Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Memento posted:

If you have haul trucks on a mine site, you need to make sure you're quarantining light vehicles from every place the haul trucks can go. Otherwise, poo poo gets parked on.

How on earth would you do that? Do you give every engineer and geologist and surveyor and supervisor their own haul truck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

You build separate roads for light vehicles so they don't have to cross paths with haul trucks except at designated crossing points.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

veiled boner fuel posted:

How on earth would you do that? Do you give every engineer and geologist and surveyor and supervisor their own haul truck?

No, you keep them away until the truck is gone.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Platystemon posted:

Yellowstone has six tenths of the world’s geysers.

Yellowstone:geysers::canada:lakes

Yup, I knew all about how geysers functioned in the 4th grade. We learned how hot the water was, how far it could shoot the water, how the areas surrounding it could have geothermal pools that were so hot you would die if you fell in, how those pools could be covered with stuff so you wouldn't know what was under it until it was too late. Dangerous stuff, those geysers.

But our teacher neglected to tell us they were very rare and that they were already found, so we spent many many hours in the woods both worried we were going to get steamed to death by a rogue geyser, and trying our hardest to find a new one.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Collateral Damage posted:

You build separate roads for light vehicles so they don't have to cross paths with haul trucks except at designated crossing points.

Maybe that's feasible in some places but good luck getting your average mine to devote the footprint and engineering and cost to do it, and I don't see it working underground.

Proteus Jones posted:

No, you keep them away until the truck is gone.

That sounds awful close to "shut the mine down every time a non haul truck needs to do anything."

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
How difficult is it to put a few cameras on the truck to cover the blindspots?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Maybe hang a little bell off the bumper of the smaller trucks so the big trucks can hear them coming?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Give each haul truck a drone that hovers 30 feet above and gives the driver 360 degree top-down vision. :science:

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

How difficult is it to put a few cameras on the truck to cover the blindspots?

Or at least something like this (though this and cameras would be a bitch to keep clean in a mine environment):

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
The 'days since last recordable' board at work was updated from 49 to 7 today :confused:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Build a bridge for the light trucks and lower the road for the haul trucks.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

chitoryu12 posted:

And ensure that all trucks have frame parachutes.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

chitoryu12 posted:

What if there are sewer lines below the surface???

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

mobby_6kl posted:

What if there are sewer lines below the surface???

Might be an issue with the whole 'it's a mine' thing.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

spog posted:

Might be an issue with the whole 'it's a mine' thing.
where do we get fresh sewers from if not the sewer mines

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

veiled boner fuel posted:

Maybe that's feasible in some places but good luck getting your average mine to devote the footprint and engineering and cost to do it, and I don't see it working underground.
That sounds awful close to "shut the mine down every time a non haul truck needs to do anything."

What are you talking about? Every mine operated by a company big enough to own a giant truck like that has built their mines to accomodate the requirement to keep giant trucks and everybody else apart. An open pit mine is an enormous structure, easily visible from low Earth orbit; most are measured in kilometres. Mine lease areas cover dozens of square kilometres, minimum, even if the actual pit only takes up a quarter of the space.

Driving around the Millennium Mine in a full-size pickup truck is interesting. You can see lots of giant trucks, gearboxes whining loudly as they go up and down their haul roads. We crossed the entire mine complex, from the entrance to our site on the other side of the river and upstream a few kilometres, without ever crossing a haul road. There are times when you might, rarely, need to put a light vehicle (anything smaller than a bulldozer) into the active mining area. On those occassions, yes, they shut (that part of) the mine down while the supervisors and engineers and so forth go in and get their stuff done. Most often, it's electricians and other service personnel doing things like moving the power cables for the shovel or maintaining the haul road surface, and they'd have to stop active mining anyways.

As for underground, it's not so much giant trucks as endless miles of conveyor belts. The only vehicles I've seen underground were all people-carriers, not ore-haulers.

Footprint, engineering, and cost are what mines are made of. It wouldn't be a mine if it didn't have haul roads or some other efficient way to get ore to the processor.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

ExecuDork posted:

What are you talking about? Every mine operated by a company big enough to own a giant truck like that has built their mines to accomodate the requirement to keep giant trucks and everybody else apart. An open pit mine is an enormous structure, easily visible from low Earth orbit; most are measured in kilometres. Mine lease areas cover dozens of square kilometres, minimum, even if the actual pit only takes up a quarter of the space.

Driving around the Millennium Mine in a full-size pickup truck is interesting. You can see lots of giant trucks, gearboxes whining loudly as they go up and down their haul roads. We crossed the entire mine complex, from the entrance to our site on the other side of the river and upstream a few kilometres, without ever crossing a haul road. There are times when you might, rarely, need to put a light vehicle (anything smaller than a bulldozer) into the active mining area. On those occassions, yes, they shut (that part of) the mine down while the supervisors and engineers and so forth go in and get their stuff done. Most often, it's electricians and other service personnel doing things like moving the power cables for the shovel or maintaining the haul road surface, and they'd have to stop active mining anyways.

As for underground, it's not so much giant trucks as endless miles of conveyor belts. The only vehicles I've seen underground were all people-carriers, not ore-haulers.

Footprint, engineering, and cost are what mines are made of. It wouldn't be a mine if it didn't have haul roads or some other efficient way to get ore to the processor.

