Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pangurban
Apr 29, 2015

The "ayes" have it! :) I will be keeping mum as we go about anything I know of. I think it's funnier if we fail, too. For those of you who do want to talk spoiler talk, just keep it to stuff we've already covered, use spoiler tags, and don't be an rear end in a top hat about using spoiler tags. I'd rather not see comments that look like redacted NSA documents.

quote:

Rory opens and closes his mouth six or seven times, goes and gets a glass of water, drinks it down, and then returns to you.

"Well, good gravy. You don't mean to say..."

"I do. But, as you know, I have not seen Frankincense in quite a few years."

"And so this is what you meant when I first took you on? About becoming emotionally involved with your employer?"

"She spent a great deal of time in close proximity," you confess. "But that is long past."

"And yet the spark may remain. This is most unprecedented, Butler. You place me in what the great writers would call a 'love triangle', and it is most provoking to be in said triangle with one's valet. This is an affair of positively Shakespearean dimensions."

"I hope not, sir."

"Servants have been fired for less."

"I understand."

"Although this was in the past, who is to say whether sparks remain, just waiting to be kindled into a bonfire of passion and all those things in the romance novels?" Rory picks up and brandishes the copy of Although She Knew Better, by Miss Fifi Buttercup. "You see what I mean?"

"I would hardly compare our situation to that of the situation in Although She Knew Better."

Rory paces back and forth and then snaps his fingers. "If only I were certain about whether I even wanted to be wed to Frankincense in the first place. Well, there it is. When person A loves person B, but C and B also have a past, that's the perfect opportunity to test the strength of the relationship between A and B. Indeed, it could even strengthen the bond between A and C if it turns out that A and B are not what you'd call a match. In short, this sticky situation could be just the thing I need to figure out if Frankincense and I are soul mates, if you will."

"I don't think..."

"There we are. All solved. That's a relief. You'll come along with me, of course, and make a point of talking to Frankincense in a tete-a-tete. Then we'll know for sure. And Aunt Primrose could hardly be upset at me for breaking off the engagement if she's fallen for you. She may be furious at you, but hardly at me. Good night, Butler. Pleasant dreams!"

And with that, we end Chapter 1! :toot:

Chapter Two - On the Rails posted:

"All aboard!" cries the conductor of the 10:01 a.m. local to Woodland Centre, the village where Aunt Primrose has her estate.

As is necessary when you travel, Rory takes his sport two-seater automobile, while you take the train. You have charge of the suitcases, as Rory's small car would be unable to carry even half of the necessaries that a well-mannered gentleman and his servant need in order to maintain proper decorum and elegance for several days away from home.

With six bags in hand, you job down the platform at a good clip. Paddington Station is bustling this morning, and the taxi that brought you here was unaccountably slow. And so you are cutting this a bit closer than you would have preferred.

Working your way through a veritable obstacle course of humanity, you attempt to reach the train before it pulls away. But the flood of people that you must plunge through is vast - small children who seem to have dropped a coin under a bench, tour guides pointing up towards the great steel and glass arched ceiling for an enthralled crowd, families having their picture drawn by a caricaturist, station workers measuring the platform with a tape measure - and the conductor looks like he is getting ready to shut the door.

You simply must not miss this train: the next one isn't for two hours, and it would not do to arrive later. It would reflect poorly on Rory, and then he would not have the proper attire for this afternoon's fox hunt.

Just as you are nearly within hailing distance of the conductor, a man sporting a bushy ginger beard turns to the woman he is walking with, drops to one knee in the middle of the platform directly in front of you, and begins to propose marriage. The conductor takes out his pocket watch, compares it to the great clock at the center of the platform, and then clicks it closed with a satisfied nod.

What do you do?

Shout for the conductor to wait for me.
Charge straight through the joyful couple.
Slow down and wait for them to finish so as not to spoil the moment. Perhaps I will still be able to make the train.

Most current stats posted:

Reginald Butler

Your Sundry Skills
Bold: 54%
Culture: 25%
Intellect: 37%
Observe: 32%
Persuade: 36%
Skulduggery: 19%
Soothing/Abrasive: 37%/63%

Your Reputation
Renown: 9%
Tranquility: 15%
Suspicion: 10%

Rory: 36%
Frankincense: 44%
Aunt Primrose: 21%

Ready Monies: 25

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

That's a stupid place for a proposal. Charge!

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat
A proper Butler knows when to fade into the background. We slow down.

Also, I would be incredibly amused if Rory turned out to be Fifi Buttercup. Or Aunt Primrose. But mostly Rory.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I like that the game recognized we confessed our past affair to Rory and incorporated it into the plot, wasn't expecting that! :) Good way of doing it too. This game is impressing me more.

Shout at the conductor! If the husband to be wasn't expecting such an issue, he is an idiot and should have picked a better place to propose!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Shout at the conductor!

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Shout! Shout! Let it all out!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

ultrafilter posted:

That's a stupid place for a proposal. Charge!

This is a time for action!

Mad Jaqk
Jun 2, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

Shout at the conductor!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Charge boldly!

namehereguy
Nov 24, 2017
Charge:fsn:

Parenthesis
Jan 3, 2013
Oi!

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Charge!

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Charge!

