Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I think they pushed mitigations to El Capitan and Sierra too. Can anyone confirm this somehow? I thought I read it on a Apple KB article but I can't find it now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Just look here:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201222

No OS-level patches for El Capitan and Sierra, Safari 11.0.2 is probably all those OSes will get.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Binary Badger posted:

Just look here:

No OS-level patches for El Capitan and Sierra, Safari 11.0.2 is probably all those OSes will get.

Based on that help topic, 10.13.2 did the same

Binary Badger posted:

Just look here:

Based on the notes for the Safari update for Sierra/ElCap and the OS update for High Sierra - they do the same thing.

It notes in the High Sierra update that it’s an update for Safari. In the Safari update - same thing. Both have the same notes about migrations for Spectre.

The Meltdown patch came out later last year and was released for ElCap and above.

I wonder why they classed the recent High Sierra update differently - it uses basically the same notes as the Safari update.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So NOX or BlueStacks? I need a good Android Emulator and I'm trying to figure out which one is the best to stick with.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

What are the anti virus and anti malware solutions you guys like to use on your macs?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

None

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Is it possible to browse the "raw" / root iCloud storage for an account?

macOS 10.13 / iOS 11 both have an issue where you cannot clear recents from Apple Maps. I figured I could go into iCloud drive and delete the Maps data. (This has been an issue since betas of macOS 10.13/iOS 11, and all the thread posts I've found on it have dumb solutions like "stop using iCloud".)

I don't know of any app that can browse anything more than the "Documents" view of iCloud.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Bob NewSCART posted:

What are the anti virus and anti malware solutions you guys like to use on your macs?

ublock origin

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Bob NewSCART posted:

Sophos Home for me, antivirus is a requirement due to various compliance certifications.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Yeah I’d argue that it’s good to use an ad blocker such as ublock origin (and umatrix if you understand how it works). Antivirus software is probably not so useful unless you’re downloading lots of windows software from sketchy places on the internet.

Edit: in my experience the workplaces that require AV have the worst security.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Evis posted:

Edit: in my experience the workplaces that require AV have the worst security.

A lot of them have little to no choice if they want PCI, HIPPA, SOC2, etc... certification.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Oh I know. I’m sympathetic to that, but I think there are better ways to achieve what those certs are going for.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Bob NewSCART posted:

We use Sophos at work. Nothing prevents users from constantly installing browser hijackers, but it's better than nothing.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Most larger businesses and educational institutions hawk the Corporate version of Symantec AntiVirus which is still relatively unoptimized for macOS (it will slow down your machine.)

If I had my druthers, I'd use BitDefender; it's unobtrusive but also offers a browser-level plugin in addition to the system protection and its client, as far as I can tell, is the least drag / best virus catching ratio on a Mac CPU I've seen on macOS.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
I have experience on corporate environments with Kaspersky and McAfee on macs, they both are more trouble than they're worth. We're looking for something new but as always the decision is mostly driven by the needs of windows users and then slapping on the mac side of whatever the execs choose. On my home machines I use ublock origin and my think-meat. Don't type in your password into a prompt unless you know what you are authorizing, and just cover java/flash in propane and light it on fire.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Binary Badger posted:

Most larger businesses and educational institutions hawk the Corporate version of Symantec AntiVirus which is still relatively unoptimized for macOS (it will slow down your machine.)

If I had my druthers, I'd use BitDefender; it's unobtrusive but also offers a browser-level plugin in addition to the system protection and its client, as far as I can tell, is the least drag / best virus catching ratio on a Mac CPU I've seen on macOS.

I don't know about Symantec AV, but SEP (Symantec End Point) for Mac is fairly unobtrusive and lightweight. Sophos probably has the lightest touch, but SEP isn't far behind. The only problem is you need an End Point server to use it (as far as I can see). You can buy a single license server (meaning 1 license for the Mac) for about $70/yr. I had one in my home lab for a couple years when I was doing some research on some specific malware. I no longer use it at home, but I don't think the price has changed much.

It's what I have on my work MBP (I have nothing on my personal), distributed by our Security Operations team. I really don't even notice it and I push mine pretty hard at times.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I'm still running Mavericks on my early 2011 15" MBP (2GHz sandy bridge i7). I need to update to at least El Capitan to support new versions of some software I use. Is there any advantage performance wise to only upgrading to El Capitan rather than all the way to High Sierra? AFAIK the GPU doesn't support Metal.

e: my choice actually might be limited to El Capitan (10.11) or Sierra (10.12) as I don't think there are High Sierra drivers for my audio interface yet.

Splinter fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 11, 2018

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
How do I get my Play/pause key (F8) to only work on iTunes? Kind of annoying that I can't just pause my music to watch a video on youtube.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

nervana posted:

How do I get my Play/pause key (F8) to only work on iTunes? Kind of annoying that I can't just pause my music to watch a video on youtube.

