Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

This recipe is pretty vague in a lot of ways, but I did my best. Will know how it turns out later.

Are you meant to eat the veggie chunk sauce all around the short ribs? I was thinking of making some sharp cheddar cheese grits or maybe just a basic grit polenta to serve it on, and some roast carrots on the side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Roast the carrots in whole coffee beans. Thank me later.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Holy poo poo those short ribs.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ultimate Mango posted:

In?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

The oven.

If you want to sous vide the carrots, do them glazed style like Kenji, like 185 and reduce in a pan to finish.

But with beef, coffee roasted carrots can be real nice.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ultimate Mango posted:

The oven.

If you want to sous vide the carrots, do them glazed style like Kenji, like 185 and reduce in a pan to finish.

But with beef, coffee roasted carrots can be real nice.

Sorry, I wasn’t sure what you meant by “in whole coffee beans”.

I will definitely try this.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

Sorry, I wasn’t sure what you meant by “in whole coffee beans”.

I will definitely try this.

Get whole coffee beans. Nestle carrots in them. You might need like a pound or more of beans depending on how many carrots. Roast. It’s magical. The restaurant ‘Cois’ has a recipe you can find online but it ends up being fiddly and even just roasting the carrots in coffee is amazing.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

ShaneB posted:

Holy poo poo those short ribs.

I've got a pile of ribs from Western Daughters, last one I tried was MC 72 hr. Got something else I should try?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Hauki posted:

I've got a pile of ribs from Western Daughters, last one I tried was MC 72 hr. Got something else I should try?

Did you do it with the crispy microwaved beef and herbs and poo poo? Because that was amazing.

You could do a smoked beef rib?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Hauki posted:

Momofuku's version

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Hauki posted:

Just the 24 hour bomb ones.

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/bomb-braised-short-ribs

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

Momofuku's version

Oh yeah, I thought I’d tried that but I don’t think I ever actually got around to it. I’ll take a look when I get home tonight.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Ultimate Mango posted:

dammit, missed this. I will next time.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

purchased a 6 lb rack of grass fed short rib today for (kill me) $68. ended up splitting the rack in half, and half of the ribs are in the bath right now for the next 72 hours. any thoughts what to do with a bunch of thick, expensive trimmed grass fed beef fat?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

purchased a 6 lb rack of grass fed short rib today for (kill me) $68. ended up splitting the rack in half, and half of the ribs are in the bath right now for the next 72 hours. any thoughts what to do with a bunch of thick, expensive trimmed grass fed beef fat?

Render it down and use it? :shrug:

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Yeah, it's pretty easy to throw it into a slow cooker for a couple of hours to turn it into tallow. Strain out the solids, freeze it to re-solidify, and then use it to sear steaks or fry up the most god drat delicious fries ever.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Is bacon grease too strong a flavor for searing steak? Normally do butter but I have some bacon grease left in my skillet from lunch...

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

People wrap steaks in bacon, so probably not.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Eat some leafy greens. Go for a run.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Bottom Liner posted:

Is bacon grease too strong a flavor for searing steak? Normally do butter but I have some bacon grease left in my skillet from lunch...

Isn't the smoke point of bacon fat kind of low for searing? It's better than non-clarified butter in that regard, but not by much (clar.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bottom Liner posted:

I've used it for that before, probably fine if you're outside, but inside it turns into a smoke machine. I like peanut oil or clarified butter inside

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

I started searing with ghee, it's the tits

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Agreed on the ghee, I don't know why it's not recommended way more. Flavor like butter with a high smoke point -- it's the best of both worlds.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Wow. Ghee's smoke point is 482f? I definitely need to make myself some ghee for searing if nothing else.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Wow. Ghee's smoke point is 482f? I definitely need to make myself some ghee for searing if nothing else.

Yeah, clarified butter tends to have a pretty high smoke point in part since you're removing all those milk solids that tend to burn.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Is it really cheaper to make it than just buy a jar next time you order something from amazon?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Plinkey posted:

Is it really cheaper to make it than just buy a jar next time you order something from amazon?

