Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

TorakFade posted:

I'm thinking of starting a new game as the mamluks, what's the current go-to strategy with the new dlc?

When I did the Levant Turnabout, I didn't even touch the Ottomans until the age of absolutism. Instead, I encircled them, cutting off as many potential avenues of expansion as possible, either by grabbing land for myself or through guarantees and alliances. With the Ottomans mostly contained, I focused on expanding into Arabia, Persia, and Zanzibar. Once the age of absolutism started, I jacked my absolutism up to max and finally went to war with the Ottos. I probably could have done it earlier, but in every previous attempt, any early war was devastating even when I won.

My first three idea groups were administrative, defensive, and offensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

I'm playing as Sweden for the first time, and I'm currently wrecking Denmark in an early independence war with the help of England/Scotland/Hungary. How much land should I take from Denmark? I declared right away so I don't have any claims. I could take all of Denmark's land on the peninsula without any coalitions forming but I wouldn't be able to accomplish anything else for quite a while. Is it a better idea to take fewer provinces so I can immediately attack the Teutons and Livonian order to get a foothold on the continent? Or vulture Novgorod after Muscovy is done with their first war?

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

canepazzo posted:

How do I Karaman? Any guides I find say to smother Ottomans with a web of alliances but I can't seem to be able to ally any of the big players - max improved relations, diplo rep advisor and one diplo rep mission reward, army built over force limit and Mamluks are still 10-15 points away to accepting a Royal marriage, let alone an alliance. Hungary/Poland even less so.

The only guys I can ally are the 2 beyliks next to me, Cyprus, and Candar. Maybe QQ sometimes. Just not at all enough to stand against OE once truce is over.

What am I missing?

Easiest way is to get really lucky with them getting wrecked by the Europeans in their first war.

If you aren't lucky you need to expand east and ally people who have a lot of troops even if they aren't immediately useful so you don't get DOW'd (Ajam, QQ, Great Horde). If you get instantly warned by Otto just restart because its not worth waiting 15 years.

Traxis posted:

I'm playing as Sweden for the first time, and I'm currently wrecking Denmark in an early independence war with the help of England/Scotland/Hungary. How much land should I take from Denmark? I declared right away so I don't have any claims. I could take all of Denmark's land on the peninsula without any coalitions forming but I wouldn't be able to accomplish anything else for quite a while. Is it a better idea to take fewer provinces so I can immediately attack the Teutons and Livonian order to get a foothold on the continent? Or vulture Novgorod after Muscovy is done with their first war?

Take it and go murder the orthodox guys because no one will care

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
The diplomacy macro is extremely good and I don't know how I lived without it.

New question: is there a trick for getting cardinals or is it just have high dev and hope for the best?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Xinder posted:

The diplomacy macro is extremely good and I don't know how I lived without it.

New question: is there a trick for getting cardinals or is it just have high dev and hope for the best?

Cardinals will only spawn in 10+ dev provinces. The more high tax Catholic provinces you have, the higher the chance of getting a cardinal in one. The more cardinals you already have, the lower the chance. You can always get more cardinals by conquering the provinces they are already in.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Traxis posted:

Don't take anything in your first war. Taking provinces in an independence war incurs extra AE, and it will make you have to compensate your allies with more provinces. Take as much money as you can, but you can wait to take provinces in the next war.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Tahirovic posted:

Pretty sure it will be France, but wondering what they can do since the more interesting things for France are in the 18th century and nobody really plays that long. I still don't have that "occupy the capital of a nation that is the target of a revolution" achievement.
Austria or Castile might be other contenders. England seems less likely since they got their custom government already (lets ignore here that it's a poo poo one).

It will totally be France, then they will add on 80 years to the end date and name it "Here is your Vicky 3, fuckfaces"

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Traxis posted:

Take blekinge and the money and end the war ASAP. Immediately start fabricating a claim on Danzig. Wait til Poland declares war on the TO and then declare yourself and drop some dudes on Danzig to occupy it before Poland can. Try to take konigsberg and Memel too if possible. Danzig will probably double your Baltic trade income, and it will be a pain in the rear end to take it from Poland later.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

canepazzo posted:

How do I Karaman?