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

outta my way:black101:

i desperately hope this comes back to bite us in the rear end later

Pangurban
Apr 29, 2015

quote:

With a keen eye and equally practiced feet, you weave expertly through the couple, jostling them only slightly. Unfortunately, the bit that you jostle turns out to be the bearded man's hand. The diamond ring bounces out of his hand, onto the platform, once, twice, and then vanishes from sight.

The woman swoons, and the gentleman shakes his fist at you. "You come back here this instant! I intend to file an official complaint," he shouts. "You haven't heard the last of this, I assure you!"

But you are on the train, and the door is shut. You made it.

And I mean, in our defense, y'all are correct that this was a rock-stupid choice of place to propose.

Also Achievement Unlocked - All Aboard! (You boarded the train)

quote:

The conductor directs a worker to stow your luggage, and then reaches for your ticket.

You and Rory discussed your travel plans last night, and based on Rory's financial situation at the moment, you argued that the best way for you to travel would be...

...the most luxurious way: first class (will cost 10 readies)
...a civilized, but economical way: second class (will cost 5 readies)
...the cheapest possible way: third class (will cost 2 readies)

Reginald Butler

Your Sundry Skills

Your Reputation
Tranquility: 15%

Ready Monies: 25

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
We are a civilized man, of course. But not profligate with our master's monies

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
We have the skills to defend our master's belongings from the unwashed masses. Requesting anything higher than third class would be a stain on our honour.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Second Class. We don't need to spend too much but we need to enjoy some comfort.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Be bold. Go for third class.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Civilised. Have a cuppa tea and think about how the heck we're gonna out of this mess.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Second class.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

We deserve nothing less than First Class. :wotwot:

Parenthesis
Jan 3, 2013
Second class, we are after all a gentleman's gentleman, not a some ruffian.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

First-class - need to be at our best for our current and former employers.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

third class I can't imagine we were anything but blunt about our finances

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Second class.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
So many wrong choices itt I'm tempted to just buy the game and play it for myself.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
second class we are not animals, we are a butler

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

If you'll recall, Rory's financial situation at the moment is pretty dire.

Third class.

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011
Third class

namehereguy
Nov 24, 2017
Second Class. We can't overstress our master's finances, but we also can't disgrace him by accepting accommodations beneath our station.

Pangurban
Apr 29, 2015

quote:

You explained to Rory that it would be best to make some concessions to economy, while not wholly sacrificing appearances. The second-class car is well-appointed and perfectly acceptable for your purposes, as you explained to him.

Rory sniffed a bit. "Second class, you say?"

"Indeed. Second class seems the best option."

"No, I don't think so," Rory sighed. "The old checkbook simply won't allow for it. We must scrimp and save every penny, lest the wolves come to the door. I am sorry, Butler. I'm afraid you must travel third class."

"But, sir..."

Rory picked up the newspaper. And that was that.

Uh... :confused: I know I said I'd keep quiet about things, but I will make one exception here and say I was not expecting that. If I was, I wouldn't have posed the question to you guys. Sorry!

quote:

The third-class carriage is loud and crowded, and smells of some ghastly combination of beer and lye. The carriage is filled with threadbare cloth seats that once were dark green, but which now have sun-faded to the color that peas turn when you look at them and say, "Are these peas still good?"

Several groups of students and workers are playing a complicated game involving dice and swearing, and a fellow is playing an out-of-tune folding harmonium in the corner, to mixed reviews.

From the rear of the carriage comes a shout: "I say! Butler! Butler! Cooee!"

It's Figs, Rory's old chum from his school days, the fellow whose unhappy love life you became privy to only a few days ago. He sits at the edge of his cloth seat holding an open sketch pad and a set of pastels, which he snaps shut upon seeing you. Figs can be best described as combining the least aesthetic qualities of an otter and a stalk of celery, combining a certain friendly-weasel-like facial quality with a long and lanky body. He wears a threadbare suit, in fashion perhaps ten years ago, dotted here and there with specks of paint.

"I can't believe it's you!" he shouts, leaping up and knocking a magazine out of the hand of a man sitting next to him. Figs reaches out his hand to shake yours. As if in slow motion, you notice that his hand is filthy, bearing a mix of the pastels he was working with and what you would guess are the remains of a ham and cheese sandwich with mustard.

I shake his hand cheerfully.
I clasp my hands behind my back and greet him cordially.
I pretend not to see his hand.

Reginald Butler

Your Sundry Skills

Your Reputation
Tranquility: 14% (-1%)

Ready Monies: 23 (-2)

Pangurban fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 13, 2018

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Shake his hand.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Pangurban posted:

Uh... :confused: I know I said I'd keep quiet about things, but I will make one exception here and say I was not expecting that. If I was, I wouldn't have posed the question to you guys. Sorry!

I've had both first and second work before - the only time I tried third he bumped me up to second; nice to see it can go in reverse too.

hand behind the back

rchandra fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jan 13, 2018

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Shake, shake, shake seņora

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Ah, the old cleverly hidden option choice. :(

Hands behind the back. I don't like this guy much already, no need to have to wash our hands a few scenes later.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Cordial handshake. We could do with having someone actually like us.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Gross. Ignore his hand.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

rchandra posted:

I've had both first and second work before - the only time I tried third he bumped me up to second; nice to see it can go in reverse too.

It's a relationship check, and if our Rory relationship was 35 or higher we should have passed... which it was? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Hearty handshake! We really need a friend.

• Locked thread