Well, I can get unsalted butter for $2.50/lb and is typically 80% butter fat. Assuming no loss (I'm sure there is some, but perhaps not much?) you should be able to make ghee for $3.12/lb. The cheapest I see on Amazon is $17 for 32oz ($8.50/lb). You may do better at your local grocery, but even Costco's ghee is $5/lb last I looked.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Well, I can get unsalted butter for $2.50/lb and is typically 80% butter fat. Assuming no loss (I'm sure there is some, but perhaps not much?) you should be able to make ghee for $3.12/lb. The cheapest I see on Amazon is $17 for 32oz ($8.50/lb). You may do better at your local grocery, but even Costco's ghee is $5/lb last I looked.

Huh, I thought there was way less than 80% butter fat in normal grocery store butter.

e: Still seems like a lot of work.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Plinkey posted:

Huh, I thought there was way less than 80% butter fat in normal grocery store butter.

e: Still seems like a lot of work.

If you have a Trader Joe's near you they apparently sell a 10oz jar for $3.29 or something. Might be worth it just to save the hassle.

Edit: Dropped by TJ's and it's $3.99 near Seattle.

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jan 11, 2018

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I wonder if that goon is still a part of it.
Nope

quote:

After leaving Mellow in 2017

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Has anyone tried using a sous vide setup for poaching? I haven't got a circulator, but an old school PID controller hooked up to a rice cooker, so it's ok to use a broth. I'm thinking about trying poached mussels, oysters and fish. I love steamed mussels but they can get a bit chewy. And I don't think vacuuming them is the right way, I think it'll be tastier to cook up a nice broth with onions and wine, then let them steep in it at a precise temperature. Ideas, experiences?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I made some ghee last night to use for searing today. Super easy on the stovetop, although it takes 10-20min and you have to babysit it a bit. I didn't have cheesecloth or a coffee filter so I tried filtering it through a paper towel and that seemed to work fine, but it was very slow.

Cooked a NY strip I'd cut down from a $4/lb roast I purchased around Christmas at 132f for 4 hours. I really like the tender texture strip gets on longer cooks like this. Seared it in ghee and then poured the cooking ghee on top to add some fat to the relatively lean steak. Came out amazing and food costs were like $5.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Ola posted:

old school PID controller hooked up to a rice cooker,

Ola posted:

precise temperature
a PID setup will not give you a precise temp as there's no forced circulation. do this in a pot, don't poison your guests/whoever

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Elizabethan Error posted:

a PID setup will not give you a precise temp as there's no forced circulation. do this in a pot, don't poison your guests/whoever

Oh come on. It's a (pot sized) rice cooker, not a swimming pool. There is more than enough circulation by convection alone, and I can just stir it every now and then anyway. And mussels are regularly eaten raw anyway. When I vizzle something big, the plastic can sometimes trap convection and I need to stir it every now and then, then the temp can suddenly show 2 degrees difference. Only six guests have died so far.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Raw is generally served on ice, in part to keep them out of the danger zone. I won't comment on the safety of your setup though because I have no clue.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Ola posted:

Oh come on. It's a (pot sized) rice cooker, not a swimming pool. There is more than enough circulation by convection alone, and I can just stir it every now and then anyway. And mussels are regularly eaten raw anyway. When I vizzle something big, the plastic can sometimes trap convection and I need to stir it every now and then, then the temp can suddenly show 2 degrees difference. Only six guests have died so far.

Oh come ON! Only six? Step up your game already!

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Ola posted:

do what you want, but it won't achieve any measure of precision as you're relying on currents to move the heat around, and water in a pot doesn't move that much.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Water is pretty good at distributing heat on its own. I was using a PID controller for a couple years before I got a circulator and it was perfectly safe.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Elizabethan Error posted:

do what you want, but it won't achieve any measure of precision as you're relying on currents to move the heat around, and water in a pot doesn't move that much.

Sous vide doesn't need the absolute precision of a circulator. The Sousvide Supreme didn't circulate water and never had any issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I didn't have cheesecloth or a coffee filter so I tried filtering it through a paper towel and that seemed to work fine, but it was very slow.

I stopped using coffee filters for cooking a while ago. For now, if it requires very fine filtration I unfold a napkin (cheapest Kirkland kind that are almost see through when you open them up all the way) or otherwise I use a nut milk bag.

Cheesecloth sold in most stores is shiiiiiiiiiiit