Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

i hate the myth that farron only thought gay people are disgusting while voting for pro-LGBT legislation. No he didn't, he thinks gay people are disgusting and mostly votes that way too.
This is a myth propagated by the guardian who are desperate to vote for the lib dems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

oliwan posted:

I've just now found out that the British liberal democrats apparently had a conservative christian as their main candidate. lol?

He was great. He spent a good year dodging giving a straight answer to "do you think homosexuality is a sin?", then he finally gave an answer no which was completely unconvincing and then after the much talked about Lib Dem fightback never happened despite being the only major national party to support staying in the EU, he resigned and he moaned how bad it was that no one tolerated his bigotry.

Lib Dems are a tremendous punchline and useful reminder that liberalism is a brain parasite.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

jBrereton posted:

after kennedy got spiked I think they realised how un deep their bench was when they all started leaking what each other got up to to the press.

Yeah, remember when they made Menzies Campell leader because they had no-one else. loving lol

Should have kept him tbh, he wouldn't have killed the party like Clegg did.

nopantsjack posted:

i hate the myth that farron only thought gay people are disgusting while voting for pro-LGBT legislation. No he didn't, he thinks gay people are disgusting and mostly votes that way too.
This is a myth propagated by the guardian who are desperate to vote for the lib dems

I just hate the fact that he was such a weasel about it, if it really mattered to him he should have said "I don't believe homosexuality is compatible with Christianity but i'm not going to let that overshadow the responsibility I have to my LGBT constituents"

Instead he lied repeatedly, quit in a huff after a terrible loving showing in the election and cried about how he was being bullied for all the things he said and did

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

forkboy84 posted:

He was great. He spent a good year dodging giving a straight answer to "do you think homosexuality is a sin?", then he finally gave an answer no which was completely unconvincing and then after the much talked about Lib Dem fightback never happened despite being the only major national party to support staying in the EU, he resigned and he moaned how bad it was that no one tolerated his bigotry.

then later he said "btw i was lying all sodomites ARE going to burn in hell"

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Guardian: Oh poo poo! Its an actual progressive and he's advocating all the stuff our terrible opinion writers have been asking for for the past 4 years! We can't support him, that would be stalinism!
Oh thank gently caress, the Lib Dems have a new leader since we got in trouble for supporting Clegg last time. Whats his name? I...Is that a baby in a suit? Who cares! Lib dems are sensible, more sensible than PUBLIC TRAINS!!!!

Tim Farron: I hate gay frogs

Guardian: Uhhh... no he doesn't!

Tom Farron: Yes I do, gay frogs are sinful, like all of us. We are all writhing with sin which is why we can't have anything nice.

Guardian: We all agree with you that nobody should really get anything nice, but are you sure you don't mean you hate the sin but not the sinner? *elbows Farron extremely hard under the table*

Tim Farone: Ouch! No I hate the frog and the gay sex! Stop oppressing me! White male christians are the most oppressed class in this country! I'm in the running for the first Christian PM of the UK!

Guardian: poo poo he's a lunatic, okay, we'll support the loving maniac leninist then.

Corbyn: Bombing people abroad causes terrorism at home. Fund the welfare state to stop people dying.

Guardian: Ugh, trapped between lunatics... when will someone cater to the Sensible Middle.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
He thinks he's going to win this one too and doesn't care if he doesn't imo.

Fallen Hamprince posted:

i can appreciate the Liberalism inherent in simultaneously believing gay sex to be morally wrong while opposing any legislation discouraging it but it's kind of a bad fit for the party that's trying to be the socially liberal fiscally conservative-ish third party
He voted against the 2007 Equality Act (Sexual Orientation) Regulations which ensured gay people have access to all public services.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

jBrereton posted:

He thinks he's going to win this one too and doesn't care if he doesn't imo.

Wasn't he told he'd get his EU pension cut a few weeks ago? This is 100% about that.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Truga posted:

Wasn't he told he'd get his EU pension cut a few weeks ago? This is 100% about that.
He isn't poor and his EU pension is going to be funded just like any other ex european parliamentarian. This is 100% about him wanting to be important again for ego reasons and hoping that if he wins the referendum twice he won't have to go everywhere with a team of bodyguards, because it will break the spirits of the remoaners (it won't and he will).

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

i hope someone shoots his dick and balls off like that american senator

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

i forgot Farron is still an MP

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Please let the next front cover of Inspire be "Damnation for Hypocrite Farron".

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

i'm geordie m8

la forge

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I voted Lib Dem

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Did voting Lib Dem make sense when Labour was Blairite because :confused:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Lightning Lord posted:

Yeah. When Blair was being an authoritarian, warmongering dickhead, the Lib Dems under Charles Kennedy - an actually decent person, despite his liberalism - made a lot more sense.

Now they're just a dying rump party, and good riddance

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Lightning Lord posted:

It was a move to oppose the Iraq War that some people did.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Lightning Lord posted:

Yeah, the Lib Dems were better than Labour on a lot of stuff, namely education, the Iraq war and were opposed to all the nasty authoritarian poo poo New Labour got up to in its bid to win over Sun readers.

