 yaris, and is why I was harvesting cruise control stalks out of junkyards. :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The last time I got a ticket was when I had cruise on.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

xzzy posted:

The last non-cruise control trip I did was from Chicago to NYC in a single stint, which is about 13 hours. Then I had to drive back a few days later.. my ankle protested loudly at being held stationary for that long.
That's weak and maybe you're just old mate

xzzy posted:

This was in the aforementioned 2008 yaris,
On second thought fair enough, carry on.
I've done all my long up/down/cross country drives without c/c, but at least they were in 10y/o ford falcons - a car literally made for that type of trip. 89 EA falcon for east-west in 1999; 1997 EL falcon for south - north trips in 2007.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jan 11, 2018

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Thief posted:

like do long haul truckers even bother?

autopilot is great in airplanes but on the road i don't feel comfortable trusting anything other than TCS

I used to just plant my foot and bounce off the speed governor instead of using cruise control in the tour buses I drove. The actual cruise control lit up a LED on the dash that was right in my vision and bright as gently caress.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I wired up cruise control in the S2000 because I missed it so much after switching to an aftermarket wheel

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

ionn posted:

On manual transmission cars you can usually lightly touch the clutch instead to cancel cruise control without giving it away (and just like the brake, the switch triggers long before the pedal actually does anything).

Not many manual Crown Vics out there.
(yes, that worked on my RX-7. In fact, I had to fix the clutch switch, or more accurately the contact pad on the brake pedal, because the plunger was going through the hole in the pedal arm where the pad was supposed to be, and therefore never opening the switch, making the CC think the clutch was disengaged all the time.)

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I thought Cobalts had it on the steering wheel? Every Cobalt I've seen did, but the only ones I've been in were post-facelift. Not all Cobalts were drive by wire either; the first couple of years had a cable.

Bro-in-law's Cobalt is an early model - 2005.

slurry_curry posted:

I was under the impression(at least for the aw11 mr2) that cruise control was a dealer add-on option. I will have to dig my mr2 parts out of the garage, but I know I *had* the full cruise control setup from my last aw11, but I think I threw them out last time I cleaned up the garage. If st165 celicas used the same part, there is a good chance I have one in the boxes of spares, but those are inside the celica which is not currently at my house.

I believe that the CC can be a dealer add-on, on both the Corolla and the MR2 around that time. Part number for the stalk is the same for 09-1985 - 07-1987 Corollas and 11-1984 - 06-1985 AW11 MR2s (part # 88285-19025). Later AW11 stalks work if you swap the entire combo switch as well (design change, but plugs in and functions the same). The correct stalk is NLA. The '85-89 MR2 stalk is still available, but $165, but I would need the entire combination switch, which is $ouch.

Looks like the ST165 put it on the steering wheel:

AE86/AW11 are a separate stalk on the right side of the steering wheel (in the US.):
http://www.hachiroku.net/forums/forum/main-category/tech-and-performance/22122-effin-cruise-control-probs

If you've got an early AW11 stalk or later combo switch and stalk, I'll happily buy them from you.

Enourmo posted:

My P71 has both power driver's seat and cruise control. Could the PO or whatever department it worked for have swapped in one or the other?

Possibly. I'm going by what I found online after I bought my 2005 and started researching, so YMMV. It's not terrifically hard to add either, really. I think yours is still cable throttle, so would require a cruise actuator. Mine's DBW, so probably just needs the steering wheel with switches, and programming.
It's entirely possible that the power seat wiring is in all the cars I forget if I checked in mine. Would just require the seat and the door panel with switch in that case.

um excuse me posted:

People complaining about pushing buttons to adjust vehicle speed to match traffic on the highway :psyduck:.

I did say "First World Problems". Though, since cruise has been around for over 50 years, it's not exactly a luxury feature any more, and is quite useful for preventing fatigue on long trips.
Me, I just like all the stuff on my car to work as intended.

xzzy posted:

I use cruise control at every opportunity, especially on days where my foot is a little over eager and my speed keeps sliding upwards. Hit the CC button and chill.

It's even better in a car with adaptive control, let the computer keep me at pace with traffic.

That.

glyph posted:

I only have a 10 mile commute, but a good mile and a half of that is a heavily policed 30mph zone through a city park. It's so wide open that without cruise, I find myself going 45+.

See also: fresh off the interstate, going through a small town with 30mph surface streets.

And that.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Thief posted:

The only thing worse than people who don't use CC are people who use it incorrectly:

The Door Frame posted:

Doesn't tapping the gas also drop out of CC?

