Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Yes. But that would be a long enough time after the end of everything interesting, that the concept of time will have little meaning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Neato. Thanks folks. :)

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Namarrgon posted:

Infinity is bad for the brain.

Q. F. Fuckin. T.

Thanks for tripping me the gently caress out on this fine morning. Going to be an interesting day.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

What's the name of the property of a coin for whether its faces are right side up when flipped on horizontal or vertical axes?

So in Canada our coins follow Coin B and all the US coins I've seen follow Coin A.

Basically: Why is it okay for presidents to do headstands but not the Queen?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

TVsVeryOwn posted:

What's the name of the property of a coin for whether its faces are right side up when flipped on horizontal or vertical axes?

So in Canada our coins follow Coin B and all the US coins I've seen follow Coin A.

Basically: Why is it okay for presidents to do headstands but not the Queen?

It's called the orientation or alignment, or more specifically the die axis. There are two general types: medal alignment, which is what you have in Canada, and coin(age) alignment like what you see on US coins. As to the why, I'm not sure. Coin alignment is the older one, medal alignment is a later standard. Presumably because it's faster with a hammer to just flip the coin and hammer rather than flip and turn, then hammer.

Not sure there's a great deal of rhyme of reason other than it's a set standard. Medal alignment is the more common sense variety I guess.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

What even makes people wonder about stuff like this? (I love this thread.)

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Is there a way to objectively and accurately determine the time without referring to another clock?
All the SI units can be derived from physical phenomena, but is there actually a definition for the time in the same way, or are we just setting clocks based on a consensus of the most accurate and accepted clock?

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Big Bad Beetleborg posted:

Is there a way to objectively and accurately determine the time without referring to another clock?
All the SI units can be derived from physical phenomena, but is there actually a definition for the time in the same way, or are we just setting clocks based on a consensus of the most accurate and accepted clock?
The SI second is defined by caesium energy transitions.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Nope. GMT is roughly pegged to solar noon at the Greenwich Observatory, but there's drift between it, Universal Coordinated Time, International Atomic Time, etc.

For fundamental physical phenomena, duration matters, but absolute time since the big bang is completely irrelevant.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Big Bad Beetleborg posted:

Interesting podcast about this exact question.

quote:

Dr. Pamela Gay: And the convenient thing is that time, seconds, is also defined somewhat naturally. In this case it’s a bit more complex. It’s defined as the duration of 9,192,631,770 periods of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the two hyper fine levels of the ground state of the cesium 133 atom.
Fraser Cain: Perfect. All right, let’s just move on. That one is pretty straight forward. I think we all understand that. What?
Dr. Pamela Gay: So a lot of people mis-think that time is defined using how long it takes for a half-life to decay or occur or something else because they hear the word radiation. That has nothing to do with this. Light has wavelengths. The wavelengths vary depending on the color of light. Different atomic transitions have distinct colors that correspond to that transition. So the energy needed for a hydrogen atom to go from two to three we see as bomber red. In this case, in the cesium atom, in the ground state, there’s a hyper fine transition, which gets into all sorts of crazy quantum mechanics, but it’s an energy transition. That’s the key point. In 133, at a given temperature, in this case zero kelvin, the radiation emitted, the color of light emitted, the amount of time it takes for nine billion yadda yadda yadda periods to go by, that is defined as one second.
Fraser Cain: Right. So it is like the cesium atom is – Isn’t it – it’s its oscillations, right?
Dr. Pamela Gay: Well, it’s the wavelength of the light emitted by this transition. So cesium undergoes a hyper fine transition, emits a photon, and the photon goes flying away. That photon has a given frequency, has a given wavelength. So if you wait for nine billion yadda yadda wavelengths to go past, the amount of time that it takes those wavelengths to go past, that is defined as the second.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Can anyone recommend or offer any tips on buying a spin bike? A friend is buying one and we don't know much in regard to buying them, am asking in case there are any pitfalls to avoid or brands you'd recommend.

Single person home use.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Q. F. Fuckin. T.

