Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
If you've played Warcraft you will "get" Warhammer. We have a thread for Warhammer books generally. The "black library" one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I have a gift card and I thought I'd lay out some options and let goons choose for me from a few books I'm interested in:

1) Lord Jim, Joseph Conrad
2) Typhoon and Collected Stories ("Typhoon", “The friend of the family of the ‘Narcissus'", “The Shadow-Line”), Joseph Conrad
3) Parade's End, Ford Madox Ford
4) Doctor Zhivago, Boris Pasternak

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Of the three I've read, definitely Lord Jim. Though it's worth saying that both Conrad and FMF are out of copyright and therefore available for free on Gutenberg. I have no opinion on the Pasternak.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Yeah the best overall single book purchase you can make, if you're willing to read older stuff, is a kindle or other ereader, then download everything out of copyright and read it all.

Dr. Zhivago's a great book but there may be other Russian authors to read first depending on where you are.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I really enjoyed the Laundry Files series by Charles Stross. I especially liked the passages where he would describe real-world military/espionage procedures and practices and was wondering if I would enjoy some Tom Clancy style stuff. The only problem is that I have a low tolerance for bad writing (which Stross is definitely guilty of at times).

I'm looking for two separate recommendations I suppose: Good stuff that's similar to The Laundry Files (please not Dresden stuff) and perhaps something along the lines of a Clancy thriller, but well written.

Edit: The concerns I have about Clancy writing quality is that everyone I know of that has read one always caveats any recommendation by saying something like: "It's okay but poorly written".

Gunder fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Dec 31, 2017

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Gunder posted:

I really enjoyed the Laundry Files series by Charles Stross. I especially liked the passages where he would describe real-world military/espionage procedures and practices and was wondering if I would enjoy some Tom Clancy style stuff. The only problem is that I have a low tolerance for bad writing (which Stross is definitely guilty of at times).

I'm looking for two separate recommendations I suppose: Good stuff that's similar to The Laundry Files (please not Dresden stuff) and perhaps something along the lines of a Clancy thriller, but well written.

Have you read Stross' Halting State/Rule 34?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

StrixNebulosa posted:

Have you read Stross' Halting State/Rule 34?

No, the synopsis doesn't really appeal though, at least not in the way that the Laundry Files did.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Gunder posted:

No, the synopsis doesn't really appeal though, at least not in the way that the Laundry Files did.

Fair 'nuff. I'm fresh outta recs, tho. Sorry!

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Thanks for trying. I'm getting to the point where I realise that I might be asking for something that's so narrow, that Stross might be the only game in town.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I have good news my friend. Tim Powers’ Declare scratches the same itch as Stross. Go read it.

If you want to read some well-crafted novels about espionage without the supernatural element, Le Carre is pretty much the golden standard. Len Deighton wrote some decent spy stuff and the rather good alternative history SS-GB.

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI
Wow, The Goblin Emperor was fantastic, glad I saw it here. It's so refreshing reading something so optimistic/upbeat in SFF, especially after reading the incredibly down-trodden latest book in The Expanse series directly before it.

Anyone have other recommendations for SFF where people aren't getting poo poo on the entire time?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

I have good news my friend. Tim Powers’ Declare scratches the same itch as Stross. Go read it.

If you want to read some well-crafted novels about espionage without the supernatural element, Le Carre is pretty much the golden standard. Len Deighton wrote some decent spy stuff and the rather good alternative history SS-GB.

Thanks! I'll give Declare a go!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Gunder posted:

You are making a good choice, and you should celebrate it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Loutre posted:

Wow, The Goblin Emperor was fantastic, glad I saw it here. It's so refreshing reading something so optimistic/upbeat in SFF, especially after reading the incredibly down-trodden latest book in The Expanse series directly before it.

Anyone have other recommendations for SFF where people aren't getting poo poo on the entire time?
Have you read Bridge of Birds?
Other options: The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet is pretty friendly as far as SF goes, nothing amazing though. To Say Nothing of the Dog is a British comedy of manners with time travel, very relaxing read too.

Gunder posted:

Declare is utterly amazing and there's nothing on its level, but if you want more spy-tinted fantasy stuff, you might want to check out the Wolfhound Century books by Peter Higgins (conspiracies in magical not-Soviet Russia) and the Milkweed books by Ian Tregillis (Nazi superheroes versus British warlocks. Less stupid than it sounds.).

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015
Someone recommended Becky Chambers to me here literally four months ago and I finally read it and it was great. Any other similar recommendations?

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Looking for a book recommendation, I've been reading a fuckton of horrible 20th century history over the past year. I'd sort of like to branch out though, maybe get back to fiction.

My recent tear has been through The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich, a biography of Hitler (I think Kershaw?), Mao: The Unknown History, Tombstone: The Great Chinese Famine, Stalin (Radzinsky) and enjoyed all of them quite a bit. I'm almost of a mind to read Churchill's WW2 retrospective, or read something about Japan pre-WW1->WW2, but like I said, I sort of want to branch out a little bit to not-20th-century-history.

