Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

I hear Des Moines has a low cost of living, tremendous job opportunities and all the amenities of Chicago or New York.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The idea of being a 40 year old whose primary experience is the 'gig economy' and who still lives with roommates gives me hives. Like you can be 40 years old and working menial labor, but this guy sounds like he went to sleep when he turned 18 and just woke up and welp, nothing's changed.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

greazeball posted:

I hear Des Moines has a low cost of living, tremendous job opportunities and all the amenities of Chicago or New York.

Just don't live anywhere near any of those job opportunities or supposed amenities and you're golden. :v:

The idea of paying $2,000+ a month to live in motherfucking Iowa is giving me the shakes.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Sundae posted:

The idea of paying $2,000+ a month to live in motherfucking Iowa is giving me the shakes.

All cities that aren't dying are like this. Rents in Houston and other historically affordable cities are also really drat high now.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

greazeball posted:

Jastiger re-reg spotted

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
What is your opinion on gas quality at cheap stations i.e. Arco vs places a dime more expensive

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
It's the same gas, it might very well come out of the same tanker truck.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

What is your opinion on gas quality at cheap stations i.e. Arco vs places a dime more expensive

Sometimes better, small no name stations occasionally sell 100% gasoline but you're never going to catch Shell or Exxon doing more than 90% on a good day.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Midjack posted:

Sometimes better, small no name stations occasionally sell 100% gasoline but you're never going to catch Shell or Exxon doing more than 90% on a good day.

You mean ethanol? Or are you insinuating a mass fraud?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Oh boy that game show dude thinks he's gonna see some relief due to the "tax cuts this year"

For gently caress's sake, Ricky. You absolutely cannot afford to "hold on to a dream as long as you can pay the roof over your head and bills" because then you end up being 39 years old and without, to quote him, an "actual career."

He's literally wasted his entire 20's and 30's...without even enough savings to cover this year's tax bill. Still living with random roommates at that age. What a clusterfuck.

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jan 12, 2018

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

baquerd posted:

You mean ethanol? Or are you insinuating a mass fraud?

He means turning over their tanks.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Twerk from Home posted:

All cities that aren't dying are like this. Rents in Houston and other historically affordable cities are also really drat high now.

I was really excited to come back to Houston after traveling for 9 months and be welcomed with tons of new apartments finishing being built and their abundance of "3 months free" deals. Then Harvey went and hosed that one all up. I came back at the worst time.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Content!:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/7ppwhq/purchased_a_vehicle_in_2016_way_over_my_price/

quote:

My age: 32

income: $82k a year

savings: $40k in personal, $10k in IRA

loans: $30k car loan

I purchased a Lexus GS 350 F sport brand new in March of 2016 for $58k out the door. Way too expensive and quite frankly I'm tired of the car and it's high cost of maintenance/gas. I'd like to downgrade but I have $30k left to pay on the car and I'm not sure what my car is even worth or it is worth downgrading. I'm speaking purely from a financial standout in terms of depreciation, etc. I don't mind driving a toyota or honda, I'm not a brand junkie.

I'm looking to save up more money to buy a house. I live in Cali. Just sold all my terrible investments at a loss and only have $40k to my name. I want this to be about $80k by year's end.

tl;dr bought $58k car in 2016, have $30k left on loan, tired of high payments and gas, want to downgrade but not sure if it is worth it or what my options are

I wanted to read more about the sell off of his terrible investments, but haven’t seen a post about them yet

Cacafuego fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jan 12, 2018

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Was he betting against the stock market or something?

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Cacafuego posted:

Content!:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/7ppwhq/purchased_a_vehicle_in_2016_way_over_my_price/

I wanted to read more about the sell off of his terrible investments, but haven’t seen a post about them yet
How many comments before someone suggests buttcoins?

edit - goddamnit, reddit, no one suggested bitcoin speculation.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
it's r/pf, generally posters there are grounded rational arists

especially in comparison to the rest of the site's demographics (what the gently caress happened to reddit the last few years, jesus christ)

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

cowofwar posted:

How many comments before someone suggests buttcoins?

edit - goddamnit, reddit, no one suggested bitcoin speculation.