Thanks for tripping me the gently caress out on this fine morning. Going to be an interesting day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDl7g_2x74Q

I enjoy listening to these dorks talk about infinity. It's interesting stuff.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Yes. But that would be a long enough time after the end of everything interesting, that the concept of time will have little meaning.

kedo posted:

Crazy. So it's incredibly unlikely but (almost) guaranteed for something like that to happen in our universe as opposed to some theoretical, untouchable alternate universe operating alongside our own?

Well, if you're going to go with quantum probability, you have to also ask if the chance of quantum fluctuation producing, say, a perfectly uniform universe of a very specific size with a very specific configuration or whatever is more likely than a universal collapse (rendering time finite).

So, there's a nonzero chance the universe collapses on itself and time "ends" prematurely, which renders all states finite, and you need to consider the probabilities of a given event versus universal collapse.

The better question is, how do you want to define infinity?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

PRADA SLUT posted:

The better question is, how do you want to define infinity?

Rebadged Nissans for people with no taste

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

Namarrgon posted:

At the heat death of the universe, random quantum fluctuations can still produce matter. While it is incredibly, astronomically unlikely that random quantum fluctuations will ever poof the complete eiffel tower into existence, if the heat death timeline truly stretches to infinity it is not only, likely, but (almost) guaranteed to happen not once, but an infinite times.

Infinity is bad for the brain.

Any possible-but-improbable event has a probability of happening that increases with time, forming a never-ending sequence 0.9999999.....
The question is, does 0.999999.... = 1?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Phyzzle posted:

Any possible-but-improbable event has a probability of happening that increases with time, forming a never-ending sequence 0.9999999.....
The question is, does 0.999999.... = 1?

As t approaches infinity, yes.

Trouble is, t only exists while spacetime does. If the universe collapses at a non-infinite time, there's a finite non-zero chance that it collapses before t gets close enough to infinity for your improbable event to happen.

If it were absolutely impossible for spacetime to end, then eventually all possible quantum states would come to pass.

Infinity is a really loving long time.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Is sound a form of radiation?

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Baron Porkface posted:

compression/vibration, I believe, but it does radiate...

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Baron Porkface posted:

Yes, and no. "Radiation" is as far as I know, in daily speech, only used to refer to electromagnetic radiation, such as light, radio and microwaves or ionizing radiation. Sound is, of course, something else.
However it would not be wrong to call sound a form of radiation as it does indeed radiate, but as waves through a medium rather than as photon wave-particles. Sound certainly is a way for energy to be transferred to one place to another, which is one reasonable criteria for calling something radiation.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
There is acoustic radiation, which encompasses seismic waves (waves through a medium, like air), but it's not common to call sound waves "radiation", since it's almost exclusively used for electromagnetic waves.

Broadly, radiation is a way of transferring energy in the form of waves. More specifically this refers to electromagnetic waves, but you could refer to seismic waves as "radiation" in a specific context, like at a environmental engineer gathering talking about harnessing earthquakes for power.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'm on the tail end of a cold, and as usual, have a lingering dry cough. Dextromethorphan doesn't touch it. Halls drops work decently while they're in my mouth, but that's not an option at night, and it'd be nice not to have that taste in my mouth all day. What other options are there?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

hooah posted:

I'm on the tail end of a cold, and as usual, have a lingering dry cough. Dextromethorphan doesn't touch it. Halls drops work decently while they're in my mouth, but that's not an option at night, and it'd be nice not to have that taste in my mouth all day. What other options are there?

Codeine is great for coughs if you have some laying around

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Unfortunately I don't. I could go to the doctor and try to get some, though.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
If a cough isn't healing itself, prescription is really the only way to go. Like you note, cough drops don't last long enough to do any good, and dextromethorphan is of questionable usefulness. Codeine's is probably what'd you get, although you might also get something like prednisone depending on where exactly the cough is coming from.

source: long history of getting bad coughs after colds

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

hooah posted:

OTC cough medicines (including drops) are largely placebos. I can never remember the name of the drug, but it comes in tiny-rear end pills called "pearls," and it's prescription only.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Actually DXM does help if you take like 60 to 80 mg instead of the directed 20. That amount will buzz you a little bit, but it's nowhere near enough to get you robo-tripping. Not sure why the prescribed amount is so ineffectively low, but I've always assumed it was a CYA thing on the part of pharma companies.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

DXM makes me throw up even on the child's dosage, and so does most of my family. The perfect thing to augment a cough, :(

I imagine that's why the dose is so low

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Jyrraeth posted:

DXM makes me throw up even on the child's dosage, and so does most of my family. The perfect thing to augment a cough, :(

I imagine that's why the dose is so low

Is it a taste thing? If so, they might sell DXM in pill form near you.