Fiction/philosophy I've read (and loved) in the past few years is of (most) Cormac McCarthy, (all) PKD, (all) Iain M Banks, Schopenhauer. Pretty much the only book I've ever hated is Zen and the art of Motorcycle Maintenance. :ohdear:

ninjaedit: and yeah, eponysterical, I know

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
If you don't mind a bit of magic in your 20th century, Declare by Tim Powers has been recommended a couple posts ago and it's great - a spy novel based on the life of Kim Philby interpreted via supernatural phenomena.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I like schlocky-rear end action sci fi, so reccomend me books in the vein of Stars at War.

Under that umbrella I've read things like Old Man's War, Honor Harrington, The Black Fleet/Expansion Wars, the Star Carrier series, Passage at Arms, The Lost Fleet and a good chunk of the Frontiers Sage. E: Oh and that series with Skippy the talking beer can.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

I'm looking for three types of nonfiction. I have a background in microbiology/biochem (and history, but that's not really relevant to this) so academically heavy is fine.

1. Superfund sites books like Toms River. It can be about superfund cleanup in general, specific sites, whatever.
2. Nuclear disaster/criticality accident books like Command and Control, Atomic Accidents, etc. Again, general or specific event is fine.
3. Epidemiology/zoonotic diseases/virology/etc. books like Spillover. Pulpy/sensationalist books with questionable science like The Hot Zone I'd like to avoid.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

13Pandora13 posted:

I'm looking for three types of nonfiction. I have a background in microbiology/biochem (and history, but that's not really relevant to this) so academically heavy is fine.

1. Superfund sites books like Toms River. It can be about superfund cleanup in general, specific sites, whatever.
2. Nuclear disaster/criticality accident books like Command and Control, Atomic Accidents, etc. Again, general or specific event is fine.
3. Epidemiology/zoonotic diseases/virology/etc. books like Spillover. Pulpy/sensationalist books with questionable science like The Hot Zone I'd like to avoid.

Biohazard: the chilling true story rules for #3

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

13Pandora13 posted:

Fukushima: The Story of a Nuclear Disaster by David Lochbaum scared the gently caress out of me. I've read books on Chernobyl and Three-Mile Island, but this one really stands out for describing the sheer number of things that went haywire and why. I highly recommend it.

EDIT: what's really nice about this book is that it places the accident in historical context with other critical incidents. So there's good discussions of the other accidents, why this one was different, but also how those accidents should have served to better inform the operators at Fukushima (but didn't). It also gets into some of the bureaucracy unique to Japan that made things more difficult than they should have been.

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jan 8, 2018

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Voices from Chernobyl: The Oral History of a Nuclear Disaster

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Voices from Chernobyl: The Oral History of a Nuclear Disaster

this is excellent but it focuses overwhelmingly on the human, rather than the scientific, aspect of the disaster, which may not be what pandora is looking for

not that i have a dog in this fight, or anything

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

Fukushima: The Story of a Nuclear Disaster by David Lochbaum scared the gently caress out of me. I've read books on Chernobyl and Three-Mile Island, but this one really stands out for describing the sheer number of things that went haywire and why. I highly recommend it.

EDIT: what's really nice about this book is that it places the accident in historical context with other critical incidents. So there's good discussions of the other accidents, why this one was different, but also how those accidents should have served to better inform the operators at Fukushima (but didn't). It also gets into some of the bureaucracy unique to Japan that made things more difficult than they should have been.

If it's any comfort, my Dad used to work in nuclear power up until a few years ago when he retired, and he reported that Fukushima basically made the US nuclear industry go bananas for safety, again. And this is an industry that's already completely paranoid for safety! (Not without reason!) So - the experts in those fields are all over Fukushima and preventing it from happening. Same with Three-Mile Island and the other disasters.

(He worked in the Nine-Mile Nuclear Power Plant in New York, and was a procedures guy for years and years. Before that he was an inspector in...Arizona? Something with the government. So he's big into safety and regulations and stuff.)

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

chernobyl kinsman posted:

this is excellent but it focuses overwhelmingly on the human, rather than the scientific, aspect of the disaster, which may not be what pandora is looking for

not that i have a dog in this fight, or anything

Yes and no - Command and Control has a lot of human element/discussing the team at Damascus but it doesn't "dumb anything down" so to speak. I'm okay with a mixture of aspects to the book, or even a story like narrative, I just don't want anything sensationalist because it tends to sacrifice science for storytelling (like The Hot Zone, which is just straight up poor epidemiology and fear incitement). I do tend to find the heavier science stuff more interesting.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

13Pandora13 posted:

Global Warming: the Greenpeace Report Edited by Jeremy Leggett, Oxford University Press, 1990

Let me know how depressing it is nearly 30 years later

edit: also consider Waste Management Inc.: An Encyclopedia of Environmental Crimes and Other MIsdeeds A Greenpeace Report by Charlie Cray

Mostly a documentation of decades of poo poo from across the US up until 1991. Its not really a narrative so much as a depressing timeline of how corrupt this company is

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jan 9, 2018

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
My wife and I are trying to find a book we can enjoy together. Looking for a fiction book with humor that isn't a celebrity memoir. It has to be a work of pure fiction. Also, if it's more women driven that's a big plus. Something like Bridget Jones Diary but more contemporary.