Aside from maybe the tiniest fraction of older vehicles, do people actually think this is the case? I hate it when people have their cruise set to 2MPH above the speed limit and hop in the passing lane to pass a truck but refuse to step on the gas to help speed up the situation.

Just step on the gas, pass the truck, move over and you'll go right back to the speed you were at. That's more annoying than passing someone clearly not using CC and then they immediately pass you back and then slow down, rinse and repeat. Like, I get it, you're not using it, try and pay better attention though.

Having done some work on some non US market Honda's, I found it interesting that cruise is not canceled upon a clutching in. Cruise will resume as soon as the vehicle is back in gear and the clutch is released. Took my by surprise the first time it happened.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I never use cruise control, my reason may be kind of silly, but here it is:

I don't want to rest my right foot anywhere other than on the gas, because if I need to brake fast for some reason my reaction time will be longer with my foot somewhere other than on the gas (or brake). The whole point of cruise control is not to have to watch the speedo, but if my foot is resting on the gas it's not comfortable for me to give it *no* gas, and as such I still have to watch the speedo to make sure I'm not giving it more than the cruise control is, thereby removing the point of using cruise control. Add to that the fact that I am so accustomed to just lifting off the gas when I need to slow down on the highway instead of braking, and the whole thing just makes me feel less in control. It is one reason I wish I'd gotten the HUD in my car, as not having to glance down to see the speedo would make things easier.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I don't want to rest my right foot anywhere other than on the gas, because if I need to brake fast for some reason my reaction time will be longer with my foot somewhere other than on the gas (or brake). The whole point of cruise control is not to have to watch the speedo, but if my foot is resting on the gas it's not comfortable for me to give it *no* gas, and as such I still have to watch the speedo to make sure I'm not giving it more than the cruise control is, thereby removing the point of using cruise control. Add to that the fact that I am so accustomed to just lifting off the gas when I need to slow down on the highway instead of braking, and the whole thing just makes me feel less in control. It is one reason I wish I'd gotten the HUD in my car, as not having to glance down to see the speedo would make things easier.

You do you. I just keep my foot near the gas/brake, usually resting against the trans tunnel.

Also, I just wanted to say I love your avatar, and spent some time looking up a bigger version of (with the extra feet.)

Wonder of wonders, I just found an MR2 combo switch for a reasonable price on eBay ($55 + $10 shipping). Think I may go for that.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

To make you feel less weird, I feel pretty much the same way for the same reasons.

Having never used CC apart from being curious how it worked learning to drive in HS, I honestly had no idea so many people relied on CC everday. Totally eye opening for someone who lives/grew up in urban environments. (Also have never heard of CC as some kind of defense against speeding tickets, and I'm 30+)

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Any ideas on what this car used to be?

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

1963 Ferrari 250 GT maybe?

based on the rim design

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

The part of Ferris Buellers Day Off that was left on the cutting room floor.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Looks like it was a four door to me.

Definitely not the Ferrari though, assuming that silver bit over the tire is/was a door handle.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Thief posted:

autopilot is great in airplanes but on the road i don't feel comfortable trusting anything other than TCS

just lmao

I drive on Phoenix metro surface streets for 99% of my seat time, rarely any freeways, and use CC every single day. Sit in the middle lane with CC set for speed limit or matching whatever jack rear end I'm behind and crank up the tunes. Left foot on the dead pedal and right resting flat in front of the brake. My SRT-4 didn't have CC and the most exciting thing I did to it was fab cruise for it. Not a ported turbo, not 3" baby seal killing exhaust or manual boost control. It was cruise. ("Props" to Chrysler laziness for parts binning so much of their entire lineup that something like this is even possible lol)

It's okay, even if you like driving, to not treat it like the world's most archaic process.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

Lightbulb Out posted:

Any ideas on what this car used to be?

Early model Jaguar XJ?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Darchangel posted:

Looks like the ST165 put it on the steering wheel:

It's in the same spot on my 88 Supra and I use it loads. How you gonna have a car with cruise control and leave your foot on the pedals like some poor?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

El Laucha posted:

1963 Ferrari 250 GT maybe?

based on the rim design

Is it a real knock-off wheel or a 5 bolt wire wheel? "Modern"multi-layer unibody with lots of straight/square lines says it's probably not a Ferrari, the square silver thing near the wheel may be the best clue - door handle?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Solar Coaster posted:

Early model Jaguar XJ?

That's the impression I'm getting, but beyond the wire wheel, I can't really point to anything that seals it.

edit: tiny bit higher res version of one end of the car.