You replay the first 10 years until you get a game where the Ottomans get hosed in their first Balkan war. Games where Venice and Hungary are allied are really good for it. Venice is very weird with allies tough, and they often gently caress up in the first year.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Fister Roboto posted:

Don't take anything in your first war. Taking provinces in an independence war incurs extra AE, and it will make you have to compensate your allies with more provinces. Take as much money as you can, but you can wait to take provinces in the next war.

I dunno, I'd strongly consider taking 1 or 2 provinces to expand where you can fabricate claims. Though most of those Danish provinces are fairly decent base tax now, so maybe it's not such a great idea.

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
How do I prevent shadow kingdom as Austria? I have the provinces from Venice, and am at the point I can fully annex the pope. Should I do that?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Finnish Flasher posted:

How do I prevent shadow kingdom as Austria? I have the provinces from Venice, and am at the point I can fully annex the pope. Should I do that?

Yea, annex him (be careful of a coalition — but if it’s that or miss your chance to shut down Shadow Kingdom, it might be worth the risk). Core all his provinces but do not core Rome. You will get a big old penalty for having conquered Rome as a Catholic but ignore it for now. As long as the year is before 1490 there should be a decision to Rein In Northern Italy. Take it immediately, it will automatically add all the relevant provinces to the empire. After a few months you will get an event where the choices are to keep Rome and get a relations penalty with basically everyone in Europe, or to give Rome back to the Pope. Give it back, he will now be part of the HRE and you should have no further trouble with him.

skasion fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jan 12, 2018

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

yeah take the provinces, then a decision becomes available, then give rome back to the pope. and maybe urbino too for another prince. there's like 5 princes hiding in the italian countries, smash up everyone you can to release princes

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

oddium posted:

yeah take the provinces, then a decision becomes available, then give rome back to the pope. and maybe urbino too for another prince. there's like 5 princes hiding in the italian countries, smash up everyone you can to release princes

Oh yeah, I didn’t do this because I wanted to have an unblockable invasion route into Naples since Iberian Wedding never fired in my game. But barring that circumstance it’s a good idea.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Tahirovic posted:

You replay the first 10 years until you get a game where the Ottomans get hosed in their first Balkan war. Games where Venice and Hungary are allied are really good for it. Venice is very weird with allies tough, and they often gently caress up in the first year.

This happened eventually, and I managed to snag a triple Wallachia/Mamluks/Hungary alliance, all of which joined in the offensive war.

One 100 WS peace treaty later, I'm missing Byzantium and the AQ province for Rum, Mamluks and Hungary got some territory so they didn't break alliance, and Ottomans went bankrupt immediately. Cue:

Byzantium declared on OE
Serbia+Bosnia declared on OE
Albania+Knights(!) declared on OE

Noble rebels
Bulgarian rebels
Peasant rebels

It's... beautiful.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I've successfully made it to 1821 for the first time, bringing Venice from trade nation to forming Italy. What fun! After decades of terror about the Ottomans I managed to be the architect of their downfall, and then turn around to stab my erstwhile Austrian allies in the back when they insisted on holding all this rightfully Italian land.

I am thinking about what I want to do for my second game. I really enjoying the trade lifestyle and want to make another trade empire. I didn't love the Merchant Republic mechanics since it turned the factions system into three buttons I could press and I missed out on some of the intrigue of heirs and estates and marriages.

One idea is to play with the custom nation. Basically redo the Venice game but with a bit more say in how I want it to start, changing the government (to what? what will give me the most interesting internal politics situation?) and changing what ideas I want it to have. The other is to play as Holland. Maybe at the 1444 start or maybe at the custom start that's about Holland.

Something else?