People on good reads recommended these but after reading reviews they seem not what I'm looking for.

One for the Money By Janet Evanovich
The Business By Iain Banks
Eligible By Curtis Sittenfeld

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

sonatinas posted:

My wife and I are trying to find a book we can enjoy together. Looking for a fiction book with humor that isn't a celebrity memoir. It has to be a work of pure fiction. Also, if it's more women driven that's a big plus. Something like Bridget Jones Diary but more contemporary.

I asked my friend for recs and got Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan, and Something like Happy by Eva Woods.

e: She's still going! Scarlett Epstein Hates It Here by by Anna Breslaw. (on the YA side)

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 10, 2018

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
White Noise by Don DeLillo

sonatinas posted:

White Noise by Don DeLillo. It’s darkly funny and revolves around a husband and his wife (husband is the narrator).

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

sonatinas posted:

If you're just looking for fun reads, then get a Christopher Moore book. You'll probably like his vampire books (Bloodsucking Freaks, You Suck, Bite Me), since it's about a couple.

For something a little more literary, look into Nicotine by Nell Zink, or maybe one of her other novels.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Franchescanado posted:

If you're just looking for fun reads, then get a Christopher Moore book. You'll probably like his vampire books (Bloodsucking Freaks, You Suck, Bite Me), since it's about a couple.

For something a little more literary, look into Nicotine by Nell Zink, or maybe one of her other novels.

The Stupidest Angel is my favorite Christopher Moore, but the vampire books have a stronger female lead.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

sonatinas posted:

How about The Spellman Files by Lisa Lutz? It's got some detective overtones but it's mostly about a woman trying to deal with her (often hilariously) dysfunctional family. Plus there's five or six books so if you like the characters they'll last you a while.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Thanks for all the suggestions!

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Are the John Carter of Mars books still worth reading? I know that they have some problems, including sexism, racism, and general glorification of colonialism, but they do seem interesting, and there apparently still is a pretty sizable modern fan base.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Are the John Carter of Mars books still worth reading? I know that they have some problems, including sexism, racism, and general glorification of colonialism, but they do seem interesting, and there apparently still is a pretty sizable modern fan base.

applying modern standards of wokeness to pulp fiction from the 1920s is a very stupid way to read. yes, they're still fun if you like pulp adventure stories from the 1920s. they are very firmly products of their genre and time period.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

applying modern standards of wokeness to pulp fiction from the 1920s is a very stupid way to read. yes, they're still fun if you like pulp adventure stories from the 1920s. they are very firmly products of their genre and time period.

I'll go further though:

By the standards of 20's pulp, the John Carter books were progressive.

I mean, they're amazingly racist, sexist, colonialist, etc., by modern standards, but so is almost everything else from that time period.

John Carter is explicitly a Confederate soldier and Burroughs definitely breaks up his martians into Red Men of Mars and Green Men of Mars and Black Men of Mars and Blond Men of Mars and so forth, but he's careful to make the "Aryan"-ish Martians the bad guys, and he's careful to always have One Good One from each race who is John Carter's special friend and a Good Person Despite Everything. When you compare that with, say, Lovecraft, or Haggard, or Robert E. Howard -- all of whom were explicitly and profoundly racist -- Burroughs comes across like he's leading a Pride parade.

The main thing to prep your head for, reading Burroughs, apart from the racism, is that he's inventing a lot of tropes that see a LOT of use in later fiction, so sometimes his stuff comes across now as boring and unimaginative because we've seen it before. (This was one of the big problems with the John Carter movie, which I'm actually a huge fan of -- but all its best scenes were already in Star Wars).

Basically if you have a hard time with Tolkien because orcs are boring and (you feel) kinda racist, DO NOT bother with John Carter, you'll hate it. If you can suspend disbelief long enough to read Tolkien, and can appreciate solid B-movie cheese, give John Carter a try.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Literature is interpreted in the era of the reader, not the writer

There is no way to interpret a novel than through contemporary eyes

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

By this logic we would totally disregard a gargantuan amount of famous literature because it is racist/sexist etc.

It is absolutely possible to read literature whilst taking into consideration the social/political climate of the times in which it was written. Even middle schoolers do it when they read Huckleberry Finn. To say otherwise is simply untrue.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Kvlt! posted:

By this logic we would totally disregard a gargantuan amount of famous literature because it is racist/sexist etc.

I'm fine with that. New books come out all the time, after all.

And Lensman sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Mel Mudkiper posted:

condemning writers of the past for failing to live up to (a particular subset of) the ideals of the present is staggeringly dumb mel