Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Samizdata posted:

Well, so far as I can tell, my old Core 2 Quad seems immune. So yay for my kitbashed old crap.

That's a vulnerable CPU for sure...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Samizdata posted:

Well, so far as I can tell, my old Core 2 Quad seems immune. So yay for my kitbashed old crap.

For anyone wondering, here's the complete list of Intel x86 cores from the last 20 years which don't do out-of-order processing with speculative execution:

Bonnell (First-gen Atom)
Saltwell (Die-shrink of Bonnell)
Knights Corner (First-gen Xeon Phi)
Lakemont (Quark)

Pentium Pro, Pentium II, III, 4, M, Celeron, Xeon, and Core lines are all vulnerable as are the later Atoms and Xeon Phis.

On the AMD side of the fence it's everything from the K5 on up as far as I'm aware.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

feedmegin posted:

Itanium doesn't (in the hardware sense, anyway). Not doing OoO type stuff is/was literally that CPU's whole schtick.

Cortex A8 is in-order with branch prediction (like IA64), and is vulnerable to Spectre (unlike IA64).

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

wolrah posted:

For anyone wondering, here's the complete list of Intel x86 cores from the last 20 years which don't do out-of-order processing with speculative execution:

Bonnell (First-gen Atom)
Saltwell (Die-shrink of Bonnell)
Knights Corner (First-gen Xeon Phi)
Lakemont (Quark)

Pentium Pro, Pentium II, III, 4, M, Celeron, Xeon, and Core lines are all vulnerable as are the later Atoms and Xeon Phis.

On the AMD side of the fence it's everything from the K5 on up as far as I'm aware.
You forgot about Transmeta Efficion, if there's still any of those around.
And outside of x86, it's most newer SPARC from Fujitsu, LSI, TI, Weitek and others as well as as POWER7 through POWER9.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

D. Ebdrup posted:

You forgot about Transmeta Efficion, if there's still any of those around.
And outside of x86, it's most newer SPARC from Fujitsu, LSI, TI, Weitek and others as well as as POWER7 through POWER9.

Lol everything is hosed

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I'm looking forward to perimeter systems running shelves upon shelves of 80486.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Potato Salad posted:

I'm looking forward to perimeter systems running shelves upon shelves of 80486.

Beowulf clusters shall rise again!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Beowulf clusters shall rise again!

I see an upturn in the used PS3 market.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The Cell CPU has both branch prediction and at least limited out-of-order execution along with caches (PDF). There's no reason to believe it'll be safe from this, either.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
Is my Powerbook G4 safe :ohdear:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Hungry Computer posted:

The battery might explode, but that's only tangentially related.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

I see an upturn in the used PS2 market

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Supposedly the Cortex-a55 is not vulnerable (it's in-order, but does do branch prediction so that may not be true), and if so is definitely in the running for the fastest chip that isn't.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm confused, is this a new issue? Not the one from last year?

https://thehackernews.com/2018/01/intel-amt-vulnerability.html
https://business.f-secure.com/intel-amt-security-issue

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

It's a new one. Joy of joy, 2018 is off to a great start. Last year was a remotely accessible auth bypass vuln to AMT. This one requires local access but is really bad for protecting from state actors.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

It's a new one. Joy of joy, 2018 is off to a great start. Last year was a remotely accessible auth bypass vuln to AMT. This one requires local access but is really bad for protecting from state actors.

aahahahahaha gently caress everything

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

And just in case that wasn't enough, microcode from both Intel and AMD are causing some platforms to experience instability.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

more more MORE

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

Just when I thought the week couldn't get any longer... :negative:

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Also

https://twitter.com/GossiTheDog/status/951897817429299200

ufarn
May 30, 2009
2018 is the year of desktop Raspberry Pi.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Microsoft has been very open and honest that antivirus providers will need to fix their poo poo before any future security patches are applied.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

ufarn posted:

2018 is the year of desktop Raspberry Pi.

https://twitter.com/Mythic_Beasts/status/948859240042647553

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

AV remains terrible

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

apseudonym posted:

AV remains terrible

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
Again, any PowerPC 604e and onward should be vulnerable.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Hey fun fact, all of Cisco's recent routers running IOS-XE and the current generation of ASAs are all using modern Intel CPUs for multiple planes.