Turns out when you poo poo on all that after telling lies :clegg: and an actual left wing alternative comes up, there aren't actually that many people in the country attracted to pure ideological liberalism.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

MikeCrotch posted:

Turns out there aren't actually that many people in the country attracted to pure ideological liberalism.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Lightning Lord posted:

The Lib Dems successfully positioned themselves as to the left of Labour post Iraq War vote until Kennedy got punted. There was little between the social liberalism of Kennedy and Blair on economics, so with Labour acting as America's lackey abroad and their appalling record on social issues like surveillance, detention without trial, ID cards, tuition fees, it was really easy to justify voting Lib Dem in 2005. Less so in 2010 when the Tories were clearly looking less shambolic.

Unfortunately that meant people like Danny Alexander getting elected but nobody was really aware of the Orange Bookers at that point.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
I remember seeing a news item in the mid 00s where the BBC went around a lib Dem conference and asked the attendees to place the parties from left to right and every one of them had the lib Dems well to the left of labour lol

Funny how these things pan out

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Seems a pretty reasonable take for the Blair years tbh, post-2003 new labour was an authoritarian shitshow, all the worst things about the Cameron years were just Blair But More So.

edit: In fact, if memory serves Cameron managed to come across as softer and cuddlier than Blair at one point by being less of an overt oval office to working class youths, the mid to late 00s were weird time to be young

TomViolence has issued a correction as of 18:35 on Jan 11, 2018

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

he wants to return to the good old days back when he was relevant and people didn't poo poo in his garden and his wife still loved him

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

R. Mute posted:

people didn't poo poo in his garden

People do that? Ahahahahahahahahaha.

He's complained about not being able to go out in London as well, hasn't he. He truly is an evil child in Wonka's chocolate factory isn't he.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

R. Mute posted:

he wants to return to the good old days back when he was relevant and people didn't poo poo in his garden and his wife still loved him

That reminds me, I heard it claimed that Trump's golf resort in Scotland has had to put on extra security since he got elected as Scots were sneaking on the green and making GBS threads in the holes. This was part of a stand-up routine so I'm guessing it's either exaggerated or entirely made up, but I'd like to believe it's the case.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Nigel Farage top lad

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Captain_Maclaine posted:

That reminds me, I heard it claimed that Trump's golf resort in Scotland has had to put on extra security since he got elected as Scots were sneaking on the green and making GBS threads in the holes. This was part of a stand-up routine so I'm guessing it's either exaggerated or entirely made up, but I'd like to believe it's the case.

It doesn't happen that regularly but it does happen. Donald is not a popular man with the people who live near his golf course.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

fridge corn posted:

I voted Lib Dem
This is the most embarrassing thing I've seen someone cop to on this forum, and I remember that guy who hosed his dog.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

tarbrush posted:

People do that? Ahahahahahahahahaha.
no idea, it just seemed fitting but also: people definitely do that

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Irony Be My Shield posted:

This is the most embarrassing thing I've seen someone cop to on this forum, and I remember that guy who hosed his dog.

I was proud to vote for the big man himself Big Ed Davey and id do it again given the chance except that I'm moving to a different constituency in a few months and won't be represented by the big man no more

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

R. Mute posted:

the problem with his desire is that he assumes any of those were ever true

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
making GBS threads in non-toilet areas (:airquote:"doing a poo poo" :airquote:) is something british people really seem to like for some reason.

like, i've been out late and run into several men pissing, but london is where they'll be making GBS threads.

oh sorry "doing a poo poo"

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

do the British drink too much?

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

BONGHITZ posted:

they close the pubs at midnight so they rush it

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

BONGHITZ posted:

Oh yes. We're a nation of binge drinkers. We probably don't drink much more than the French but we don't do it with a couple glasses of wine, we get all our drinking into one or two nights a week and get absolutely embarrassingly blootered.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

BONGHITZ posted:

Used to. Nowadays the young can't really afford to, and the next generation are a bunch of teetotal nerds. I think Olds might still, but alcohol consumption is steadily declining. The old 2005-10ish days of everyone getting shitfaced and fighting constantly are long gone.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42657438

John Humphrys Retire Bitch

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

jBrereton posted:

Used to. Nowadays the young can't really afford to, and the next generation are a bunch of teetotal nerds. I think Olds might still, but alcohol consumption is steadily declining. The old 2005-10ish days of everyone getting shitfaced and fighting constantly are long gone.

Now that I’m decisively in my mid 20s (:negative:) I hardly ever drink these days. Nor do a bunch of my friends. In fact there is a couple in my friend group that will just stay in by themselves and get smashed on wine and vodka redbulls and it’s extremely weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Firos posted:

Now that I’m decisively in my mid 20s (:negative:) I hardly ever drink these days. Nor do a bunch of my friends. In fact there is a couple in my friend group that will just stay in by themselves and get smashed on wine and vodka redbulls and it’s extremely weird.
Nah that's just normal and proper adulthood.