Bitcoin is so 2016, check the comments for Ripple

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Moneyball posted:

large stake in Juicero and horse investments

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
I wonder how much he lost on those investments. Hard to believe he lost a ton in one of the largest bull markets in history.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

KingSlime posted:

especially in comparison to the rest of the site's demographics (what the gently caress happened to reddit the last few years, jesus christ)

TRUMP

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

KingSlime posted:

You say this and normally I would agree, but when I clicked on his username to see if he’d made any comments with more clarification, it turned out that the previous three advice posts helpmeplease99999 made were titled “My best friend whom[sic] I am in love with is sleeping with her neighbor’s husband and it’s killing me”, “I found out my coworker and best friend has been sleeping with her boss for years and now I’m creeped out and can’t work”, and “I decided to part ways with my best friend because she’s a cheater and home wrecker but now I have no one”.

Also he somehow went from being 26 to 31 in half a year, presumably because he stopped lying about his age when he started talking about how much of a disgusting whore she is instead of the perfect girl who just can’t see him for who he is.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
He also aged 5 years in 1 month.

What a great person

Splish
Sep 17, 2008

Drunk Tomato posted:

I wouldn't suggest anyone move to Reno or Vegas but maybe he has family in the area or something. Why not move to some burned down rust belt city, rent a room for dirt cheap, and try to find work there?

Vegas and Reno are good places if you don't have a lot of marketable skills since there's so many service sector jobs. And Vegas is pretty cheap if you don't have a gambling habit. Reno is more expensive because of all the economic refugees from the Bay area.

Both are way less horrible than the Rust Belt. I grew up in Ohio and now I live in Nevada and I would NEVER consider moving back.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Moneyball posted:

Has to be biotechs.

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug
Was the BWM thread around in 2008? I can only imagine the stories we will see once the market has a downturn.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

opposable thumbs.db posted:

Was the BWM thread around in 2008? I can only imagine the stories we will see once the market has a downturn.

I am continuously looking at the financial shitstorm that's brewing. It's big, it'll be nasty, but it might take a couple of years for something to go horribly wrong. We will get some great stories though.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Devian666 posted:

I am continuously looking at the financial shitstorm that's brewing. It's big, it'll be nasty, but it might take a couple of years for something to go horribly wrong. We will get some great stories though.

Is it anything besides stagnant wages, ever-increasing cost of living, automation in a country that thinks jobs = morality, and the fact that some large percentage of the country is unneeded by the economy except for their role as debt slaves?

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
That plus the increasing number of financial and other institutions shovelling increasing amounts of real money into buttcoin and craptocurrency speculation.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Blinkman987 posted:

Is it anything besides stagnant wages, ever-increasing cost of living, automation in a country that thinks jobs = morality, and the fact that some large percentage of the country is unneeded by the economy except for their role as debt slaves?

But hey man. Donald is going to make those Medicare scumbag freeloaders work and fix everything.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Sundae posted:

Just don't live anywhere near any of those job opportunities or supposed amenities and you're golden. :v:

Funny story, most of those have been empty, save those rented out to people working for Wells Fargo, Principal, or EMC. Half of why they exist is the big companies funding the Greater Des Moines Partnership's bid to make it into an attractive place for business, and that has included a wholesale revamping of downtown over the last fifteen years. Tons of new housing, a new grocery store last year, and a few million in art projects, mostly because one of the biggest property developers was on board and wanted to push the rents up and drum up business. :P

Des Moines can be GWM, though if you don't pick literally the most expensive possible place in the city to rent. You can get a 3 bedroom house in one of the nicer parts of town for less than those 'flats'.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jan 12, 2018

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Devian666 posted:

For watching train wrecks unfold in real time, nothing will ever compare to the GT Advanced thread about the iPhone 6.

http://forum.thecontrarianinvestor.com/index.php?threads/gt-advanced-technologies-inc-gtat.69/

For people who haven't read this (and if you haven't you are in for a threat), the magic starts to happen around page 320.

some dumbass who lost all his and his mom's money posted:

Don't hate the player, hate the game. Anyway, I earned those shares, I bought most of them at around 3 before anybody even heard of sapphire screens, because I did my DD and understood their R&D efforts and that 2014-15 would likely lead to huge things and their technology would have value over time even if solar was in the tank. To invest basically all your net worth in GTAT at 3 when the stock is cratering and people are talking bankruptcies took some serious cojones but I knew this was a once in a lifetime opportunity and I would kick myself forever if I didn't go all in. Might have been slightly reckless and against all known investment strategies but with big risks, comes big rewards.