I don't know what's in the new Catalyst 9000 series but I'd bet there's some Intel in those too.

gently caress everything, let's go back to the days of shoving a 68030 into every device under the sun.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Kazinsal posted:

Hey fun fact, all of Cisco's recent routers running IOS-XE and the current generation of ASAs are all using modern Intel CPUs for multiple planes.

I don't know what's in the new Catalyst 9000 series but I'd bet there's some Intel in those too.

gently caress everything, let's go back to the days of shoving a 68030 into every device under the sun.
What is your threat model where you are worried about Spectre/Meltdown privilege escalation on a networking appliance. What would your infrastructure even look like for that to be a concern.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

Hungry Computer posted:

Lain Iwakura posted:

Again, any PowerPC 604e and onward should be vulnerable.

Here's someone who ran a ported version of the Spectre PoC on older PowerPC platforms. G3 and 7400 G4 appear safe, everything else was vulnerable to varying degrees. My G4 is a 7455 so :rip:
So the only non-vulnerable computer I have is a Mac Plus.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

anthonypants posted:

What is your threat model where you are worried about Spectre/Meltdown privilege escalation on a networking appliance. What would your infrastructure even look like for that to be a concern.

There have been multiple ASA patches in the past year for remote code execution.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Kazinsal posted:

There have been multiple ASA patches in the past year for remote code execution.
Were any of those due to Intel CPU bugs?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

anthonypants posted:

Were any of those due to Intel CPU bugs?

No, but imagine a combination of the two. Remote code execution + a kernel mode exfiltration bug. Same kind of implications as RCE on a desktop, except on a router or security appliance.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Kazinsal posted:

No, but imagine a combination of the two. Remote code execution + a kernel mode exfiltration bug. Same kind of implications as RCE on a desktop, except on a router or security appliance.
Okay, so let's go back to my original question: If you've already got an existing buffer overflow, and you can remotely exploit that buffer overflow to execute arbitrary code, what attacker is going to spend time trying to trigger a CPU bug afterward?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

anthonypants posted:

Okay, so let's go back to my original question: If you've already got an existing buffer overflow, and you can remotely exploit that buffer overflow to execute arbitrary code, what attacker is going to spend time trying to trigger a CPU bug afterward?

The kind who wants to exfiltrate secure data from kernel space and from other processes like encryption keys and passphrases.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Kazinsal posted:

The kind who wants to exfiltrate secure data from kernel space and from other processes like encryption keys and passphrases.
Right, and once they have that why are they going to bother exploiting a CPU bug

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

anthonypants posted:

Right, and once they have that why are they going to bother exploiting a CPU bug

believe it or not, not every remote execution bug gives you immediate root privileges

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Jabor posted:

believe it or not, not every remote execution bug gives you immediate root privileges
Sure, but I refuse to believe that this was the case for, say, the IKEv1/v2 RCE.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Hungry Computer posted:

Here's someone who ran a ported version of the Spectre PoC on older PowerPC platforms. G3 and 7400 G4 appear safe, everything else was vulnerable to varying degrees. My G4 is a 7455 so :rip:
So the only non-vulnerable computer I have is a Mac Plus.

That is pretty cool.

If you can get your hands on Rhapsody and a developers kit, you can test it out on the pre-G3 processors too. Or you could run XPostFacto too.

Lain Iwakura fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jan 13, 2018

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Crossposting:

Mystic Stylez posted:

Re: cookies, is it bad to delete all cookies but keep session cookies from a couple logged sites like Google and Facebook? Because two-step authentication is great, but having to get a code in my phone and input it every time I want to check my email or something is not

Atomizer posted:

That's the whole point of 2FA though. It's supposed to require that extra step to reduce the likelihood that an intruder can gain access to your account. The moment you decide to get lazy and forego that 2nd step is the moment you compromise your account security.

Mystic Stylez posted:

I mean yeah, but if I keep accounts logged in only in my home desktop, wouldn't people still need to go through 2 steps to get into those accounts, unless they specifically got access to that computer? Or I'm dumb, which is probably the case.

Can anyone help?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Help with what? Yes, they will still need to use 2FA when logging into your account from a device that hasn't been remembered. It is more secure to require 2FA every login regardless of device, but having something remember you, or remember you for a set period of time, is a good balance between security and convenience.