Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Biggz posted:

I bought Kum Haehyun in a recent sale 'cos I didn't think I could get him by fishing. Was I able to buy him with game cash?

Arksys traditionally allows most their DLC characters to be claimed for free in the first week or two of their release. I know for a fact that I did not pay for Kum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Yeah she and dizzy should've been free at some point.

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

The character passes were on sale over Xmas, I think I picked up both for about £20 total? So roughly £60 for all the characters since the game came out doesn't seem too terrible.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
they should at least let you use characters you don't own in training

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Bad Parenting posted:

The character passes were on sale over Xmas, I think I picked up both for about £20 total? So roughly £60 for all the characters since the game came out doesn't seem too terrible.

honestly it's sad that people that support the game as new content is released get hosed over in the capcom model, and people who wait for sales and new editions benefit

in the xrd model the dlc char portions of updates are free after you upgrade editions of the game on their paid version updates

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

Zand posted:

honestly it's sad that people that support the game as new content is released get hosed over in the capcom model, and people who wait for sales and new editions benefit

Isn't that pretty much the same with every game regardless of genre? If you want something at release you pay full price, if you can wait a while you get stuff in a sale.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Madcosby posted:

I unlocked juri and lol @ the terrible modes fir fight money. Im not paying for characters ever. Juri is so bad its amazing. Wish there was a try before you unlock feature

Juri being by far the most popular new character in 4 and being turned into a worthless piece of poo poo who doesn’t even slightly resemble her old fighting style is hilarious

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Bad Parenting posted:

Isn't that pretty much the same with every game regardless of genre? If you want something at release you pay full price, if you can wait a while you get stuff in a sale.

no in fact if you read my post you quoted you will see I provided an example where this is not the case within the same genre

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

ROFL Octopus posted:

Juri being by far the most popular new character in 4 and being turned into a worthless piece of poo poo who doesn’t even slightly resemble her old fighting style is hilarious

She was never popular in a gameplay perspective, just in a fanart / waifu sort of way. I never met a single good Juri in the whole of SF4, ever. She was too hard, too weird and too weak for most people to do anything with.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I wish SF4 Juri was in a game I actually wanted to play, she's cool

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Zand posted:

in the xrd model the dlc char portions of updates are free after you upgrade editions of the game on their paid version updates

so you get chars when you pay for the chars

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
It was extremely enjoyable to hold the kick buttons and only let go of one when grief tried to move. I miss it every day.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Dias posted:

so you get chars when you pay for the chars

no when an update is new you get dlc characters for free when paying for the update for a limited time

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Xrd rewards early adopters of their games, instead of Capcom banking on catching hold-outs.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

mango sentinel posted:

Xrd rewards early adopters of their games, instead of Capcom banking on catching hold-outs.

that was basically my point

the xrd model still sucks and it's loving pathetic that even though it's that bad it's still better than sfv in such a huge way

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Zand posted:

the xrd model still sucks and it's loving pathetic that even though it's that bad it's still better than sfv in such a huge way

Support xrd at launch >>> get free dlc

Support sfv/mvc at launch >>> pay 80 dollars more than a holiday sale buyer

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It is still undeniably lovely that you have to pay for balance patches in Xrd. Worth remembering, even though I like the game a lot, that's a silly and off-putting practice.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

All games did it that way in ye olden days at least they did an upgrade pack for rev 2 instead of full price like rev1 and avoided a second version of bbcf like the previous bb series.

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jan 12, 2018

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Zand posted:

no when an update is new you get dlc characters for free when paying for the update for a limited time

So...you pay for the characters. Like $30. Except you can pay more.

My main issue with how Capcom does seasons is that they don't discount poo poo, but as I've done time and time again I think anyone that wants the old revision model is an idiot and anyone who thinks continued support should be free because "i paid sixty bucks" is a dolt.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Zand posted:

I don't think there's anything inherently better about either model, ideally both sets of players should be getting bennies of some kind of buying the game if they want to foster a healthy community.

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jan 12, 2018

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
If you buy AE the day it comes out you won't even own all the characters in the game at that very moment, and that's very off-putting to most people.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
heres an idea: im willing to pay more for a better product

if sfv was a good game i probably wouldnt give a poo poo about all of this.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Why doesn't this game have loot boxes yet. Does Capcom not like money???

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

anime was right posted:

heres an idea: im willing to pay more for a better product

if sfv was a good game i probably wouldnt give a poo poo about all of this.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

In Training posted:

It is still undeniably lovely that you have to pay for balance patches in Xrd. Worth remembering, even though I like the game a lot, that's a silly and off-putting practice.

not necessarily defending this, but I how much of this is because the paid versions have so many more new models/modes that would be a gigantic bitch to download over crappy capped PSN servers

every version of the game has had at least one free balance patch, it's only when they bust out new story modes and characters that its $$$ time.

Woden
May 6, 2006

Stefan Prodan posted:

they should at least let you use characters you don't own in training

Yeah, so far I've bought the Russian chick who I really don't like and Abigail who owns. Got 500k fight money banked but since I have no idea how the characters feel, I'm too scared to take a punt in case I get another dud.

Doubt I'll really dig Sakura but at least I'll get a chance to try her out. Shame it's so time limited though, it can take me a while to "get" characters.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Dias posted:

So...you pay for the characters. Like $30. Except you can pay more.

My main issue with how Capcom does seasons is that they don't discount poo poo, but as I've done time and time again I think anyone that wants the old revision model is an idiot and anyone who thinks continued support should be free because "i paid sixty bucks" is a dolt.

Season 1 and 2 both had significant discounts during the steam sale, hell even PSN has sales for season 1 and 2 chars. I know I bought Season 1 for like $10 instead of $30 on PSN. Costumes and stages don't get discounts though.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
If Capcom had gone for the F2P model properly, and made the base game free with a small roster, OR alternatively gone the MOBA models and made cash purchases only for cosmetics, they'd be sat on the biggest hill of money right now.
But :japan: developers (or their market, idk) apparently don't like it, so who knows.

(Well, and had good net code. How SFV manages to be SO variable given the same company has put out other releases that work better online still eludes me.)

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
I think they outsourced all the ports with ggpo, didn't they?

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

She was never popular in a gameplay perspective, just in a fanart / waifu sort of way. I never met a single good Juri in the whole of SF4, ever. She was too hard, too weird and too weak for most people to do anything with.

Daigo got loving mopped in SF4 by Aiai's Juri*, who went on to get I want to say top 4?

*and was even talking before the tournament about that being the one player he really didn't want to meet.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I’m not condoning the season model but I still have the distinct memory of paying $80 for SF2T on SNES to get four new characters that were on the original cart.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Three years later and the story art is still a solid funny troll

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Ugh the story art is so bad

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Everyone remembers this, right?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
I like the Juri story arts that verify that the parts of her costume that look like they were last-minute added with the MSPaint Fill Tool are exactly that.

TOO HOT FOR ESPN 4

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Jack Trades posted:

Everyone remembers this, right?

The artist began by drawing a downfacing dick and balls and added the head and arms to hide it

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Bleck posted:

I'm not disagreeing, but to be fair, the only fighting game I can think of off the top of my head where the large majority of important content is not at least partially locked behind some notable DLC costs is Skullgirls

Well there's this game called Tekken

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Brosnan posted:

Well there's this game called Tekken

The main competitive gamemode is locked behind a DLC though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I'm sorry, are they nerfing Zangief?