Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
BEST KONG
This poll is closed.
Donkey Kong 76 6.13%
Diddie Kong 75 6.05%
Dixie Kong 84 6.77%
Lankey Kong 129 10.40%
Funky Kong 189 15.24%
Mario 198 15.97%
Tiny Kony 65 5.24%
Candy Kong 61 4.92%
Chunky Kong 89 7.18%
Cranky Kong 125 10.08%
Wrinkley Kong (R.I.P.) :qq: 149 12.02%
Total: 719 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

HonorableTB posted:

What platform is the SFC?

SFC = Super Famicom = SNES

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Hey kid we're giving you a choice of three bosses to fight first! Oh, did you select the ice stage? You hosed up, kid.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Your Computer posted:

what do we name this one?

uh.. cold.....

uh.. man? :effort:

the megaman series, famed for its creative boss names

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

ullerrm posted:

Have to admit, the best part of the awful block was the huge audience for it. Envirobear started at ~3am east coast time? Those fuckers were up late. :3:

Swapping your sleep cycle so you're going to sleep after hotel breakfast caps off your night of drinking is agdq tradition.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Geez, talk about damage sponge, even speedrunning that took a while to get through.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
This is a good megaman

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

No one's left... Everything's gone...! Zebes is burning!

Burner Man, notable for being a bunson burner

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

tyblazitar posted:

the megaman series, famed for its creative boss names

It took nearly 120 games before they remembered that they could use "woman" in the names.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

abraxas posted:

I always found this game interesting to watch and I enjoy the runs of it but looking at it, I can kinda see why it never came over to the US or Europe. It just looks kinda... janky? Like, the sprites of the enemies don't quite fit into the level geometry and poo poo like that. It's weird and I can't quite put my finger on it.

it actually got ported to the GBA for a western release :goonsay:

except that port is even worse because in order to fit the aspect ratio they just cut off the top and bottom parts of the screen. blind jumps ahoy!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I don't know a lot about mega man, why does mega man look like a yu-gi-oh character in this one

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
This loving run is literally unwatchable for me because it has an EXTREMELY high pitched noise (think those old CRT pitches) that I loving hear over everything and it's giving me a headache. Seems like today is their day for technical issues.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Barudak posted:

Its the game that Brutal Legend desparately wishes it was. Its probably one of the most underappreciated/discussed gems of its generation and a Genesis exclusive

Herzog Zwei is fine but way overhyped / rose-colored glasses imo. It's aggressively fine.

It's fine as a predecessor but that doesn't mean it's great.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

I wonder if Wily or whoever is the big bad of this game designed Burner Man kind of like a Burner Phone...

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

Your Computer posted:

I don't know a lot about mega man, why does mega man look like a yu-gi-oh character in this one

Found the pharoh relic

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Kaubocks posted:

it actually got ported to the GBA for a western release :goonsay:

except that port is even worse because in order to fit the aspect ratio they just cut off the top and bottom parts of the screen. blind jumps ahoy!

also I'm pretty sure the gameboy version doesn't let you set a dedicated dash button and you have to double-tap left/right

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

That contrast between the basic buster shot and the Ice Wall on those bosses, wow.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

You might say, when it comes to push and shove, Burner Man is on ice.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Your Computer posted:

Bass, known as Forte (フォルテ Forute?) in Japan, is a Robot Master created by Dr. Wily to imitate Mega Man's design, along with Treble, an imitation of Rush's design. He was created based on a research conducted on Mega Man with the intention of surpassing his power sometime during or before the events of Mega Man 6, and made his debut in Mega Man 7. Bass is the prominent anti-hero of the original Mega Man series, and his goal is to become the most powerful robot in existence. Although Bass and Mega Man are rivals, at times they team up to take down mutual enemies of the two. Despite being created by Dr. Wily, Bass frequently rebels against his creator, usually for his own purposes. Bass was later succeded by Zero, an advanced creation from Dr. Wily.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

SoftNum posted:

Herzog Zwei is fine but way overhyped / rose-colored glasses imo. It's aggressively fine.

Ya -- it's worth acknowledging as the game that basically gave birth to the RTS genre, but I wouldn't go out of my way to play it.

(Incidentally, today is its 27th anniversary!)

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

This loving run is literally unwatchable for me because it has an EXTREMELY high pitched noise (think those old CRT pitches) that I loving hear over everything and it's giving me a headache. Seems like today is their day for technical issues.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if you were actually hearing CRT noises that gets picked up by one or more of the microphones. I remember them turning up the mics of these guys a bit at the start of a run, just kinda weird that you'd hear it now and never before. I guess my old man ears are too damaged cause I ain't hearing poo poo other than game sound and the dudes talking :v:

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Yo, whale ain't having your poo poo.

Tathris
Mar 26, 2010

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Oh thanks, now I can't stop hearing it.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
why's megaman called rockman in these games

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Why is the fire weapon green?

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Tathris posted:

how old are you two? i can't hear anything

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tetracube posted:

Mega Man was originally known as Doki Doki Rockman in Japan

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Tetracube posted:

that's his name in japan

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

this run is cool

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

Your Computer posted:

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Tetracube posted:

the REAL question is why he's ever called megaman. i mean, he's not particularly large.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

Your Computer posted:

Doki Doki Dockman

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Your Computer posted:

He stole Pharaoh Man's millennium power.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

Oh boy the worst Mega Man game I've played!

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

Tathris posted:

Yeah goddammit, it's not the most obnoxious crt noise but it's still pretty bad!

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
oh

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Zeikier posted:

Oh boy the worst Mega Man game I've played!

i envy you

Bastard Man
Nov 15, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

tyblazitar posted:

how old are you two? i can't hear anything

I'm 23 and it's driving me insane, it's kinda bearable with the stream volume really low.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

lmao jesus I didn't know everyone hated Rockman & Forte so much. I know literally nothing about this game other than what I've seen at past GDQs. Is it really THAT terrible?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

abraxas posted:

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if you were actually hearing CRT noises that gets picked up by one or more of the microphones. I remember them turning up the mics of these guys a bit at the start of a run, just kinda weird that you'd hear it now and never before. I guess my old man ears are too damaged cause I ain't hearing poo poo other than game sound and the dudes talking :v:

I was worried that, nearing 30, my ears would be loving dead and also I've been blaring metal in my car for over a decade. But thanks to this run I feel as young as I ever have! Thanks AGDQ!

e: Chat said the 360p compression kills the pitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

abraxas posted:

lmao jesus I didn't know everyone hated Rockman & Forte so much. I know literally nothing about this game other than what I've seen at past GDQs. Is it really THAT terrible?

It's pretty inoffensive but the end of the game is where it gets horrible

• Locked thread