Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
BEST KONG
This poll is closed.
Donkey Kong 76 6.13%
Diddie Kong 75 6.05%
Dixie Kong 84 6.77%
Lankey Kong 129 10.40%
Funky Kong 189 15.24%
Mario 198 15.97%
Tiny Kony 65 5.24%
Candy Kong 61 4.92%
Chunky Kong 89 7.18%
Cranky Kong 125 10.08%
Wrinkley Kong (R.I.P.) :qq: 149 12.02%
Total: 719 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

jesus christ I fell asleep shortly after Dog's Life and woke up to 3500 unread posts, good fuckin job thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Coldrice posted:

Lol at people complaining that old games don’t look as good as new games

Retro graphics are dumb and bad. They used those graphics because they were technically limited and unable to make it not look like poo poo. Can you name a game that you think is improved by using primitive pixel art? Yeah, not showing the lovely Alien suit made that movie scarier but it's not like Ridley Scott was breaking out the stop motion kit to captialise on the Jason and the Argonauts nostalgia. They were trying their hardest with what they had.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

https://youtu.be/PRCd2VVmLXw

this needs to be at awful block someday

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

ullerrm posted:

jesus christ I fell asleep shortly after Dog's Life and woke up to 3500 unread posts, good fuckin job thread
Awful Block was an experience.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

HonorableTB posted:

The only thing I remember about Winback was the ammo indicator being an actual magazine for the weapon you're using

It had lethal combat where cover and getting the drop was 90% of a fight (at first at least) and an MGS caliber plot.

Sadly it was on the N64

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Your Computer posted:

Retro graphics are dumb and bad. They used those graphics because they were technically limited and unable to make it not look like poo poo. Can you name a game that you think is improved by using primitive pixel art? Yeah, not showing the lovely Alien suit made that movie scarier but it's not like Ridley Scott was breaking out the stop motion kit to captialise on the Jason and the Argonauts nostalgia. They were trying their hardest with what they had.

source your quotes

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Coldrice posted:

Lol at people complaining that old games don’t look as good as new games

ehhhhhh to me it's more that the lesson to game devs should be "ambition is cool and good" but art design that compliments the technology is what gives you a degree of timelessness

no one on earth, for example, could rationally call super mario world ugly like you could with that GBA kill.switch

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

No one's left... Everything's gone...! Zebes is burning!

ullerrm posted:

Good news, pretty much the rest of Awful Block was an incredible adventure. Except for Bubsy and a couple games following it. I think there's a couple posts in the slow thread saying exactly what was excellent and where to follow along in the thread.

BuckFiddy
Aug 4, 2017
Holy poo poo finally watching Arabian Nights. This is art.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009
MechaRichter looks like someone i would love to have as an uncle

like the weird uncle who doesn't really get along too well with other grown-ups but would bond with his nephew over video games

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

financially racist posted:

source your quotes

Your “source your quotes” Computer

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

Just spare yourself the Secret of Evermore run if you can.... or don't, if you wanna know what all the fuss was about. I'm still not quite over that guy and his drat chicken song.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
it's actually kinda amazing how much of this game star fox 64 reuses but at a good framerate and as an on rails shooter

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Elliotw2 posted:

this game was slated to come out a month after the nintendo 64

That was after numerous delays due to how tough it was to develop. The game was hosed one way or another.

uh oh pancho!
Sep 3, 2004

THE MARATHON WAS COMPLETED SUCCESSFULLY

CLEAR TIME SGDQ18

oh poo poo WR?

e: nevermind looking at wrong category

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
cool guys don't look at explosions (because it reduces lag)

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

tyblazitar posted:

MechaRichter looks like someone i would love to have as an uncle

like the weird uncle who doesn't really get along too well with other grown-ups but would bond with his nephew over video games

fun fact: mecharichter does most of the perlers

he is a cool and good dude

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

YOUR
THEY SOURCED
THE QUOTES
AND ESCAPED
TO THE THREAD
COMPUTER

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

whoa seriously? my respect for him increased even more

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Oyster shoutout!

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

He seems kinda unapproachable on the GDQ streams but a while ago I ended up chatting with him on his twitch channel for like an hour while he was doing Richter runs in SotN and I can confirm that he is a cool and good and totally chill dude. We talked about how many controllers he destroys per year/month/day with his Richter run practice and how he has to wear a glove or the controller will completely gently caress his hand and fingers.

MechaRichter is a-ok in my book :thumbsup:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hooray for Oyster

Now kill this game.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
only 20s over zallard's pb/wr

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Glad to hear Oyster is doing things besides Megaman.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

perlers are dope projects to do with your nieces and nephews can confirm based on experience

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

tyblazitar posted:

whoa seriously? my respect for him increased even more

yep, he also livestreams the process of making them.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Roflan posted:

It pains me to say this but this game has a few Chris Roberts hallmarks: It has unfocused gameplay, a scope too large for the target hardware, annoying anthropomorphic NPCs, a framerate you can literally count and it's 25 years late.

:drat:

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

yooo shout outs to my rando boy Oyster (heh heh heh heh)

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Xenothral posted:

Good news, pretty much the rest of Awful Block was an incredible adventure. Except for Bubsy and a couple games following it. I think there's a couple posts in the slow thread saying exactly what was excellent and where to follow along in the thread.

I actually didn't care for Superman 64, but Arabian Nights, Enviro-Bear 2000, Dog's Life and TITENIC (dear lord, the cutscenes!) were hysterical and/or had some really jaw-dropping stuff.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

source your quotes

Your Computer is a powerful poster

Artic Puma
Jun 22, 2007

Chef Curry with the pot, boy!

https://youtu.be/PRCd2VVmLXw

this needs to be at awful block someday

Holy poo poo. LMAO

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

yep, he also livestreams the process of making them.

i think i need to follow his twitch and watch him now and then, there's just something about him i find really endearing and chill

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Time for

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

GO GO POWER RANGERS!

Good morning thread.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
last time i watched this it was a hilarious clusterfuck of zip tech so hopefully it's similar this time

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

I love Mega Man and all of its alternate timelines

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

Fun fact: the only noise complaint I've gotten in this apartment building after living here for ~8 years was playing the Power Rangers theme too loudly

Barudak
May 7, 2007

That chart is bad. Megaman is blue and shoots bad robots.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Finally woke up after surviving Awful Block, I miss anything spectacular?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

abraxas posted:

Fun fact: the only noise complaint I've gotten in this apartment building after living here for ~8 years was playing the Power Rangers theme too loudly

That's a wonderful reason for a noise complaint, honestly.

• Locked thread