I recommend you take the entire bottle at once and drink some orange/grapefruit juice to wash it down. You’ll forget about your cough while you trip balls to psychedelic music of your choice for 4-6 hours in the dark.

Edit: since this is a place for real questions and real advice: do not take the entire bottle. It is bad for your brain, probably.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Probably it's mostly your liver that will never forgive you.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Lawnie posted:

Is it a taste thing? If so, they might sell DXM in pill form near you.

I recommend you take the entire bottle at once and drink some orange/grapefruit juice to wash it down. You’ll forget about your cough while you trip balls to psychedelic music of your choice for 4-6 hours in the dark.

Edit: since this is a place for real questions and real advice: do not take the entire bottle. It is bad for your brain, probably.

Tried the pills, too. Codeine makes me throw up, too (which is super common according to all the nurses I know). Allergic to Oranges (and pineapple) so your recommendation is extra bad for me :v:

I'm not the original question-asker, though, I get sick rarely enough that I can tolerate the occasional death cough once every couple of years

I think DXM is a precursor to an SSRI? Maybe Paxil? Wikipedia says it has some Seritonin functions so they probably made something out of it that would be bad for your brain AND your liver

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

The barfing could be the guaifenesin (an expectorant) which is added to most cough formulas. That poo poo is the best reason not to drink a whole bottle. Some products contain DXM only, which is what robo-trippers mostly go for. I don't know too many brands offhand, there's Delsym (which is also time-release, which may be ideal), a CVS store brand, and Robitussin makes a few DXM-only but not every store carries those varieties. The best one though is the Dollar Tree store brand if you have those where you are. 15mg softgels x 15; a great value for only a dollar.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Thanatosian posted:

OTC cough medicines (including drops) are largely placebos. I can never remember the name of the drug, but it comes in tiny-rear end pills called "pearls," and it's prescription only.

Tessalon (benzonatate is the generic name). Best thing for a cough, and I am an old-rear end invalid lady who gets way too many coughs.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I think you'll find heroin to be a most effective cough suppressant.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Of course, the only two consistent suggestions (codeine and benzonatate) are prescription-only.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

hooah posted:

Of course, the only two consistent suggestions (codeine and benzonatate) are prescription-only.
Codeine cough syrups can be dispensed without a prescription in some states but you'll have to hit up independent pharmacies.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

kedo posted:

Crazy. So it's incredibly unlikely but (almost) guaranteed for something like that to happen in our universe as opposed to some theoretical, untouchable alternate universe operating alongside our own?

Given infinite time all possible things are guaranteed. If there is infinite time all possible things will happen.

Our universe, as it stands, probably doesn't have infinite time or infinite space but it's so absurdly huge that all sorts of bug gently caress crazy things exist. There's a nebula out there that smells like raspberries and rum.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Gobbeldygook posted:

Codeine cough syrups can be dispensed without a prescription in some states but you'll have to hit up independent pharmacies.
They probably don't help anyway.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Tea with lots of honey and a little lemon juice. Or, hot water, rum, honey, cinnamon, and lemon juice. Or, just straight honey. Tessalon Perles are effective but require a prescription. Codeine cough syrup (by prescription) was really helpful when I had bronchitis.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

That’s weird! I have T3s for when my back gets really bad and if I have a cold and cut one in half it takes care of my cough better than anything else I’ve tried. I always assumed that opiates = respiratory depressants = cough reduction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Our universe, as it stands, probably doesn't have infinite time or infinite space but it's so absurdly huge that all sorts of bug gently caress crazy things exist. There's a nebula out there that smells like raspberries and rum.

it's not as crazy if you think about it backwards. like there's some obscure little planet full of millions of different squiggly random life forms that mostly look like greenish fuzz, and if you take one specific form that fuzz and mix it with some liquid byproduct created by another, even squigglier portion of that fuzz, it kind of smells like the D'riyuxxinaar Nebula.