As of High Sierra, you have to use something like BetterTouchTool to override the default play/pause functionality

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

nervana posted:

In system preferences under Keyboard there is probably an option to "Use F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys" If that is checked then you have to press the Function key then F8 to get it to do the thing. Not sure if thats whats getting in your way.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
Re AV & malware chat: Is there any reason to use Malwarebytes on a Macbook? I run the free version monthly on my PC, per the PC Build Thread's advice.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
If there is it alludes me.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I've been trying to download High Sierra for weeks but every time I do I try and run the installer I get a failure message that "the recovery server can't be contacted". I've tried on ethernet. I've tried on and off for weeks. I just got nothing.

Is there any chance anyone has a common fix for this before I have to go through the process of customer service?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Splinter posted:

I'm still running Mavericks on my early 2011 15" MBP (2GHz sandy bridge i7). I need to update to at least El Capitan to support new versions of some software I use. Is there any advantage performance wise to only upgrading to El Capitan rather than all the way to High Sierra? AFAIK the GPU doesn't support Metal.

HS has been a buggy mess for me I wouldn't go past Sierra (or maybe stay at El Capitan if you don't have a need to upgrade further

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Bob Morales posted:

HS has been a buggy mess for me I wouldn't go past Sierra (or maybe stay at El Capitan if you don't have a need to upgrade further

I would recommend this too, but if you must go to 10.13 there are third party tools that you can use to download the full installer from Apple and run it as you need.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
High Sierra has mostly been OK for me except my finder sidebar is hosed and just won't show my network drives. The preference is on, it was working fine in regular Sierra, but after the upgrade they just stopped showing up. Dragging them back in does nothing. I'm not the only one with it, either.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
I'll feel more comfortable with high sierra when disk warrior releases 5.1.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I'm gonna go with 10.11 since it doesn't look like everything I use has 10.13 support yet. Follow up question though, how do I download an El Capitan installer? The app store won't give it to me since my computer supports a newer OS.

e: would prefer to do an upgrade rather than a clean install.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

They took Sierra and El Capitan off of the App Store. You either needed to have "purchased" them through the App Store so they show in your Purchased list, or you can get the installer from someone else, or you can pirate them. Am I missing any options? Do the macOS developers have access to previous OS installers?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

^^^ Super Wrong, the listings for El Capitan and Sierra are still on the App Store, but have been removed from public view.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206886

Apple posted:

OS X El Capitan remains available for Mac computers that can't upgrade to macOS High Sierra, or that need to upgrade to El Capitan first.

Right on this very page is the Mac App Store link for El Capitan:

https://itunes.apple.com/app/os-x-el-capitan/id1147835434?mt=12

Same for Sierra:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208202

Sierra can be downloaded at this link:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/macos-sierra/id1127487414?mt=12

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 11, 2018

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Yeah but that doesn't work in my case because my computer supports High Sierra. Gives me a "this version cannot be installed on your computer" when trying to "Get" it.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

^^^ Super Wrong, the listings for El Capitan and Sierra are still on the App Store, but have been removed from public view.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206886

Right on this very page is the Mac App Store link for El Capitan:

https://itunes.apple.com/app/os-x-el-capitan/id1147835434?mt=12

Same for Sierra:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208202

Sierra can be downloaded at this link:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/macos-sierra/id1127487414?mt=12
oh well, that's handy!

Splinter posted:

Yeah but that doesn't work in my case because my computer supports High Sierra. Gives me a "this version cannot be installed on your computer" when trying to "Get" it.
..that's not. Hmm.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

nervana posted:

You can either do it with better touch tool, or you can do it with apple script, or there's an app available called highsierramediakeyenabler.app that is pretty much the applescript.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Ugh, I keep losing right click on both my mouse and trackpad. Last time it was somehow magically fixed by the 10.13.2.2 update, I can still option-click, is there something obvious I am missing?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Good job, Mac virus software:

According to VirusTotal, a multi-engine antivirus scanner, none of 59 popular antivirus software is detecting this malware at this moment, so you are advised to use a 3rd-party tool such as a firewall that can detect and block outgoing traffic.

https://thehackernews.com/2018/01/macos-dns-hijacker.html

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

My employer touts McAfee Endpoint for Windows and macOS, which is complete garbage. Had to uninstall it manually via CLI for the 1709 Fall update to install.

For macOS, we had to remove it via terminal in safe mode in order to upgrade from Sierra to High Sierra.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Why has the lock screen background of my 2013 MBP 15" turned full grey? It's on the latest High Sierra, I have a 2012 13" MBP and it shows a blurred background like all the other macs I use 🤔

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Why has the lock screen background of my 2013 MBP 15" turned full grey? It's on the latest High Sierra, I have a 2012 13" MBP and it shows a blurred background like all the other macs I use 🤔

I had my 2014 MacBook do the same thing. I restarted it and it went away. :shrug:

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Mine did the same for a second when I logged into it this morning. Didn't think much of it, but obviously stupid that I've just grown used to dumb Apple bugs at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I have a 2016 mbp and there are so many little graphical glitches that I can't tell if it's software or hardware.