What should I do?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

custom nation shogun in the middle of the the

e: i think shoguns have to be in the japan region actually. custom nation horde in the middle of the hre

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Loving that Castille and Aragon had a succession war over Navarra and Castille used the peace deal to break Aragon's PU over Naples. This is a good start to a Portugal game. I don't want those Spanish creeping into Italy and drawing power from there.

With a good bit of luck (and a strong enough African expansion) I just might be able to hold Castille in a PU. Maybe even inherit or integrate them.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

doingitwrong posted:

I've successfully made it to 1821 for the first time, bringing Venice from trade nation to forming Italy. What fun! After decades of terror about the Ottomans I managed to be the architect of their downfall, and then turn around to stab my erstwhile Austrian allies in the back when they insisted on holding all this rightfully Italian land.

I am thinking about what I want to do for my second game. I really enjoying the trade lifestyle and want to make another trade empire. I didn't love the Merchant Republic mechanics since it turned the factions system into three buttons I could press and I missed out on some of the intrigue of heirs and estates and marriages.

One idea is to play with the custom nation. Basically redo the Venice game but with a bit more say in how I want it to start, changing the government (to what? what will give me the most interesting internal politics situation?) and changing what ideas I want it to have. The other is to play as Holland. Maybe at the 1444 start or maybe at the custom start that's about Holland.

Something else?

What should I do?

Denmark is a good strong naval/trade nation that'll learn you to manage subjects and monarchies and you can take their starting position basically anywhere you want

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
Thanks for the tips guys!

I recently heard about the caddo nahuatl strat and was wondering how it works. I thought you lose The strong national ideas when reforming?

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love

Grinning Goblin posted:

It will totally be France, then they will add on 80 years to the end date and name it "Here is your Vicky 3, fuckfaces"

Theres a bit they could still do with munster and the munster mahem that took place in that region. I could also see them adding some mechanic for french creating new vassals for the region they conquered without having any unique nationality (westphalia for example)

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

RabidWeasel posted:

I dunno, I'd strongly consider taking 1 or 2 provinces to expand where you can fabricate claims. Though most of those Danish provinces are fairly decent base tax now, so maybe it's not such a great idea.

That's true, but there's really only one country that you could feasibly forge claims on by grabbing provinces from Denmark, and that's the Teutonic Order. Any other country is either in the HRE or you can already forge claims on it without taking provinces from Denmark. And remember, forging multiple claims on the same country only saves you at most 1 ADM and 3 DIP per development - not something I'd say is worth incurring extra AE for. Sniping key provinces from the TO before Poland eats them is a good idea, but I find you're usually a little too weak to take them on right after you gain independence, unless you can get an alliance with Poland.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
If two colonial nations in the same region get independence from their mother countries, what happens? Like, if Colonial Mexico and Portugal both go independent.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Finnish Flasher posted:

I recently heard about the caddo nahuatl strat and was wondering how it works. I thought you lose The strong national ideas when reforming?

If you're a Native American tribe, you lose your native ideas (the ones you need to fill out in order to reform). But by converting to Nahuatl, you stop being a NA tribe. You get to keep your religious reforms as a Nahuatl nation even after reforming, and your national ideas don't change at all.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Democrazy posted:

If two colonial nations in the same region get independence from their mother countries, what happens? Like, if Colonial Mexico and Portugal both go independent.

Whichever one got free first will form the appropriate independent nation and get perma claims on the colonial region, and so usually absorb the later one unless it got lucky with diplomatic situation.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Finnish Flasher posted:

off top they nerfed some of the native american exploits/mechanics but you lose the native stuff for reforms which to be fair is extremely lovely, then replace it with nahuatl, then reform nahuatl in order to remove the downsides of that, while keeping the ideas and native traditions which are actually really strong(probably to make them non negligible opposition to european colonists)

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Finnish Flasher posted:

Everyone else covered this, but something else to keep in mind is if the Papal State has non-Italy provinces (like Avignon) and you don't take those, they'll just relocate their capital there so you might get the HRE province owned by a non-HRE member penalty from Rome. Just means one more war against an even weaker Papal State to take their remaining non-HRE provinces, but still worth mentioning.