Anyway, it is not me you should be jealous of but my mom whose account I manage and has around 415k shares and probably doesn't know GTAT is on the Nasdaq. I have to set up separate accounts for her GTAT holdings so she doesn't see all her positions at once as she has been telling me to sell for it for more than a year and I have to keep telling her to wait and hide exactly how much of her portfolio is GTAT so she doesn't flip out about it.

That was posted probably a couple of hours before Apple announced they were not making sapphire screens and GT Advanced's stock plummeted. Don't hate the player, folks.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

quote:

I am one of those that got hurt bad. I lost over 90% of my 25 years of retirement savings. I have still not recovered. I am working on preserving what little I have left for when I try to retire in 2 or 3 years. It looks like I will now have to look forward living off of social security for the rest of my life. But I think I have faired better than other GT stockholders. At least I didn't lose everything. To this day anytime I hear GTAT even mentioned I get a knot in my stomach.

Purestrain BWM.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Devian666 posted:

Please just wait until I can afford a down payment on a foreclosure.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Krispy Wafer posted:

For watching train wrecks unfold in real time, nothing will ever compare to the GT Advanced thread about the iPhone 6.

http://forum.thecontrarianinvestor.com/index.php?threads/gt-advanced-technologies-inc-gtat.69/

For people who haven't read this (and if you haven't you are in for a threat), the magic starts to happen around page 320.

That was posted probably a couple of hours before Apple announced they were not making sapphire screens and GT Advanced's stock plummeted. Don't hate the player, folks.

oh my god.

same guy posted:

I bought 20K more at 12.95 yesterday because I am an addict I guess, if broke 12.50 would have sold them though. Just trading shares though as will probably sell them pretty soon. I am holding my large position for years but I do trade some when opportunity knocks, this was a risky one but seemed a little overdone to me, but pretty surprised on strength today, lets see if holds.

quote:

You and I have the exact same investment philosophy.

The lower GTAT goes the more I will buy.

GTAT technology and plan is likely good for the next 3-5 years, you can get scared out now as Wall Street tries to kill retail and load up themselves because they understand where this stock is going or you can understand the long game and try to work against the demons in your head Wall Street is good at bringing out that are going to tell you to get out at every turn.

quote:

I am still here, I got some out on the way down but still had a lot on 10/6 and lost most of my fortune, but still have enough to live comfortably and a wife who loves and understands and knows I can make it back in time which is all that matters. As you can imagine I don't really want to talk about it and will be joining the class action suit which will probably lead to almost nothing.

His 415k shares were worth about 5.4 million in profits for a good 6 month period in 2014. Always listen to your mother, folks.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I can't find any price data for GTAT from that day. I really need it to get off on that guy's misfortunes.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

kimbo305 posted:

I can't find any price data for GTAT from that day. I really need it to get off on that guy's misfortunes.

:boom:

(Source: Business Insider)

Cassius Belli fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jan 12, 2018

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

kimbo305 posted:

https://www.historicalstockprice.com/?symbol=gtat

Looks like it almost hit around 18 a share right before the iPhone 6 announcement and dropped to 12 the next day. Which means A LOT of people who should have gotten out could have. But hey, the lower it goes the more I buy.

Within a month it was worth $1.15 a share.

EDIT: the best part is during this time, the stock market was having one of it's greatest bull runs. Like they could have invested this money anywhere and made bank but they decided to risk it all on one company.

And the best quote from the aftermath of the iPhone announcement:

quote:

at least we got a free u2 album

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jan 12, 2018

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
Haha I read GTAT once every few years. It's great stuff.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

opposable thumbs.db posted:

This is magical:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INmqvibv4UU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

So that dude was murdered by his mom when she found out he hadn't sold the shares she'd been telling him to ditch for ages, right?