Yeah, I've had to pick up material at 2 separate mines, they both allowed light vehicles (light being a relative term, I was driving a truck that was ~10 ton gross), and they had separate tracks for 'light vehicles' and the huge gently caress-off equipment, I had to cross 1 haul road, but that's because they were directly loading my vehicle with material.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The full report on that Dutch barge crane accident. Long story short, there was literally no way for the lift to occur without a terrible accident demolishing buildings and everyone involved with the decision was incredibly incompetent.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
I took a tour of the open-pit gold mine in Cripple Creek. We drove in a small econoline based bus. And I tell you that with little exception we ONLY drove on the haul roads, and we passed several trucks on the haul roads.

Every light vehicle even associated with the mine has a very tall flag on it like a child's bike. Even the delivery vehicles from the local auto parts stores have them, just to bring parts to the light vehicle maintenance shop. The drivers all have to be trained, even the ones from the car parts stores. In this mine the traffic drives on the left. They say it's for safety reasons, but the reasons didn't make much sense at the time. It's probably because they used to be owned by Anglo Ashanti. The geologists used normal F-350s, again driven on the haul roads to the bottom of the mine to plan where to blast next.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Do the Worst Driver shows count?

Netherlands' Worst Driver contestant accidentally hits the gas instead of the brake. He reacts by shutting his eyes as hard as he can and freezing up. It doesn't end well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvckBJP8QPU

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 11, 2018

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

Netherlands' Worst Driver contestant accidentally hits the gas instead of the brake. He reacts by shutting his eyes as hard as he can and freezing up. It doesn't end well.

I'd say deliberately putting, for any reason, anyone anywhere in front of a car driven by someone explicitly known as a bad driver is pretty OSHA.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

sunken fleet posted:

Holy poo poo three hours? Doesn't death from exposure usually take days?

As a healthy 16 year old way back in the day, I went from a corn-fed, well-hydrated, well equipped, tough farm kid, to lying face down in the field needing to be dragged to a car due to heat exhaustion. 15-20 minutes I would have been unconscious or dead. It took a handful of salt, a half gallon of water, and 4 peanut butter and banana sandwiches to get me moving. Yay sodium and potassium!

That was only 95f. Heat will kill you quick. You feel just fine until you fall down and can't get up again.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

mostlygray posted:

That was only 95f. Heat will kill you quick. You feel just fine until you fall down and can't get up again.

a good time to remind people about persistence hunting, the oldest form of hunting, where you just chase your prey in the hot sun until it gives up and lays down to die

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=826HMLoiE_o

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I like to spin very fast as well.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

:yosbutt: more like :oshbut:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Kibayasu posted:

I'd say deliberately putting, for any reason, anyone anywhere in front of a car driven by someone explicitly known as a bad driver is pretty OSHA.

The idea of the show is to coach those people to be better drivers, and most of the participants do show a lot of improvement.

Not this guy though.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

boner confessor posted:

a good time to remind people about persistence hunting, the oldest form of hunting, where you just chase your prey in the hot sun until it gives up and lays down to die

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=826HMLoiE_o

The problem with persistence hunting is you've just ran for 8 hours just to get one meal for your family and now you're also 8 hours away from home. The cameraman should just give the dude a gun or something.

[edit] Why is forcing the animal to undergo 8 hours of exhaustion to the point it loving dies considered better and more honourable than killing it instantly?

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 11, 2018

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obkLDeO58Wo

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

spankmeister posted:

The idea of the show is to coach those people to be better drivers, and most of the participants do show a lot of improvement.

Not this guy though.

For what it's worth, I think he got his license revoked over that one.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Ak Gara posted:

The problem with persistence hunting is you've just ran for 8 hours just to get one meal for your family and now you're also 8 hours away from home. The cameraman should just give the dude a gun or something.

[edit] Why is forcing the animal to undergo 8 hours of exhaustion to the point it loving dies considered better and more honourable than killing it instantly?

What

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Ak Gara posted:

The problem with persistence hunting is you've just ran for 8 hours just to get one meal for your family and now you're also 8 hours away from home.

Because animals always run in a straight line, into unfamiliar territory.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

chitoryu12 posted:

The girl in the backseat doesn't even have her seatbelt on.

Ak Gara posted:

I don't think people think it is? It's just a very interesting thing that evolution has built us to do.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jan 12, 2018

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Ak Gara posted:

What the gently caress does honour have to do with anything? And have you ever tried to hit an antelope with a spear or a rock?

And "one meal"? That thing was bigger than the dude hunting it. That would feed a family for a week.

In short,

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Memento posted:

What the gently caress does honour have to do with anything? And have you ever tried to hit an antelope with a spear or a rock?

And "one meal"? That thing was bigger than the dude hunting it. That would feed a family for a week.

In short,

Why doesn't he spend less time and energy and run to the supermarket instead of persistence hunting that way no animals have to get tired and die??

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

Baronjutter posted:

Why doesn't he spend less time and energy and run to the supermarket instead of persistence hunting that way no animals have to get tired and die??

he lives in a food desert :smith:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Bozart posted:

he lives in a food desert :smith:

nice

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

spankmeister posted:

Not this guy though.

Right but you probably shouldn't put the host and a cameraman in front of the participants while that happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Wasabi the J posted:

:yosbutt: more like :oshbut:
Not :oshass:?

chitoryu12 posted:

He's loving up way before that. In the run-up to the obstacle he's staring at the speedometer and only occasionally glancing at the road. And then he twists his entire body to look at something they've already driven past, in the process pulling the wheel to the side, because he has no idea he should be thinking about where his car is going.

GotLag fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jan 12, 2018