IMO keep the provinces you seize in at least the Venice trade node, Italy is really dense with princes but also has some of the wealthiest provinces in the game so long-term you are probably better off expanding outside the HRE and releasing new princes there.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah it’s good to knock out some OPMs in Italy if you can, but if you got the right PUs, took care of Burgundy and are generally able to keep at least 50 princes in the empire (this will take a lot of demanding territory return and a lot of fighting against weak rear end German minors) it definitely isn’t a handicap to take and keep the Adriatic coast of Italy for yourself. Speaking from 1550 with HRE internal wars now disabled, and Castile safely unioned, this is a really strong strategy.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

skasion posted:

Yeah it’s good to knock out some OPMs in Italy if you can, but if you got the right PUs, took care of Burgundy and are generally able to keep at least 50 princes in the empire (this will take a lot of demanding territory return and a lot of fighting against weak rear end German minors) it definitely isn’t a handicap to take and keep the Adriatic coast of Italy for yourself. Speaking from 1550 with HRE internal wars now disabled, and Castile safely unioned, this is a really strong strategy.

Sounds like we're in the same place, I lucked into an early Castile PU and that combined with a Commonwealth alliance let me take on the Ottomans. On the fence whether to even continue my Austria game since I've already won :shrug:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

castile seems to get pu'd a lot now. maybe they're ditching their trash boy heir

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
Thanks for more tips guys! Yeah I already luckboxed burgundy, bohemia and hungary into pu's by 1480 and am now fighting over brandenburg with poland.

I just got a female heir, my dynasty will still keep on being hapsburg when she has kids though, right?

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

Finnish Flasher posted:

Thanks for more tips guys! Yeah I already luckboxed burgundy, bohemia and hungary into pu's by 1480 and am now fighting over brandenburg with poland.

I just got a female heir, my dynasty will still keep on being hapsburg when she has kids though, right?

Yeah this isn't CK2, you don't need to worry about matrilineal marriages - if you have an heir it will be of your dynasty barring some events, like the one putting a Habsburg on the Spanish throne

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Eldred posted:

Sounds like we're in the same place, I lucked into an early Castile PU and that combined with a Commonwealth alliance let me take on the Ottomans. On the fence whether to even continue my Austria game since I've already won :shrug:

I’m gonna keep going at least until I can PU Commonwealth and balkanize France to get Voltaire’s Nightmare. After that who knows. I don’t really find WCs fun. Can you restore the Roman Empire as the emperor, as long as you haven’t formed the HRE yet?

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008

Eldred posted:

Yeah this isn't CK2, you don't need to worry about matrilineal marriages - if you have an heir it will be of your dynasty barring some events, like the one putting a Habsburg on the Spanish throne

Ok, in my Portugal game my dynasty changed to the french one at some point when I was married to them. Dunno what caused that specifically, there were no PU's

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Finnish Flasher posted:

Ok, in my Portugal game my dynasty changed to the french one at some point when I was married to them. Dunno what caused that specifically, there were no PU's

If you die without heir you may switch dynasty, or get PU’d, or get dragged into a succession war — the “no heir” tooltip should show you which before it happens, though should you ever wish to avoid the latter two, they won’t occur if you are already at war.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Another hand-modding question.

In my CK2 game the current Ireland is the primary title over most of England, the ruler is Irish culturally, when it give provinces, I will be giving them to Ireland, but should I let England continue to have cores on them? I don't want Ireland to always lose and England to form, but I also want Ireland to have the chance of rebellions (I'll probably script a disaster like "English Lord Rebellion"). Should I not give Ireland cores over most of England that they do own? Or give them cores but not make English an accepted culture alongside Irish? Any thoughts?

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 13, 2018

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Another hand-modding question.