The silver bit is the door latch mechanism. That really looks like a GM A-6 AC compressor pulley up there on the left, which would make this the front end, and an A-6 would be consistent with Jag parts sharing at the time, I think.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jan 11, 2018

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Always trust your gut I guess because I was thinking some kind of Jaguar as well, but couldn't spot anything that could be considered actual evidence.

Maybe it's the shade of red, as that's a very Jaguar hue.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Another image, 1920 x 1280 and not scaled up, and I just realized that we're more or less looking at the top of the car. That wheel is rotated almost 90 degrees "up".

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Same in 3000x1687:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Thief posted:

I use it all the time, mostly late at night on my way home. The city I live in and the ones bordering it are notorious for stopping people for 2 mph over when you're the only car on the road (even on the highways), so I always set it a touch under the limit when I'm the only one around.

Also on road trips.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
https://twitter.com/PopMech/status/951544495992008704

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Only popular mechanics could make a really interesting topic for a video painful by trying to strip it of all technical information and leaving nothing but highlights and rapid cuts.

Of course the source is painful to watch in its own way, but at least it has more information:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wke296XzgWE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vElCOug8Fw

Faster Blaster
Feb 6, 2010
Inspired by all of the CC chat, I decided to try resoldering my CC module. Voila! This old VAG POS has CC again, and it only took 20 minutes.

The terrible car stuff was the board's half-assed conformal coating. It was literally halfway dipped, so 50% of the connections were gooped with the stuff while the others remained exposed.

E: Well, that and the fact that it took me over a year of ownership to do this.

Faster Blaster fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jan 11, 2018

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Dick Dicer's Autoerotic Transaxle Emporium > Post terrible car stuff in this thread: A thousand pages of Cruise Control

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

At least you have a good reason. I used cruise control once in 1996 and just never bothered using it again. Although normally if I'm on a long drive it's through the mountains where I'd rather shave some speed going up and gain some back going down anyway.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

thechalkoutline posted:

Having never used CC apart from being curious how it worked learning to drive in HS, I honestly had no idea so many people relied on CC everday. Totally eye opening for someone who lives/grew up in urban environments. (Also have never heard of CC as some kind of defense against speeding tickets, and I'm 30+)

yeah, same. i live in Baltimore and can count the number of both red light and speeding cameras in this city on one hand.

95 connects me to everything on the east coast from Florida to NY and even Canada, which i've only driven to once.

if I goto DC its only like 45 minutes at the worst so its not like my foot is gonna get tired. and tbh I've never bothered to try it on longer road trips - like I have never exhausted myself so much to even have the concept of CC cross my mind but then again i never drive more than 4-6 hours at a time so basically i'm that dude you'll find chillin at various rest areas standing in line with whatever random local beef jerkey brands they have

maintaining a comfortable speed while staying on the road by steering the car just seemed like such a connected natural aspect of driving that i had always just assumed that CC was just something people used briefly while shuffling through their back seat to grab a bottle of water or something.

even as a nerd that splits maybe 40-50 hours a week on the road between MPG oriented business and clutchkicking pleasure i hadn't yet considered being stuck on a straight line road forever with nothing to look at but the horizon

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
anyway, was going through my phone and found some wonderfully terrible things spotted around town:

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Darchangel posted:

You do you. I just keep my foot near the gas/brake, usually resting against the trans tunnel.

Also, I just wanted to say I love your avatar, and spent some time looking up a bigger version of (with the extra feet.)

Wonder of wonders, I just found an MR2 combo switch for a reasonable price on eBay ($55 + $10 shipping). Think I may go for that.

Here's the version I used to make the avatar, if you didn't manage to find it. My favorite part is the way the extra arms twitch in excitement.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Darchangel posted:

I did say "First World Problems". Though, since cruise has been around for over 50 years, it's not exactly a luxury feature any more, and is quite useful for preventing fatigue on long trips.
Me, I just like all the stuff on my car to work as intended.

A lot of otherwise quite highly specified Japanese market cars completely lack cruise - it's the single biggest complaint I had about my '02 Nissan Skyline and my fathers '10 Legacy GT is the same

E. I really wanted radar cruise and LED lights on my Mazda 3, but it's bundled with the top trim spec which is auto only (which I guess makes sense) and comes with leather and a sunroof (both of which I actively don't want)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

My msp didn't have it because apparently boost fucks with the vacuum operated cruise actuator they used back then, and they didn't wanna fix it for a limited production (<5k) end-of-model special edition.

Saw a dude driving home whose entire undertray had come lose and was visibly flapping under the car. Like all the way down to the road and back up.