In my CK2 game the current Ireland is the primary title over most of England, the ruler is Irish culturally, when it give provinces, I will be giving them to Ireland, but should I let England continue to have cores on them? I don't want Ireland to always lose and England to form, but I also want Ireland to have the chance of rebellions (I'll probably script a disaster like "English Lord Rebellion"). Should I not give Ireland cores over most of England that they do own? Or give them cores but not make English an accepted culture alongside Irish? Any thoughts?

If they don’t have cores I assume they’ll start out the game with a bunch of overextension and not enough admin power to deal with it all right away. They will probably get a good size revolt early on at least.

If they have cores but do not have English as accepted, they’ll probably accept it as soon as they can, possibly right at game start, because it will be such a big part of their state development, and they will have relatively few problems with the English after that unless you set up a disaster or event or something to cause trouble.

What’s the situation in the British Isles apart from Ireland? Is there an England at all? English-culture minors? Who did the Irish originally conquer their English land from? If they’re still around, you could try giving them cores or permanent claims on the land they’d need to form England, which would force eventual conflict with the Irish without being a guarantee of England forming.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
What culture are the vassals in England? If there's enough English ones I'd suggest I'd suggest spinning off at least part of it as vassals, then your disaster could in part take the form of increased liberty desire.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

skasion posted:

If they don’t have cores I assume they’ll start out the game with a bunch of overextension and not enough admin power to deal with it all right away. They will probably get a good size revolt early on at least.

If they have cores but do not have English as accepted, they’ll probably accept it as soon as they can, possibly right at game start, because it will be such a big part of their state development, and they will have relatively few problems with the English after that unless you set up a disaster or event or something to cause trouble.

What’s the situation in the British Isles apart from Ireland? Is there an England at all? English-culture minors? Who did the Irish originally conquer their English land from? If they’re still around, you could try giving them cores or permanent claims on the land they’d need to form England, which would force eventual conflict with the Irish without being a guarantee of England forming.

reignonyourparade posted:

What culture are the vassals in England? If there's enough English ones I'd suggest I'd suggest spinning off at least part of it as vassals, then your disaster could in part take the form of increased liberty desire.

So the situation is this. There are three English minors; Northumberland (pink), York (purple), and East Anglia (Red) (Last two I made custom tags). Ireland and Wales divide the rest, and Ireland ironically only has a small part of Ireland itself. Ireland I am not done yet, I may simplify to match the duchies left in CK2, or I may leave it alone to keep the country # high.

Historically, the English Norman Kings unified England and Ireland in the 1200s (In CK2), but by the 1300s kept having massive rebellions, and every other kid kept switching cultures, from English to Welsh to Irish, which made all the English vassals mad. The Norman kings actually died out and the current King of Ireland (And holds the title King of England too) is an Irish lord who married into the Normans. The last major rebellion saw Wales break free with those English duchies (They actually were controlled by Wales, but I thought it made more sense for them to be free).

So in a way the current King of Ireland/England is a foreigner to English nobles, but he didn't conquer it, just inherit it unexpectedly.

Perhaps instead of giving cores to England, I can give the English minors cores over all of England, and give Ireland only some of the cores, that way they can't immediately expand.

Thanks for the help guys, and I am always open to more suggestions. I'll probably have a similar question with France later, as they have a ton of vassals who all hated the French usurper King, and most of those vassals are controlled by the previous ruling dynasty.

EDIT: On second perusing, I see that House Rose (The current ruling family of Ireland-England) inherited 2 kings ago, and the first two were Norman culture, it's just their grandson who went Irish. Torn between just making it England then, and having them climb back up from a much weaker than vanilla position (Especially because Scotland is PU'ing Norway, so they got more clout than usual), or leaving it Ireland and giving them only a few cores on England.

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jan 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The reformation just branched out in Bohemia and converted their capital to Reformed but it didn't spawn a center of reformation like Protestantism did (which first spawned in Lithuania lol?).

Speaking of Lithuania is it just me or does Poland have complete butter fingers when trying to hold on to the PU? It falls apart so quickly every single time for me.